Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Petra fans?

Go down 
+17
the sentinel
corplhicks
scottmitchell74
akeldama
mr.electric39
shamgar75
Louder
stepcousin
Schbopo
Fat Freddy
manny
thejokeriv
Addy
powermacho
exact33
Metallic Blaze
ryanmetalman
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:02 pm

I found out via Facebook that Petra is getting back
together. Petra will have the “classic” line-up of: Greg X Volz, Bob Hartman,
John Lawry, Mark Kelly, and Louie Weaver. They are suppose to record a new
album and do a world tour.

I recently learned that most of the album will be
re-recordings of classic songs from “Never Say Die” through “Beat the System,”
with only a few new songs. It might be interesting to hear Greg sing songs
from “Back to the Street,” but I get the concept, “the Greg years” so to speak. While I am stoked about a Petra reunion, I have to ask, “Why the rehash, boys?”

Personally, I think I would rather have an album full of new
material. The upside is that we will get select songs with modern production.
If it were up to me, I think I would do a 24-bit remaster of the old stuff.
Maybe they are afraid it wouldn’t sell? There probably right. Still, I would
kill to get a complete copy of “Washes Whiter Than…” on CD!

All things considered, I would love to see this line-up
live…and get the new record, even if it is rehash.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Petra was the first rock band I ever got into.

So there is a lot of due respect there. They were my first concert when I was just a wee little lad. Blew me away at the time.

However, over the years I've grown tired of them. I still have my collection and pull some albums out on occasion (specifically the Schlitt era), but I'm just not a die-hard fan anymore.

Not sure I'd even buy a new album. Sorry.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 11:42 pm

I am a die hard. I dont listen to them as much as I used to but I like both Volz and Schlitt. I used to have all their albums but the rate at which star song issues greatest hits packages outpaced me.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 12:45 am

exact33 wrote:
I am a die hard. I dont listen to them as much as I used to but I like both Volz and Schlitt. I used to have all their albums but the rate at which star song issues greatest hits packages outpaced me.

LOLz. What a joke Star Song and those Christian companies are/were. Most of them are not even Christian-owned and operated.

Anyway ... I was a fan of Petra up until "Double Take". What a crappy album that was. To this day I can't barely even sit through it. I always end up turning it off in disgust. They just butchered those songs. So bad.

But I still do have a 'soft-spot' for Petra. I also like the Volz era, but prefer the Schlitt era.

Fave albums:

1. Beyond Belief (a rock masterpiece!)
2. This Means War!
3. On Fire!
4. Unseen Power
5. Back to the Street
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:38 am

I started with petra when I was 7 years old. So Petra means the first christian band I became fan of and the introduction to heavy metal. Any Petra fans? 11840

I only which I had the opportunity to see them back when they were around
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:48 am

powermacho wrote:
I started with petra when I was 7 years old. So Petra means the first christian band I became fan of and the introduction to heavy metal. Any Petra fans? 11840

I only which I had the opportunity to see them back when they were around

I was about 7 when I became a fan too. They were actually my first 'favorite' band.

Then Stryper came along and blew Petra outta tha water!!!

Then Bride came along and they were my fave band for years. I worshipped at the altar of "Live to Die" and "Show No Mercy".

Then I discovered Manowar. And it was all over for me at that point. Been a huge power metal maniac ever since!!!

Any Petra fans? 11840 Any Petra fans? 11840 Any Petra fans? 11840
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 5:19 am

Theyre gonna tour and theres talk of re-recording some of the classics to give it a modern sound, ive read nothing of new material I dont think that will happen though it is possible.

The first Petra album I heard was More Power To Ya, I like both eras but Voltz has more songs I like
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:23 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
exact33 wrote:

LOLz. What a joke Star Song and those Christian companies are/were. Most of them are not even Christian-owned and operated.

Anyway ... I was a fan of Petra up until "Double Take". What a crappy album that was. To this day I can't barely even sit through it. I always end up turning it off in disgust. They just butchered those songs. So bad.

But I still do have a 'soft-spot' for Petra. I also like the Volz era, but prefer the Schlitt era.

Fave albums:

2. This Means War!
3. On Fire!
4. Unseen Power
5. Back to the Street

yeah. SS was more a money making machine than anything else. The idea of a 'Christian' company always eluded me.

Those are some great albums there MB. All of them rock!!

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 8:30 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
[

Fave albums:

2. This Means War!
3. On Fire!
4. Unseen Power
5. Back to the Street

Those are their best albums, I would order it differently but those are their best albums. Also, why get back together with Voltz? Schlitt is a MUCH better singer!!!!!! His vocals are amazing. Greg "REO Speedwagon only hired Kevin Cronin because I turned them down" Voltz is too whinny to me.

I guess they can get Jonathan David Brown to produce the new recordings now that is out of prison for Klan related activities.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:04 am

Quote :
Those are their best albums, I would order it
differently but those are their best albums. Also, why get back
together with Voltz? Schlitt is a MUCH better singer!!!!!! His vocals
are amazing. Greg "REO Speedwagon only hired Kevin Cronin because I
turned them down" Voltz is too whinny to me.

Same reason why the orgiinal members of Kiss got back together in the 90s, why cant the voltz era fans have their nostalgia? I have nothing against the Schlitt era i can understand why the majority perfers it , because of its hard rock edge but God the lyrics were so syrupy redundant i lost interest after Beyond Belief
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:12 am

Addy wrote:
Quote :
Those are their best albums, I would order it
differently but those are their best albums. Also, why get back
together with Voltz? Schlitt is a MUCH better singer!!!!!! His vocals
are amazing. Greg "REO Speedwagon only hired Kevin Cronin because I
turned them down" Voltz is too whinny to me.

Same reason why the orgiinal members of Kiss got back together in the 90s, why cant the voltz era fans have their nostalgia? I have nothing against the Schlitt era i can understand why the majority perfers it , because of its hard rock edge but God the lyrics were so syrupy redundant i lost interest after Beyond Belief

Yes, but the difference was the original KISS line up was much more popular than 80's KISS
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 9:14 am

point is, NOSTALGIA
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 11:35 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Fave albums:

2. This Means War!
3. On Fire!
4. Unseen Power
5. Back to the Street

Those are great albums.

I actually got into them with "Wake-Up Call." I've always loved that one as it had the hardest edge and nothing on it was keyboard pretty. I was stoked when they did "Jeckyl and Hyde" at the end of their run, but I was disappointed overall because it felt like a joint Newsboys/Petra outing.

Looking back, I am really disappointed with "Double Take" also, they turned 'em all into AC songs... Why God?

I think after the third or fourth Star Song records "best of" I stopped getting those since they had most of the same songs, just in a different order.

Clearly I prefer the Schlitt era, but since their break up, I've come to really like "Beat the System" and "Captured in Time and Space."

Petra is the first Christian Rock band (and Rock band in general) that I got into. I guess the fact that it was "mother approved" helped. But they introduced me to rock and metal music, so I am definitely nostalgic about them.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 11:48 am

I was never a Petra fan but I do remember that they where the first rock band that I had heard of labeled 'Christian', which I thought was a strange concept, little too poppy for my taste but I have to give them respect, this guys have had a looooong career.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:04 pm

manny wrote:
I was never a Petra fan but I do remember that they where the first rock band that I had heard of labeled 'Christian', which I thought was a strange concept, little too poppy for my taste but I have to give them respect, this guys have had a looooong career.

Ditto what Manny said. One of my college friends was a Petra fan, so I heard some of their stuff now and again. Sounded OK but nothing I would've run out and bought.

Years ago I happened to be at Great Adventure amusement park in NJ the same day that Petra were going to play a concert there. I had never seen so many people in one place running around with Petra t-shirts on. Now that I think about it, that was the only place I'd ever seen people running around with Petra t-shirts on. Laughing

I suppose I should've probably hung around to catch their show but we left before they went on later in the evening.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri May 07, 2010 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 1:05 pm

I too was into them in my young years. Some decent stuff but all I have now is More Power To Ya for nostalgic reasons and the Ultimate Collection.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 07, 2010 6:02 pm

The only Petra album I've got is "Wake Up Call", and the only reason is because John Schlitt from Head East (a much better band IMO) was the vocalist. The first two songs are okay, but the rest is pretty much crap.

Never explored them further than that.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 2:59 am

I got huge into Petra when I became a christian back in '93. The last 6 years or so Ive slowed down to where I'll listen to their discography once every 2 years or so. It takes me 4 days at work to hear their catalog plus 2 from Schlitt and the first 3 from Volz.

I would love to hear their albums remastered, much of their late 70's/early 80's albums are in dire need of such. The Elefante-produced albums are pretty much good-to-go.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeSat May 08, 2010 10:58 am

exact33 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
exact33 wrote:

Fave albums:

2. This Means War!
3. On Fire!
4. Unseen Power
5. Back to the Street

yeah. SS was more a money making machine than anything else. The idea of a 'Christian' company always eluded me.

Those are some great albums there MB. All of them rock!!

Any Petra fans? 604261
Back to top Go down
Louder
Metal student
Metal student
Louder

Number of posts : 136

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

I love Petra, but only the Volz stuff. Can't get into Schlitt's vocals.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 14, 2010 10:04 pm

Petra is still one of those bands that I enjoy. I like both vocalists. Voltz has a great voice. I love listening to the NOT OF THIS WORLD album. Listen to him with Grave Robber and Bema Seat - good stuff.

I hope it sounds good.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 8:43 pm

1983 San Jose Civic Auditorium... first rock concert ever.... This huge Rush/Maiden/AC-DC fanatic was given the charge of his life.... courtesy of the Holy Spirit through that show.... never been the same... ever!

Those companies, Star Song/Sparrow/Benson/Word were all Christian owned and run companies..... really....

Anyone remember the days of buy 4 get one free???? With every purchase the label gave you a sticker and once you accumulated 4 stickers you could go into your local bookstore and pick out a free album, provided it had a sticker as well.

It was a sad day when those companies sold out to Non Christian corporate owners....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:50 am

mr.electric39 wrote:

Anyone remember the days of buy 4 get one free???? With every purchase the label gave you a sticker and once you accumulated 4 stickers you could go into your local bookstore and pick out a free album, provided it had a sticker as well.

It was a sad day when those companies sold out to Non Christian corporate owners....

I remember those! I got a couple of whitecross cds that way!

akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:26 am

Meh.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

I forget how good these guys were until I play them, then think "man, these guys could rock!"

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Any Petra fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Any Petra fans?   Any Petra fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Petra fans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next