Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!

Go down 
+14
troublemagnet
SAHB Healer
kmorg
Wargod
chewie
A Handful of Wayne
manny
MetalGuy71
jstate
tohostudios
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
SideShowDisaSter
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:12 am

Got the CDs from DB today (told you the postal service here could be slow). Will give 'em a listen over the next few days and try to get at least one review up by this weekend.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:56 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Hey, WarGod51, check your private messages.

I did nothing was there!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Here is my review for WarGod's second disc.

1. Warmonger - Warmonger
An OK thrash song.

2. InnerWish - Sirens
Not a Savatage cover, but a good power metal song.

3. Gallows End - Nemesis Divine
Solid traditional metal!

4. Fracture - Apple of Eden
Good prog metal song.

5. Divided Multitude - My Dying Hour
Good song.

6. Grand Magus - Hammer of the North
Again, good song.

7. Magma Rise - Glow, Burn, Scream
Decent stoner metal tune.

8. Abuser - Iron Ghost
A cool thrash metal song!

9. Kissin' Dynamite - Name of the Iron Fist
Meh...

10. Morbid Sin - Witch Window
Solid power metal song.

11. Painside - Collapse the Lies
I really enjoyed this one!

12. Skull Fist - Ride the Beast
Great song! Best on the album!

13. Vindex - Forever Metalized
Not too bad.

14. Spitfire - (Un)Holy War
Decent song.

15. Vortice - Blood Suckers
A good song to close off the album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:01 pm

Yo, WarGod48, now try to check your private messages.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Wow thats some indepth review of those songs.

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 12:04 am

Wargod48 wrote:

Acridity - For Freedom I Cry, early 90's thrash that is basically new to me and I have alot of thrash. Again this is a bit slower than thrash I'm used to. The production is raw sounding the drumming is kinda slow for this song.

NICE!!! Love that album!!! [Also the Tokyo Blade obviously. You got some good taste RF!]
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:19 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
Got the CDs from DB today (told you the postal service here could be slow). Will give 'em a listen over the next few days and try to get at least one review up by this weekend.

I on the other hand will not have it reasy by this weekend. However, I will give a listen and a review within the next week. I've been pretty lazy lately and I've become frustrated with my school and job situation and I just don't feel like doing much. For sure by next weekend I will have a review for all 3 discs.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Disc one from Manny- I really enjoyed listening to this.

1. Courtney Love- Hello
Classic grunge from America's Sweetheart. Once in the '80's I had some friends who were hired to build a stage for a Butthole Surfers show in Minneapolis. They raided my garage for 2x4 lumber, promisng to pay me back after they got paid. I never did get paid, and the story they gave me was that Courtney was part of the production and had stolen the take from the box office. I don't know if it's true or not.

2. Alice Cooper - Blue Turk
Most excellent lounge blues off the Schools Out album. Lots of brass used here. I haven't heard this for a long time, and it's a great little song. I love songs like this.

3. Rod Stewart- Rocks
I'm not sure when Rod recorded this. It's one of his best songs though, here sounding like a cross between Small Faces and AC/DC!

4. Deep Purple- Anya
My favorite song off of Battle Rages On. Great flamenco into by Ritchie.

5. Glenn Hughes- So Much Love To Give
From the Blues Authority album. The lead guitar on this track is awesome, but I can't figure out who it is. Marc Bonilla?

6. Pursuit of Happiness- Cigarette Dangles
I don't know this band, I guess they are Canadian. Sounds like Indie/Alt/ College rock with a New Wave influence. Interesting.

7. Guns and Roses- Down on The Farm
Really a very good Punk song off Spaghetti Incident. It kind of hits home because I live on a farm with some goats, I really do. I like the song though.

8. Bon Scott- Round and Round
Excellent Honey Tonk R & R, I'm guessing pre-AC/DC?

9. Doors- Gloria
Opener off Alive She Cried I think? This was the best rendition of this song ever, including Them and Ther Stooges. Nice ad libs by Ray Manzarek too, proving Jim wasn't the only weird guy in the band.

10. Van Halen- Me Wise Magic
from the '95 reunion attempt. A good down and dirty DLR song.

11. T. Rex- Till Dawn
From Zip Gun. Not my fave T.Rex song. It's a little too busy. Modern production would have helped this song.

12. Queen- Tentement Funster
fairly heavy early Queen from Sheer Heart Attack. That era Queen was the best IMO.

13. Thin Lizzy- Dedication
There must be a story behind this song, as it was a single released a few years after Phil's death. Did they put it togther for some sort of relief benifit or something? I don't recall.

14. Iommi- Gone
from the DEP sessions. I was so glad they finally released the official version, as these are two of my favorite musicians ever (Glenn & Tony), and everything they've done together is pretty much as good as gold.

15. Concrete Blonde- Mexican Moon
I saw them tour this and it's awesome. Gothic Bossa Nova?

It was fun to listen to this and try and figure out what it was before I consulted Manny's notes. I got fooled a few times!
I'll be reviewing the other discs in the near future. Thanks Manny!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 5:39 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Once in the '80's I had some friends who were hired to build a stage for a Butthole Surfers show in Minneapolis.

With Killdozer and Run Westy Run? That was an insane show. Naked go-go dancers, Illinois DoT crash videos, Gibby repeatedly lighting his hands on fire. And Killdozer stealing my heart.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:27 pm

Rod Stewart recorded a covers album in the 90's called 'When We Were The New Boys' where he covered songs from artists from the 90's and this was a cover of Primal Scream.

The song Bon Scott recorded was just a few months before he joined AC/DC and survived a motorcycle accident that almost killed him. His friend convinced Bon to record this track, Bon agreed and did the session despite the fact his jaw was still wired.

Dedication was a demo that Phil Lynott left behind from his short lived Glam Slam band, Scott Gorham and Brian Downey finished the track and included on a greatest hits package entitled 'Dedication: The Very Best of Thin Lizzy'

The guitarist on that Glenn Hughes track is Craig Erickson
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 am

Fallen behind here... Will have at least one review of DB's comps up this weekend.

The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 3:28 am

UNCLE SAXYS COMPS Very Happy

I got two here, one entitled "sh!t I dig" and the other "jap metal rules"..ill start with sh!t I dig.

1. Krank "power"--From mississippi area, Real cool catchy fun badass riff and just all around fist pumpin. heavy/power metal sound, the vocalist is real gritty but screachin at the same time...I dig it. headbanger

2. Krank "til hell freezes over"--another Krank track off the same album that seques nicely from the the first track. This song is about being rock n roll til hell freezes over...i couldnt agree more. The dude singing especially on this track, reminds me a bit of chainsaw from slave raider.

3. Krokus "night wolf"--I dig this record quite a bit...this track is pretty driving classic metal all about being desperate to catch some tail....NIGHT WOLF! NIGHT WOLF! TURN MY HEART ON FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII---YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! headbanger

4. Slave raider "when the vikings strike"--speaking of the raid, thats what this song is...and its the track they wrote for the minnesota vikings football team entrance theme....pretty rockin, if Oregon had a pro football team though no matter how rad this song is they wouldnt stand a chance..hahahahaha.

5. Impaler "crack that whip"--Impaler is another minnesota band...I dig the sound, kind of speed metal. The vocalist has a punk thing going...ultra masochinistic lyrics...hahahahah. headbanger

6. Jellyfish "all I want is everything"--not familer with this band at all...a bit indie, bubblegum or whatever...I like the lyrics but not really into the vocal style.

7. Coven "too late to pray"--HELL YEAH COVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! really underated thrash band that I love. headbanger

8. Tokyo blade "night of the blade"--NWOBHM, the vocal melodies on this rule...the whole disc from 1984 is rippin actually. Some fantastic leads on this sh!t as well. headbanger

9.The muffs "oh nina"--hahaha...I like this, really dirty rock n roll female vocals reminds me of like runnaways or cycle sluts from hell or something. headbanger

10.Ned's atomic dustbin "grey green cell"--I remember listening to this with sax and spec when driving around at UFTA. Something unique about em is they have two bass players, a lead and a rhythm player. headbanger

11. Blue murder "jelly roll"--not familiar with this one either, like hard rock with blue grass sounding guitar. pretty cool.

12. Tina and the B-side movement "politics polka"--This is the epitamy of f*cking rad...Im buying this next chance I get. out of all the bands on the comps this is probably the top one im stoked about...JOHN....this was totally the band I was trying to remember that I said I liked alot. headbanger

13. Circle jerks "golden shower medly"--My fav Cj's album. One of my fav tracks besides when the sh!t hits the fan, rats of reality, and bad words. headbanger

14. Rollins band "stray"--groovy rollins track, Always preferred rollins black flag stuff over what he did later with rollins band....his spoken word and comedy is always good to though.

15. Samhain "all murder, all guts, all fun"--SAMHAIN!!!!!! Love this other danzig band just as much as misfits. all murder....ALL GUTS....ALLLLLL FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! headbanger

16. Hammered "gut rot"--pretty rad thrash with a obsession with alchohol it seems, didnt know whos this band is was but did some research looks like they are a new band that put out an album in 2009. Pretty cool headbanger

17.Reverend "stealing my mind"-- david wayne speed metal band, classic sh!t. RIP wayne.
headbanger

18. White snake "give me more time"-- "thrash metal never got anyone laid" --Uncle saxon

19. The dead milkmen "tiny town"--First track off my fav milkmen album! I HATE THE PEOPLE ON THE BEACH. love this album so so so much. Smile

20. Doug stanhope "terrified of poop"--whats that a chunk of some f@cking piece of paraphanalia...some little doo-dad sitting on the bed there.....IT WAS POOP LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

21.Rumble militia "rise and fight"--Never heard this band til now...raging german crossover band. Gotta love the substance impaired german slurring of some kind of important social message behind the ripping riffage. headbanger headbanger

22.Kick axe "heavy metal shuffle"--another fist pumpin headbangin heart of metal type of triumphant tune from canadian metallers kick axe. HEAVY METAL SHUFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLE!!!! headbanger

23. Prince "rock n roll is alive (and it lives in minneapolis)--Nothing fits better than this track to close off the comp, Prince is a beautiful human being. Smile

Part 2 "jap metal rules" comin soon! Thanks John, love ya man. \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:51 am

Stender wrote:

-- "thrash metal never got anyone laid" --Uncle saxon

Add in "It's so punk to be retarded", and we have one more quote I will never live down. Haha!!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 1:59 pm

My review for Sideshow's comps will be complete today as I go over them once again.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Manny disc #2

I really enjoyed this one,as almost every song either taught me something new or brought back fond memories.

1- Peter Murphy "Cuts You Up"
great gloomy pop song from ex-Bauhas frontman. I had this album at one time, but I need to cut it again. I do still have the poster though!
2- Iron Maiden "Killers"
from the second album with Diannio. I actually prefer the Diannio era. I'm not saying it was better, but I just think it had more personality. For some reason it stuck with me more than the later stuff.
3- The Who "Good Looking Boy"
latter day Who. It's OK, but it kinda reminds me of Springsteen or something.
4- Leonard Cohen "The Future"
I'm ashamed to admit that I'd never explored Cohen much, so this was an ear opener. I know some of my artsy freinds raved abvout his lyrics, so I guess I just assumed that I was too much the knuckle-head and never really checked him out beyond the odd this n' that. But halfway through this song I realized that Cohen is probably the patron saint of quite a few of my favorite moody pop artists (Tim Booth, Gavin Friday- perhaps sometimes Nick Cave or even Brian Ferry). I've been missing out and needless to say I have purchased this album now.
5. Sex Pistols "Pretty Vacant"
I've never gotten tired of this album, or especially this song. It's my favortite Pistols song.
6. 3 (Three) "Talkin' Bout"
a surprise here. This was an ELP spin-off band featuring Robert Berry. It's cheesy but good, and I listen to it quite a bit. Fans of early Asia might like this.
7. David Bowie "Cracked Actor"
classic hard rocking 70's Bowie from Aladdin Sane.
8. Jimi Hendrix "Freedom"
this was one of the early posthumnous releases, and one of the better ones too. Great song from the great artist.

I'll finish reviewing the rest of this disc later tonight.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 7:24 pm

Pretty Vacant is probably my favorite Pistols song. That or God Save The Queen.

Overall I'm not big on them because the vocals aren't melodic enough for me but I have some fond (as in 'debauched') memories to those two songs.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:51 pm

Glad you liked the disc, I included that Who song because the lyrics I can relate too, IMO it is powerful song and like Daltry's phrasing in this song and the strong emphasize on the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:53 am

Alright, it's that time. I will do this in installments but it will be finished in 5 hours tops. Also so I don't have to repeat it, all/most songs fall into thrash (which means good guitar solos if nothing else-also most songs contain some group shouting):

Disc 1
Kr'uppt-Womb Of Decay: The title sounds like a death metal song and starts off like it is but I quickly realized that this was thrash. The vocals are of the shouting variety and harsh but have some melodic qualities to it. Nothing revolutionary about this but that's not the point of thrash is it? 3.5/5

Master-Screams Of Pain: Sounds like generic thrash in the verses but in the chourus is not and the vocals are pretty melodic. The rest of the vocals are of the harsh shouting variety but not in a generic way. 4/5

Accusser-The Freeze: Generic thrash again this time with harsh screaming vocals that are fairly unique (there is also some growling and shouting but the guy mixes it up). I like it when the vocalist does the faster verses, his voice works well with it. 4/5

Hellchild-Long And Stable Bridge: Here we have death metal that borders on technical thrash and is accented by some wicked bass reminicent of Mortification. Of course the vocals are growled but manage to sound unique. 3.5/4

Vanadium-Something Brutal: Back to thrash but this time closer to the likes of Sepultura. Unlike the afeoremtioned band it contains harsh shouting that borders on the melodic. The chorus while not accented with gang shouts, it is accompanied by death vocals. 3.5/4

Slaughtered Grace-I Don't Want Your Millions: On a side note the name of the song made me say, "If you don't want it, I'll take it: Very Happy . This thrash sounds a little more crossover (the hardcore variety) with the vocals almost spoken as well as yelled. Not as good as the other material but far from bad. 3/5

Toranaga-The Shrine: Up to this point this is the best song. They slow the thrash down a bit but there is no mistaking the genre. The vocals at first are harsh and shouted but the guy throws quite a bit of melody in it. The guitar solo repeated throughout the song is infectious and the best part of the song. 4.5/5

Steel Reign-Cease To Exist: Opens to a steady pulse-like beat followed by growling that turns into a sinister laugh. This is closer to power than thrash (real power) and this time the vocals are pretty darn melodic but harsh and remind me of Chuck Billy back in the day. Up to this point the best song on the comps. 5/5

Vulture-Hatred At First Sight: This is back to pure thrash and at first glance promises to be good. That is misleading because this is great! I love the vocalist. He has the right amount of harshness, melody, complete with high pitched screams. This one gets the nod as the best song so far.5/5

Carbide-Total Impact: Another song that gets high ratings. The stand out of this is the vocals which are harsh yet melodic with some nice high screams. 5/5

Outrage-Rusty Door: Thrash from Japan, the first band I've heard from the Rising Sun that plays this genre. The do a great job and I like the harsh shouting semi-melodic vocals on this one, very unique and while at times reminds me of Guy Ritter, it's only in certain spots. The guitar solo of this song is real a good and maybe the best solo so far. 5/5

Su Ta Gar-Nazka: More old-shcool thrash/speed with vocals in completely in Spanish. I really like the vocalist due to it being very melodic and he may have my favoirte vocals of any of the bands so far. Spain seems to have a nack for prog, Euro-power, and in this case, thrash. Not sure I like this one the most or the Vulture track. 5/5

Betrayer-World Of Chaos: Confusing beginning. Starts sounding like classic metal then breaks into a death metal growl before turning full on thrash. Great guitar solos on this one that surpass the Outrage song (not by much though). 5/5

Slammer-Hunt You Down: This time there is no mistaking that this is thrash. Some more melodic vocals accompanied by gang shouts. No doubt my favoirte thrash vocalists are the ones that actually sing. 5/5

Dimentia-Death For Sale: More thrash with some melodic vocals with another guy that reminds me of Chuck Billy in his prime. The guitar solos mark the best of the disc taking out Outrage and Betrayer. This closes out the first disc with yet another high rated song. 5/5

Disc 1 starts things off with a bang and from my first listens, is the best of the three but I also spent more personal (non-distracting) time with this one. The others I listened to at school whiel doing other things. So as I'm going over the others for my reveiws I can give a better critique.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 am

Manny disc two (continued)

9- Seven Year smurfette "The Scratch"
punkish classic grunge from Seattle band fronted by Selene Vigil. It's a good song if you like that era, which I do.
10- Coverdale-Page "Absolution Blues"
I was disappointed in that album at the time, but this might be the best song. It captures the Zeppelin feel very well if that's what you are after.
11- Mick Jagger "God Gave Me Everything"
as with the Rod Stewart song on Manny's disc one, I wouldn't have given this a chance if it had been recommended to me verbally- I mean if I wanted to hear old ladies sing I'd go to church!(LOL). Thankfully I listened before I read the track lists, so I was still open minded when I listened- this is a very good song- hard rocking. It's fairly recent, I'd like to know the date and the backing band for this.
12- Belly "Super-connected"
hard rocking 90's power pop featuring Tanya Donnelly. This was a great era in music. This is one of the better songs of that genre. Manny do you remember the band "Curve"? they were kinda like this but darker.
13- Manitoba's Wild Kingdom "Haircut And An Attitude" headbanger
from the "And You" album, or I guess it's an EP? This is Handsome Dick Manitoba at his best. This whole album is hard rock kick ass actually. Every song.
14- Edie Brickell "Hard Times"
from her solo album "Picture Perfect Morning". A nice alt/folk/rock song from '94. It's mellow but still fairly electric.
15- Cowboy Junkies "A Common Disaster"
ditto what I said about the previous song. This band was hit and miss for me, but this was one of the good songs with some thump to it. In about '95 I was mired in an Ill advised relationship, and we went on vacation to Vail Co., saw this band plus Jesus Lizard and Greenday I think it was. I spent the morning of that concert in the Vail hospital being treated for hives because my nerves were so shot. Anyway that night the Cowboy Junkies dedicated a song- I think it was called "Angel Mine"- to "those of you who are here with the wrong person"- which helped me work up the resolve to extricate myself from the relationship. I'll alway be grateful to them for that even though I'm not the biggest fan.
16- Genesis "Congo"
a single with Ray Wilson on vocals. I've haven't listened to much of that era Genesis, but this is a good song. I would have guessed late 80's, but I think it's from the 90's.
17- War "Spill The Wine"
Eric Burdon classic- A great front man with a great band. The Animals were awesome, as was 70's War post-Eric.

great disc- my fave songs (other than the Handsome Dick of course) were Peter Murphy and Leonard Cohen.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 4:04 am

Will definitely be doing my reviews this weekend of DB's comps. Things....popped up this past weekend that kept me from being able to get to it.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 am

Disc 2 of Sideshow's thrash comps:

Cyperus-Society Saves: High vocals but not quite melodic but not bad. The thrash is pretty generic and nothing to write home about but adequate. 3/5

Fertat-Dkonalej Vrah: More generic thrash with amelodic snarling. Good guitar work and not horrible but doesn't do much for me. 3/5

Allegiance-Hate Frenzy: This is better, nothing revolutionary but pretty good. The vocals are deeply harsh but somewhat melodic. I like the guitar work on this one too and the music as a whole is a lot better than the first 2 tracks. 4/5

Terrahsphere-The Emergence Of Atlantis: This is quite a wierd form of thrash and the vocalist is easily as weird. The vocalist has some harsh and melodic parts to it. Strange but somehow I'm drawn to it. 3.5/5

Gomorrah-Sewer Cide: This song opens somewhat Slayer-like which is a good thing howerver, this is not anything like Slayer which is also good seeing as Slayer clones tend to bore me. The vocals are growled like death metal and as a matter of fact these guys are for all purposes death metal. Plenty of melody makes this is a good band judging from this song. 4/5

Simple Aggression-Formulations In Black: We are back to thrash but these guys are not generic and I'm quite impressed. This could be considered progressive thrash but not in the way of Death. Plenty of melody, time changes, and great guitar work. This is so far the best song on this disc. 5/5

Eldritch-Shadow Fire: Another Japanese thrash band but this one has complete clean vocals which most here know I love. The music is also great and this marks the second best song thus far. The guitar solos are also great and infectious. 5/5

Eternal Dirge-The Crawling Chaos: The only band I'm familiar with due to the album Khaos Magick which is a strange style of death metal but I didn't listen to it much and it's lost somehwere in my collection but not in my computer. This is closer to thrash than death except in the vocals but still borders between both. Better than what I have but nothing to write home about. 3.5/5

United-Violence Jack: This is also generic and has the style that usually turns me off. This is probably my track I like the least here, even the guitar solos aren't that impressive. 2.5/5

Physical Attraction-Your Obligaton: This is not better and doesn't even have any solos to get a break from the monotony. Officially the worst up to this point. 2/5

Rumble Malitia-Save Yourself: This is much better than the last two. The vocals have more variety and there is some catchiness and good guitar solos. 3/5

Demoliton Hammer-Caliber Brain Surgery: This band I have heard of but never heard. This is some decent thrash and the vocals are somewhat unique. The music is decent and not bad but again this seems a bit too generic. The guitar solos are quite impressive though and puts this above the last three. 3.5/5

Suiciety-Home Video Target Range: This is some more decent thrash with some unique screaming vocals which stragely give this song some charm. Music is farely generic but the guitar work is done nicely. 3.5/5

Sacrifical-I Fall In Temptation: A bit less generic and more hardcore (modern) vocal-wise but is filled with great guitar work. 3.5/5

Addictive-What War R. U. In: Back to being more generic but the vocals have some melodic qualities to it enough to get a higher rating than the last 7. 4/5

Less in quality than the first disc but has some hidden gems.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:49 am

The backing band on that Jagger song are:
Mick Jagger-vocals/guitars
Lenny Kravitz-Guitars/bass
Marti Frederiksen-Guitars
Kenny Aaronoff-Drums
Robert Aaron -keyboards

I remember Curve great band, that Mantioba's Wild Kingdom is considered a full length album but it is just under the thirty minute mark.

Genesis track is from 1997.

Glad you liked the disc SAHB
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:55 am

manny wrote:
that Mantioba's Wild Kingdom is considered a full length album but it is just under the thirty minute mark.

"Stop that whining!"

Great party album!

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:54 pm

PRD Comp IX Disc 2 Review

1. Trick Or Treat - Take Your Chance: A nice Melodic Rock tune in the vein of Ted Poley or Adriangale with a singer that’s a cross between Josh Pincus (Ice Age) and Michael Sweet. Great tune with a fun solo.

2. Jag Panzer - Chain Of Command: I’ve heard about these guys but never heard them. Love the intro, great chorus.

3. Virgin Steele - Lion In Winter: Another band I’ve heard about. This is a decent song with a galloping guitar riff and a cool sounding trade off solo with an Harem Scarem-type chorus.

4. Thin Lizzy - Soldier Of Fortune: I like this band but this song just didn’t do it for me…. Scratch that this song grew on me. The guitar harmonies are really nice and that’s what drew me in.( I might already have this album… stupid big cd collection)

5. Television - Venus: Here is a band that I always wanted to hear. He kinda sounds like Chrissie Hynde(or is it the other way around?) in the verses. Not bad.

6. Entwine – Break Me: I definitely liked the way this started off. This is like a mix of Vanden Plas, PC69(Thunderdome) and Place Vendome. Great sing along chorus.

7. Helloween - Giants: I have a couple of their early albums, which I like. This song sounds closer to PC 69 then that early material. Kinda bland, but not bad.

8. Artillery – Delusions Of Grandeur: The acoustic intro sounds a little like that song Classical Gas and then starts rocking! Good song!

9. Divine Heresy – Darkness Embedded: I don’t like the singer when the song starts off, very whiny. Musically interesting, vocally… meh. This song is ok.

10. Candlemass – The Bleeding Baroness: Another band that I have a couple of early albums by thanks to a thread on the board, not a bad song.

11. C.O.C. – Stare Too Long: A nice Southern Rock type ballad. I always liked Albatross and disliked the Blind album.. I’ll have to look into these Pepper Keenen led albums.

12. Dommin – Love Is Gone: Hey what’s Glenn Danzig doing singing in this band? This is a cool tune with nice background vocals on the chorus or is it keyboard?

13. HIM – Scared To Death: This is not how I expected this band to sound! This sounds like 80s AOR-type melodic rock, like Hugo, Bonrud, House Of Shakira or Mecca, that I would find on one of my MRCD comps and that’s not a slam… I’ll have to investigate further.

14. Polkadot Cadaver – Chloroform Girl: Kinda bland poppy thing with odd yet disturbingly funny lyrics. Ok, another song that I didn’t like at first but the safeness of the music mixed with those lyrics got me.

15. Elvis Costello – Peace, Love & Understanding: I’m not a big fan of his, but I do like two or three songs from him and this is one of them. the MTV video was funny, if I remember correctly.

16. Wolfsbane – Born To Run: I’ve heard a couple of different covers of this song and I like Mike Tramps version much better.

There’s a few new things that I really like on here and will check out.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:42 pm

Cool Chewie. I'm always anxious to see if someone likes something or not when I do these comps. I'm always surprised by the outcome haha. I'm glad you liked most of it.

That band Trick or Treat started out as a Helloween cover band. I bought their cds only for that reason. I like a few songs and Michael Kiske appears on one of the albums.

Jag Panzer is awesome. I heard of them years ago and didn't even know it at the time. I got a copy of Metallicas No Life To leather on cassette back in middle school. For some reason there was a song on the end of the tape that I liked but never knew who it was until last year when I got that Jag Panzer album the song was from. I saw them in concert once open for Iced Earth. I still at that time didnt really like them but didn't hate them either. My cousin gave me a cd of theirs and I liked them ever since.

As far as Thin Lizzy goes I like just about every song of theirs so its a tough choice what to pick. I actually had another song but made a mistake and then just decided to keep this one on the comp. Either way they were both great songs.

Virgin Steele is a great band. They change a little with every album but write mostly about the same stuff. Television is ok. I like the first album then the rest kind of doesn't do it for me. They only have 3 albums so not a big loss.

Entwine is a good band as well. Their newer stuff differs a little from their earlier albums but you could say they are a mix between HIM and the 69 Eyes.

That Helloween song is off Chameleon. A lot of people don't like that album but I think its great and that song could easily fit with their other albums.

The acoustic intro to that Artillery song gives me goose bumps.

Divine Heresey is a band Dino (from Fear Factory) started. They are pretty cool. I like the first album better but if you don't like the screaming vocals you won't like them.

I only got into Candlemass a few months ago theyre great and I think I like the newer stuff better.

Pepper Keenan COC is awesome. You definetly need to check those out.

Dommin is awesome. They reminded me a lot of Danzig so I knew I would like them right there. I was to see HIM and saw they were opening so I checked them out before hand and was hooked ever since. They only have the one album and its awesome. If you like this song you'll basically love the album. I got to meet the band as well after their set they were nice guys.

That HIM song is off the new album. Everyone passes HIM off as some whiney EMO band but they aren't and they can really rock. If you liked this song you'll like their older stuff if not more, definetly check out the album Love Metal.

Polkadot Cadaver is basically like Mr. Bungle in every way. The singer used to be in a band called Dog Fashion Disco but they broke up and he started this band. This song doesn't sound like the rest of the album but the lyrics are funny and the song is catchy so I had to put it on there.

Just started getting into Elvis Costello. I don't like everything but I like a lot of his songs and this is a good one.

I liked that Wolfsbane version. i've had the album for a long time and I either never paid attention to the song or possibly never listened to it until the day before I made your cds lol. I liked it so I put it on.

Can't wait to see you thought about the other ones. haha.

PostSubject: Re: Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!   Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews! - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Swap-A-Comp - The Reviews!
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next