Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage

Go down 
+56
glassprison
Highway Star
Noetic Effect
Wurthless
muckie
the sentinel
Troublezone
Glower
Icy Grave
DakotaRogers
TheGreatDuck
Orion Crystal Ice
Svengo
corplhicks
Vexer6
Witchfinder
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Chrome Locust
chewie
sheets
James B.
brokentulsa
CRIMSONMASK
Andy
TheDoctor'sScarf
DioRainbowManowar
The_Jayroh
mlotek
Lari
Alex Von Smythe
GrandNational
Hadley
A Handful of Wayne
metalinmyveins
Nico
DeathCult
Leatherface
stepcousin
tohostudios
adrian
Required Fields
Jesusandmetal23
scottmitchell74
QuothTheRaven
manny
bassman
rawr!
Joe
jstate
Sutekh
kmorg
thejokeriv
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
60 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Just watched TV with the kids, a show called Ping Pong. It's a kids mini-series, made by Norwegians, but largely filmed in China. This little girl got lost in Beijing during a ping pong tournament, and ends up at a rock bar. One of the band members onstage was wearing a Bömbers t-shirt!!! Bömbers are a Norwegian Motörhead tribute band.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28430

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 am

Although it isn't usage of metal music, I will mention it as it is metal related.

Remember that case back in the 1990s where Slayer was sued by the parents of a teenage girl who was murdered by members of a local metal band who were all big Slayer fans? The movie Jennifer's Body based part of its plot on that story, except the band was an indie rock band instead of a metal band.

I remember reading about Jennifer's Body before it was released, and when I read the plot details, I thought to myself, "Whoa, that sounds a lot like that case Slayer got sued for a number of years back!"

Last edited by Required Fields on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 3:26 am

The sit-com ManUp! played Warrant in a scene this week (here in Norway anyway).

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 am

Required Fields wrote:
Although it isn't usage of metal music, I will mention it as it is metal related.

Remember that case back in the 1990s where Slayer was sued by the parents of a teenage girl who was murdered by members of a local metal band who were all big Slayer fans? The movie Jennifer's Body seemed to use that case as part of its plot, except the band was an indie rock band instead of a metal band.

I remember reading about Jennifer's Body before it was released, and when I read the plot details, I thought to myself, "Whoa, that sounds a lot like that case Slayer got sued for a number of years back!"

That sequence in Jennifer's Body also uses the Great White club fire as inspiration.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned already and I'm not skimming through 8 pages, but watching the movie 'Bad Teacher' the other night, I heard Priest, Whitesnake and Dio playing throughout the movie.

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:47 pm

Supernatural has a tendency to play lots of late 70s/early 80s hard rock, especially during the introductory "flashback" scenes that begin each episode. Usually it's very predictable fare like "Carry On My Wayward Son", "Renegade", "Hot Blooded", stuff like that.

But last night I sat bolt upright and took notice because they used "A New Day Yesterday" by Jethro Tull prominently during an episode. One of Tull's early tracks and largely unknown to many people who think Tull didn't exist until Aqualung. Thumbs up.

Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Supernatural can be frustrating because it's great to see "classic rock" promoted on a fairly prominent tv show, but as you say a lot of the song choices are painfully predictable ("Hey, we need a BOC tune...I know, let's use Don't Fear the Reaper. That one isn't overplayed at all!").
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

Remember that case back in the 1990s where Slayer was sued by the parents of a teenage girl who was murdered by members of a local metal band who were all big Slayer fans? The movie Jennifer's Body seemed to use that case as part of its plot, except the band was an indie rock band instead of a metal band.

That sequence in Jennifer's Body also uses the Great White club fire as inspiration.

The Great White club fire homage was admitted by Diablo Cody, who wrote Jennifer's Body.

She didn't say anything about Slayer or using the case they got sued for being used as inspiration for a plot device, however. I definitely can't see it being unintentional, though.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Also, although it's not use of metal music, per se, it pertains to being a possible intentional metal music reference.

As you may know, Testament were mistaken for being a Christian metal band in the early days. They even toured with Stryper when their first album released.

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Reverend Lovejoy mentions the "Jesus rock stylings of Testament". This could be a reference to Testament being mistaken for a Christian band at one point of their careers, although this episode was made many years afterwards.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:47 am

The family comedy Zookeeper had lots of old '80's hard rock and metal.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:50 am

Quote :
There was an episode of The Simpsons where Reverend Lovejoy mentions the "Jesus rock stylings of Testament".

I like how Bart dismissed it. "Pfft. All the best bands are endorsed by Satan".

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Also, although it's not use of metal music, per se, it pertains to being a possible intentional metal music reference.

As you may know, Testament were mistaken for being a Christian metal band in the early days. They even toured with Stryper when their first album released.

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Reverend Lovejoy mentions the "Jesus rock stylings of Testament". This could be a reference to Testament being mistaken for a Christian band at one point of their careers, although this episode was made many years afterwards.

On a related note, there was a movie called "Strange Days" that came out in the early/mid nineties with Juliette Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, & Tom Sizemore. It was a "futuristic" tale about the upcoming Y2K apocalypse & the shenaningans of said actors. If I remember correctly, Testament was playing live at the big party at the end.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 10:04 pm

Quote :
On a related note, there was a movie called "Strange Days" that came out in the early/mid nineties with Juliette Lewis, Ralph Fiennes, & Tom Sizemore. It was a "futuristic" tale about the upcoming Y2K apocalypse & the shenaningans of said actors. If I remember correctly, Testament was playing live at the big party at the end.

That's a great flick, but if you blink, you miss Testament's cameo. They're literally in the film for about two seconds.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 pm

There was some cheesy early 90s comedy called Mystery Date. GWAR have a small cameo in it, playing at a club.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 9:50 am

Hadley wrote:
There was some cheesy early 90s comedy called Mystery Date. GWAR have a small cameo in it, playing at a club.

I actually had the poster for this movie. At one point in time I would collect them, either by purchasing them from a flea market that would come to Freedom Hall on what seemed a regular basis or put my name on something when they were done with it from the movie rental places. I liked that particular poster because Teri Polo (Meet the Parents fame) was lying on a beach.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 1:05 pm

I watched "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron earlier this week and was surprised to hear Suicidal Tendencies "Pledge Your Allegiance" used prominently in one scene.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
I watched "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron earlier this week and was surprised to hear Suicidal Tendencies "Pledge Your Allegiance" used prominently in one scene.

Was the movie any good? I wanted to see that one.

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Was the movie any good? I wanted to see that one.

It's a very good movie, directed by Jason Reitman (Up In The Air) and written by Diablo Cody (Juno). One caveat...the main character is COMPLETELY unlikeable, so take that under advisement. It's not a "fun" movie, it's very dark, but well made and Charlize Theron puts in her most intense performance since Monster.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:39 pm

Cool. I'm assuming it's out on dvd or OnDemand? I'll keep an eye out for it.

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:40 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Cool. I'm assuming it's out on dvd or OnDemand? I'll keep an eye out for it.

I saw it in the theater. The DVD comes out next week.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm

I wanted to go see "Young Adult" in the theater, but I missed my opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Although it's another reference as opposed to use of music, there's a Family Guy episode with a possible reference to Venom.

The Spooner Street residents are in a war over who should own a trophy. Rumors are spread about them, including one where Peter hears that the Swansons spread, saying the Griffins worship some guy named "Stan". Bonnie said, "It's Satan. That's a typo."

It's possibly a reference to how Venom's album At War With Satan had the type "At War With Stan" on the album spine. It could just be a coincidence, however.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 1:48 pm

Watched a South Park episode where the adults need Cartman's help to get rid of hippies in South Park who had come for a jam music fest. Cartman's solution (that worked) was to play Slayer's Reign In Blood because "hippies hate aggressive music". They played the song and all the hippies left
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm rewatching the remake of Dawn Of The Dead and all of a sudden my ears are greeted with Richard Cheese's lounge version of Disturbed's "The Sickness". In the context of the movie, it's hauntingly creepy. I have Cheese's Lounge Against The Machine album and it's pretty much a one trick pony but the use of it here is genius IMO.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 8:35 pm

Just saw the trailer for the movie version of "Dark Shadows" and apparently Alice Cooper has an appearance as himself. They show a clip of Alice in concert and then Barnabus says "ugliest woman ive ever seen".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage   Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Unexpected Rock/Metal Movie & TV Usage
Page 9 of 31Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 31  Next