Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...

Go down 
+2
snooloui
Fat Freddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Empty
PostSubject: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:27 am

Just got this in my e-mail from Strato's P.R. firm. Bummer. I'm sure we all wish Jorg well.

An Urgent Note From STRATOVARIUS' Jens Johansson
"Dear STRATOVARIUS fans, I am afraid we have some quite terrible news. News of the worst imaginable kind. It's about our friend and drummer Jörg Michael.

Jörg has cancer.

He recently discovered a lump on his neck, went to the doctor, they decided to operate and found what they call 'a malignant thyroid neoplasm.' They took out his whole thyroid just to have the best chance to get everything out. He will also have to undergo a regimen of radiotherapy. He is a fighter.

We have all talked to him and it's clear that this guy is not down for the count. He and his team of German doctors are pissed off and ready to kick ass, and I would not want to be a little cancer cell on these guys' sh*t list. Believe me. Jörg and his family (and us guys in the band) found this out only last week, after the operation. Naturally we are all going between a lot of emotions, sadness, worry, shock, confusion, even anger.

As for STRATOVARIUS, as you perhaps know there is a long tour coming up with Helloween, and with the surgery and therapy that will now follow there is no way Jörg can do the first part of the tour. For me personally, I at first felt quite hopeless about the tour, because I was so upset about all this news. But Jörg himself has been extremely clear that he does not want the band to cancel a single show because of this. In the end, this is what made at least me feel better about going back to hitting the road next week.

So, we have debated what to do for many days now. Jörg first suggested my brother Anders do this November - December 2010 leg, but it turns out Anders will unfortunately be busy recording some record or other with that little indie cellar band of his called HammerFall [laughs]. After a lot of searching we found a guy that both can do it and didn't have other commitments: Alex Landenburg. He plays well, Jörg says he's a great guy (very important!) and he started learning the set already before we even had decided what to do, which to me shows a lot of dedication. You can Google Alex' name if you are curious.

So it turns out that STRATOVARIUS will do the first leg of the Helloween Seven Sinner tour, just as planned, only without Jörg behind the kit, but with Jörg very much as a motivator to us being there. Not one single date will be canceled or changed. Jörg wants to be back on the road with us again as soon as possible depending on the therapy, but we are not making any promises. That one is up to powers even higher than Jörg Michael and his doctors. We will try to keep you somewhat updated.

Anyway, the most important thing is that they think they got all the bad stuff out and that the end result is that we just fix that sentence I wrote above. We will then say: Jörg had cancer. But he beat it." -- Jens Johansson

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:28 am

Heard about it a couple of days ago, sad news.
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 3:46 pm

I never heard this band before, but man reading that, how can you not have high respect for these guys?? That was a very positive and caring letter about their friend. Now I need to go check these guys out.

Hopefully he pulls through with flying colors and is back on the road soon.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I read about this a few days ago. Really sucks but sounds like he will be ok. He's been in so many bands through the years and sometimes I never realized it like Rage, Headhunter, Grave Digger etc. Good drummer.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39466

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:36 pm

That sucks . Well wishes thrown his way.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:37 am

That sucks, but people do recover from cancer so hopefully he'll pull through.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...   Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad News from the STRATOVARIUS camp...
Page 1 of 1