Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!

Go down 
+12
akeldama
Required Fields
T-Roy
Lari
GrandNational
Joe
exact33
jerseyultifan+
thejokeriv
7thSaviour
ultmetal
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:38 am

HOW SWEEP IT IS! Way to go, Blackhawks! Nothing's gonna stop us now!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:50 am

exact33 wrote:
I hope the Flyers finish it off! Time to bring Lord Stanley's Cup back to Philly!

I wish I could be that optomistic, but if & when they finish off Montreal, they are gonna have a tough time with Chicago.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 12:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
I hope the Flyers finish it off! Time to bring Lord Stanley's Cup back to Philly!

I wish I could be that optomistic, but if & when they finish off Montreal, they are gonna have a tough time with Chicago.

true but one can hope!

akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Go Blackhawks!!!
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Well, what can I say. No excuses, Blackhawks were just flat out better. My friend put it best, the Sharks built a team to be like the Redwings, the Blackhawks built a team to beat the Redwings.

Going to be an interesting offseason in SJ. Hopefully Philly seals the deal tonight, because I'm going to be bitter and root for them in the cup! Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 19976 lol
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:28 pm

Dave Bolland really had a coming out series. Fantastic defensive play and a couple of big time goals to boot. Speaking of big goals, Dustin Byfuglien was the man of the series again. Three game winners in four games. And these two are still considered depth guys for the Hawks, they are just so good as a team.

Duncan Keith played great, too. And yes, Antti Niemi really stood on his head during that game one especially.

I am seriously pumped for the finals. But for now, game five between the Flyers and the Canadiens will have to do.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Philadelphia won the fifth game by a score of 4-2, and are off to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Hard to believe Philadelphia, who didn't clinch a playoff spot until the last day of the regular season, are now headed to the Finals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 8:13 am

Required Fields wrote:
Philadelphia won the fifth game by a score of 4-2, and are off to the Stanley Cup Finals!

Hard to believe Philadelphia, who didn't clinch a playoff spot until the last day of the regular season, are now headed to the Finals.

it is. I am a flyers fan but it wasnt looking good there for awhile..

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:20 am

FLYERS win the Conference! Great game last night. Both teams played hard.

Unlike the Blackhawks, the Flyers weren't afraid of celebrating their victory and gladly held up the The Prince of Wales Trophy. Superstition over the years has kept teams away from celebrating the conference win as it was thought to be a curse on the team winning the Stanley Cup. Last year Sidney Crosby and the Penguins won the conference, beating the Flyers, and celebrated by holding up to trophy. They beat the Redwings to take the Stanley Cup, proving that the superstition was ridiculous.

FLYERS vs. BLACKHAWKS for the cup! GO FLYERS!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:13 am

GO FLYERS!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Been keeping up with the playoffs even though the Coyotes are out of it. I wasn't surprised to see Montreal finally get ousted. Goalies can't stay hot forever.

San Jose always disappoints. No shock they went out there.

As for the finals, Go Blackhawks! I have family from Chicago, so I'll always cheer for a team for the Windy City.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Chicago didn't celebrate because they haven't won what they really want.
Back to top Go down
jerseyultifan+
Metal master
Metal master
jerseyultifan+

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:01 pm

i am flyered up! go flyers! yea! Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 911681 Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 320592 Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 395375 Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 25679 Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 706602
Back to top Go down
http://www.roweproductions.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:55 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Chicago didn't celebrate because they haven't won what they really want.

Chicago didn't celebrate because they are wankers! Evil Seed

Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:34 pm

FORWARD LINES:

Byfuglien - Toews - Kane
Brouwer - Sharp - Hossa
Ladd - Bolland - Versteeg
Eager - Madden - Burish

vs

Gagne - Richards - Carter
Hartnell - Briere - Leino
van Riemsdyk - Giroux - Asham
Laperriere - Betts - Powe

That Flyers first line looks real potent. But coach Quenneville will surely match Dave Bolland's line against it, and so far these playoffs they have been excellent in their role, shutting down lines even better (on paper) than the Richards line, ie. Sedin-Sedin-Burrows + Sharks Olympic line.

As for the Hawks, their top two lines are both very dangerous and creative. It will be interesting to see how the Flyers can contain them. So far these playoffs the Flyers haven't really faced any offensive powerhouses. The Devils, the Bruins and the Canadiens are all tight defensive teams. And had similar style coaches with Lemaire, Julien and Martin.

The Hawks top offensive guys will throw in a challenge I'm not sure the Flyers can handle. Not that there isn't a lot of sandpaper-like players on the Flyers roster that COULD play real nasty and thus get the Hawks off their game. Briere and Leino have had good post-seasons, and Asham just had his best game of the playoffs, but I still think the Hawks have the edge on forwards. Both scoring and two-way play. Hossa/Sharp and Kane/Toews are phenomenal duos that have been able to consistently score against top defenses under pressure. And that Bolland line, plus Madden make for a great support cast. Versteeg has insane quick hands and can provide creative offense too. The Hawks are going to outshoot the Flyers by a clear margin. The Richards line plus Briere can create chances and cycle at times, but for the most part I think the Flyers are going to be reeling and be on their heels.

DEFENSE:

Keith - Seabrook
Hjalmarsson - Campbell
Hendry - Sopel

vs

Carle - Pronger
Timonen - Coburn
Parent - Krajicek

Both teams have two stud defensemen (Keith & Seabrook vs Pronger and Timonen). The Flyers are hardly ever without one of those two on the ice. Hawks play their third pair guys, especially Sopel, a bit more than the Flyers do theirs. As for skill, for those top guys, I'd call it a wash. Maybe a slight edge Flyers for the extra experience. Carle and Coburn are also quite solid. Those top two pairs they have are among the best in the league. Edge Flyers. Though the Blackhawks are better in rushing the puck and that's when a player like Campbell can really contribute.

Slight edge on physical play goes to the Flyers. Laperriere is hurt and the Hawks have Eager and Burish, but there's more guys that play tough on the Flyers team. Pronger and Byfuglien will have massive battles in front of the net. I know it's the playoffs, but I think there might even be fights. Hartnell against Eager or Burish? Maybe if it gets chippy, coach Laviolette dresses Carcillo? The Hawks have Colin Fraser as a healthy scratch, too. He likes to punch other people's fists with his face very often.

GOALTENDING

Niemi - Leighton

Two goalies no-one thought would be here. Niemi was fourth on the Hawks depth chart last season and won his backup job for this season only moments before first game of this season. Now he's the starter and has done a terrific job. Leighton, a former Hawks depth goalie, had a great series both against the Bruins and the Canadiens. Three shutouts in one series, but the Hawks ain't the Canadiens so don't expect any more. Him, nor the Flyers defense faced an opponent that will shell them as much as the Hawks will. I like Niemi here better, but only slightly. Neither is proven, anything can happen. Maybe I should call it a push.

Both teams have great special teams. I don't see an edge there for either team. Same goes for coaching. Both teams seem very unified and tight. Playing well together.

I take Hawks in 5.

Last edited by Lari on Thu May 27, 2010 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:13 am

Problem is, stats and what looks good on paper really hasn't worked throughout these playoffs. As has been seen, it's anybody's game. Frankly, I didn't expect the Flyers to get as far as they did, especially with the injuries they've incurred during the series. Somehow they have prevailed.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

Hmmm, scrappy underdog from Philadelphia? Doesn't stand a chance on paper but somehow goes the distance, despite injuries? Why does that story sound so familiar?

Even if they don't win, this team is already in the history books for Flyers fans. They'll be as beloved as the '93 Phillies who shared the same story.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 12:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hmmm, scrappy underdog from Philadelphia? Doesn't stand a chance on paper but somehow goes the distance, despite injuries? Why does that story sound so familiar?

Even if they don't win, this team is already in the history books for Flyers fans. They'll be as beloved as the '93 Phillies who shared the same story.

yep. They may not be the proto-typical powerhouse but they have been playing well. This is why the games are played.

Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Damn, I can't even sleep. Why is there such a long wait till the finals begin? It's driving me crazy. Huge game Saturday, biggest of the season, possibly the biggest game of hockey I have ever witnessed in my life.

In my dreams I've already seen the game end a hundred times.

If the Hawks win the Cup I'll streak around our local sports track wearing nothing but a Jonathan Toews jersey.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:30 pm

Lari wrote:
Carle and Coburn are also quite solid. Those top two pairs they have are among the best in the league. Edge Flyers.
In anticipation of the finals, I've been rewatching some Eastern conference playoff games and I have to take back a bit of the complements here. Carle seems to give the puck away a lot and is easily pushed over, and while Coburn is pretty good at clearing the area and opening up plays, he is not that great at separating his man from the puck. Those are the things the Flyers need from their defensemen against the Hawks, as the Hawks WILL be pushing the pace of the game and storming the offensive zone.

Pronger and Timonen will do just fine, but I have a feeling the rest of the Flyers D is not really up to the task.

Hawks defence ain't perfect in their own zone either, they are more of a puck control team, but the thing is they probably don't HAVE TO be as solid as the Flyers defense. It's enough to move the puck fast and battle in the defensive zone when necessary, and the Hawks should have the edge.

ultmetal wrote:
Problem is, stats and what looks good on paper really hasn't worked throughout these playoffs.
It has worked for the Blackhawks. They have been the best and have performed like they were the best.
Now that I'm quoting you, here's another one:

ultmetal wrote:
If Chicago is in the finals, I will be cheering for them, unless it's against the NJ Devils.
I don't see no Devils here...
happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 12:10 am

Kind of sloppy but, yaaay Blackhawks.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 9:06 pm

I was at a watch party yesterday and it was insane to go through the ups and downs. 6-5. Unbelievable game. I just watched it for the second time. Still feels totally unreal how it unfolded. A few thoughts:

It was an exciting game, but a lot of hockey fans are saying it wasn't a "good" one because too many goals were scored. I have to disagree. The way both teams forechecked and created opportunities, not to mention finished their chances, made it a goal scoring clinique, which doesn't necessarily equal bad game. At least it was great for attracting new fans.

Alright, there were defensive lapses, but just because both offenses are producing doesn't mean the game itself is bad quality. No-one would say it was bad hockey if it ended 1-0 in a tight checking defensive game. "Both teams played so well they couldn't get any scoring chances". No, to me that could just as well translate into "neither team could create enough chances or put the puck in". The pace the game went, both defenses were bound to have misplays and a few blown coverages.

The Blackhawks defense were off their game, but a lot of that has to be attributed to the amazing job the Flyers forecheck did all night. Usually the Hawks thrive in fast paced end-to-end games though and I expect the next games to be 5-1, 6-1 and 4-1 in favour of the Hawks.

I was surprised how tight it was in the end. The Hawks got their act together in the third though and were clearly the better team. Must be real frustrating for the Flyers to throw everything they can at the Hawks, score five times and not even have to kill a single penalty and STILL end up losing.

And what the hell was up with the officiating? The Flyers got no penalties at all? Don't tell me the Flyers played clean. The first three Hawks penalties were all borderline, while the Flyers got away with a lot worse all throughout the game. Clear holding infractions on the play a couple of times, interference, hands on the opposing player, Richards high sticks Brent Seabrook in the face outside of the play, nothing. No calls. Also, one time Hjalmarsson 'sort of' interfered with a Flyer, got called, but the officials sent Brian Campbell to the penalty box for the infraction.

They also missed that clearing attempt by Kimmo Timonen that hit Tomas Kopecky on the Blackhawks bench, but to be honest, to me that feels like a good no-call even if you do see it. The puck drops right back into play as if it hit the boards, and it's not like the Hawks got a clear advantage from the play when it occured. Hey, in theory the boards should be of equal height all around the rink! It was a coincidence the Hawks managed to score on the next play, but that was a good goal that would have been ridiculous to take back. They scored, Flyers couldn't stop them. Forget it.

But yeah, officiating has to be more consistent. I did like how no clean hits got called. And there was quite a lot of hitting. I was hoping for a fight, it would have made the game even more exciting for your casual fan.

I'm confident the Hawks take game two. It's those two games in Philadelphia I'm worried about. The Hawks do have an excellent road record though, an NHL record setting winning streak to be exact. But Philadelphia is known to be a nasty place for visitors...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Quote :
And what the hell was up with the officiating? The Flyers got no penalties at all? Don't tell me the Flyers played clean

That is ridiculous and I was wondering if the 'hawks lost if they would've raised a stink?
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 12:16 am

2-0 good guys!

But I have to say I'm real impressed with the Flyers forecheck in these two games. The Hawks defense has not faced a team that checks this well. Keith and Seabrook are both rattled and turn the puck over more than they should.

The Hawks defense needs to play the first pass faster, and the forwards need to work harder to earn space to receive passes, so they can burn the Flyers on the ensuing transition play. That will also help make the Flyers play more tentative and safe. Hawks will dominate if the ice is better in Philadelphia and the Flyers are weary of sending guys too deep.

I loved the intensity in the game. Carcillo is a punk, but he has heart. I would have loved to see him go with Eager or Burish, but it's the playoffs so I guess that won't happen unless there's a blowout game. But don't worry, hockey players have long memories, they'll go next season. Too bad these two teams don't play enough to develop a real rivalry. There's a hell of a lot of potential wasted there...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Are there any good East/West rivalries in hockey anymore? With all the moving and player changes it seems to have taken the steam out of some of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!   Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers! - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Time for the NHL playoffs!!!! Go Kings! Go Flyers!
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next