Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Virgin Steele

Go down 
+3
krokus
KissinMaiden
mc666
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2007 11:38 pm

Perhaps the most underrated band in classic metal history - at least in my humble opinion.

I love this band. From their beginnings in the early 80s up til now.

When they first started out, they were in the same metal circles as Riot and Manowar (hailing also from the New York area and opening up for both bands frequently). They had a NWoBHM sound, but they called it NWoAHM.

Anyway - there is something I really love about this band. My favorite album is "Noble Savage", but I like them all. "Guardians of the Flame" has some stellar moments, heck even their debut does.

Anyone else here like this band? I find that even among metal circles this band is quite unnoticed.
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:03 am

Just plucked The Book Of Burning from the used bin last Friday. Great album, and my first from the band. This one appears to be a sort of rarities/re-recordings album. I still dig it, though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:17 am

i never could grasp what they were trying to do. it all sounds so pompous to my ears. i just cannot, for the life of me, get into it.

KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 1:18 am

I've only listened to Guardians of the Flame, and i'm going to listen to it right now..I love this album. I'll have to get more of their stuff in their future.
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:57 am

Check out their album, "Noble Savage" it's harder than heck to find in the USA, but you can order it from Europe. Most fans agree that is their masterpiece, and I agree as well.

Eyesore, "Book of Burning" is good - but yeah - it's basically a re-recording. Many fans didn't like that one. So - if you do like it - that means you'll probably LOVE their other stuff!!!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:06 pm

smurfing hell, my fave album by the band is NOBLE SAVAGE too. Second would be AGE OF CONSENT and third INVICTUS. I have their first two albums on vinyl (and also their mini WAIT FOR THE NIGHT and A CRY IN THE NIGHT on vinyls). The rest i have them on cd´s.
Love also THE MARRIAGE OF HEAVEN AND HELL PART I and II. LIFE AMONG THE RUINS together with THE HOUSE OF ATREUS I and II and their last album VISIONS OF EDEN are the worse cd´s the band made till now in my opinion.
Great somebody is talking about this band because they deserve it.
BURNING STARR is also a great band if you like the first albums by VIRGIN STEELE.
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Isn't Burning Starr an offshoot with Jack Star?

Man, it really is great to see other fans of this band.

Admittedly, I have a few holes in my Virgin Steele collection as their stuff is not easy to come by in the states. I plan to fill all my holes though and get EVERY last album they have put out. Still don't have their latest one, but I've heard lukewarm reviews.

There is just something about this band that I love though. I can't put my finger on it - but when I hear them I get the goosebumps heheh.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:21 pm

I dont know if you have AGE OF CONSENT and INVICTUS, but they are increible. Nearly like NOBLE SAVAGE.
Yes, BURNING STARR is the band with JACK STAR. They released 4 great albums. My fave is NO TURNING BACK with DAVID DeFEIS on it. Its from 1986 but it came out again in the late 90s on the USA label SENTINEL STEEL.
CHECK THIS OUT BROTHER:
http://www.sentinelsteel.com/Label/SentinelSteelRecords.html
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 12:24 pm

ON THE METAL MARKET section of this forum, LOCKY is selling most of his VIRGIN STEELE albums for 10 dollars. Check it out.
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 8:33 pm

That looks like a great site! Thanks - I added it to my favorites. Are they pretty reliable?
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm

blackieboy wrote:
That looks like a great site! Thanks - I added it to my favorites. Are they pretty reliable?
Sentinel Steel is awesome. And Den is a cool, cool dude with a ton of metal knowledge. I buy from him all the time.

Last edited by on Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:23 pm

Virgin Steele Dooble_poost
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:33 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 9:41 pm

blackieboy wrote:
Laughing very hard
That's an Eyesore original, just like these:

Virgin Steele Ziltoids

Virgin Steele Tony_danza

Virgin Steele Danzig

Virgin Steele Danza

So when you see it posted elsewhere, you'll know. Haha.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2007 1:55 am

fainting fainting fainting fainting fainting fainting
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 12:09 pm

Well I recently filled 3 major spots in my collection that I was missing for years. I ended up ordering them from Russia (as they were brand new and for a great price). The downside is that I had to wait nearly a month for them to arrive. Sad

So I have the Russian versions of "Noble Savage", "Age of Consent" and the Euro version of "Life Among the Ruins".

I had never heard AoC or LAtR before. I have got to say that "Age of Consent" blew me away. I think that it actually might be my favorite album from Virgin Steele. "Noble Savage" was my favorite for years (I had the Euro version of this before). But "Age of Consent" just seems to have everything I love about 80s classic metal embodied on one cd. It's phenominal! Even the ballads RULE on it! This album was a flop back in '88 when it was first released, I guess there was some problem they had with their company at the time (David DeFeis has a brief history inside the sleeve), so it was only released marginally and many people didn't even know it came out. It was remastered and rereleased back in '95 though, so that's how it's possible to find today. However, to find this album brand new in the USA you will be paying close to $80.00!!! I said 'no thanks', and decided to order it from Russia instead. I paid just a fraction of that including shipping.

Anyway - now I only have a few Virgin Steele albums to go and I'll have them all! I can't wait!

🤘
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39603

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeSat Dec 01, 2007 8:06 pm

I really like this band. I have all their releases except for Visions of Eden. I haven't really been disappointed by anything they've released yet. I think my favorite of theirs isGuardians of the Flame followed by Noble Savage (an excellent song)
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeSun Dec 02, 2007 9:58 am

I have Jack Starr - Out Of The Darkness. It is good. I have always wanted to get some Virgin Steele. Which is the recommended one to start with is it Noble Savage.
Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeMon Dec 03, 2007 12:02 am

journeyman wrote:
I have Jack Starr - Out Of The Darkness. It is good. I have always wanted to get some Virgin Steele. Which is the recommended one to start with is it Noble Savage.

I'd say so. Either "Noble Savage" or "Age of Consent".

If you want an overview of the band, I'd recommend "Hymns to Victory" as it encompasses most of their work. The only albums that are not represented on it are their first two. That was my introduction to the band years ago and I've been a major fan ever since.

If you have trouble finding these albums where you live, I'd recommend ebay. That's where I got all of my Virgin Steele albums.

🤘
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 2:10 pm

Happy to be resurrecting this thread. I have lately been developing quite some taste for the mighty Virgin Steele. Latest acquisitions:
- 5 in 1 box set featuring noble savage, age of consent, life among the ruins, the marriage of heaven and hell part 1&2.
- visions of eden.
- invictus.
- guardians of the flame.

I am loving these albums. The 5 in 1 box set is highly recommended in case you wish to start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Virgin Steele Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virgin Steele   Virgin Steele Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Virgin Steele
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: