Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus

Go down 
+10
DeathCult
krokus
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
Sinistar
manny
Zdan
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
14 posters
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Empty
PostSubject: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:40 pm

Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus 51vFVGaAQwL._SL500_AA300_

Any fans of this album. I think it is still my favorite BÖC album. The 1980 thread got me into listening to it again. I decided to re-read the review in Creem Magazine from 1980 on this album and was shocked what I read...

"Cultasaurus Ecectus is most assuredly the worst thing they've ever don in their lives. And this is fan talking.

So what's to be done after you've flicked your bic att he BOC schlock and written them off as mere heavy metal blunderes on their way to dinosauric extinction? Well for started Cult should do the same thing the Who should've done to their lead singer years ago: Kick him the hell out! Anyone for layzers?" -Creem, October 1980

That is just a small portion of the horrific review. It's funny how times change perspectives.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:42 pm

I don't think I've ever heard that record to be honest. (I know "Godzilla" but that's about it). However, I can remember seeing it on the shelf in a department store when I was a kid and thinking that the album cover was the coolest, most bad-ass thing I'd ever seen in my life. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:44 pm

I love this record. Proably the heaviest thing BOC ever recorded. Tracks like Black Blade and Godzilla are amazing.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 12:53 pm

I think it is a great album and a waaaaaaaay better album then 'Mirrors' which really was not a bad album either.

As far as Creem magazine, IMO that magazine sucked, they were a bunch of wanna be hipsters who put down any band that sold more then three albums and always trashed heavy metal acts in their reviews, and the overrated rock critic Lester Bangs (who IMO is a sh!tty writer) was the worst offender as these types of reviews.
Back to top Go down
Sinistar
Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:30 pm

manny wrote:
As far as Creem magazine, IMO that magazine sucked, they were a bunch of wanna be hipsters who put down any band that sold more then three albums and always trashed heavy metal acts in their reviews, and the overrated rock critic Lester Bangs (who IMO is a sh!tty writer) was the worst offender as these types of reviews.

oh my gawd....the baby boomer Rolling Stone Rock establishment will have your head with this insolent blasphemy!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Haven't heard this thing in a long time. I used to have it on cassette but sold it off at a yard sale a couple years back. I don't remember much about it except for the Marshall Plan,Lips In The Hills and,perhaps one of my top 5 BOC songs,Black Blade.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 2:22 pm

I actually just picked this album up a few months ago. I haven't really listened to it yet. I was on a BOC craze when I saw them for the first time last year. I got so much other stuff I haven't listened to yet that I can't get back into listening to them again, but I will shortly.

Funny about that review because I read another review somewhere that said they got back to basics on this album and it was the best thing they done in a while.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 3:20 pm

One of my least favorite BOC albums. The only songs I like on it are Black Blade and The Marshall Plan.

And I really like Mirrors. Yeah, it's pretty poppy (tell me You're Not The One I Was Looking For doesn't sound like The Cars) but I still dig the whole album.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Its not my fave BÖC album, i think SPECTRES and THE REVOLUTION BY NIGHT are better but i like it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 pm

tohostudios wrote:
One of my least favorite BOC albums. The only songs I like on it are Black Blade and The Marshall Plan.

And I really like Mirrors. Yeah, it's pretty poppy (tell me You're Not The One I Was Looking For doesn't sound like The Cars) but I still dig the whole album.

I agree that Mirrors is awesome. There's quite a few cool tunes on there as well.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 4:33 pm

One of my favorite BOC records, they got heavier again on this, and it made for a bad ass record. Then again though, I like every BOC album Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

DeathCult wrote:
One of my favorite BOC records, they got heavier again on this, and it made for a bad ass record. Then again though, I like every BOC album Very Happy

Even 'Club Ninja?'
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus I think it is still my favorite BÖC album.

Mine too. I love their early to mid 70's alot but my first introduction to them was in 1981 with Fire Of Unknown Origin and then Cultosaurus and I've always loved their heaviness and inbelieveable songs from those 2 albums. Not to take anything away from the rest of their catalog but these 2 recordings are at the top of the list of my fave BOC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

I really dig that record. The production is pretty dated sounding, but once you get past that it has some great material on it.

The Michael Moorcock lyrics add to the fun.

Really like the song 'Lips In The Hills".

Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Any fans of this album.

Oh yeah! Cultasaurus Erectus and Fire Of Unknown Origin are my favorite BOC albums. I got to see them in concert for the FOUO tour. Aldo Nova opened the show.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:02 pm

manny wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Even 'Club Ninja?'

Yeah, I even like most of Club Ninja, it's not their best by a long shot, but there's a few good songs on that I enjoy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:18 pm

one of my favorite BOC Cd's
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm

manny wrote:
DeathCult wrote:

Even 'Club Ninja?'

Oh come on. Club Ninja is good! Why doesn't anyone like it?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 7:53 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I got to see them in concert for the FOUO tour. Aldo Nova opened the show.

I saw BOC and Aldo Nova in 1983 supporting the "Revolution By Night" album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

stepcousin wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:
I got to see them in concert for the FOUO tour. Aldo Nova opened the show.

I saw BOC and Aldo Nova in 1983 supporting the "Revolution By Night" album.

That should have been a great show; especially since Aldo guested on the "RBN" album. how was it?
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:17 pm

great, I think. I was on a hit of acid
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:26 pm

stepcousin wrote:
great, I think. I was on a hit of acid

lol!

I know that feeling. Don't ask me about Nantucket, Foreigner, Styx in Roanoke, VA circa 1979.
Back to top Go down
Certif1ed
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 5:35 am

This is one of my favourite albums, let alone one of my favourite BOC albums. This and "Fire of Unknown Origin" were part of my soundtrack in the 1980s - drowned out Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran very nicely thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus   Blue Öyster Cult - Cultasaurus Erectus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1