Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cathedral

Go down 
+15
Leatherface
DallasBlack
scottmitchell74
nevermore
GrandNational
outofstep
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
TrogDawn
SideShowDisaSter
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
mc666
Hamer12
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:04 am

I picked up "Carnival Bizzare" a couple of weeks ago, I have'nt stopped listening to it yet!!! Man this album is HEAVY!!!! I've got 4 others, but this one is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm

Cathedral are great. i guess my fave is The Ethereal Mirror.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:36 pm

Hard to pick a favorite. Cathedral are one of the band's I get "in the mood for". When I do I tend to go through all their CDs in my collection. I actually haven't listened to them in some time. Might have to dig some out for tomorrow.

ult

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm

I'm a big fan of Supernatural Birth Machine. I don't think it's one of the fan favorites, but I like it. When I heard "Urko's Conquest", I thought that any band that can write a song about The Planet of the Apes rules!! There's still 2 or 3 releases that I haven't picked up yet, but I dig 'em.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 1:12 pm

I really like The Ethereal Mirror and The Carnival Bizarre.

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Great music, but for some reason I can't stand the vocals. =(
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Great music, but for some reason I can't stand the vocals. =(
Same here, I can't stand Lee Dorrian's vox either. But I also think their songwriting leaves a lot to be desired in general and seems to "try too hard" from what I can hear and IMO. I can tolerate precious little of their output, mainly their Sabbath covers (when Lee can be bothered to sing on key) and a few select tracks from their other albums. My favorite disc, and it's not even a full length, is Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) - they NAILED it on that title track, IMO. But you'd think since I'm such a huge fan of doom and stoner, that I'd be all over these guys (and I have tried to get into them with several of their albums) but they just don't get me off all that much. surprised

I have similar problems with CANDLEMASS and SOLITUDE AETURNUS. They are both great doom bands by what seems like everybody's standards, but for some reason they just don't move me personally. Neutral

Last edited by on Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 5:01 pm

I have the three CD's mentioned above, with Carnival Bizzare being my favorite. Fans of Cathedral should make sure and check out the CD "Alkahest" by Paul Chain. It's full of Lee Dorian & doom riffs. And Chain claims to sing in the French tradition (Magma), in a language that doesn't exist.
I think some stoner/doom bands sometimes play or sing out of tune on purpose, why I don't know. This goes all the way back to Buffalo's song "Dune Messiah", which had a great riff but was damaged because they played it out of tune on purpose (either that or they were really stoned). I think Dorian uses this "technique"; he seems to be able to stay in tune when he wants to anyway. I guess I think of it kind of like cookie monsters, I can get past it, but I'd prefer they not do it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 9:52 pm

Cathedral are a cool, but weird, band. Like Ult said, I gotta be in the mood for them, I don't have many of their discs but THE ETHEREAL MIRROR is my favorite.

I saw Cathedral open for Fight (w/Rob Halford) on their tour in support of ETHEREAL MIRROR and they were an excellent live band... though they didn't really go over very well with the majority of the Fight crowd (who were there to get into a pit and kill each other; ya can't really slam to a lot of Cathedral stuff, hahaha!)
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 10:46 pm

TrogDawn wrote:
I have similar problems with CANDLEMASS and SOLITUDE AETURNUS. They are both great doom bands by what seems like everybody's standards, but for some reason they just don't move me personally. Neutral
fainting

TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2007 11:41 pm

mc666 wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
fainting
I know, I know...I always get that reaction when I mention this fact. Cathedral 309780
Back to top Go down

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 4:28 am

Cathedral's Doom stuff is better than their Stoner/Boogie stuff...their last 3 albums (Endtyme, VIIth Coming, Garden Of Unearthly Delights) are very cool....
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 9:09 am

I brought in Supernatural Birth Machine today. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 11:24 am

So did I. I like Lee's vocals. They are different, maybe that is why. To me they add more than they take away.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 12:44 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm a big fan of Supernatural Birth Machine. I don't think it's one of the fan favorites, but I like it. When I heard "Urko's Conquest", I thought that any band that can write a song about The Planet of the Apes rules!!

Same here. It was my first Cathedral cd I had purchased. Urko's Conquest and Birth Machine 2000 are my faves. I've since gotten The Ethereal Mirror (Ride is a killer tune !) and think it's great as well. I'll have to pick up more of their releases.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2007 7:35 pm

Cathedral A0024349
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 pm

I was listening to Garden of Unearthly Delights today at work with headphones on. While I didn't dig this album right off the bat, it really sunk in today. Multiple times I hit replay. Really cool stuff. I like the female vocals, the children's chorus, the spoken-word interludes, slow doomy numbers, faster-paced rock. What a difference a big ol' pair of headphones make when listening to music!!
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 11:11 pm

Great band! Forest of equillibrium, ethereal mirror, and the VIIth coming are my favorites, but really, they havn't made a bad record. I still need to fill in a few gaps in my cathedral collection, notably the previosly mentioned hopkins ep.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 12:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I was listening to Garden of Unearthly Delights today at work with headphones on. While I didn't dig this album right off the bat, it really sunk in today. Multiple times I hit replay. Really cool stuff. I like the female vocals, the children's chorus, the spoken-word interludes, slow doomy numbers, faster-paced rock. What a difference a big ol' pair of headphones make when listening to music!!
that's the best way to really appreciate a bands music. Very Happy

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 2:26 am

I've liked everything they've put out. Great music to just jam to and have a major doomfest at the same time.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 10:35 pm

The Ethereal Mirror and Supernatural Birth Machine are my favorites.

I saw Cathedral live once when they were supposed to open for Trouble. The show was supposed to be cancelled but Cathedral played that night.
Back to top Go down

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Actually had a beer with Lee Dorian during the Carnival Bizarre tour when they stopped in Huntington, WV. Great band when you can get them on a creative day. Carnival Bizarre, Ethereal Mirror, Soul Sacrifice EP, Forest of Equilibrium are awesome. The rest I can do without.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 10:53 pm

Quote :
Huntington, WV.

Did you just happen to be there for that? I went to KCC in Grayson, KY and worked in Ashland, KY and spent quite a bit of time in Huntington so just curious of you lived there or what....
Back to top Go down

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 10:56 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Huntington, WV.

Did you just happen to be there for that? I went to KCC in Grayson, KY and worked in Ashland, KY and spent quite a bit of time in Huntington so just curious of you lived there or what....

I was born and raised in Parkersburg, WV and still love it there. Huntington was about an hour drive from home, and bands seemed to play there because of Marshall University. In about a year period I think Cathedral, Dissection and Morbid Angel were just a couple of the bands that came through liitle ol' Huntington. Smile
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitimeSat Nov 03, 2007 11:07 pm

Yeah, I spent a day there once with two college buddies before I left for Africa. Saw a movie there in an old style theater. We saw The Fifth Element. I always passed close by Parkersburg on the way to and fro on 77 when I was in college.....near the Ohio River...nice!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cathedral Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cathedral   Cathedral Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cathedral
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next