Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scorpions Discography

Go down 
+24
jettafiend
brokentulsa
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
Required Fields
ShadowAngel
mlotek
ultmetal
snooloui
metalken
mr.electric39
metalinmyveins
Dave the Boss
James B.
DeathCult
Planchaaaa
kmorg
chewie
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
manny
thejokeriv
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:01 am

Scorpions Discography - Page 4 220px-13
Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Released 1978

Track List:

Side one
"All Night Long" (Roth/Meine) – 3:44
"Pictured Life" (R. Schenker/Meine/Roth) – 3:12
"Backstage Queen" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 3:44
"Polar Nights" (Roth) – 6:43
"In Trance" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 5:25

Side two
"We'll Burn the Sky" (R. Schenker/Dannemann) – 8:07
"Suspender Love" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 3:38
"In Search of the Peace of Mind" (R. Schenker/M. Schenker/Meine/Heimberg/Dziony) – 3:02
"Fly to the Rainbow" (M. Schenker/Roth) – 9:39

Side three
"He's a Woman, She's a Man" (R. Schenker/Meine/Rarebell) – 5:22
"Speedy's Coming" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 3:40
"Top of the Bill" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 6:45
"Hound Dog" (Leiber/Stoller) – 1:14
"Long Tall Sally" (Johnson/Blackwell/Penniman) – 2:50

Side four
"Steamrock Fever" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 3:41
"Dark Lady" (Roth) – 4:18
"Kōjō no Tsuki" (R. Taki-B. Tsuchi/arr. Scorpions) – 3:35
"Robot Man" (R. Schenker/Meine) – 5:47

In 1978 the Scorpions released their first live album. The album was recorded during two nights (4/24/78 and 4/27/78) of a 4 night stand in Tokyo at the Sun Plaza Hall. Japan was chosen as the site to record the album because Scorpions where much more popular in Japan than anywhere else in the world. Cheap trick and Judas Priest would also record live albums in Japan during this time period as the three bands were all more popular in Japan during their rise to fame phase. Uli Jon Roth felt it was a peak time for the band, with everything coming together. He also wishes the first night was recorded, as he felt that was the best of the shows. He also wishes the guitars were louder in the mix.

Since the Japanese love Elvis like the Germans love David Hasslehoff, the band performed a cover of "Hound Dog" during the show. They also did their own version of Japan's national anthem.

The album was released in Japan six months prior to the US/Europe release. The Japan release also had a different cover:
Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Tokyot10

Much live KISS' Alive, Maiden's Live After Death, Cheap Trick's At Budakon, Purple's Made In Japan and Priest's Unleashed, "Tokyo Tapes" is a seminal live recording and a must have by not just Scorpions fans but all Metal and Hard Rock fans. Everything just works on this album - Uli shreds as usual, new addition Herman Ze German provides the perfect backbeat, Rudolf and Klaus sound awesome.

Of note, this would be Uli Jon Roth's last album as a Scorpion. The band would spend the 6 months between Japan and US/Europe releases auditioning over 140 guitarist before selecting Matthias Jabs.

As mentioned, this is a must have album - if you don't have it, get it!

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 10:05 am

I used to have this album on tape and because I used to play it all time, the tape developed an annoying squeak, so I had to toss the tape out.

An excellent live album and features this line up of Scorpions at their peak and another one I need to grab on CD.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 820

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 am

This greatest hits was my first experience with Scorpions. Played this like crazy after the guy at the record shop told me if I wanted some great 'European' hard rock this would be it. This would have to have been about close to it's release date as Lovedrive was not out yet. Nor was Tokyo Tapes come to think of it. I was doing the flyer/paper route thing at this time as I was like 13 or 14 earning my hard earned pennies to buy these prized treasures (along with my pittance of an allowance).

As years went by it was a great springboard for me to delve into the 70's material this thread has already covered. It is most definately a ca$h grab as this covers a whole 3 records.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 820

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 11:45 am

The Tokyo Tapes was a comunity record in my neighborhood. If memory serves me correct, my friend Mike had the actual records, the rest of us had our taped copies after borrowing the record from him. Perhaps home taping was killing music because that one bought release alone was easily in a least a 10 to 12 households. My Unleashed In The East was pretty much the same.

The live album is great. Great sounding and nice selection of tunes. I do not have any idea if I still have my taped copy anymore (doubtful), but this does remind me that I should hunt down my own after all these years.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:44 am

I LOVE this album. I had a buddy in high school tell me that if I liked The Scorps I NEED to listen to the Tokyo Tapes. I did, dug it and it got me to buy the earlier studio albums.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 3:30 am

ok, I'm way behind on these.

Taken By Force: great album, end of an era with this being Uli's last studio album.

Best of: I had the original 1978 LP of this, summer of '84 I had my turntable-stereo out on my sundeck and left it out all day and melted this record. If it happened now, I would try my best to save it but back then I didnt even try. I was just a dumb teenager and didnt appreciate vinyl like I do now.

Tokyo Tapes: Legendary live album from the 70's, right up there with the best live albums of that era easily. My friend bought this on vinyl a week ago. Sounds so good.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 10:50 am

Scorpions Discography - Page 4 220px-15
Scorpions - Lovedrive
Released Feb 25, 1979

Track List:
Side one
"Loving You Sunday Morning" (Schenker/Meine/Rarebell) – 5:36
"Another Piece of Meat" (Schenker/Rarebell) – 3:30
"Always Somewhere" (Schenker/Meine) – 4:56
"Coast to Coast" (Schenker) – 4:42

Side two
"Can't Get Enough" (Schenker/Meine) – 2:36
"Is There Anybody There?" (Schenker/Meine/Rarebell) – 3:58
"Lovedrive" (Schenker/Meine) – 4:49
"Holiday" (Schenker/Meine) – 6:32

After Uli Jon Roth left Scorpions because he wasn't happy with the more "commercial" direction, the band auditioned 140 different guitarist and choose Mathias Jabs. His style of playing is noticeably different that Uli's style. While Uli was more of a neo-classical/Hendrix mash up style of playing, Jabs' style contributed greatly to the Scorps signature sound. With Jabs onboard, the Scorpions finally began to have commercial success.

After Jabs was selected, Michael's younger bother and guitar hero Michael Schenker was kicked out of UFO due to alcohol abuse. Being family, the band invited Michael back into the Scorpions fold. For a short time during the recording of Lovedrive, the Scorps had three guitarists. Michael only played on three tracks. I have had a hard time finding which tracks, but it is believe to be Coast To Coast, Lovedrive and not sure about the third one - if anyone know, please post the songs!!!!!

The other big change was the label switch from RCA to Mercury in the US and Harvest/EMI worldwide. The label switch worked wonders and the new labels knew how to properly push the Scorpions. RCA didn't seem to do a very good job at it because with the AWESOME music they released in the 70's, the band should have been huge prior to the 80's success. Lovedrive would peak at # 55 on the billboard charts, the highest the Scorps have ever been on the US charts. They where building a name in the US. The album would eventually go Gold in the US.

After the album was recorded and released, Jabs was, well, released. The band had "family member" Michael in tow and was ready to take on the world. I get the decision - Michael is family and blood is thicker than water. Unfortunately, Michael's alcohol abuse didn't stop and seemed to get worse. During the first few weeks of the tour, Michael missed gigs and even passed out on stage one night. Jabs was brought in to fill in for Michael on the nights he missed. After the first few weeks, family or not, Rudolph knew they couldn't continue with his younger brother in the shape he was in,. Mathias Jabs was brought in permanently at this point and the classic Scorpions line up was in place.

The album cover once again brought controversy. In 2010, I don't see the controversy, but in 1979 it was a big deal. I guess a woman's breast covered by bubble gum was an issue in 1979. Playboy didn't think so as it selected the cover of Lovedrive as the "Best album sleeve of 1979". The US release had a different cover:
Scorpions Discography - Page 4 220px-16
This one looked more metal than the sexual reference original cover. Personally, I prefer the original cover.

The album firmly cemented the Scorpions classic sound - classic metal with melodic ballads. This also starts my favorite era of the Scorpions. As awesome of a guitarist that Uli Jon Roth is, I do think that the addition of Jabs and his style really helped push the band into superstar status. Lovedrive is an AWESOME, AWESOME album. All you need to do is look at the track list to see all of the classic songs. Many of these songs still make it into the set list today. 'Loving You Sunday Morning' is a great, great album opener. 'Another Piece Of Meat' and 'Can't Get Enough' just rip!!! The title track rules! The classic ballad 'Holiday' is still on of their best and 'Coast To Coast' is an awesome instrumental still played live and it give Klaus a chance to break out his guitar on stage.

All I can say is if you don't have this album, you are missing out. Lovedrive is one of the Scorpions best albums ever.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 10:57 am

Lovedrive was the first Scorpions album I heard and is still my favorite to this day. I honestly think "Loving You Sunday Morning" is a classic song, there's a mature melodicism that most hard rock bands can't even dream of hitting. Looking through the tracklist it's amazing how many of these songs would become concert staples for years to come.

Always Somewhere is one of my favorite of their power ballads. Really not a bad song on the album.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40746

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 am

Lovedrive is where I started to really get into the Scorps. This is just a fantastic album from beginning to end.Not a weak tune on it. I bought this on vinyl with the original "sexual" cover and had it just til a few years ago when I sold off my vinyl collection.Of course, I have since upgraded to cd.

On a weird side note,I saw thses guys perform at the Monsters Of Rock. There was a reporter near me doing a review of the concert.He had to ask me the name of the instrumental Coast To Coast. I got no credit for it but I thought it was cool to be able to help the guy out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37928

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:01 am

Great album, and as joker sez it pretty much set the template for the Scorpions' 'signature' sound that they still play today.

I never quite "got" the joke of the original "bubble gum" album cover, it must be some kind of strange German humor that doesn't quite translate.

Fave tracks: "Loving You Sunday Morning," "Another Piece of Meat," and the fabulous "Holiday," which is still one of my fave Scorps songs ever.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:02 am

This is an excellent album and I forget Michael Schenker is even on the album, and he is one of my favorite guitarist!!!

Matthias Jabs was a brillant choice, he was so different from Uli Jon Roth, but it made perfect sense, Jabs could play in the more 'modern' metal style that would be in vogue in a few years thanks to bands like Van Halen and Scorpions.

Also IMO the songwriting became more constinct because you no longer had Uli Jon Roth's Hendrixy metal songs competing against the more down to earth songwriting of Meine/Schenker/ Rarebell.

Excellent album and is one of the few bands who knew how to write the perfect ballads.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 am

manny wrote:
This is an excellent album and I forget Michael Schenker is even on the album, and he is one of my favorite guitarist!!!

Matthias Jabs was a brillant choice, he was so different from Uli Jon Roth, but it made perfect sense, Jabs could play in the more 'modern' metal style that would be in vogue in a few years thanks to bands like Van Halen and Scorpions.

Yes - exactly!!!!! Jabs is an excellent guitarist and doesn't get enough credit.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 1:03 pm

I've got to backtrack a little. I don't own the greatest hits from the Uli Jon Roth era, but I wish I did. I remember seeing this around years ago, and it never dawned on me to pick this up. I guess I was of the mentality that it must have not been good, since nobody talked about the Scorpions pre 1979. Oh boy was I wrong.

I just bought Tokyo Tapes within the last couple of years. What can I say, it's greatness equals that of "Unleashed in the East" and "If You Want Blood You've Got It". The only omission that comes to mind is "The Sails of Charon". How does the best song on "Taken By Force" not get on a live record???

"Lovedrive" is a fabulous album! It contains probably my favorite Rock/Metal instrumental of all time in "Coast to Coast". Yes, I think it's better than "Orion", "Switch 625", "Call of Ktulu" and
"To Live is to Die".
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Amazon is selling 'Best of Scorpions' cheap and it is a great comp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000006LCR/ref=sr_1_44_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296846009&sr=1-44&condition=used
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 3:43 pm

Quote :
This also starts my favorite era of the Scorpions. As awesome of a guitarist that Uli Jon Roth is, I do think that the addition of Jabs and his style really helped push the band into superstar status. Lovedrive is an AWESOME, AWESOME album. All you need to do is look at the track list to see all of the classic songs. Many of these songs still make it into the set list today. 'Loving You Sunday Morning' is a great, great album opener. 'Another Piece Of Meat' and 'Can't Get Enough' just rip!!! The title track rules! The classic ballad 'Holiday' is still on of their best and 'Coast To Coast' is an awesome instrumental still played live and it give Klaus a chance to break out his guitar on stage.

Can I just second this.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 5:47 pm

phenominal album. First time I heard it I was 12 years old, it was the first Scorpions album I ever heard. Hooked me for life.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12819

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Tokyo Tapes is one of my favorite live lps. It is right below "Strangers....."

I am glad that M. Schenker didn't stay in the Scorps after UFO. Two reasons, first, we wouldn't of had MSG and secondly, Scorpions wouldn't have developed that dynamic that began with Jabs on "Lovedrive" and continued with the latter lps.

Can't beleive nobody's givin' any love for this song....my favorite on "Lovedrive"

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Tokyo Tapes is my favorite Scorps record overall. Great, great live album. Taken By Force and Lovedrive are both excellent albums as well, especially Lovedrive.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:46 pm

Scorpions Discography - Page 4 220px-17
Scorpions - Animal Magnetism
Released March 31, 1980

Track List:
Side one
"Make It Real" (Rudolf Schenker, Herman Rarebell) – 3:49
"Don't Make No Promises (Your Body Can't Keep)" (Matthias Jabs, Rarebell) – 2:55
"Hold Me Tight" (Schenker, Klaus Meine, Rarebell) – 3:53
"Twentieth Century Man" (Schenker, Meine) – 3:00
"Lady Starlight" (Schenker, Meine) – 6:11

Side two
"Falling in Love" (Rarebell) – 4:09
"Only a Man" (Schenker, Meine, Rarebell) – 3:32
"The Zoo" (Schenker, Meine) – 5:28
"Animal Magnetism" (Schenker, Meine, Rarebell) – 5:56

After the Scorpions began to have more success with the addition of Mathias Jabs on guitar, they headed back to the studio to record the a new album. Once again, there was some controversy over the new album cover. Unlike previous album covers, this one didn't have an alternate cover and was sold everywhere. The band and the person that designed the covered didn't quite get what it meant. They thought it was funny and everyone felt there was something rude in the picture, but nobody could quite figure it out.

What the band released was yet another classic album! The album would continue in the same melodic metal/hard rockin' songs mixed in with ballads. Scorpions would write and record yet another classic ballad, "Lady Starlight". "Make It Real" kicks off the album in a great, melodic fashion. "Falling In Love" is yet another classic. And the album also contained one of the Scorpions most classic songs ever, The Zoo:

[youtube][/youtube]

The Zoo is just one of those all time great Metal tracks!!!!!!!

I remember the first time I heard this album, back in 10th grade. A friend lent it to me and I was hooked. I never quite figured out the cover either - it just seems suggestive with out actually saying what it is suggesting...... I have idea, but it was good to know that the sleeve designer and the band didn't know either. The album is yet another must have. Some people prefer this one to love drive and vise versa. All I know is that it's an GREAT album!!!!

This is another must have from the Scorpions. It is classic, classic early 80's metal album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37928

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Ohhhh yeah. This is where the Scorps truly settled into their groove. Truthfully there isn't a duff track on this album, but "The Zoo" remains a personal favorite because years ago I was at a bachelor party at a strip club and witnessed a dancer performing a very, shall we say, "inspired" routine to that song, therefore it has very pleasant memories attached to it. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:53 pm

This album is a classic and was constantly spinning on my turn table.

"The Zoo' 'Fallin' In Love' and 'Make it Real' are all classic songs, and all have that trademark Scorpions sound.

As much as I like Michael Schenker in UFO and on his own, I am glad he opted to leave because IMO Jabs is a better fit for the band.

Great songs and the album still sounds great today.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40746

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Wow were the Scorps on a roll here ! Animal Magnetism is a great album !! Besides the well known Zoo,other standouts are Falling In Love, Twentiesth Century Man and the incredible title track. I agree that this is a must have. If you don't have it,do yourself a favor and get it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 pm

*sigh* I really need to get more Scorpions albums.

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Yes you do. Wore this out on cassette, my friends and I played this one to death back in the day. Everything is clicking here and I love Rarebell on this album.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12819

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 07, 2011 10:49 pm

"don't make no promises (you're body can't keep)" my favorite tune on this lp

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scorpions Discography
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next