Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!

Go down 
+4
James B.
7thSecond
Wargod
A Handful of Wayne
8 posters
AuthorMessage
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Empty
PostSubject: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 12:33 am

A few days ago I was asked to do a couple of things for Halloween and a friend of mine asked if I wanted to see Blue Oyster Cult. Of course I know who they are but I only know the few songs that Ive heard on the radio over the years and I do own 2 cd's of theirs but I'm not a full fledged fan (yet) so instead of going to a Halloween party I said ya know what sure lets go to the concert. It was like 10 minutes away from my house so really how could I not go?

There was an opening band there called Union Jacx. They bothered me. They were alright, very rock n roll which is ok but it was 2 old guys with 2 young guitar players and a drummer that looked funny when he was playing. Maybe cause I play drums other drummers look funny to me I dunno haha. Anyway They werent a bad band just seeing a bunch of older guys playing rock n roll and never being heard of is just kind of odd to me. Yes its fun playing music but really at what age do you say I look a little rediculous up here on stage. I guess i'll have to see how I feel when I get to that age.

Finally BOC came on and the stage was dark and we saw people getting their instruments. The lights came on and everyone was on the wrong instrument which was funny and they started to play. Then they were like wait somethings wrong and they switched instruments and started out with their first song. Don't ask me which one because like I said Im not a really huge fan. The first song was cool though and actually all the songs they played were pretty good and for being their age they did a really good job at being entertaining and I enjoyed the show.

Of course they played their classic Burnin' For You, Godzilla, and Dont Fear The Reaper which they did a great job with as well. I'll have to post up some pictures when my friend sends them to me. This was just a one off show I dont think they are on tour or anything. They live in my area so it was probably just thrown together for the hell of it either way it was something fun to do on Halloween.

I wasnted to get a t shirt but for some ingeneous reason they only had 3 shirts there. 1 was a shirt from 2002 and they only had XL, another was just a front logo and again it was only in XL, then there was a jersey or something but it was ugly and I hate those shirts so I didnt get anything. I thought they would have had some merchandise.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 9:11 am

BOC is awesome I've been a fan since they first came out back in 1968. Buth their first 6 albums are masterpieces especially Tyranny & Mutations & Secret Treaties very metal those 2 are.
The first time I saw them was back in 1976 with the "On Your Feet Or On Your Knees" tour awesome show they were in peak form back then. The last time was 2 years ago at the fair in Fargo again awesome Buck Dharma is so underated as a guitar player! Eric Bloom is one of the rare vocalists that make the band so much better.

Be glad you got to see them!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:34 am

I saw them live back in 86 opening for Rush. Great show. I totally disagree with your age and playing rock n roll statement though. Sad to see that kind of opinion here. Guess it's o.k. if you're an older fellow that's not real well known but sing country or jazz?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 am

Glad you got to see them. My last time was at Sturgis a few years back and they were great. Then again one of the most boring concerts I ever attended was Rainbow and B.O.C in like 83' or so. Guess the mileage varies ?

Quote :
Anyway They werent a bad band just seeing a bunch of older guys playing rock n roll and never being heard of is just kind of odd to me. Yes its fun playing music but really at what age do you say I look a little rediculous up here on stage. I guess i'll have to see how I feel when I get to that age.

So in your opinion if the band is a "known" band and has older members it's okay to still be onstage ? In the case of this band, they must of been known to somebody to get this gig. Perhaps those two older guys could of been memebers of an old 60's or 70's band that was famous once ? In most cases, musicians who get rich and famous young become complacent in regards to their playing and those who play for the love of playing or do it cause they have a family to provide for usually keep the chops up and continue to progress in ability.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:01 am

lol no bands can do whatever they want. they could be 100 and I dont care to me it just looked funny. I would view it the same way as when I saw KISS or even AC/DC.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 am

fair enough

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:06 am

Even if I got up to that point I would view it as being funny. a 60 year old guy playing power metal on the drums is just funny to me. Look at Anvil they are still playing Metal and their drummer is probably one of the best drummers out there and hes up there in age and still able to play what he plays.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:07 am

Jeez you geezers are so sensative Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 84826 Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Lol

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:09 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Jeez you geezers are so sensative Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 84826 Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Lol

yeah, I guess so...

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 1:52 pm

BOC are great. I own most of their albums on either CD and LP.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 2:09 pm

I love Blue Oyster Cult saw them live once back in the late 80's.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 5:47 pm

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 6:04 pm

Well, I'm certainly jealous. Glad you had a good time, and I wish I could have been there. BOC are a top five band for me.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 11:48 pm

Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 11531_1260083386043_1348424876_755130_5979772_n Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 11531_1260083666050_1348424876_755137_4660914_n Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 11531_1260083586048_1348424876_755135_8021348_n Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! 11531_1260083546047_1348424876_755134_6824577_n

PostSubject: Re: Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!   Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Went to see Blue Oyster Cult tonight for Halloween!
Page 1 of 1