Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scorpions Discography

Go down 
+24
jettafiend
brokentulsa
Dark Horseman
Shawn Of Fire
Required Fields
ShadowAngel
mlotek
ultmetal
snooloui
metalken
mr.electric39
metalinmyveins
Dave the Boss
James B.
DeathCult
Planchaaaa
kmorg
chewie
stepcousin
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
manny
thejokeriv
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:03 am

metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Overall, if you are in a mellow, melodic mood it's not a bad listen. I hadn't heard it in years before listening to it for this review and I remember why - I have a really hard time listening to Scorpions try to sound like the Goo Goo Dolls or any adult alt rock band. If you don't have this one, you aren't missing much. It's crazy how far the mighty Scorpions had fallen.....

Thanks for saving me from grabbing this one. The $500,000 question will be, is this the worst Scorpions album or will it be the next steaming pile of hooha called "Eye II Eye"? Regarding the Goo Goo Dolls, I actually love "Hold Me Up" and "Superstar Car Wash" (which were albums prior to their explosion on the scene). I like a "Boy Named Goo" as well, but I can understand why people would hate this. With that being said, I don't want the Scorps to venture into unknown territory, by trying to sound like certain 90's alternative bands.

'A Boy name Goo' is a heavier album than this one!!!!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 am

thejokeriv wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Overall, if you are in a mellow, melodic mood it's not a bad listen. I hadn't heard it in years before listening to it for this review and I remember why - I have a really hard time listening to Scorpions try to sound like the Goo Goo Dolls or any adult alt rock band. If you don't have this one, you aren't missing much. It's crazy how far the mighty Scorpions had fallen.....

Thanks for saving me from grabbing this one. The $500,000 question will be, is this the worst Scorpions album or will it be the next steaming pile of hooha called "Eye II Eye"? Regarding the Goo Goo Dolls, I actually love "Hold Me Up" and "Superstar Car Wash" (which were albums prior to their explosion on the scene). I like a "Boy Named Goo" as well, but I can understand why people would hate this. With that being said, I don't want the Scorps to venture into unknown territory, by trying to sound like certain 90's alternative bands.

'A Boy name Goo' is a heavier album than this one!!!!

Wow!!!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40752

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:57 am

Never heard Pure Instinct even though I guy I used to work with had it (with the naked family in the cage cover). I just didn't feel too inclined to give it a listen to.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I didn't even know this album existed at the time....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37928

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:48 pm

"Wild Child" is about the only song on this one that's a keeper, and even that is not a great track. It just sounds better when compared to the rest of the album. Zzzzzzzzzz.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 12:53 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
"Wild Child" is about the only song on this one that's a keeper, and even that is not a great track. It just sounds better when compared to the rest of the album. Zzzzzzzzzz.

I listened to this song this morning on youtube, and I thought to myself, this is pretty good, and then I heard some of the other stuff, .................................uh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:12 pm

Quote :
Pure Instinct" should have been called "Pure Sh!t". 95% ballady crap, 5% uncomfortable rock.

Best review ever.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 1:21 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :
Pure Instinct" should have been called "Pure Sh!t". 95% ballady crap, 5% uncomfortable rock.

Best review ever.

It's like what Marti Dibergi stated to Spinal Tap, "One critic simply stated that instead of calling the album Shark Sandwich, you should have called it Sh!t Sandwich"!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 2:53 pm

I have this album and I do not remember a single song from it!!! I love Scorpions but this album sounds like Matchbox Scorpions , not sure what audience they were trying to appeal to with this release, maybe they were courting the crowd that shops strictly out of the cut out bin.

I am going to listen to this album sometime during the week and see if I still think if its as horrid as I remember.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12820

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 5:00 pm

Quote :
not sure what audience they were trying to appeal to with this release, maybe they were courting the crowd that shops strictly out of the cut out bin.

They were going for the Yanni, I mean Yawni crowd.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 am

Scorpions Discography - Page 8 220px-19
Scorpions - Deadly Sting: The Mercury Years
Released July 15, 1997

Track List:
DISC ONE
1. "Loving You Sunday Morning" (5:36)
2. "Lovedrive" (4:51)
3. "Holiday" (6:47)
4. "Make It Real" (3:50)
5. "Zoo" (5:29)
6. "Blackout" (3:48)
7. "Can't Live Without You" (3:45)
8. "No One Like You" (3:56)
9. "China White" (6:57)
10. "Dynamite" (4:12)
11. "Bad Boys Running Wild" (3:55)
12. "Rock You Like a Hurricane" (4:12)
13. "Coming Home" (4:49)
14. "Big City Nights" (4:09)
15. "Still Loving You" (6:27)
16. "Coast to Coast" [live] (4:52)

17. "Don't Stop at the Top" (4:03)
18. "Rhythm of Love" (3:48)
19. "Passion Rules the Game" (3:59)
20. "Walking on the Edge" (5:08)
21. "Believe in Love" (5:23)
22. "I Can't Explain" (3:21)
23. "Tease Me, Please Me" (4:44)
24. "Don't Believe Her" (4:55)
25. "Wind of Change" (5:12)
26. "Hit Between the Eyes" (4:35)
27. "Send Me an Angel" (4:33)
28. "Alien Nation" (5:44)
29. "Under the Same Sun" (4:52)
30. "Woman" (5:56)
31. "In Trance" [live] (4:19)
32. "Over the Top" (4:24)
33. "Life Goes Around" (3:41)

What is a record label to do when a band's contract expires and they go to a new label? Well, what the coked up execs at record labels always do and that is release a 'Greatest Hits' album. Scorpions have released a few over the years starting with 'Best Of Scorpions' in the 70's from RCA to 'Best Of Rockers And Ballads'. The latest one only includes songs recorded for Mercury records with two new tracks. A nice inclusion on this one is a live recording from the Uli Jon Roth era, "In Trance'.

The album cover once again had some controversy, this time some outlets didn't like the nude woman on the cover so a alternate cover was created with the woman removed:

Scorpions Discography - Page 8 220px-20

Of course, that shouldn't surprise anyone since Scorpions tend to put naked or partially dressed woman on album covers frequently. After this one, the record labels would release comp after comp including the '20th Century Masters' series and the 'Gold' series. Every band that had a deep catalog seemed to have an album in those series....

As far as the tracks chosen, it's a good overview of the Mercury years. I don;t actually have this one and I haven't heard the 'unreleased' new tracks, so I can't comment on those. I am guessing that I am not missing anything since they aren't 'hits'. If you have they other albums on Mercury, you don't need this one.....
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:11 pm

I thought about picking this set up years back when I didn't have any Scorps on CD, figuring it would be a cheap shortcut, but never got around to it...and since I eventually collected most of their Mercury output anyway, there's no point in picking it up now.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:23 pm

If your looking for just the hits then it's a good one and it can be found cheap.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 pm

This is another one that I would see in the used shops quite a bit. Picked it up a few times but never pulled the trigger. The Best of Rockers and Ballads was good enough for me.

Didn't know about the alternate cover for this one though. The original doesn't seem that bad to me. At least compared to some of their others in the past. Ah well.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 12:44 pm

I've also seen this in the used C.D store that I frequent, but I was always dead set on owning all the Scorpions catalog of these years in particular. I think the 2 C.D set is almost perfect. The only changes I would make would on the first disc would be the elimination of "Make It Real" and adding the likes of either "Falling in Love" or "Animal Magnetism", and eliminating "Dynamite" and adding "I'm Leaving You" instead, but I'm splitting hairs here, as these aren't huge omissions. I would rather have the live version of "Can't Live Without You" instead of the studio version. Kudos to the band for having the live version of "Coast to Coast" instead of the studio version. That song is simply mind blowing live! I would be remiss if I didn't mention "China White". Any Scorpions greatest hits package with this song makes it worth getting, as it is easily the greatest Scorpions song that fly's under the radar.

The second disc surprisingly has five songs off of "Savage Amusement". I like all those songs, but that was the album that got Dieter Dirks fired. I wonder if the band had a say so in any of these songs being on this particular greatest hits package? If they did, then the band must have had a change of heart regarding their feelings about this period in their history...

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40752

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:40 pm

I've never seen Deadly Sting used or I would have picked it up. Since then though I've been able to pick up most of the dics I needed so I don't think I'll ever be getting it now.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm

I have this it is a very good overview of their most popular period, as far as the two new songs I can't remember them so that should tell you how good they were
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12820

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 pm

This is a great listen on long drives headbanger

There is a better Scorps comp. Guess it's coming later in the thread ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:08 am

Scorpions Discography - Page 8 220px-21
Scorpions - Eye II Eye
Released March 9, 1999

Track List:
1. Mysterious (5:28)
2. To be No. 1 (3:57)
3. Obsession (4:09)
4. 10 Light Years Away (3:52)
5. Mind Like a Tree (5:34)
6. Eye II Eye (5:01)
7. What U Give U Get Back (5:02)
8. Skywriter (4:55)
9. Yellow Butterfly (5:44)
10. Freshly Squeezed (3:58)
11. Priscillav3:17)
12. Du Bist So Schmutzig (3:55)
13. Aleyah (4:19)
14. A Moment in a Million Years (3:38)

Nothing to see here...... move along....

Scorpions, really? Seriously? What is this crap????? To paraphrase Ult's review of Queensryche's 'Hear In The Now Frontier' - this is NOT Scorpions. This is a group of aliens who have come down to earth and taken the form of Klaus and his cohorts in an effort to force feed us pure horse crap!

Since that is out of the way, I might as well write something about the album.......... Um...... The most interesting fact is that James Kottak was hired as the new Scorpions drummer. But, I have no idea why the even bothered to list him on the credits of this album as the drums on the entire album sounds like a drum machine.......

They did release a video for the song "To Be No. 1" which featured a Monica Lewinsky look alike and cigars. The video is just embarrassing - I felt embarrassed for Scorpions. The new "look" with Klaus strutting around thinking he is Bono and the dancing..... have a look for yourself if you can handle it:

[youtube][/youtube]

This is by far the absolute worst Scorpions album. This one makes 'Pure Instinct' sound like a masterpiece! Avoid at all cost - do not waste your money on this garbage!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am

I think I downloaded this one just to hear how bad it was.............

That Bono look is funny!
Why/how did they think this was a good idea?!?!?!

Last edited by chewie on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:22 am

Someone at this site had either started a thread about the album "Eye II Eye" or it ended up becoming the focus within the thread. People were ripping on it left and right, so it made me curious enough to listen to the tunes on youtube. Needless to say, I will never get those few hours of my life back. I know the album isn't a few hours long, but that's how long it took me to get through this steaming pile...The Scorpions should have called this album "Anus II Toilet", because what came out of these studio sessions was maybe the most wretched stank I've ever heard from a metal band.

People like to rip on Metallica's St. Anger, Blaze Bayley Iron Maiden albums, Tim "Ripper" Owens w/Judas Priest albums, Megadeth's Risk, Def Leppard's X (and whatever else I might have forgotten), but really when you look at it, is there anything that is truly as bad as this release? This album SUCKS from top to bottom. Normally I can find at least one song that I like on any album, but not this one. It's embarrassing on so many levels.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 am

So the whole album is like that 'Be No. 1' song? Wow. If I had anything positive to say, the Monica in the video was better looking than the real one. The Bono-look was spot-on. Funny!

What do the Scoprs think of this album today? Do any tracks get played live at all or do they just sweep this release under the carpet?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 am

Never heard this one other than the "To Be No. 1" song (which I YouTubed out of curiosity the last time the topic of this album came up around here) and that was all I needed to hear. Yuck.

I'm normally a completist when it comes to bands I like but somehow I doubt I'll be picking up this CD anytime soon.

On a related note, anyone remember the old VH1 show "Where Are They Now?" which would feature updates on "old" bands? Viewers would e-mail questions like "I used to love (name of band), where are they now?" ... anyway, while "Eye II Eye" was a current release the show did an "update" on the Scorpions. The band were filmed standing on a rooftop somewhere, Klaus thanked the viewer for her question and reported that not only were the Scorpions still active and still rockin', but their new album "Eye II Eye" had just gone to #1 on the charts... in Malaysia. I was like "Uhh, that's great, guys. Just how many copies do you need to sell in Malaysia to do that anyway? Two, maybe three dozen?" Laughing very hard

MetalGuy wrote:
Do any tracks get played live at all

Maybe in Malaysia. Laughing

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 11:48 am

Scorpions Discography - Page 8 288219
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm

I do not love the album and it is easily their worst album in their discography, but I kind of enjoyed the album because it was so different and weird to hear them do this type of music.

I have not listened to this album in eons so I will give it another spin over the weekend and see if I still like it or hate it like most Scorpions fans do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scorpions Discography   Scorpions Discography - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scorpions Discography
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next