Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too much Metal?

Go down 
+34
shamgar75
exact33
DallasBlack
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
troublemagnet
EvyMetal
metalheaded
Gilbert
Wargod
thejokeriv
stevegarveyfan
SAHB Healer
bassman
Zdan
tohostudios
metalken
scottmitchell74
mez
rawr!
krokus
mc666
Joe
Fat Freddy
Sinistar
James B.
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
manny
ultmetal
allthingsmetal
Rex
SlaytanicPOWER
speed101
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

Too much Metal? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:21 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
Rex wrote:
I'm in that spot now. Nothing new is really hitting the spot for me metal-wise these days so I've hardly bought any metal this year. So I've been exploring other genres lately and have been pleasantly surprised.

I feel the same way. I haven't went completely off the metal map though. I wouldn't venture off to anything out of the rock genre though just other variations of rock and metal. I don't like Jazz, Blues, Rap, Country etc.

If you like doom metal have you tried getting into 70's psychedelic hard rock? There is a ton of great music like that out there especially from America.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:32 am

Like which ones?

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 11:36 am

Some of them:

Sir Lord Baltimore
Captain Beyond
Bang
Leafhound
Full Moon
Ashbury
Truth And Janey
JPT Scare Band
Bloodrock
Cactus
Josefus

All of those (with exception of Leafhound) are great US bands.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 3:41 pm

Would Indian Summer or T2 fall into that category?
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Zdan wrote:
Some of them:

Sir Lord Baltimore
Captain Beyond
Bang
Leafhound
Full Moon
Ashbury
Truth And Janey
JPT Scare Band
Bloodrock
Cactus
Josefus

never heard of any of those bands excepy cactus.

Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Zdan wrote:
Some of them:

Sir Lord Baltimore
Captain Beyond
Bang
Leafhound
Full Moon
Ashbury
Truth And Janey
JPT Scare Band
Bloodrock
Cactus
Josefus

never heard of any of those bands excepy cactus.

Bloodrock is interesting, kinda out there with their artwork.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 pm

You have to check out Captain Beyond! You got the original lead singer from Deep Purple, the guitarist and bassist from Iron Butterfly and Drummer Bobby Caldwell from the Johnny Winter Band, I beleive. They Rock!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:24 am

chewie wrote:
You have to check out Captain Beyond! You got the original lead singer from Deep Purple, the guitarist and bassist from Iron Butterfly and Drummer Bobby Caldwell from the Johnny Winter Band, I beleive. They Rock!!!

I've been on the fence for awhile with those guys. I think I'd like them, but still haven't purhased an album. I like the 70's psychedelic aspect to them, but then I'll read a comment or review and someone mentions the dreaded phrase "southern rock" and the blood just rushes right out of my boner.

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 am

The southern rock tag is exaggerated. They are more proto-metal than anything. Think Blue Cheer.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:21 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Sure, there are times when I am overwhelmed with the amount of releases. In recent years I find myself looking less and less outside the bands that I already love. In other words, I am not actively looking for new bands.

I am spending more time discovering older bands that I didn't give a chance to, or hadn't heard of, in the past.

Heavy Metal has such wide variety of styles under it's umbrella that there is a lot to enjoy.

I'm more and more like that. The majority of the metal albums I've gotten in recent years were from older bands and albums. It's so much easier to stay with establised bands than to try the countless new guys many of which don't contain the chops of their elders or with bands that slipped through the cracks and whose albums can be found cheap. This board helps because you have people who's tastes you know and can give you ideas of where to spend your money as opposed to hunting them down on your own.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
chewie wrote:

I've been on the fence for awhile with those guys. I think I'd like them, but still haven't purhased an album. I like the 70's psychedelic aspect to them, but then I'll read a comment or review and someone mentions the dreaded phrase "southern rock" and the blood just rushes right out of my boner.

Captain Beyond have almost nothing in common with southern rock. They are more like a In Rock Deep Purple or Sir Lord Baltimore. Heavy heavy proto-metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:26 pm

I also forgot bands that are associated with established stars. Many of the bands that have really captured my attention are those associated with people that I know. A good example is the MHR band Khymera that introduced me to PC69 bassist, Dennis Ward. I enjoyed Kymera so much that their association with him got me listening to PC69, Place Vendome, Sunstorm, and House Of Lords.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Zdan wrote:
Rex wrote:
I'm in that spot now. Nothing new is really hitting the spot for me metal-wise these days so I've hardly bought any metal this year. So I've been exploring other genres lately and have been pleasantly surprised.

I feel the same way. I haven't went completely off the metal map though. I wouldn't venture off to anything out of the rock genre though just other variations of rock and metal. I don't like Jazz, Blues, Rap, Country etc.

If you like doom metal have you tried getting into 70's psychedelic hard rock? There is a ton of great music like that out there especially from America.

I am burned out almost completely on new power metal but I have gotten into glam/sleaze a lot plus branching out into hard rock has helped.

chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Zdan wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
chewie wrote:

Captain Beyond have almost nothing in common with southern rock. They are more like a In Rock Deep Purple or Sir Lord Baltimore. Heavy heavy proto-metal.

The southern rock comment:

The only thing that I could possibly see is that his voice edges into that direction, but the music is surely not.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Eh, I guess the proof is in the listening. I see Captain Beyond's debut fairly cheap, so maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days. The clips on Amazon sound pretty cool to me. And I've been expanding into more prog-oriented rock & metal these days too.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 4:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eh, I guess the proof is in the listening. I see Captain Beyond's debut fairly cheap, so maybe I'll give it a shot one of these days. The clips on Amazon sound pretty cool to me. And I've been expanding into more prog-oriented rock & metal these days too.

The debut is THE album to go to. And it's not really very proggish when compared to things like Magma, Hawkwind or King Crimson. It's a little psychedelic but the edge goes to heavy, steaming hard rock!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:19 pm

Zdan wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

The debut is THE album to go to. And it's not really very proggish when compared to things like Magma, Hawkwind or King Crimson. It's a little psychedelic but the edge goes to heavy, steaming hard rock!

I agree! Great stuff!

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:28 pm

exact33 wrote:
Zdan wrote:
Rex wrote:

I am burned out almost completely on new power metal but I have gotten into glam/sleaze a lot plus branching out into hard rock has helped.

Too much Metal? - Page 3 11840
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 1:27 am

Wargod48 wrote:
I'm actually wondering where my collection will go when I die. I told a friend of mine he could have it all all he has to do is come get it and box it all up.

Wargod51

Can i be your friend too? Wink
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 am

Gilbert wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:
I'm actually wondering where my collection will go when I die. I told a friend of mine he could have it all all he has to do is come get it and box it all up.

Wargod51

Can i be your friend too? Wink

I like you better WG!! Razz

troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2011 8:33 pm

Just dont get Captain Beyond's second album That sucked.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:14 am

chewie wrote:

I did.

Splendid
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 am

Gilbert wrote:
chewie wrote:

I did.

Splendid

Sweeeet!

Raging River of Fear is great rocking track. If I remember correctly there are no gaps between the songs.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 7:18 am

ultmetal wrote:
Sure, there are times when I am overwhelmed with the amount of releases. In recent years I find myself looking less and less outside the bands that I already love. In other words, I am not actively looking for new bands.

I am spending more time discovering older bands that I didn't give a chance to, or hadn't heard of, in the past.

Heavy Metal has such wide variety of styles under it's umbrella that there is a lot to enjoy.

I'm the same as Ult.

I'm discovering bands that I never listened to back in the day. It's wonderful.

Now if only I had more money to buy more music.... Too much Metal? - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 9:31 am

chewie wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
chewie wrote:

I did.

Splendid

Sweeeet!

Raging River of Fear is great rocking track. If I remember correctly there are no gaps between the songs.

I have a copy heading my way as well. Ordered it the other day.

PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too much Metal?
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next