Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pete Steele died (again).

Go down 
+28
TrogDawn
Metallic Blaze
GrandNational
Hamer12
shamgar75
nevermore
mez
Smindas
Lari
akeldama
DallasBlack
Lurideath
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
kmorg
manny
Leatherface
ultmetal
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
Rex
jstate
7thSaviour
Fat Freddy
Addy
metalheaded
ZetaReticuli
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37648

Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:50 am

kmorg wrote:
Oh well, you'll always have that Playgirl issue to remember him by......

Laughing very hard True story: the last time I saw Type O Negative was in '95 when they were opening for Queensryche. I went with a (female) friend from college who was there just for QR and knew nothing of Type O. However, when they first came onstage and she got a look at Pete Steele she was in LUUUUUUV. I sez to her "He's the centerfold in the current issue of Playgirl, y'know," and she was like "REAAAAALLLY?"

So after the concert she and I drove around to about twenty mini marts and late night convenience stores all over South Jersey so she could find a copy of that damn magazine. When she finally came running out of one store with the mag, she sez "I GOT IT! I GOT IT! Wanna see it?" and I was like "Um, naaaahhh, that's OK. You go ahead and enjoy it though." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 pm

it's a shame. i liked Carnivore & early ToN.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

kmorg wrote:
Oh well, you'll always have that Playgirl issue to remember him by......

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone brought that up. Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 209773

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 12:46 pm

heard about this this morning through a friend. Really sucks to hear this. This was his favorite band so he's pretty miserable today. We just saw them in concert a few months back too. Really sucks.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 pm

I liked Carnivore and the 1st 2 Type O albums. I lost interest fast after that. Sucks to see another metal head pass though!
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm

I loved their take on some covers like Summer Breeze and Paranoid
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

Addy wrote:

The first time I saw them do "Paranoid" live it took me till halfway thru the song to realize that they were playing a cover. They slowed it down so much that it was totally unrecognizable till I caught some of the lyrics. Then my friend and I were like "Holy sh*t, that's Paranoid!! Freakin' AWESOME!" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:10 pm

Heard this at my local independet used CD store today. Sad to hear this, especially at his age. I love the albums Bloody Kisses and October Rust. R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:08 pm

The only thing that I currently own from Type O Negative is a VHS tape made of comps of their videos and a few interviews, while I lked alot of their music I was not exactly a fanboy of the band, the one thing the video does show is that Peter Steele did not take himself or his band that seriously. he had a morbid and dark sense of humor which is reflected in alot of his band's songs.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Addy wrote:

The first time I saw them do "Paranoid" live it took me till halfway thru the song to realize that they were playing a cover. They slowed it down so much that it was totally unrecognizable till I caught some of the lyrics. Then my friend and I were like "Holy sh*t, that's Paranoid!! Freakin' AWESOME!" Laughing very hard

I heard it on Music Choice on tv one day and my reaction was the same, Summer Breeze is another good cover, I think it would have ruled if they did a covers album but i guess that'll never happen now Sad
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Man, that sucks!!! Huge Type O Negative fan, gotta listen to all their CD's in his memory.

RIP
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Tragic to die so young.

I am a casual Type O fan. I have Bloody Kisses, October Rust and Dead Again. I also saw them live once.

Steele had a unique voice and a style of singing. A legendary character. His death is a loss for metal, and music in general. Type O Negative is a pretty popular group. Rest in peace, Pete.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm

Always been a big Type O fan, primarily because of Steele's brilliant voice. What a shame. R.I.P.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Taken from The Dream is Dead by Type O Negative

I can't believe that things turned
out this way
And though I hate to see you go
I know it must be so

RIP Peter, you will be missed!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25871

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 pm

Such a shame to pass so soon. R.I.P. Peter.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Wow. I remember seeing them in '95 when they opened for Queensryche at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Middletown, NY. Didn't know anything of theirs. I remember Peter coming out with his bandmates, chugging down a bottle of wine, sets the bottle on the speaker and starts playing music.

I remember reading the What ----Says in Heaven's Metal when Bloody Kisses came out. Was very critical of Christianity. I was happy to hear him embrace Catholicism a few years ago. Such a shame. Like some have stated before, I hope he was right with God. I hope to see him up there when my time comes.

RIP Peter
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:22 pm

I remember back in 93 or 94 Type O was opening for Pantera here & the show got cancelled at the last minute, long story. We were bummed & went to a local hangout to drown our sorrows & the whole band showed up. We met all of them, they were really cool to us & kicked the house band off the stage & did a few songs for us. RIP Peter!!!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Always loved the creepiness of the Black No 1 video, and I thought the Cinnamon Girl cover was cool. RIP.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:01 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Heard this at my local independet used CD store today. Sad to hear this, especially at his age. I love the albums Bloody Kisses and October Rust. R.I.P.

I heard this for the first time today when 7th posted it on my Facebook page. Thanks good buddy!

Anyway ... I am very sadened to hear of this news. Peter was the voice of goth metal. RIP *sobs*

mez wrote:
Taken from The Dream is Dead by Type O Negative

I can't believe that things turned
out this way
And though I hate to see you go
I know it must be so

RIP Peter, you will be missed!

You put it best my friend!

Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 495333

Nothing says it like his own song!
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
I mean no disrespect, but honestly, I think many people didn't think he would live too long, me included. I mean, look at the guy, he looks like he's on drugs constantly, he looked ill all the time. And he was always depressed.
Guess I'll be dead soon also then... Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 383937

Depressed people aren't that way for fun, you know...

Total suckage. Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_sad There was an announcement back in 2005 via graphic of a grave marker on the TON site that Peter had died, but it was about him returning to his catholic upbringing in the wake of his father's death. So sad to hear this...another lost gift...another victim of this wicked world...
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 1:42 am

R.I.P. 1962-2010...Corpus Christi...

Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Petersteeletypeonegativ

Obituary: http://www.crawdaddy.com/index.php/2010/04/15/peter-steele-1962-2010/

This is a great interview: https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/peter-steele-sober-god-shit&h=6200ebf77121d869ac003b43ee84736e

"Christian Woman": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU5tQkwv0dY

Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Cry

Last edited by TrogDawn on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 2:05 am

Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_sad Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 4:40 am

I never been a big TYPE O NEGATIVE fan but i really liked and like CARNIVORE. About TON i saw them at DONINGTON MONSTERS OF ROCK festival. They were playing on the KERRANG stage. Also i have to say i like the debut by TON. R.I.P. COCAINE SUCKS.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 7:02 am

Quote :
Peter was the voice of goth metal. RIP *sobs*

I totally agree any goth band Ive ever heard I always think to myself how close to Type O Negative is it. I loved how he sang such a shame that he's now gone.

Quote :
Guess I'll be dead soon also then... Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 383937

God I hope not bro
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 1:16 pm

The surviving members of Type O Negative have all released statements regarding Pete Steele's passing... I like Josh Silver's best, it seems to be the most "real"

Josh Silver (keyboards): “Peter, my endless source of frustration, (as I’m yours), you have really done it this time. You have changed and touched countless lives through music, comedy and often brutal honesty. You’ve made life both interesting and irritating and I could not imagine not having known you for 37 years.
“It still isn’t true in my mind, but in time I will miss you and the creating that we all endured together. We certainly disagreed constantly and I believe (and hope) we all learned from each other.
“Should I call you my brother, friend or neighbor? I can only call you Peter (and usually after 2 p.m).
“We laughed at ourselves more times then I can count. Knowing humans are preposterous creatures and I know we reveled in that fact.
“I will miss you in time, but at this moment your premature departure seems surreal and has pissed me off to no end.
“Though I never told you that I harbor a deep respect for you, I do.
“Goodbye my friend.”

Kenny Hickey (guitar): “Peter Steele was one of the most brilliant and funny personalities in music and it was all for real. Half the time people thought he was joking, but he was actually telling the truth. Part of me died with him.”

Johnny Kelly (drums): “It’s impossible for me to put into a few sentences what I am feeling at the moment, Peter.
“I’m not sure if I should eulogize or roast you.
“Both good and bad, we went on one hell of a ride together and sadly, the ride has come to an end.
“You truly were a unique person. Your music touched many people. Myself included. Whether it was talking about The Beatles, power tools, how Pluto was no longer considered a planet or calling me at 3 a.m. asking me to drive to your house to have a fistfight with you, you always kept it interesting.
“It was a privilege to have been your bandmate. It’s something that I will always cherish.”

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pete Steele died (again).   Pete Steele died (again). - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pete Steele died (again).
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next