Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!

Go down 
+14
troublemagnet
SAHB Healer
kmorg
Wargod
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
manny
MetalGuy71
jstate
tohostudios
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
SideShowDisaSter
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:12 am

Quote :
15. Steel Dragon- Crown Of Falsehood- I wasn't expecting this band to sound like this by the name. I was expecting power metal but this is more sort of like Cathedral or maybe even Black Label Society or Grand Magus. Its ok but the squeels with the guitar kind of get annoying after a while

That's from the 'Rock Star' soundtrack. Zakk's on guitar, so that's the BLS connection.

Quote :
12. Raven- Wiped Out- So this is what Raven sounds like? In ways they sound like Blue Oyster Cult on this song in that part that I think might be after the chorus. I have no idea what they are saying. They aren't what I thought they would sound like. Don't really like it.

Quote :
I don't really care for live Motorhead.

Why would you hurt Fat Freddy and me like that!?! You can be so mean sometimes. Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_sad

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:20 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Why would you hurt Fat Freddy and me like that!?! You can be so mean sometimes. Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_sad

It's OK, MG...he's already dead to me since he has expressed his distaste for Warrior Soul in the past. Razz

But seriously, PRD... I don't know how the heck you got a Blue Oyster Cult vibe from Raven. That's a connection I wouldn't have made in a million zillion years.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
2. L.A.P.D.- Listen (Do What I say)- The name of this band sounds familiar but don't know why. Either way never heard the music. They reminded me a little bit of older Prong but just not as good.

Is that that band also known as Love And Peace Dude aka the guys from K0RN before Jonathan Davis joined the group? I had heard that they were a wanna-be Red Hot Chilli Peppers type band.

Yes they are. I didn't get a RHCP vibe from them.... more metal than funk.... maybe more like Infectious Grooves. I just thought that it was interesting, so I threw it on there. It's definitely better than \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\".

On the Subject of Motorhead:
What's funny is THAT version of that song was on a compiliation and is what got me to like them. That is still my favorite Motorhead song and version of it.

PRD - I should have review for disc 1 up today when I get back home from work. Good stuff on there.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 12:10 pm

Quote :
I didn't get a RHCP vibe from them.... more metal than funk.... maybe more like Infectious Grooves. I just thought that it was interesting, so I threw it on there.

I never actually heard any LAPD, but that's how it was described to me. Eh, tomaotes, tomahtoes.

Quote :
It's definitely better than "thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain".

I could fart into a microphone, run it through pro-tools, add some double-kick drumming and make someting better than K0rn. Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Fresse

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
2. L.A.P.D.- Listen (Do What I say)- The name of this band sounds familiar but don't know why. Either way never heard the music. They reminded me a little bit of older Prong but just not as good.

Is that that band also known as Love And Peace Dude aka the guys from K0RN before Jonathan Davis joined the group? I had heard that they were a wanna-be Red Hot Chilli Peppers type band.

I believe so and then they supposedly changed it to Laugh As People Die. I guess to be....cool?

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
15. Steel Dragon- Crown Of Falsehood- I wasn't expecting this band to sound like this by the name. I was expecting power metal but this is more sort of like Cathedral or maybe even Black Label Society or Grand Magus. Its ok but the squeels with the guitar kind of get annoying after a while

That's from the 'Rock Star' soundtrack. Zakk's on guitar, so that's the BLS connection.

Quote :
12. Raven- Wiped Out- So this is what Raven sounds like? In ways they sound like Blue Oyster Cult on this song in that part that I think might be after the chorus. I have no idea what they are saying. They aren't what I thought they would sound like. Don't really like it.

Quote :
I don't really care for live Motorhead.

LOL! I'm sorry I just think they are really sloppy live. I saw them on the Metal Masters tour and they were better than this recording but then they just played songs I really haven't known yet. I like their albums though, but I haven't ever given them the chance to listen to everything yet. I always seem to just skip around. Eventually I'll listen.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 1:36 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

It's OK, MG...he's already dead to me since he has expressed his distaste for Warrior Soul in the past. Razz

But seriously, PRD... I don't know how the heck you got a Blue Oyster Cult vibe from Raven. That's a connection I wouldn't have made in a million zillion years.

Warrior Soul.....HAHAHA!

If you listen to that song, I forget what part it is because I'm not near the cd right now but I think its either after or before the chorus, the way that it is sung is what makes me hear Blue Oyster Cult. The music not at all just that part.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Here's my review of the comp I received from troublemagnet.

First, a note about the nifty packaging complete with a Mothra movie poster on the cover and this bizarre but weirdly cool Bush/Obama hybrid portrait on the back. Nice work!

1. Carole King - "Fantasy Beginning"

An appropriate title for the first song on what turned out to be a mostly heavy music comp. I actually sort of like Carole King; she has a pleasant and unassuming voice IMO.

2. Seduce - "Crash Landing"

Pretty standard traditional metal. I like the galloping guitars and the vocals are decent; reminds me of Shok Paris. Unfortunately this song just seems blah; not bad just pretty generic.

3. Attacker - "The Hermit"

This is a schizophrenic song. It opens with a nice piano line. Then morphs into a form of thrash. I like the music but the guy's voice annoys me. Ripping guitar parts in this one.

4. Grand Magus - "Like The Strikes The Water"

This one is the gem on the comp IMO. There's an almost Celtic vibe to this song. Is that a mandolin at the beginning? I also love the vocals; powerful baritone. I will definitely be seeking out more from this band.

5. I = "The Storm I Ride"

I like the "chugga chugga" riffage but the singer sounds like a cross between Udo and Popeye.

6. Into Eternity - "Severe Emotional Distress"

I have tried and tried to like this band. When the vocals are clean I really dig them but then they start with the screaming and totally lose me. This song is typical of that; I like the clean parts and loathe the deathy parts.

7. Angkor Wat = "Emotional Blackmail"

The vocals are the sticking point here as well only this time it's not screaming but rather shouting. Where's the melody?

8. Stryken - "One Way"

This one was OK. Pretty standard 80s hair rock sounding. I liked the "martial" feel to the rhythm parts. Not too bad.

9. Dr. Know - "Deprogram"

This track sounds like 3 parts punk and 1 part thrash. Unfortunately it's the hardcore type punk that I don't really care for. Again, vocals like this don't carry enough melody for me.

10. Zigoku Quartet = "The Course Of The Existence"

Vocals, vocals, vocals...and this doesn't have them. There's actually almost a melody in what I guess would qualify as the chorus but not my thing at all.

11. Dr. Know - "Rise"

See track 9.

12. Sigh - Introitus/Kyrie

Troublemagnet's going to crucify me for this but again it's the lack of melodic vocals. The music is pretty good; in fact, I like the instrumental part played over the sound of a storm which I guess is the "Kyrie" part but the death screams ruin it for me.

13. Kyuss - "Whitewater"

What we have here is definitely stoner metal complete with extended jams. It's not bad but I generally find this kind of music gets boring fast. I'd like this more if the song was shorter but then, this IS stoner metal we're talking about.

14. Hawkwind - "Psychedelic Warlords"

I actually like this song. Layers of samples and synth effects and a main riff that sticks in the brain.

15. The Commodores - "Flying High"

Ha! I like this one too. I like me some funk every so often and after all the screaming and shouting on this disc up to this point, it was refreshing to hear some vocal harmonies.

16. Monster Magnet - "Look To Your Orb For The Warning"

I own some MM but the only one I play semi-regularly is Powertrip. This song is from the Dopes To Infinity album. I kinda like it but like most MM songs I think it's about a minute or two too long.

17. Oliver Magnum - "Trapped"

Some 80s-sounding metal that sort of reminds me of early Queensryche. Not bad but nothing I need to run out and buy either.

18. Pentagram - "Forever My Queen"

Doom. I don't like doom. But at least this guy sings.

19. Angel Dust - "Gambler"

Wow, now I understand why TM didn't like the Angel Dust track I sent him. This is thrash; completely different from the style the band took several albums later. Not horrible but as most people here know, I'm not a big thrash fan.

So the clear winner here was Grand Magus. I will definitely be scoping out more from them. I may sample some more Seduce and Hawkwind too as I rather liked both those tracks ( I hope other Seduce has better songwriting because the rest of the elements are there).

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Quote :

Pretty standard traditional metal. I like the galloping guitars and the vocals are decent; reminds me of Shok Paris. Unfortunately this song just seems blah; not bad just pretty generic.

Seduce was one of the bands featured in 'Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years' and had a song on the soundtrack. As far as I know, they only put out one album Too Much Ain't Enough. Pretty decent album if you can find it. I think it's a bit of a rareity these days.

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 B12ab2c008a0b0c188198010.L._SL500_AA300_

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 5:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Seduce was one of the bands featured in 'Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years' and had a song on the soundtrack. As far as I know, they only put out one album Too Much Ain't Enough. Pretty decent album if you can find it. I think it's a bit of a rareity these days.

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 B12ab2c008a0b0c188198010.L._SL500_AA300_

I've seen that album before; I recognize that cover.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Quote :
Well, Toho thank you very much for the CDR. Now I know what you like, I have a good idea of what you like to listen to. Please don't take my criticism the wrong way, YOU didn't make this music.My favorites were Hollenthon,Brainstorm, and Sister Sin.

If you like the songs I included from those 3 bands I highly recommend picking up their CDs.

Brainstorm's "Liquid Monster" is just that in most people's opinion, a monster.

Hollenthon specializes in mixing symphonic elements with death vocals and I'm nearly 100% sure you'd like any of their 3 albums. My personal favorite is With Vilest Of Worms To Dwell.

And the newest Sister Sin "True Sound Of THe Underground" sounds like the song I put on the comp. It's my album of the year to this point.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:40 pm

PRD Comp IX Disc 1 Review

1. Varga – Cast Into The Shade – I really liked the way this one started with the acoustic guitar(very Queensryche) before rocking out. That arpeggiated minor chord that they pick before the chorus is way cool. It reminds me of someone else(maybe King’s X, Galactic Cowboys and Saigon Kick rolled into one), but I like this song a lot. Gotta pick this one up.

2. Saigon Kick – One Step Closer - I already liked this song and wished it had been placed later because it stuck in my head until the end of the disc and all day… I was even humming it at work!

*side note – I thought I put “Peppermint Tribe” on CD 1 I sent to PRD, I must have pulled it at the last second

3. Annihilator – The Nightmare Factory – This song started off really cool and then something in the vocals just did not do it for me, but the music was rockin’ and I liked the subject matter.

4. Exodus – The Garden Of Bleeding – I have a few early albums from them and this one sounded pretty good and more recent.

5. Halford – One Will – Nice opening guitar solo, This one rocked and I enjoyed it to the fullest.Great sing along chorus!!! I just realized I have this album in a stack of cds my brother left here… must plunder….

6. Danzig – Deth Red Moon – I do not like the songs “Dirty Black Summer” and “Mother”(I detest that song), so I was quite surprised when I actually like this song. Some of it kind of reminded me of very early Cult. I’ll have to re-look into his stuff for other songs that I might like.

7. Grand Magus – Wolfs Return – Here’s a band that I have been reading about on the board and finally got to hear them and this is good sounding stuff. I’ll have to pick up this album. It has that dirty guitar sound that KX Dogman has.

8. Kings X – Summerland – Love this song and used to play it on guitar. I’ve been a long time fan.

9. Blue Oyster Cult – Dancin’ In The Ruins - This is another song that I knew and liked. I was singing along in the car to this one.

10. Diamond Head – The Prince – The past few I’ve been picking there albums up and this song is a winner. Wow! Lotsa influence on Metallica’s Kill ‘em All.

11. Cathedral – Corpsecycle – I thought that these guys were more of a slow sludgy Doom band. I dug the title of this song and the song itself. It’s like a weird mix of AC/DC, Foo Fighters and the Cult(Electric-era) and another band that I can’t think of right now.

12. Sonata Arctica – Zeros – Here’s another band that I have wanted check out. The lead vocals are a little odd, but the harmonies are really cool. I’ll have to look into their catalog. 4,3,2,1….

13. Fates Warning – Pale Fire – This song must be on Inside Out as it has a bit more of a commercial sound to it. This album doesn’t get enough love. It’s nice to hear a band write great songs not just a clusterf***k of notes.

*another side note - I was supposed to see them on this tour with DT, but my buddy’s girlfriend was running late so we missed them.

14. Skyclad – Penny Dreadful – Ya know, I love me some Celtic Rock(Tempest is my favorite band for that), but it took me a few listens to get into this one. I didn’t like his voice at first, for one. I know if I heard them at a Celtic Festival I would be digging them!

15. Throne Of Chaos – From Clarity To Insanity – Loved the music, but the singer put me off. It was like Udo or Brian Johnson singing PC69/Place Vendome songs, It just didn’t sound right, too me. Damn I really do like the music, though.

16. King Diamond – Father Picard – I like early MF, but just could not get into this song.

17. Morgana Lefay – The Choice – Sure, start off the song screaming like a banshee to get my attention… it worked this song has a nice groove to it. the chugga, chuggas had me shaking my head and the middle eastern style solo was cool.

Well there is some rambling from me and an impression of what I heard. A few of the tunes on this disc I already knew, but overall it is a good disc that will get me to purchase some of these bands that I didn't know. Until then, this will crank this in the car.

Grand Magus and Varga are definite gets. Sonata Arctica and Cathedral I will explore further, as well.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Early Sonata Arctica is the best IMO. I was cranking "Full Moon" from the Ecliptica album earlier today. And their much faster and more sinister cover of "Still Loving You" from the Successor EP rules.

It's a shame what this band has become now IMO.

Interesting that this comp swap also garnered another Grand Magus convert. I'm going to order Iron Will soon.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 9:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Early Sonata Arctica is the best IMO. I was cranking "Full Moon" from the Ecliptica album earlier today. And their much faster and more sinister cover of "Still Loving You" from the Successor EP rules.

It's a shame what this band has become now IMO.

Interesting that this comp swap also garnered another Grand Magus convert. I'm going to order Iron Will soon.

ditto on that. Start with Ecliptica or Silence.

A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Yea Toho and Exact have it right. The first 2 or 3 Sonata Arctica albums are really good, then they start to change a little and now they are almost completely different. I do like the new album which is where that song is off of. Its wierd but in a cool way. I think that if this band didn't change is some way that they really would just keep writing the same songs over and over because a lot of their stuff was sounding the same so they needed the change. Some people like it some people don't. I didn't like Unia but I like the new album.

Glad you liked a lot of those bands so far Chewie. I knew you were going to like the music on that band Throne Of Chaos but those vocals would be a hard sell. I really should have put a newer song on there. They only have 3 albums and they have since broken up. But I think they are all really great albums. The second album doesn't have that vocalist in it much because he blew is voice out and the singer from Dream Evil sings on most of it. On their third album they really changed their sound a lot and sort of changed their name to T.O.C. because it was different from their usual stuff but I think its my favorite album of theirs. I'll try and find a video or something on youtube with a song of that and PM you it. I should have went with my first instincts and put something from that album on here since I did that with the other compilations I have made. I really think people would have loved this band since they had so much to offer.

That Annihilator song is wierd. That intro is the main reason why I like it. The vocals do kill it but the music kind of makes up for it. I don't care for that guys vocals at all, but I can tollerate it in that song.

I listened to disc number 3 tonight on the way to practice so maybe tomorrow I will be able to review that one but it might not be pretty lol

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
I listened to disc number 3 tonight on the way to practice so maybe tomorrow I will be able to review that one but it might not be pretty lol

It's all good.... Just like metal, Prog isn't for everyone.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 am

Nothing yet from DB, though the mail here is only 5-day delivery, and can be pretty damn slow sometimes!!

He should be getting mine in the next few days, hopefully!

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Disc number 3 from Chewie is mostly Prog stuff. While I do like some Prog I find it gets too be a little too much after a while. Most of the time the song writing just really wacked out as well. Its bad enough I'm not a big lyric guy and some things can get right passed me without realizing what something means. With prog I never know haha. The music is cool though. Anyway here we go.

1. Echolyn- As The World- Never heard of these guys. Its not bad I really like the music and the vocals aren't too bad. They go well with eachother. Its just not something I would look further into though unless maybe I heard more. Otherwise wasn't really sold on this song.

2. Journey- I Would Find You- Ah... Journey. At first I thought this was another song from one of the Steve Perry albums but I was wrong. I own all the Journey stuff and I really don't care for Journey without Stever Perry. They were a completely different band. Too Space and laid back for me.

3. Camel- Song Within A Song- Another song thats just way too mellow and spacey for me. The flutes make it even worse. Its not bad though just can't get into it.

4. Caravan- In The Land Of Grey & Pink- HAHA! I thought this was Cats in the Cradle at first. This is sort of more like a folkish kind of song. Really wierd lyrics. Didn't like it.

5. Chicago- A Hit By Varese- OH NO! Not Chicago! With all the trumpets and what not... ugh... lol. It wasn't bad, but never liked Chicago.

6. Proto-Kaw- Hegemonium- Some rocking parts on this one but nothing got my attention.

7. Gentle Giant- Free Hand- Always wanted to hear these guys. Wow how annoying the vocals are on this song. I don't know how I made it the whole way through.

8. Host- Profetens Ord- I liked how this song started it. The guitar and drum things were killer sounding but then it just flaked out. Another bad point is that it wasn't in english. Sorry I can't listen to things in other languages. No matter what.

9. Marillion- Emerald Lies- Another band I always wanted to hear but it wasn't what I had hoped. The music was cool. I like how the bass was up in the front like that. Some really cool sounds going on but the vocals kill this band for me.

10. However- Favour Me Oblivion- Same thing with all these prog bands the music is cool but it just doesn't keep my interest. Its not even the length of the songs its just they always try and do too much maybe, I don't know.

11. FM- City Of Fear- This one was a little better than some of the stuff on here.

12. System Seven- Rhythem Of The Night- Way too 80's bad movie soundtrack sounding to me.

13. Fragile Glass- Come Of Age- This vocalist has to be the worst on this disc. He sounds like he should be doing R&B or something. Really doesn't fit at all. Who says the word Tour like he does? TEWER? What is a Tewer? I couldn't wait for this song to end lol.

14. Kansas- Cold Grey Morning- Another band I wanted to hear over the years. This ones pretty cool with all the violins and orchestra stuff in the background. Pretty cool song and atleast it was listenable, but I don't think I'll be getting their stuff any time soon.

Well I listened to this whole thing on the way to band practice yesturday. Some of the stuff I really suffered listening to between some of the bad songs and traffic I was having a bad trip haha. But really it wasn't that bad I'm only kidding. Prog is really hard for me to get into. Theres some good stuff out there and some bad stuff, but when its bad its really bad. Thats just me though I'm the pickiest person when it comes to music I really have to like something as a whole before I think its really good.

Ok onto disc number 4 in a few.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 pm

The fourth and final disc from Chewie. This one is more of a mix of differeny styles like the first 2 disc.

1. Ambrosia- For Openers (Welcome Home)- This sounds like another prog band but with more of a hard rock feel. I didn't get into this song.

2. Giraffe- This Warm Night- Heres another song that sounds like something from a bad 80's movie soundtrack haha. This song reminds me of something hopefully I'll remember by the time I finish with this review. its another song thats played on the radio. I'll think of it.

3. Fish- Shadowplay- This one wasn't too bad. It sort of reminds me of Saga and has a bit of a Genesis sound to it. Interesting might look into this one.

4. Peter Frampton- Solution- Oh man. Here we go. Some old man rock haha. Never really cared for Peter Frampton but this is a bit more rocking than expected. Not bad but still not a fan.

5. The Black Crowes- When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky- I always liked the black crowes from the beginning and have all the stuff but where the hell is this song from? Its pretty good. Sometimes I don't like the back up singing but its ok in this one.

6. Burning Trees- Masquerade- This song reminds me of Ugly Kid Joe. I liked UKG but not this its a little on the weak side. Sounds just more like a jam song than anything.

7. Bo Bice- Coming Back Home- Skip!, nah just kidding. Never knew you were a American Idol watcher though Chewie. Now the cat is out of the bag haha. This guy actually has a really great voice but he reminds me of Lynard Skynard and I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not a bad song though just wish it wasn't so preachy sounding and southern.

8. Bigelf- Crazy- This ones more on alternative band. Not bad I like alternative but theres just something I don't like about this.

9. Kevin Gilbert- Picnic- what, did you know this guy personally? lol This song was better than the first song on disc 1 but I'm still not liking him. I like wierd stuff but I just don't get this guy.

10. Trevor Rabin- Cover Up- Another one of those preachy sounding songs from the 90's. Don't like it.

11. It Bites- Sister Sarah- The bands name says it all.

12. Black Jester- Night Voices- Sounds a little prog with a power metalish mix. Not really sold on those vocals. Can't tell if its a guy or a girl and thats what kills it for me. Music is ok though.

13. Taxxi- I'm Leaving- This one sounds a little bit like Foreigner. Don't like it. It mainly did the same thing through the whole song.

14. Toy Matinee- Turn It On Salvador- This one isn't too bad but nothing I would really get into. It was a little too bland. Some interesting sounds here and there but nothing special.

15. Chroma Key- Colorblind- Dark song. Its ok but again it just doesn't move anywhere and left me kind of bored.

16. Kevin Gilbert- Certifiable #1- Ok now I really think you are either Kevin Gilbert or you have stock in this guys material lol I'm only kidding sometimes If I really like something I put a few songs on the cds. Like the other songs I have heard of his, I still feel the same. He's ok but his songs are just a little too wierd. Maybe if I was to hear a whole album I could like it because it seems like his album might be more like concepts.

I guess thats it. I was a little dissapointed with the last 2 discs, but its not your fault Chewie I'm a hard sell. You did a good job though. Thanks for the ride!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Wow, the only thing I have from those last two discs is Taxxi. I like that I'm Leaving song.

I'm not much of a prog fan either though and I'm really picky about it.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:28 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:

2. Giraffe- This Warm Night- Heres another song that sounds like something from a bad 80's movie soundtrack haha. This song reminds me of something hopefully I'll remember by the time I finish with this review. its another song thats played on the radio. I'll think of it.
I know you don't like the song , but what did you think of the production?
I beleive that it was one of, if not, the first self released cd. Produced, engineered and arranged by KG in at the Recording Studio, Sunnyvale, CA in the Winter of 1987. How's that for fanboyness
Quote :

3. Fish- Shadowplay- This one wasn't too bad. It sort of reminds me of Saga and has a bit of a Genesis sound to it. Interesting might look into this one.
This is the ex singer of Marillion, the band from disc 3. This is from his second solo album

Quote :

5. The Black Crowes- When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky- I always liked the black crowes from the beginning and have all the stuff but where the hell is this song from? Its pretty good. Sometimes I don't like the back up singing but its ok in this one.

6. Burning Trees- Masquerade- This song reminds me of Ugly Kid Joe. I liked UKG but not this its a little on the weak side. Sounds just more like a jam song than anything.

I used to be the BIGGEST Crowes fanboy.. I have all kinds of demos and bsides from them. That BC song is off of one of the many cd singles from "By Your Side" *("By Your Side" CD Single)I inserted them and made a "complete" version of that album. BT is the band Marc Ford was in before he joined the Black Crowes.

Quote :
7. Bo Bice- Coming Back Home- Skip!, nah just kidding. Never knew you were a American Idol watcher though Chewie. Now the cat is out of the bag haha. This guy actually has a really great voice but he reminds me of Lynard Skynard and I don't like Lynyrd Skynyrd. Not a bad song though just wish it wasn't so preachy sounding and southern.
Ya got me on that one.... Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_razz Actually that cycle is the first time I had watched it and that's probably the last time I really paid a lot of attention to it. When he sang that obscure Badlands song I knew he was the real deal and made me a bit of a fan.

Quote :

15. Chroma Key- Colorblind- Dark song. Its ok but again it just doesn't move anywhere and left me kind of bored.
This is a great song for driving at night and it is Kevin Moore's first solo album after leaving DT.

Quote :
16. Kevin Gilbert- Certifiable #1- Ok now I really think you are either Kevin Gilbert or you have stock in this guys material lol I'm only kidding sometimes If I really like something I put a few songs on the cds. Like the other songs I have heard of his, I still feel the same. He's ok but his songs are just a little too wierd. Maybe if I was to hear a whole album I could like it because it seems like his album might be more like concepts.

I am a pretty big KG fanboy. I've got pretty much all his stuff as well(Giraffe, Toy Matinee, NRG, Solo: Official and Boots. Don't like his work with sheryl crow, though)The first song on disc 1 and this last song are from the concept album "Shaming Of The True" about a young man screwed by the music business, I beleive that it is autobiogaphical. He actually died before it was finished and was finalized by Jon Cuniberti(Satch's guy) and Nick D.(from Spocks Beard). Also, he was slated to be the new singer in Genesis and was supposed to produce DTs "Falling Into Infinity". more fanboyness......
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:08 pm

lol! cool thanks for the info on that stuff. I knew Chroma Key sounded familiar, now I know why. The production of that Giraffe song was good. Sometimes things that are self produced can sound better than someone else doing it. It goes either way, but this was good.

I'm surprised that Crowes song isn't on the Lost Crowes cd.

The guy from Marillion sounds better on that Fish song that he does on the other.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Have not recieved mine yet. Hopefully soon!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 am

"fanboyness"? haha.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2010 1:38 pm

I've received the discs from MetalGuy, and am spinning disc 1 right now!

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next