Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews

Go down 
+11
SideShowDisaSter
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Olafsto
manny
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 11:34 am

Next review will be up Friday I guess. I've been pretty busy the last week or so, so hence the delay.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Next review will be up Friday I guess. I've been pretty busy the last week or so, so hence the delay.

very happy

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 8:37 pm

Phoenix Reign Drummer wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
kmorg wrote:
I would beg to differ. Even if OCI didn't love all the songs on the comp, it gave him more then enough to write quite a lengthy review! If he totally hated it, I don't think he would have bothered.

Is that why Spec never reviewed my comps during my first time, PRD never gave me his thoughts on the comps I sent him apart from the Swap, and Bgast didn't review my 2nd from last time?

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 84826 I'm sure they just forgot about them, no sweat.

hahaha no DB sorry I never wrote you about those extra cds. Was I suppose to make you more as well? I forget. I remember the cds you gave me. I found some cool stuff on them. I don't remember where that paper went where you wrote who was on what cd but I remember one band that you gave me a lot of that I really didn't care for too much. I wish I could remember the name. It was something I've heard of before. Either way sorry I didn't write you about it haha. Now I feel bad. You should have emailed me.

Here was the total list:

Disc 1 is all Edenbridge:

Sunrise In Eden
Holy Fire
Midnight At Noon
Starlight Reverie
Velvet Eyes Of Dawn
The Whisper Of The Ages
Winter Winds
Terra Nova
See You Fading Afar
Shadowplay
Undying Devotion
Adamantine

Sunrise It Eden (the debut)
Arcana (my favorite)
The Grand Design (On Top Of The World was on this)
My Earth Dream (the heaviest one yet, complete with a full orchestra)

Disc 2 contains Moonspell songs from the debut album* (Wolfheart) and the new one*** (Night Eternal). Also I included a song** from the 2nd album that is much like the ones on the 1st, one I think would have been a better one to send on you comps the first time. It also has some other songs on it:

Wolfshade*
An Erotic Alchemy*
Alma Mater*
Full Moon Madness**
At Tragic Heights***
Scorpion Flower***
Hers Is The Twilight***
First Light***
Katagory V-Liberated Minds
Lanfear-The Unrestrained
Lanfear-Another Golden Rage
Tribuzy-The Attempt
Tribuzy-Beast In The Light (w/ Bruce Dickinson)
Tribuzy-Lake Of Sins

Disc 3 contains songs from Rob Rock (I couldn't find him on your blog site, and he is toward the top of my A list-he works with Roy Z and Narnia's guitarist was on his last album as well):

Slay The Dragon
Father Forgive Them
The Sun Will Rise Again
Eagle
Media Machines
Stranglehold
Rage Of Creation
Fields Of Fire
Slayer Of Souls
Holy Hell
When Darkness Reigns
Savior's Call
Metal Breed
Millennial Reign

Crunch
Screaming Symphony
Rage Of Creation
Eyes Of Eternity
Holy Hell
Garden Of Chaos

Disc 4: The first 4 are from A Tribute To The Four Horsemen (Metallica tribute), Divinefire is the side band for Narnia's vocalist (who is no longer with them), the two Jacob's Dream songs are from the first with their new vocalist (the songs are darker and less power metalish-just to see if it's better than the others), the first 2 Novembers Doom songs are from their debut (Amid It's Hallowed Mirth) and the last 3 are from the first album to go in a more death metal direction (The Pale Haunt Departure):

Therion-Fight Fire With Fire
Sonata Arctica-Fade To Black
Dark Tranquility-My Friend Of Misery
Thunderstone-Welcome Home
Divinefire-The World's On Fire
Divinefire-Hero
Dragonland-The Returning
Jacob's Dream-Stand Or Fall
Jacob's Dream-Victory
Twisted Tower Dire-Axes & Honor
Novembers Doom-Tears Of The Beautiful
Novembers Doom-Winter Solstice
Novembers Doom-The Pale Haunt Departure
Novembers Doom-In The Absence Of Grace
Novembers Doom-Through A Child's Eyes

Disc 5 is a bit more varied but I still include multiple tracks from most of the bands:

Human Zoo-Communicate
Human Zoo-Creatures Of The Night
Immortal Souls*-The Cold Northwind
Immortal Souls-Cold Street
Immortal Souls-Chapter II: Reflections Of Doom: Color Of My Sky
Khymera**-The Damage Is Done
Khymera-Since You Went Away
Prototype-Trinity
The Revoltons-Cell Of Death
The Revoltons-The Autumn Believer
Samael***-Rain
The Showdown-We Die Young
Soul Embraced-Evolver
Three Inches Of Blood-Night Marauders
Threshold****-Slipstream
Threshold-Light And Space
Threshold-Mission Profile

*This is to give you a better look at what this band sounds like
**The vocalist of this band is bassist and a founding member of Pink Cream 69 (avoid the s/t debut)
***This was a two man black metal project who later adopted industrial sounds. It has programmed drums but it's part of their sound
****I only have a best of CD (The Ravages Of Time), the first songs on it are the standout tracks from it.

Disc 6 has mostly songs from another band I consider my A list material, Thunderstone. Not sure if you will like the vocalist or notbut I figure if it's too annoying you can skip those tracks (after all, you don't have to review these):

Virus
Eyes Of A Stranger
Spread My Wings
Until We Touch The Burning Sun
Mirror Never Lies
Forth Into The Black
Tool Of The Devil
Without Wings
Land Of Innocence
Crematory-Die Abrechnung
Crematory-Höllenbrand
Borknagar-Future Reminiscence
Circus Maximus-Sin
Circus Maximus-Imperial Destruction
Holy Blood-To Heaven

Thunderstone
The Burning
Tools Of The Destruction
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

Ah Yes! Edenbridge. I didn't care for them. Their music was just too blah.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 am

I agree. I really, really wanted to like them because I love Sabine's voice but the music was way too keyboard heavy and proggy for me.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I agree. I really, really wanted to like them because I love Sabine's voice but the music was way too keyboard heavy and proggy for me.

Yeah, I'm one of the only fans on this board. It's hard being the one with excellent taste COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_biggrin .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 3:33 am

I am having a crazy week, just started a new job on monday and i`m working every day this week. Next week i`ll have some more time and will review the rest of disc one, and disc two from Sideshow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:18 am

CD 2:

1. Phantom Lord - Evil's Domain

If I remember correctly I have a promo of this album floating around somewhere. Never listened to it though, but going by this track it's worth digging up. Proper US-styled power metal in the vein of Cauldron Born (albeit less technical and progressive). Good stuff!

2. Outworld - Riders

Sounds pretty cool, but it's a little too finnicky progressive for my taste. The overall sound is also a tad too modern if you ask me, and that keyboard solo around the two minute mark is simply atrocious! Laughing However, on the whole it's not bad at all. The vocals are very commanding and the riffs are pretty damn heavy. Not something I'd buy, but not terrible or anything.

3. Onward - The Kindness of Strangers

I've heard of Onward before, but never actually listened to them. Now this is some damn good metal! Sounds kinda like a thrashier version of Brit metal legends Cloven Hoof. Especially the vocals are very reminiscent of CH's Russ North. So far this is my favorite track on this disc. This is how metal should be played!

4. New Eden - Now That You Have Gone

Wow, didn't see that intro coming, haha. Unfortunately this song didn't really grab me. It kinda had the same effect on me as the Sardonyx song on the first compilation disc: it just doesn't seem to go anywhere.

5. Jon Oliva's Pain - Time to Die

Never was a big fan of Savatage (though I like 'em) or Jon Oliva's Pain, and this song doesn't quite change my opinion. Call me a nitpicker, but it's just too modern sounding for me. I have an intense distaste for chugga chugga riffing, like in this song. The solo section around the two and a half minute mark is pretty cool though, and the vocals are solid.

6. Antithesis - Consequence

Another band I knew of but never bothered listening to. I really like this track though, so perhaps now's the time to pick up some of their stuff. Nice and thrashy US power metal with progressive tendencies, which just happens to be the way I like my metal! Great musicianship too. The cowbell around the three minute mark is REALLY out of place though. Laughing Oh well, it's still a damn killer song.

7. Cities - Fight For Your Life

Sounds like raw 80s heavy metal... which is good! Actually reminds me a bit of Saxon (which is a good thing) with some early 80s US metal thrown in for good measure. Big hooks, heavy riffs, a killer rhythm section and soaring vocals... what's not to like here?

8. Blaze - Ten Seconds

Ah, good ol' Blaze Bayley. The X-Factor is my favorite post-1980s Maiden album, so I never had a grudge against him. This song sounds very different from Maiden, but nevertheless it's a darn good song. It reminds me of a heavier, less happy Helloween in some way. Good stuff.

9. Brainstorm - Highs Without Lows

Decent, but again too modern (yeah, I know I'm a whining little b!tch Laughing). It's not terrible or anything, just not my cup of tea.

I'll have the rest of disc two up either tonight or tomorrow. It's back to studying right now...
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 5:27 am

10. Apostle - Sixhundred Sixty Six

Frankly I find this song to be well... errr... pretty boring. Don't know why, since I normally love stuff like this. Can't really place my finger on it. Oh well, next!

11. Hibria - Defying the Rules

This sounds like a mixture of heavier US power metal musically, and more European influenced flower metal vocal melodies. This isn't really my thing, but for some reason I find myself enjoying this song. The vocals are great, the guitars combine heavy riffs with nice melodic leads and solos and the rhythm section is proper as well. Pretty good stuff I'd say!

12. Ancient Cross - The Queen Is Dead

Proper US power metal! Although I wouldn't say this track is amazing, but it's damn heavy and still kicks ass. The vocals aren't really typical for US metal, which is cool imo. The break around the two minute mark is awesome as well. One of my favorites on this disc so far.

13. Heretic - Enemy Within

The only Heretic song I'm familiar with is the track on Metal Massacre 7, so this was cool to hear. This sounds a whole lot like a slightly slowed down version of early Metallica... which is always a good thing! There's good riffs, powerhouse vocals, soaring solos and a heavy rhythm section. What more could any fan of heavy metal long for? If the rest of the Heretic LP is on the same level as this song I'll definitely look for a copy of it.

14. Evergrey - The Masterplan

I used to like Evergrey a looooong time ago, but haven't listened to them in years. The last time must have been in 2003 or 2004, when I started giving the whole prog metal genre a chance. Although I've never really liked modern progressive metal, this song I actually dig. The chorus is a bit too happy sounding for my taste, but the rest of the song is just great. I'm a sucker for guitar harmonies, so this is right up my alley. You know what this means? More stuff to add for my want list! Haha!

15. Eidolon - Coma Nation

This sounds okay, and since I really like power/thrash I should eat this right up, but unfortunately I don't really like this song. Could be due to the lack of tempo changes in the song, I dunno.

16. Equinox - Stop!

I really like the ominous guitar intro in the beginning, but unfortunately it goes downhill from there. The vocals remind me of a more annoying Roger Martinez, and the riffs don't really grab me. The harmonic minor scale guitar leads are cool though, and around the 2:20 mark the song has some cool riffs. Unfortunately, it's too little too late.

17. Artch - Reincarnation

Now this is much better! Very American sounding thrashy power metal, with big hooks, cool vocals and speedy riffs. Definitely makes me want to hear more stuff by this band.

That's disc 2. In short: some stuff I liked, some stuff I really liked and some stuff I didn't really get. Overall it was pretty solid though.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Always cool to read you're thought's, Dave (yeah, I know that is not your name, but it's easier to write! :lol). You really do a great job with this, and it seems you are liking more than you are disliking, and that is good.

I've been listening to disc 1 from you, but I'm swamped with stuff and have little time to really sit down with it. But I'll do it as soon as possible.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Here is my write-up for the first compilation disc from DaveTheBoss:

1. Solstice - The Ravenmaster
Spoekn intro with sound effects. Probably picked from a movie, although I don't recognize it. Sort of sounds like Chrisopher Lee speaking though.

2. Solstice - To Ride With Tyr

Fantastic start!!!! I knew the name, but had never heard a note from these guys. This is epic underground US metal, and the song is absolutely amazing. Slow and doomy, and with killer hooks and a wailing vocalist. Think 70's Sabbath sung by a young Tony Martin! If I ever come across anything by Solstice, I'll buy it!

3. Tank - Blood, Guts And Beer

Only heard "Filth Hounds Of Hades" before, and I can't even remember if this song was on it (I checked, and it was). Never liked too much punk in my metal. Not a bad song, just not my favorite band....

4. Tales Of Medusa - The Gate To Tartarus

Another movie clip used as the intro for this song. This band I was totally unfamiliar with. This song also blew me away. I really love US metal. That is the real power metal too me, borderline between classic metal and thrash. Tales of Medusa is perhaps on the more melodic scale, and one might even use the epic tag here as well, but this is still 100% power metal. A fantasticly haunting riff drives the song forth together with the smooth vocals. Another safe buy, if I ever come across any of their CD's.

5. United - Sniper

This is the Japanese thrash band, right? I actually own a couple of their CD's, but have never listened to them! Laughing This is naiv and raw thrash metal that sounds very old..... like it was recorded back when Raven and Anvil ruled this genre. Decent stuff.

6. Paul Chain - Roses Of Winter

Who? Doomy hard rock with a eunic singing.... next!

7. Slaughter Xstroyes - Winter Kill

This is a band I've heard so much about, but never picked up the CD(s). I have even heard this song on their MySpace page. Yet another US metal band, in the epic metal genre. However, these guys have one leg planted in the UK, musically, mimicking early Iron Maiden at times. Right up my alley, and this confirmes that I need to pick up this CD!

8. X Japan - Kurenai

Belongs in the "heard-the-name-but-not-the-music" category. The songs starts off as a nice ballad, and when the full on metal starts it reminds me of Loudness. However, X Japan is more of a speed metal band, yet with lots of melody and with focus on the song, not the speed. This was a great track, and another band to keep on the lookout.

9. Sabbat - Danse Du Sabbat/Envenom Into The Sabbat

More Japanese metal, and yet another know-them-by-name band. After a looooooooooooooooong intro, Sabbat hits me with their dirty, raw, thrashy, old school black metal, ala early Destruction and Sodom. The song is good, but I'm still left a little dissapointed by this legendary band.

10. Tyrant - Hold Back The Lightning

Back to the US metal, I thought. Tyrant is after all a band in my collection. Turns out this is a British band, with only some demos and Anthology CD's on the reportoir. Dave introduced them in his excellent NWOBHM thread, and that tells you the style they play. Galloping metal with soaring vocals, done right! This is a very good track, with a nice melody to boot.

11. Heir Appartment - Keeper Of The Reign

This comp is filled with bands I am familiar with name wise, yet I have still to hear much of their music. That is the case with Heir Appartment also. This is perhaps the most melodic inclusion on this comp, delivering a nice ballad, tht eventually rurns into a power metal romp towards the end. This is another band that is right up my alley, delivering powerful metal with memorable songs with strong hooks. Anotherone to add to the looooooooong wantlist.

12. Virgin Steele - I Will Come For You

I know, it's a shame tht I don't own any Virgin Steele. I used to have a couple cardboard promos of their ears, and meant to upgrade to regular CD version, just never got around to it. Anyway, this is Manowar-styled epic US metal. But where Manowar brings cheese and clichè, Virgin Steele brings credibility instead. Guess I'll have to look into this band again.

Disc 1 is VERY strong, and I've already found several bands and CD's to add to the old wantlist. Looking forward to hear the other 2 CD's.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 4:09 pm

Here's my review of the comp I received from Mr. Electric39 (or most of it anyway. The CD player in my car is acting up and since that's where I do 95% of my listening, it might be a while until I get to the last 5 tracks.

1. "Title Credits' - Akira Ifukube

ME39 had the same idea I did except I didn't follow thru on it. This is the opening theme to the classic Gojira movie. I know the Godzilla themes by heart! Great opening!

2. "Blink" - Liberty N Justice (feat. Lynn Louise Lowrey)

I loved this one! It's female-led hard rock a la Pat Benatar. In PMs with ME39, I learned that this is the lead singer from Vixen.

3. "?" - Riverside

There was a mixup on the tracklisting but I learned from ME that this is from the band Riverside's latest album. Unfortunately this one was very prog to my ears and I found the singer's voice to be pretty annoying. Prog just usually is not my thing and this track was no exception.

4. "I've Got To Rock (To Stay Alive) - Saxon

This one was a real surprise and pretty hard to explain. I just am not a fan of the vocals in Saxon and this track also features another vocalist I don't like - Lemmy! Yet somehow it works here. I actually really dug this track which given the personnel involved amazed me.

5. "Black & White" - U.D.O.

I had my typical UDO reaction to this one. Great music, can't stand the voice. I didn't hate it but I'm just not that into Udo's vocals.

6. "Love On The Line" - Whitecross

I've heard OF Whitecross for years but I don't know that I've ever heard them. This track was an interesting listen. Music sort of reminded me of Deep Purple or Rainbow but the vocals reminded me of some sleaze/glam band; Ratt maybe. I liked it.

7. "Love On The Line" - Mastedon

Little story about this track. The second time I listened to it I kept thinking it reminded me of Kansas sans violin. So I got curious and googled the band. It's the Elefante brothers! No wonder it reminded me of Kansas. Keys are a little too prominent for me but a good listen nonetheless.

8. "At The End Of My Daze" - Trouble

Another band I've seen people post about for a long time but had never heard. Normally, this Sabbathy-sounding bluesy music wouldn't appeal to me but I actually enjoyed this one. I may have to dig into this band some more.

9. "Rudolph vs. Frosty" - Theocracy

Now this one I've heard. In fact I downloaded it the year it came out. Great and funny song that also has some great performances. Great song!

10. "New World Order" - Saint

Good, old fashioned hard rock here. Yet another band I've seen people discuss but I've never heard. Another good track.

11. "Train Crossing" - Menchen

Strange song here. There's a nice groove to the verses but the chorus loses me. Not sure what I think about this one.

12. "Angels Desire" - Orphan Project

I liked this one. Nice power/prog metal track. I liked the vocals on this one and a memorable chorus is always a plus in my book. I also like the contrast of speeds throughout this song.

12. "Attack Of The Mad Axeman" - Michael Schenker

Uh oh, a live track. I'm just usually not a fan of live albums. There's no doubting Schenker's guitar playing but this song just didn't really do much for me.

...and that's as far as I got before the mechanism in my CD changer decided to get locked up between slots. The thing is 10 years old so this was long overdue.

There are 5 more tracks on this comp and the last one is another Godzilla theme so there are really only 4 more that I haven't heard.

Anyway, a very enjoyable comp for the most part (except for that Riverside track COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_razz . Good job ME39. If I can get my CD player unstuck, I'll post a review of the rest of it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 5:51 pm

Glad you liked most of it kmorg. I'll have the last review up tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 11:10 pm

Toho it was my pleasure to put that together.....

I'm glad that you seemed to dig most of it.... Always a little nervous 'bout that... but hey what better way to hear bands you've always wanted to hear...

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 25679
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 9:17 am

Here`s some thougts about Sideshow`s disc two:

1 Incusion Dementa - Some Overdo It
More obscure Thrash from Holland that I`ve never heard of Smile .
For some reason i think they sounded more American than Euro Thrash when i heard the song for the first time. Either way, a great tune, would love to get a hold of this album!

2. Cancer - Corpse Fire
Wow this is hard hitting stuff!
I dont know or like much Death Metal, but this is thrashy enough for me to really dig it.
A very positive surprise.

3. Death Squad - Mad As Hell
US Thrash, the production is not the greatest i`ve heard in my life and the vocals are too loud in the mix for my tastes, but that aside it is still a decent tune.

4. Nemesis - The Godfather
Nice intro to this one, fast and furious German Thrash. Another completely unknown band to me. Good song but also maybe lacking a little originality.

5. Cyclone - Paralysed
No surprise here comes another great but unknown Thrash tune!
Sounds like something from the good old days, lots of great riffing....

6. President - smurfed Nightmare
Spanish Thrash is not something you hear everyday, this is actually one of my favorites on this disc, great song, riffing and soloing. Not much hope of finding this one at the local supermarket i guess, but i want this CD if i dont have to break the bank to get it.

7. Avalanche - Pressure Point
Thrash with a little more groove this one, not bad at all.

8. Vanadium - Preacher Of Hate
Aussie Thrash! One of the better songs this, cool song that`s got it all really, riffing, breaks, gang vocals and enough melody to keep me interested.
Why did they not become Australias answer to Metallica?

9. Fury - Bleeding Me Dry
More from down under.. Faster and more raw this one.
Never knew there was a Thrash scene in Australia but these two bands are very impressive

10. Su Ta Gar - Jo Ta Ke
Not used to hear Metal with Spanish lyrics, a very catchy song.
Not bad but not something i will sell body parts to get either Smile

11. Parricide - Living In Fear
US Death Thrash that`s musically ok, but the singer hmmmm, he`ll take some getting used to.

12. Section Brain - The Vision
Check Thrash, The intro has a kind of symphonic feel to it, very raw vocals that gives this band something to seperate them from the crowd. Kind of unique this one, me likes it a lot!!

13. Obnoxious - Life In A Second
More hard to describe stuff. This sounds both weird and great at the same time...
Very raw vocals mixed with some haunting clean singing. Strange one, definitely worth checking out!

|4. Jurrasic Jade - Panic Anxiety
Japanese Thrash is cool!
Not something i have a lot of, but i`ve really liked most i have heard.
This one is fast and furious with angry vocals, Love it!

15. Massacre - Cryptic Realms
Hmmm, I guess i`m starting to finally warm up to some Death Metal, this is a great tune and i may have to look into more of this....

A great comp with lots of killer bands that are new to me, I will keep both discs and try to find something by the bands i liked the most. Thanks Sideshow headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 10:46 pm

I want to announce that because the moving into new place transition/life stress/being sick stuff is easing up, that I shall finally put thoughts on DB's second disc soon. I like to really take my time with stuff like that and I haven't been able to take chunks of time to do something justifiable until a little more recently.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 12, 2010 3:21 pm

I managed to free up 2 of the slots on my car's CD changer so I'll be reviewing the remaining tracks from ME39's comp once I get through the stockpile of new CDs that came while the damn thing was out of commission. Still can't use the other two slots, one of which contains a CD that apparently is now "eaten".

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 am

Olafsto wrote:
A great comp with lots of killer bands that are new to me, I will keep both discs and try to find something by the bands i liked the most. Thanks Sideshow headbanger

Glad you liked 'em dude! Will be reviewing your second disc soon. Was a busy weekend (well, Friday wasn't busy, but I got blind drunk so writing a review wouldn't have gone well...)

Oh, and if you want that President album you'll have to go oldschool I'm afraid! Vinyl only, my friend.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 8:33 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I managed to free up 2 of the slots on my car's CD changer so I'll be reviewing the remaining tracks from ME39's comp once I get through the stockpile of new CDs that came while the damn thing was out of commission. Still can't use the other two slots, one of which contains a CD that apparently is now "eaten".

EATEEEEENNN
MY ONE DESIRE, MY ONLY WISH, IS TO BE..
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 13, 2010 9:54 pm

DB CD 2:

Deadlock - As Words To Bullet...Man, this chick needs to be a different chick. I can see how what they are doing with her would sound cool but the girl just sounds..well......like a girl (as in, 13 year old girl). Awesome growling as in the last one, which steps this band up from many melo-death influanced bands..some interesting keys utilized. I think this could be a really cool band, but I'd like to see a few things shifted around. The drumming approach for example also screams 'do exactly what's expected of you at all times in this kind of music'.

Pentagram/Mezarkabul - 1000 in the Eastland... A Sentenced - Down b-side? I almost had to check, caught me off guard here. Caveman heavy metal with a very slight power and/or gothic slant, and entertaining Engrish lyrics spit out by the Turkish Ville Laihiala. Good!

Pentagram/Mezarkabul - Give Me Something To Kill The Pain... Same vocalist? On this song, he is much closer to Geoff Tate from the 'Promised Land' or 'Hear in the Now Frontier' era. Still good, and the description of the previous song applies. Cool stuff. I am wondering how he sounds so different here though.

Moonlight Agony - Icy Plains... It's Chity! From Firewind. Musically, this band is sort of similar to old Firewind as well, but tends to kind of play it really, really safe within their power metal....maybe a little too safe, where I recognize the coolness of Chity and the guest female vocalist, but nobody else in the band. Nevertheless, good song, although it ends kind of abruptly..but basically, the band just needs to flex some more.

Moonlight Agony - Ceremony...hmm, not quite as good as last song. This is the sort of song, where if someone said 'generic flower/power metal' it would pretty much be exactly this. Ehhh..

Mortal Love - Still It Has Only Just Begun... Gothic rock/metal similar to Beseech, something I typically really love if it's really good....this one isn't really grabbing me though...girl is kind of tinny sounding...

Mortal Love - Forever Will Be Gone... Same as other song I'm afraid... Also, reading their song titles is making me feel like I'm in a time machine.

Seventh Omen - Greed... Slightly thrashy, slightly power-y stuff equally from the 80's and 90's...Doubled vocals sound a loooootttt like Alice in Chains..... Not bad per se, but there is some ooomph missing somehow from the writing and approach. Extra points for bass solo, no extra points for having 'Seventh' in the name.

Seventh Omen - The Dark Side... Ballad! Nope..gotcha. These guys are sounding something bored on this one...

Thunderstone - Virus... This band has to be extremely metal, their name is comprised of two almost-elements which together otherwise typically make up half of Chuck Norris. Well, the sound is actually more akin to a much less stuffy Sonata Arctica, which isn't bad. Band needs to show a little more personality. Cool chorus... 'There's something invisible, here with us!..' Not a bad band..

Thunderstone - Until We Touch The Burning Sun...now this one is reminding me of Threshold..which can be good or bad depending on the album...a slight power-ballad feel here.....solid, but definitely not as good as the other song..

Bolt Thrower - The 4th Crusade... good old midtempo Bolt Thrower death metal. The only problem with Bolt Thrower is I've never found the stuff where I say 'awesome!' and buy the album.... just stuff where I say 'this is cool', and that's what this song is.

Bolt Thrower - Ritual... Ok, now we are a little closer to 'awesome'...liiiifee..an endless rituaaaallll

Amorphis - Grail's Mysteries... Good death metal from the first Amorphis.. "Strong is the enemy, strong is my sword!"...Early Amorphis always felt like it needed to be trimmed a little, most noticably on 'Elegy' (yeah, sorry, but a lot of that album goes nowhere last time I checked), but still enjoyable.

track 15... DB has evidently eaten (eateeennn!) the portion of my songlist which has information for 15 and 16 so I have to improvise. I know this is another Amorphis song from the debut, and I like it a little better than 'Grail's Mysteries'.

track 16... more Amorphis from that era... this one is cool, with some great blasts, but also doesn't really cross THAT line...it makes me think of how the evolution on 'Tales From The Thousand Lakes' helped them so much...simply because, I don't feel like, after hearing 3 in a row, they could pull off a whole album of more straight death metal and it not vary in quality. Here, the guitars sound very bound to just a few melodic ideas, which is NOT the way to good death metal..
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 10:38 am

MetalGuy’s Review of Disc #1 from Locky

Kudos to you Locky for giving me an entire disc of music that I’m completely unfamiliar with (Disc 2 has a coupla of repeats). The only artist I know on disc one is King Diamond and even then, I never heard this song. So I’m going into this review blindly and just throwing out some impressions from what I hear.

1. Angus Khan – Call Me Motherf***er
Great song to kick off an album. Angers up the blood. I was driving into work with this song on and was doing 85 mph in no time. I vaguely recognized the name and when I looked up the album, I immediately remembered the cover as a disc I passed over in a used shop downtown I sometimes frequent. Next time I go there, I’ll be looking for this album which pretty much assures it will be gone.

2. Thunderhead – Young and Useless
A band that I never heard of, but need MORE!! Another good fist-pumping, rocking, rebellious song that makes me want to punch someone, break their stuff, have dirty sex with their girlfriend and wipe my junk on the curtains as I walk out the door. Just thinking of this song makes my testicles swell with testosterone.

3. Midnight – Painted Skies (feat Jon Olivia)
…and then this happened. I’m guessing this “Midnight” is the former lead singer of Crimson Glory that put out a solo album. Anyway, this sounds like a left-over track from a latter day Savatage album. Nothing inherently wrong with this piano ballad, but putting this as the 3rd track really takes away from the momentum that the first 2 tracks built up. Brings things to a grinding halt too early in the proceedings. And the singing reminds me of that old SNL bit with Dana Carvey at the piano “She’s chop-ping brocco-LEEEEEE”.

4. King Diamond – Sleepless Nights
Only in the last year or so, I’ve been warming up to King’s vocals. Used to be I could only take his wailing for so long before I’d pop out the cd. Now it’s slightly less annoying. I have a few discs and I’m starting to appreciate the musicianship, especially on the old Mercyful Fate albums. Good tune and if money were no object, I’d probably track down more of his work. Just got the gold disc re-issue of Abigail a few weeks ago at a flea market for $2. Looks like I’m on my way.

5. Falkirk – Two of a Kind
Competent Euro-flavored power metal. This is probably the kind of stuff that warms the cockles of Metallic Blaze as he rides upon his majestic steed and slays the wicked with a flaming sword of vengeance, but it’s not really my thing. Works fine on a comp and not a bad tune, but I couldn’t take a whole album of this stuff. Next please.

6. Coldwater – Religious Wars
The music sounds like it was recorded in the 3rd stall of the men’s room in the Greyhound bus station at 10th & Market streets and the vocals sound too loud over the mix. However, aside from the shite production values, it’s a good tune. It adds to the charm and I could see listening to more of this. It’s as gritty & dirty as the bathroom floor where it was recorded.

7. Cruachan – The Very Wild Rover
Celtic rock music? Fiddles, pan flutes and Marshall stacks!! Not typically the stuff I listen to, but if I were sitting in a pub with a few pints and a shot or 2 of Jamison in me and this song came on, I’d riverdance across the bar and kick ya in the bollocks. Then buy you another round as we locked arms and sung some football chants & cheers.

8. New York – TeasR
Catchy song. Not much more to add here. Has a sorta NWOBHM vibe to it. Not the gritty early stuff, but the slightly more polished stuff that came out later. I could probably listen to more of this.

9. Madball – Pride (Times Are Changing)
A little hardcore maybe? The shouted vocals don’t quite mesh with the groove of the music, but still listenable. And it’s short and sweet. Doesn’t futz around with solos or lengthy intros. Get in and get out. It works just fine.

10. Wicked Angel – White Lies
Pretty good melodic metal. The vocalist sounds great when he’s signing, but when he switches to the shrieking and harsher vocals, I start looking around for a sharp implement to jam in my ear canals. Rougher than a badger’s arse or whatever it was that Locky used to say. Still, not bad. I’m not hitting the skip button.

11. Pegazus – Ballad of a Thin Man
Clever use of the lyrics in this song. It takes a whole bunch of Thin Lizzy song titles and uses them to tell a story. I can appreciate that kind of work. Good tune. I’d have to hear more from the band though before I’d purchase. One clever song does not an album make.

12. Wildside – Hang On Lucy
I kinda remember these guys from back in the day. Moreso that I remember seeing their cd in a used shop that I used to visit. That place went out of business long ago. Wish I woulda snagged that disc. Good 80’s style glammy/hair metal with a sorta Slaughter vibe to it. I think these guys came out too late in the scene though to make any impact but a nice nostalgic tune to remind of the good old days.

13. The Great Kat – Metal Messiah
I’m more familiar with her obnoxious attitude and her ample cleavage than her music, but this is a nice guitarist wanking shred-fest, 80‘s style. The lyrics are a bit repetitive, but Kat’s all about burning up the fret board, so I can let that slide. Fun tune though.

14. Pretty Maids – We Came To Rock
Eh, ok melodic metal tune but the band name turns me off. Pretty Maids? Strike 1. Cheesy lyrics and keyboards? Strikes 2 and 3 for these poofsters. You’re outta here!! Next up to the plate, Mr. Sinister.

15. Mr. Sinister – I Stalk The Streets
Good tune. Nice metal tune with clean vocals. ‘Nuff said.

16. The Dangerfields – Rock Club
Fun song about the glory days of going to see bands “back in the day”. Catchy tune that again works well on a comp, but a whole album of this stuff might be a bit much. Sounds like something Steel Panther might do. Fun for a few spins till the novelty wears off. I dunno, maybe I’m wrong. Might need to investigate a little further.

17. Falconer – The Clarion Call
More epic power metal. Nicely done, but not my bag. You can ride into battle with your flags held high. I’ll stay back at the bar, telling ribald jokes and diddling your women. Pass.

18. Wind Wraith – Let The Blood Run Red
I like this. Despite what I just said about Falconer and their “epic ways”, this is metal done with some grit and attitude and taking over the world without the cheese. I’d listen to more of this.

19. Steve Hughes – Death Metal and Cooking
A comedy routine? Apparently the former drummer from Mortal Sin does some sort of stand-up now. A fine way to wrap-up disc 1. Funny stuff, if you like that sort of British/Austrailian dry humor. Liberal use of the “f” word and a sprinkling of the word “c*nt” thrown in for good measure. If that stuff offends you, this might not be your thing. I found it amusing. And taking shots at Boy George gets a thumbs-up too.

Overall, Locky did a nice job with disc number 1. It’s a fine listen all the way through and while not every song hits the mark, I’m not skipping over them either. The downside is that while I found most of the tunes enjoyable, there wasn’t much that made my balls bounce up and down like a yo-yo. Aside from the first 2 bands, I don’t know that there is much else that I’d track down or need to hear more from. That might change with some repeated listens though. Like Wildside or Wind Wraith for example. Disc 2 will be forthcoming. I need to top off my coffee and chomp on a few marshmallow Peeps that I pilfered from the kids Easter Baskets.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm

Not liking Pretty Maids and Midnight should be a bannable offense...... just sayin'!

Crying or Very sad

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 1:45 pm

kmorg wrote:
Not liking Pretty Maids and Midnight should be a bannable offense...... just sayin'!

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_cry

I'm only basing the Midnight review on that 1 song and even then, it's mostly for placement on the comp. Had it been at the end, I may have been more forgiving. So I could be swayed on that one. Does that cd have some more rocking moments?

Pretty Maids on the other hand COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_rolleyes . I've heard a few songs here and there and it didn't do a thing for me. I'll give 'em a point for putting boobies on an album cover though...

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Pretty_Maids_Jump_The_Gun

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 1:53 pm

I think Futureworld is the best Pretty Maids album. The track on the comp is from that one but isn't one I would pick for a comp.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 10:45 am

FYI, the Midnight track is not on any album, as far as I know. It was put on his MySpace site post-mortem.....

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next