Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Saigon Kick

Go down 
+8
tohostudios
Eyesore
Lurideath
Lari
nevermore
Fat Freddy
Hadley
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 2:38 pm

Anyone here a fan of this band? They were mostly known for the ballad Love is on the Way but they're actually a lot heavier than that

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 2:41 pm

I liked 'em a lot when they were current, esp. the first three albums. Nowadays The Lizard still gets the occasional spin, but I haven't listened to the debut or Water in quite a while.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 2:53 pm

I'm a fan. I like the first two albums a lot. And the fourth one Devil In The Details is quite good as well.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 3:28 pm

I've only ever heard and own the Lizard. Good stuff that I listen to quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 3:35 pm

Not sure I'm a "fan" fan, but I do like their album The Lizard a lot. I have that one and the self-titled on CD. Both are actually quite good. This is a band that is really talented but all over the place musically. Which is also what makes them so good. It's part sleaze/glam, but also just heavy HEAVY metal, and then just pop music in another song.

I really like listening to both albums. Certainly not by the numbers boring run-of-the-mill band. Quite the opposite. But as usual with bands like this that try and reach too far (there is a song here for everybody on this album), it lacks the thing that would make it anyone's favourite band ever. I mean, I can't imagine anyone liking EVERY song on a Saigon Kick record. By trying to please everyone, they end up really not pleasing anyone fully.

My favourite songs are Hostile Youth, Feel the Same Way, Colors, All Alright, Freedom and What Do You Do.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 6:13 pm

Not really a fan, but I do highly respect them. Amazing musicians!! I met them when I was living in North Dakota in 94 and helped them load and unload their equipment. Lots of laughs with them. Damn good guys.

Glower likes this post

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 6:15 pm

Excellent band. I'm a big fan. Love Devil In The Details, which a lot of people seem to hate.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 7:10 pm

Huge fan! I love how their music is all over the place. I've got all their releases (at least as far as I know). I think they aren't as well known as they should be precisely because they defy genre classification.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Huge fan!  I love how their music is all over the place.  I've got all their releases (at least as far as I know).  I think they aren't as well known as they should be precisely because they defy genre classification.

Do you have Bastards? That's their last one. I've never been able to find a reasonably-priced copy. Very hard to find either way, was only released in Japan, I think.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:38 pm

I like the heavy stuff they did. Jason Bieler is a very good guitarist.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Love the first 2 albums. I was never ever able to get into anything after that. I need to revisit Water.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 8:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Huge fan!  I love how their music is all over the place.  I've got all their releases (at least as far as I know).  I think they aren't as well known as they should be precisely because they defy genre classification.

Do you have Bastards? That's their last one. I've never been able to find a reasonably-priced copy. Very hard to find either way, was only released in Japan, I think.  

That's why I said "as far as I know".  I figured with Eyesore in the thread if there was some obscure final album released only on the third moon of Jupiter you'd know about it.

I do have the Super Transatlantic album though

Last edited by tohostudios on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 9:01 pm

kethdredd wrote:
Love the first 2 albums.  I was never ever able to get into anything after that. I need to revisit Water.

Water was definitely a "grower" for me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 9:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

That's why I said "as far as I know".  I figured with Eyesore in the thread if there was some obscure final album released only on the third moon of Jupiter you'd know about it.

I do have the Super Transatlantic album though

Heh. I've heard some songs from it, and...it doesn't sound too good, to be honest. Very 90s, kind alt-rock stuff. =(
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 9:17 pm

I was just out on Bieler's bandcamp site listening to stuff he's released since SK.  Most of it I didn't care for (he just released a song on Aug 30).  I did like a few tracks from the "Houston We Have A Problem" album; that sounds more like SK probably because it's from 2013

EDIT: And I just went down to The Vault to see what SK albums I DO have and I found one I totally forgot about called "Moments From The Fringe". It's demos, outtakes and such. Looks like a subset of this collection is the first album listed on Bieler's Bandcamp site. I bought this CD used; it's copyrighted 1998 by BVB Music and was manufactured in England. I'll have to spin this and see what it sounds like. It has some known songs like Love Is On The Way and God of 42nd Street but I've never heard of most of them.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:00 pm

This is my favorite track by them:

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I was just out on Bieler's bandcamp site listening to stuff he's released since SK.  Most of it I didn't care for (he just released a song on Aug 30).  I did like a few tracks from the "Houston We Have A Problem" album; that sounds more like SK probably because it's from 2013

EDIT:  And I just went down to The Vault to see what SK albums I DO have and I found one I totally forgot about called "Moments From The Fringe".  It's demos, outtakes and such.  Looks like a subset of this collection is the first album listed on Bieler's Bandcamp site.  I bought this CD used; it's copyrighted 1998 by BVB Music and was manufactured in England.  I'll have to spin this and see what it sounds like.  It has some known songs like Love Is On The Way and God of 42nd Street but I've never heard of most of them.

Yeah, it's just a collection of random demos. Not great. Kind of a novelty release. Bieler also released a series a demo collections, which are actually pretty decent.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 pm

I haven’t heard anything I like from Bieler since Saigon Kick… but he is still a great player! He just needs to return to the heavy stuff.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2021 10:15 pm

The Super Transatlantic album sucks. I concur that it’s boring alternative 90’s crap!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 7:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Excellent band. I'm a big fan. Love Devil In The Details, which a lot of people seem to hate.

I don't understand the hate for Devil In The Details at all.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm

nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

It’s just as good as the “Water” album. Russian Girl is a good song.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2021 10:11 pm

Troublezone wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Better than Water, though "One Step Closer" is better than anything on Devil In The Details.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2021 2:06 am

Eyesore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Better than Water, though "One Step Closer" is better than anything on Devil In The Details.

Russian Girl is the highlight on Devil, and “one step under” the other song. Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 9:05 am

I never bought the Devil in the Details, I remember it was released on the short lived label CCM which specialized in signing hard rock/metal bands of the 80's that were cast aside from major labels and that label quickly sunk, taking Saigon Kick with them I suppose.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2021 11:49 am

manny wrote:
I never bought the Devil in the Details, I remember it was released on the short lived label CCM which specialized in signing hard rock/metal bands of the 80's that were cast aside from major labels and that label quickly sunk, taking Saigon Kick with them I suppose.

You mean CMC? They signed lots of bands including Priest and Maiden. The label signed too many bands, too fast and like you said sank quickly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saigon Kick Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saigon Kick   Saigon Kick Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saigon Kick
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next