Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time

Go down 
+11
Gilbert
krokus
Smindas
stormspell
tohostudios
Joe
A Handful of Wayne
exact33
Orion Crystal Ice
INVADERS
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Empty
PostSubject: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 am

Has anyone heard the new album yet?
I just got my copy in the post yesterday and it's an excellent listen.

Sacred Worlds (just a redone version of Sacred) sounds much better than the original version as it has more orchestration that just gives the song an even more epic feel.

The album has a handful of songs (Tanelorn, Ride into Obsession, Voice In The Dark etc) that are reminiscent of the band's "glory" days with songs that are fast as hell and could have easily been on their first 4 albums, but there are also songs that fit in with the more progressive side to the band and are equally as good. Road To No Release is a good example.

Obviously, there's the typical olde-bardish acoustic song in War Of The Thrones. Not as good as some of their other acoustics songs but still a decent listen.

The production is awesome (as expected from any BG release) with Hansi stealing the show yet again lol. Most singers getting older tend to decline or just can't hit those notes but as he gets older his voice, technique and his multi-tracking just keep getting better and better.

I enjoyed this album more than A Twist In The Myth. Athough I liked that album, it took a fair few listens to really appreciate it, but the new album I just got into straight away.

Since yesterday evening, I've listened to it 4 times (twice on the way to work this morning lol) and it's gonna get even more playtime.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this album and what they think of it...

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 9:56 am

I will be waiting a while for this, since I wasn't especially into the single (A Voice in the Dark) and a lot of people are saying they like it better than 'Twist' because it's supposedly heavier (I really really like 'Twist'), but judging from that single that's 100% a mix and production issue, and besides that, heavy means very little. Of course, I thought one of the singles from 'Twist' was pretty bad too, so who knows (Another Stranger Me).....at the end of the day it's going to be songs, not hype, that get the purchase. Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:01 pm

It's not out in the states yet but i've heard some samples and it has me very excited. Love BG.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:38 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
It's not out in the states yet but i've heard some samples and it has me very excited. Love BG.

same here. Ill get it when it is out.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 12:48 pm

Do you have the bonus cd with it ? I'm curious what's on it and if it would be a worthwhile purchase.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:31 pm

Pre ordered mine a few weeks ago. Just waiting now.

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 pm

Yeah, I got the 2 discs edition.
This is the contents of the 2nd disc:

Sacred Worlds (Extended "Sacred" Version)
Wheel Of Time (Orchestral Version)
Youre The Voice (Radio Edit)
Tanelorn (Into The Void) (Demo Version)
Curse My Name (Demo Version)
A Voice In The Dark (Demo Version)
Sacred (Video Clip)
Studio Documentary

the documentary is pretty decent and in all honesty, BG could have got away with putting the demos out as an album coz they're not half bad lol

you also get a code to enter into the nuclear blast website to download the demo of Valkyries and get wallpapers and exclusive pics etc

it's worth the extra £2 or whatever in dollars Smile
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm

That does sound pretty good. I'll have to look out for the 2 disc version.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I might get that 2 cd version then too.. thanks for the info!

Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm not as excited for this release as I was for A Twist in the Myth. Of course, that was because I needed something to make me forget about A Night at the Opera.

I will be picking this up, however.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:33 am

Joe wrote:
I'm not as excited for this release as I was for A Twist in the Myth. Of course, that was because I needed something to make me forget about A Night at the Opera.

What was wrong with ANATO?

Although the production was WELL over the top, I still thought it was an awesome album.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:03 am

INVADERS wrote:
Joe wrote:

What was wrong with ANATO?

Although the production was WELL over the top, I still thought it was an awesome album.

I think ANATO is ok but I like Twist a lot better.

INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:53 am

I really like ANATO.

I think it's because of the fact there's so many layers, there's so much to listen to and that keeps me very interested especially with songs like ...and then there was silence, precious jerusalem and age of false innocence.

it took me a little while to get into ATITM because to me there were only a few songs that really grabbed my attention from the get go like this will never end, fly and otherland and i thought there was a little bit more filler material than on previous albums.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 11:20 am

I think 'Twist' is just the clearer vision of an album in general, the flow is better, the songs are better and more varied, the production could be improved but is better, the art is focused... There are some songs on 'A Night..' where the songwriting is just very ON, like 'And Then There Was Silence'...'Punishment Divine'..'Battlefield'.... but generally the melodies flow awkwardly, it's hard to grasp whichever mood there may be at the moment... Hansi's high range sounds poor in many parts.... there is just little on there that I love as much as 'Otherland'.. 'This Will Never End'..'Fly'...... 'Carry The Blessed Home'.. oh, and 'Lionheart'.. PICK UP MY BONES AND TEELLLL MEEEE
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 7:49 pm

umm, yeah, what OCI said! I listened to both ANATO and ATITM today. I just don't feel ANATO is as strong as ATITM, and the production doesn't help ANATO. Along with the songs OCI listed, I also like 'The Soulforged.'

ATITM is a solid album from start to finish. When I finished playing it, I wanted to restart it. I just don't get that with ANATO.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Yeah I feel A Twist In The Myth is the better of the 2. A Night At The Opera has a bit of a pompous feel to it,if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:45 pm

I don't like ANATO or ATITM; too much "noodling" for my taste. If I want to hear Dream Theater or Queen, I'd listen to one or the other; I sure as hell don't need a hybrid of the two.

I love everything from BG through Nightfall but then they lost me. I'll need to really sample the new one before I commit to buying it.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 8:49 pm

I loved the 70s influence on ATITM. I was hoping for more of the same but i guess they are going back to what makes them sell records..

Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't know how much 70's influence I heard, I did hear some atmospheres and ideas that COMPLETELY refreshed me on Blind Guardian, as a lot of their typical feel and flair started to feel stuffy and stale after having peaked at it with 'Nightfall'.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 4:12 am

I just prefer the over-the-topness of ANATO. The bigness of it all just keeps me interested.
ATITM just had a few songs that I wasn't keen on like Turn The Page, Carry The Blessed Home, Lionheart, and The New Order. Everything else was pretty decent, even Another Stranger Me. lol
The only song I didn't really care for on ANATO was The Maid & The Minstrel Knight and that was OK.
The production on ATITM was just too digital sounding to my ears and although ANATO's production is so over the top it's unbelievable, that's the one that appeals to me more for some reason.

Each to there own I suppose.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 6:42 am

I'm sad to say but this disc seems to be going to the "never to be played again" section in my collection... I'll give it one more chance, but so far it has been really disappointing listen. BG has been a top-3 band for me in the 90s so this is not something done with an easy hand.

I still think ANATO is their worst, but the new one is very close second...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 6:48 am

Finally got around to ordering this last night. I really like what I've heard so far, I have a feeling I'll enjoy it more than ATITM, which was good but a tad odd.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 am

Is the song from that video game on the new BG?

Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 9:07 am

'Sacred'? Yes, but it's been changed quite a lot. It's better now. Also, anyone who has the chance to should pick up the most recent German Metal Hammer. It came with a nice CD of live BG from Wacken '07. I got it when I was there a few weeks ago, it's great.

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitimeFri Aug 06, 2010 11:32 am

They have also filmed a video for A Voice In The Dark.
Decent video but a little weird. Hansi looks dodgy with short hair.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time    Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Blind Guardian - At The Edge Of Time
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next