Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Too much Metal?

Go down 
+34
shamgar75
exact33
DallasBlack
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
troublemagnet
EvyMetal
metalheaded
Gilbert
Wargod
thejokeriv
stevegarveyfan
SAHB Healer
bassman
Zdan
tohostudios
metalken
scottmitchell74
mez
rawr!
krokus
mc666
Joe
Fat Freddy
Sinistar
James B.
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
manny
ultmetal
allthingsmetal
Rex
SlaytanicPOWER
speed101
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 am

Hi anyone think theres a time when u have enough Metal and quit buying?Like i see on Encyclopedia Metallum millions of Traditional,Power,Thrash,and Speed metal and i already own so many but then u see more and not including new releases and newer bands.So is there ever a time u say ill just buy only so many more ill have enough?
Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 am

Nope, never enough metal.

Unless you plan on owning cd's/vinyls from EVERY single metal band registered on EM.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:19 am

I'm in that spot now. Nothing new is really hitting the spot for me metal-wise these days so I've hardly bought any metal this year. So I've been exploring other genres lately and have been pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 7:53 am

No. Never 'too much'.
However I do reach those points where I have a lot of cds that I really don't listen to anymore--but keep them around for the sake of "my collection" or b/c I think "I liked it at one point, I'll probably like it again.....". I realize how ridiculus that thinking is and so I will put myself on "cd probation" and trade in everything I don't listen to use to trade in value to acquire new stuff.
However, I am always discovering bands, new and old, that get me all jazzed up. Right now I have a pile to trade in and have ordered a bunch of new stuff.......\m/
But I do agree that it gets very overwhelming and we should just be happy with having the music that we like. Rather than focus on what we do NOT have. One of the "keys to life"---contentment.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:14 am

Sure, there are times when I am overwhelmed with the amount of releases. In recent years I find myself looking less and less outside the bands that I already love. In other words, I am not actively looking for new bands.

I am spending more time discovering older bands that I didn't give a chance to, or hadn't heard of, in the past.

Heavy Metal has such wide variety of styles under it's umbrella that there is a lot to enjoy.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 8:41 am

I am not sure if it is my age or what but alot of the newer bands do not interest me very much, and I found most of the newer bands I do like are outside of metal/hard rock genre.

Also looking over the albums I bought last year I enjoyed all of them but I did not spend enough time listening to them over and over, so I am going to buy less this year (regardless of genre, even if they are dirt cheap) and enjoy what I do own, I have plenty of discs that I have not spun in awhile.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:05 am

I am in sort of the same boat as Ult...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:36 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Me too. However there may be a new band out this year that flies under the radar for me and who knows, 5 years from now, I may discover them. And while my kids are too young now, there may come a time when my son comes to me and says "Hey dad, check out these guys".

I don't think there is ever a thing as too much metal. Well, except maybe Manowar. They're too much metal for me. Too much Metal? 929854

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:39 am

It fluctuates...

I "hunt" for older stuff here and there. Stuff that I used to have, stuff that I heard back when on the radio, heard onstage at a some club that I played at or seen at the local concert hall.

More lately than before, I "hunt" for newer stuff on YouTube. Just type in the name of the newest band that I procured something from and have fun. You can get on some gnarly lil' rabbit trails from the suggestions that are offered in the right side column.

I am like others...In the opinion that there is way better stuff from the past to discover than what is being offered up today.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:43 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Me too. However there may be a new band out this year that flies under the radar for me and who knows, 5 years from now, I may discover them. And while my kids are too young now, there may come a time when my son comes to me and says "Hey dad, check out these guys".

Yeah, I find that a lot of times I'll discover a band for myslef after they have a few albums, or in some cases already broken up...not when they're new.

My son is 17 and we feed each other music...he's into old stuff (thanks to me) and he shows me bands in turn that I'd otherwise never hear...like Whitechapel or Born Or Osiris...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 am

I see the way my brother-in-law (50) and his sons (early 20's) feed each other music (and have turned me on to some as well). I'm taking my cues from their interaction and hope the same happens with me & my boy someday.

Metal student
Metal student
Sinistar

Number of posts : 141

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

Maybe it's time for you to explore some other forms of music? Can't force yourself to be into something if you are tired of it.

I'm always trying to find new music that I find interesting. I didn't even listen to metal in the 90s. I was on a big Krautrock kick about 10 years ago, when a friend of mine got me the Tenacious D cd released at the time. For some reason, it had hints of the old music (heavy metal) that I was into back in the 80s. As a result , I've spent the last 10 years totally going back and rediscovering the old albums I had, plus tons of stuff I overlooked back then. I'm currently interested in new metal since I've missed so much.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I see the way my brother-in-law (50) and his sons (early 20's) feed each other music (and have turned me on to some as well). I'm taking my cues from their interaction and hope the same happens with me & my boy someday.

Cool...its a cool thing. I started feeding him Van Halen and Kiss in early elementary school...then before I knew it he had a CD walkman, then his own CDs, then an MP3 player...now he's a CD collector/Metal fan and, like me, has learned some bands are what we call "hard copy" bands where we want the CD (special edition if applicable) and some are "non hard copy" bands...meaning its cool when we hear it, but we probably won't seek it out.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 am

I stopped trying to "keep up" with new stuff quite a while ago. Nowadays I might come across a new band that I dig in my travels, but I don't go out of my way to hunt down the newest/most underground/obscure stuff anymore.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:22 am

Quote :
I don't think there is ever a thing as too much metal. Well, except maybe Manowar. They're too much metal for me. Too much Metal? 929854

Blasphemer. The Drums of Doom will haunt you now.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:25 am

TheNazgul wrote:
Quote :

Blasphemer. The Drums of Doom will haunt you now.

Drums I can handle. Images of oiled-up men in loin cloths are much, MUCH scarier. affraid

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:33 am

confused So why do you have their door poster?
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

TheNazgul wrote:
confused So why do you have their door poster?

Maybe it's in his "closet" door? Smile
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 2:02 pm

metal is only one of many styles i enjoy, so i don't ever get bored with music.

krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:35 pm

Its never too much metal for me and i dont need any other styles of music. METAL gives everthing i need. If i wanna get happy i play some glam metal, if i am down and need some power i play heavy metal, if i am angry i play some death/black etc....
Back to top Go down
rawr!
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 372

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:49 pm

metal is the primary genre i listen to and share; i dont think i will tire of it or see a need to stop seeking out new bands/releases. some days i focus more on other genres and thats enough variety for me. seeing people in their 50s and 60s (and even older guys) at the shows i go to is inspiring and reassures me that my interest will not likely wane.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 4:57 pm

mc666 wrote:
metal is only one of many styles i enjoy, so i don't ever get bored with music.

+1
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I dont know, I think it just comes down to what all genres your into. If you are only into metal, then I can see possibly getting bored with one particular thing. For me I have discovered variety really does bring so much more to your plate.

Rock n Roll/Metal, and esp Progressive have been a bigger player in my life the last few years but growing up, I have always been into other things like alternative, and industrial and avante garde. Unfortunately most of those bands dont have as big a library of good bands as rock/metal does.

Check out things like Ministry and NIN for Industrial, how about Sleepytime Gorilla Museum for some Avante Garde, and old alternative stuff like Bauhaus, and new alt music like Dredg, Dog Fashion Disco, are great bands and genres to try out. This summer I got into a bit of surf/rockabilly and found bands like The Cramps to add more to my library. Point being, there is plenty of other styles of music that somehow connect in some fashion, and for me that keep things always interesting.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:41 pm

I never get bored with Metal. I find it endlessly fascinating.
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 05, 2011 6:47 pm

This will be my 33rd year of metal as my main (99.9%) musical diet. Love the old and the new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Too much Metal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Too much Metal?   Too much Metal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Too much Metal?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next