Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews

Go down 
+11
SideShowDisaSter
Dave the Boss
Orion Crystal Ice
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
Olafsto
manny
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:11 pm

I think you're gonna love Keldian DB.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:39 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I think you're gonna love Keldian DB.

Judging by those two songs, I'm sure I will. I actually ordered both their albums.

I also ordered Labyrinth-s/t, Falconer-Northwind, and Dark Moor-Tarot (I wanted Gates Of Oblivion but that and most Dark Moor albums are imports and are very pricey, $30-$104). Since I got both Keldian CDs I'm saving Stormwitch for later.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

That Dark Moor is my favorite by that band as well. Between the Keldian, Falconer and Dark Moor, that's one heckuva haul in my book! Happy listening!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 8:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
That Dark Moor is my favorite by that band as well. Between the Keldian, Falconer and Dark Moor, that's one heckuva haul in my book! Happy listening!

Thanks, I'm sure I'll eat it up. Thanks again to OCI for introducing me to some awesome music.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 pm

Seeing as I'm out of work sick right now (bronchitis), I've got time on my hands in abundance. I received my discs from Olaf a few days ago, and have been listening to them for a bit now. Here is a review of disc 1:

1. Hatred - Madhouse Symphonies
Now this was a pleasant start! I’d never heard of these thrashers from Germany, and this is an oversight I must correct. Aggressive thrash with slight power metal influences. The vocalist has a nice gravelly edge to his voice. A dash of melody during the solo, which compliments the fast, powerful riffs during the verses. Sure, it isn’t breaking new ground, but DAMN! I LOVE thrash played with conviction and attitude, and that is what Hatred does here!

2. Silver Sypher - Pain
A very mellow start to track two. A clean riff with a spoken word verse over the top. The band kicks in after a bit with a chunky riff and some really nice clean, soaring vocals. Simple, yet catchy power metal (not the keyboard-laced stuff). Not my usual style, but this tune was very catchy. I wouldn’t mind hearing some more from this band.

3. Chastain - Paradise
I’ve heard of David Chastain and his many works, and the consensus I got was that Chastain was some of his better stuff. Still, I’ve not heard much from them. I know they played heavy metal with occasional speed metal influences. Anyway, this tune was GREAT! Old-school metal with a touch of speed metal. Leather has an interesting voice. A gruff edge, and powerful delivery. Not what you would usually expect from a woman! The guitar work is phenomenal, and the solos absolutely SHRED! I REALLY need to get some of these Chastain albums!

4. United - Revenger
Now here is a band I am VERY familiar with. United is one of Japan’s longer running bands. I owned their earlier albums (still have the first two full-lengths) and loved ‘em! This tune from their 3rd full-length, and first one to see Stateside release, is a smasher! This was probably their last true “thrash” album. You can hear the growing groove metal tendencies, but for the most part this is old school thrash. I can’t get enough of the heavily accented vocals!!! Loves me some Japanese thrash.

5. Lions Share - Cult Of Denial
Acoustic riffs bring us into song five. I’ve heard this band name mentioned, but haven’t heard a single note ‘til now. The first distorted riff that comes in has a hook big enough to snag a whale! I also like the use of the artificial harmonics. The vocals remind me a bit of Chris from Grave Digger, though the fellow here has a bit more range. The solo is an absolute killer! Mid-paced power metal with TONS of attitude. I think I need to hear more from this band, as this tune put an ear-to-ear grin on my face.

6. Me First And The Gimme Gimmes - Blowing In The Wind
Wow, this one was….different. This one screams punk, though the vocals were much more melodic than you’d think. Never heard of these guys, to be honest. An interesting tune, no doubt. Very catchy, with simple riffs. A fun little romp!

7. Thunderbolt - Heavy Metal Thunder
I’ve heard of this band, but haven’t heard their music before. This is classic heavy metal with no frills, no experiments, no meandering into other genres. The vocalist has a nice clean voice, though he does sound like a ton of other singers past and present. This is a band that obviously loves artists like Vicious Rumors, Armored Saint, etc. It’s not original in any way, but it is fun, and that I think is the point.

8. Harm - Backfire
Oh my! This tunes opens up with sheer menace! And then it delivers on that promise! Full-bore thrash metal in the vein of Kreator, Sodom, etc. Blistering speed, snarled and screamed vocals with an almost tortured edge, and cannon-like drums. I’d not heard of these guys, and that was a serious mistake. The production is top-notch, and creates a massive sonic wave that crashes into you. I detect a slight technical influence in the riffs. I REALLY, REALLY like this one!

9. Volbeat - Caroline Leaving
I’d heard of this band, and even heard a track or two. Nothing really stuck then, but this tune works much better than the ones I’d heard before. Powerful riffs with some charismatic vocals. This singer has a clean style, and a unique delivery. A nice melodic approach during the chorus. A slight groove influence in the riffs, but I also detect an almost Maiden-like hint as well. This was definitely an interesting tune, and was MUCH better than the 2 or 3 tunes I’d heard from this band before!

10. Formicide - Perfect Race
Back to what I love; blistering thrash metal! I’ve been meaning to pick this album up for so long it borders on ridiculous! Oldschool Bay Area thrash metal. The speed varies nicely between full-throttle thrashing and mid-paced stomping. I can’t get enough of this stuff. How these guys never got past demo stage back then is a mystery to me. They are just as good as many other bands that had major label releases. Hell, I’d say they were better than many!

11. Agnostic Front - Casualty
Hardcore legends, plain and simple! This guys even dipped into crossover thrash territory on several occasions. This is one such occasion, as this song has strong riffs with a quick pace. Not the usual simple chug riffs you usually find in hardcore. Hell, there is even some soloing done! Gang vocals abound, and the aggression is almost unreal!

12. Sacrilegio - Dark Purity
Yet another band I’ve heard of, but not heard a note from. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by this one! Thrash with power metal influences done right! Nice clean, yet aggressive vocals. The riffs are quick paced and catchy, with some nice melody thrown in. The bass is only slightly audible. Sounds like it follows the riffs, though. The drum work is very good. Double-bass is present nearly throughout. A little more variation there would be nice, but it’s not a major complaint.

13. Motorhead - Nightmare/The Dreamtime
The mighty Motorhead! I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY need to get the Motorhead catalogue. I’ve owned some of their albums at points over the years. Don’t know why I got rid of them, as I always enjoy them…. I’ve heard this tune before, but it has literally been YEARS since I heard it (over a decade ago, closer to two!).

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 6:31 pm

WOW thanks for the great review Sideshow!! Glad you liked it..
Here is my review of disc one:

1. Chemical Breath - Arachnid
This is the first of many bands on this disc that i`ve never heard.
I tend to avoid most bands that are labeled death or deat thrash, but this one is really great. Mid paced thrash with vocals that fits the music perfect. Something i would buy if it is still available.

2. Manilla Road - White chapel
This is a band i have been meaning to check out so many times, but never have. The song didn`t grab me on first listen, but after some more spins it grows and i like it a lot. Epic and fast power metal with no keys. They have been around for years, and i guess they should would have deserved a bit more sucsess...

3. Mercyless - Substance of purity
French metal is not something you hear everyday. This is a pretty rough sounding thrash band with some death metal in there as well.
Not bad, but not something i will rush to the store to get either.

4. Hammer Witch - Let there be darkness
Now this sounds interesting. Hard to describe style wise, i have no idea who to compare them to, but i really enjoy this track.

5. Physical attraction - Your obligation
Swedish thrash, silly name for a thrash band, but the music is far from silly. This song has it all really, the time changes to make it interesting, solos, riffs and vocals is the way i like them, clean but agressive.
This is one i will look for.

6. Suiciety - Brother hate/sister pain
More thrash now from Germany, never heard of this one either. A cathy tune. Germany is the home of so many great metal bands, and these guys could very well have been up there with the big guns, but it seems like they only gave out this one album.

7. Amboog-A-Lard - Beyond insanity
WOW. This is one hell of a great song. Extremely catcy and quite different from anything i have heard before. Those rythms just makes me wanna jump around like a maniac. I sure hope this is still available??

8. Jewel - Blasting glory
Very melodic power/speed metal, nice to have a little melody after all the thrash COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_lol .
Why doesn`t European power metal sound like this anymore??

9. No Return - Trash world
More thrash!! Another french band, i like their sound and the song grows with more spins, another positive surprise

Got to go but will be back with the rest of the disc soon...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 7:03 pm

MG71 First Disc.

CD 1 “Metal”

01 – Rollins Band – Are you Ready ?

Until this comp. I never knew this cover existed, I had heard a bare handful of Rollins Band tracks up to now, but this was new to me, an enjoyable cover the highlight of which was guitarist in the band whose work was top class.

02 – Shadows Fall – Still I Rise

A band whom I’ve never bothered with, nothing against them it’s just with the abundance of Metal out there that bands fall through the cracks and I never pick them up in stores. I wouldn’t be familiar with their catalogue but I think it was the artwork that never inspired me to take a chance on them. This song is a song that I wouldn’t get bored of too easily but it certainly wouldn’t inspire me to search out more from them.

03- Cauldron – The Striker Strikes

I used to think that the best thing to come out of Canada was the road to the US but Cauldron have shattered them thoughts, great song by an equally great band, I look forward to hearing more from these guys in the future. Canada have a couple of solid Metal bands at present who are making waves in the international scene, Cauldron are one the other being Savage Blade who are signed to Pure Steel Records.

04 - Wolf – Evil Star

I recently only managed to pick up this album, shame on me for missing out on the album “Evil Star” for so long. I can see that some may find the vocals a turn off but they suit the band IMO, great Swedish Heavy Metal.

05 – Ballistic – Corpse Stacked High

Loved the music but the vocals turned me off until the chorus came in to play, that was great but the verses made me cringe, would like to hear more of the band to give them a chance.

06 – SSS – New Dogs

Decent Crossover from the UK, I have this CD myself, luckily this track is only 1.28 long as it becomes too generic after a while.

07 – Black Tide – Shockwave

This is one band that I need to certainly hear more from, I heard their name being thrown about over the web but knew nothing about them until this comp. I’ll pick this baby up soon (thanks MG71).

08 – Lazarus A.D. - Revolution

Not really a fan of these guys, I got this album shortly after it came out and never grew fond of it, I later traded it way. Vocals killed it for me.

09- Serpentcult – New World Order

I wouldn’t be Doom Metal’s biggest fan, I can handle a healthy dose of Cathedral on a regular basis together with some My Dying Bride but it doesn’t extend much further than that, although the vocalist is a fine thing and I wouldn’t mind giving her the “full Irish” any time, the vocals were lost in the music and didn’t help persuading me towards this band.

10 – Gothic Slam – Stand Up & Fight

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, the older ones are the best (and I aint talking about MILFs here), Tremendous song from the brilliant band who brought us two great albums.

11 – Boarders- Baptized in Blood

Listenable is all I can say about this really, nothing worth getting a neck injury over.

12 – Probot – Shake your Blood (feat. Lemmy)

Probot, the USA’s answer to latter day Annihilator (only better), all I’m going to say about this track is Lemmy you fookin’ legend.

13 - The Vengeful Few – Madhouse

Never judge a book by it’s cover, or in this case never judge a song by its title, I was hoping that a song call “Madhouse” from a band called TVF would turn out to be an Anthrax cover (alas not), OK so the cover art is appalling but the music is not, this from their self titled debut and there’s promise here, I see CDBaby have this so it may be thrown in with my next order there. Good solid Heavy Metal from the US of AAAAAA

14 – Warrel Dane – The Day that Rats went to War

A far cry from the Sanctuary days of past, I didn’t check out anything from this solo effort from the Nevermore vocalist as I truly had not interest in him or this album, best part of the song is James Murphy’s solo.

15 – Siam – Sacrifice Divine

Love this band, bloody albums are bastards to find though, great Metal from my next door neighbours from the UK, I always get memories of Impellitteri when listening to these guys. Love it.

16 – Pantera – Primal Concrete Sledge

MG called this Slugde, maybe a typo or not !!!!!!! bloody hell it’s been a decade or more since I listed to “Cowboys from Hell”, great album and track.

17 – Megadeth – Crown of Worms

Classic ‘deth from the early 90’s. ‘nuff said

18 – Nudeswirl – F Sharp.

Never heard of them, best I can come up with is a comparison to Jane’s Addiction. Probably a radio hit.

19 – Motorhead – We Are Motorhead

Still sound like classic Motorhead, and yes Lemmy is still a Fookin’ legend

20 - Trivium – The Crusade

Liked the Crusade album, didn’t like the two albums prior to that though. What a way to finish off a 20 track compilation, an 8minute instru”f**king”mental, did you think I had nothing better to do that sit through that ? did ya ? well your day will come and so will my compilation CDs, so we’ll see who laughs last.

Overall impressions were good, there was a couple of dodgy moments in there but luckily that fookin’ legend of a Lemmy saved the day.

Last edited by kmorg on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:00 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : making it easier to read)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm

CD 2 “Rock”

01 – Puny Human – Champagne Minivan

Don’t know how to label this, I guess I’ll call it alt. Rock and leave it at that, didn’t really like it.

02 – Ace Frehley – Outer Space

Hadn’t heard a single note from the latest album from the former Kiss guitarist until this landed in the post box. Damn it looks like I’ve been missing out on one great album if this track is anything to go by, another for the “purchase” list.

03 – Joe Perry – We’ve Got a Long Way to go

I wouldn’t have paid any attention to Perry’s releases over the past 5 years but this is a strange one to me, it certainly doesn’t to me sound like a 2009 release, maybe I was expecting more of a rocking tune from auld Joe, but it surprised me.

04 – Duff McKagen’s Loaded – The Slide

Don’t like it, I liked Duff’s debut solo album “Believe in Me” but I never liked the “Loaded” material, one of those things.

05 – TAB the Band – Looking Pretty, Pretty

Never heard of them before, TAB are a good rock outfit going by this track, some searching will have to commence.

06 – Black Moses – Baj (Oh Yeah)

Oh No, I couldn’t handle this at all, nope not one bit

07 – Witchcraft – If Crimson was your Colour

Em, Swedish doom metal, with a real 70’s feel to it, not something I’d purchase but I certainly wouldn’t turn it off the stereo if it was playing. Well produced too.

08 – Wolfmother – Apple Tree

Rock from down under, smashing stuff indeed.

09 – Sir Hedgehog – Gimme the bone

More 70’s inspired Rock which is surprisingly enjoyable, Don’t know much about this Canadian outfit

10 – Priestess – Lay Down

Another band that I have to admit to knowing nothing about, this is damn fine material though.

11 – Johnny Thunders – Daddy Rollin’ Stone

I think it’s only due to the interventions of Phil Lynott & Steve Marriott that save this track, I’ve never heard a full Johnny Thunders album and judging by Johnny’s vocals I doubt I could sit through a listening. Good song all the same.

12 – The Four Horsemen – Can’t Stop Rocking

The song title says it all when it comes to this track, the Four Horsemen were a great band, I have their CDs and they get occasional spins here, not one fault here.

13 – Social Distortion – Ring of Fire

Not the greatest version of this track and to be honest Social Distortion in my opinion don’t do themselves any favours
with this cover.

14 – Neurotic Outsiders – Angelina

Shame this isn’t the Richard Marx song as that’s a better track than this one. Nothing to look at here, move along.

15 – Trouble – Ride the Sky

Loved the earlier Trouble albums, but the more recent ones just don’t excite me the way the band used too, this is still Trouble but the edge is well gone from their hay days.

16 – The Illuminati – Going Down

More great Rock from Canada, damn MG71 knows his Canadian Rock, great song, too bleedin’ short,more must be sought out.

17 – Flies on Fire – Cold Heart of Mine

Wow, probably the best track on either of the CDs, a Hard Rock anthem, pure class, more than likely it would cost an arm and a leg to get either of their two CDs at this stage but I will try. Thanks again MG71.

18 – Junkyard – Misery loves Company

Damn I never knew these guys were still active, I remember having some of their early material years ago, just decent Hard Rock at that stage but this sounds good, this will pass the time while I await a Cinderella studio album.

19 – The Faces – Ohh La La

I only know this song from the odd radio airplay that it gets over here now and again, I think it’s been used in some TV adds too but I’m screwed if I can remember for who (a Car or Phone company comes to mind), again this falls into the list of music I’d listen to and wouldn’t purchase.

20 – The Outlaw Pandas – I Scream

Great song, I was singing “Ice Cream” for most of the track, thinking these guys sure do love their Ben & Jerrys. Hard to find out much about the band, but it’s real radio friendly Rock.

21 – Joey Ramone – What a Wonderful World

Much better cover version than the butchered Johnny Cash track from earlier on this Disc , Louis Armstrong should be proud.

22 – Frank Zappa – Return of the Son of Shut Up & Play yer Guitar

The Shifty bastard pulled another fast one on me, yes you guess it, another 8minute instrumental, the only saving grace is that it’s from the guitar king Frank Zappa.

Overall not as memorable as Disc 1 but still this CD had some good moments on it and between both discs I found some new music that I would probably never have found had it not been for this Comp.

Thanks MetalGuy71.

Last edited by Locky on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm

Incorrect Locky. You can get both Flies on Fire albums used for next to nothing. I have them both and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Fire/dp/B000008FNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269655395&sr=8-1

And this one's my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000008FNL/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269655439&sr=1-2&condition=used

BTW, "Cold Heart Of Mine" is off the second one.

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:08 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Incorrect Locky. You can get both Flies on Fire albums used for next to nothing. I have them both and love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Flies-Fire/dp/B000008FNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269655395&sr=8-1

And this one's my favorite:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000008FNL/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269655439&sr=1-2&condition=used

BTW, "Cold Heart Of Mine" is off the second one.

Damn they sure are for next to nothing, thanks Toho,
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:13 pm

Good investment IMO Locky. Both albums sound a lot like early Black Crowes or Rolling Stones. If you like that style they're both easily worth the price IMO.

The first one has a slightly more country vibe (hence the reason I don't like it as much as the second one) and Outside Looking Inside is even better than Shake Your Moneymaker by the Crowes IMO.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Been a week since the move and I've finally had time to check out DB's comp and put up the review. Smile We'll start with CD 1..

Aska - Her Ghost Remains...The production is oddly muffled on this, which, along with the keys, give this an odd but cool electronic feel, as the band is a little quiet in many parts of this song..the sound does suffer when they come back in, however..Style wise, this is American power metal in the more 'new' kind of fashion (as opposed to the old, from the 80's, so we're clear), with more of an airy kind of feel. There are a LOT of American bands that do this style, where it feels VERY forced, like they are trying so hard to be legit that the heart isn't there..I don't find that with this band, which is good....but on the other hand, the production really really needs some work, and I found myself really enjoying one part of the song but then another part I would be thinking how I would have done it differently...so the songwriting comes off as a little fragmented. The vocals are very good, similar to say Tim Aymar.

Aska - Vowbreaker...A little more solid in songwriting than the first one, but at the same time I enjoyed the more creative leanings of the first one better...this one is less airy, more of a straightforward power metal song...but unfortunately shares the same problems otherwise as the first one..sometimes lyrically this one is awkward...now I did more research after spinning the comp, this particular band, this is their most recent release out of 5 full lengths and these issues haven't been ironed out...kind of concerning, but..

Prototype - Trinity... I had heard some Prototype before, and it felt very...........you know when people discount the entire 'prog' genre based on bands that have this and that tendancy? This band unfortunately is one of those bands for me...the songwriting is just not there. I need to explain to everybody really quick why there is always such a furor for a lot of European bands; it's because a lot of American bands don't come across with the same unrestrained enthusiasm and shamelessness and heart. That is why. Say what you want about how all bands here try to be more heavy, or all bands there try to have more keys, whatever the generalization is, but I just told you the secret. Prototype just seems so .... worried about sounding progpower, sounding metal, having a good production, that the fire and the songwriting ends up thin. If it does not flow naturally, if a sound, style, riff, whatever it is, does not come naturally, there IS a portion of your audience who will notice. People who say they just hate whatever this is in general, I at least implore you to play, say, 'Through Osiris Eyes' by Pagan's Mind, or 'The Words Unspoken' by Andromeda next to this song so you can at least figure out what I'm talking about for yourself.

Prototype - Mind in Motion...nice 'Dune' sample at the beginning..but otherwise, I've got the same issues going on as the song before....

Suspyre - Let Freedom Ring (The Heart of it All)...This is a Sensory band, and I love just about everything I've heard come out of the Laser's Edge...tons of good progressive, prog, coming out of there...having said that, this band strikes me as a little underdeveloped...stylistically, this is sort of a more focused, streamlined Dream Theater...or, close to Dominici if you know that one.....pre chorus and chorus has got a spark to it....however, it feels surrounded by 'prog stuff' which kind of recalls the blah of Prototype. Lyrically it's a little awkward too, not much room for subtlety in the American criticism present..the problem isn't in the subject matter, but just the awkward bluntness it comes across with...makes me think of some of those later Ministry and KMFDM records, but with less profanity of course...Not too bad, but this band can do much better, and needs more of an identity..

Seasons of the Wolf - Quilex...Interesting blend of different aspects of metal originating from the 70's, 80's, and 90's here..there is some doom, a little prog rock (the keys they utilize are sweeeeeet!)..a big foundation of traditional, very basic heavy metal..topped off with a guy who sounds a bit like Bobby Blitz mixed with Mark Shelton....for some reason this makes me feel kind of 'ugh' in one or two parts (she's my queen of rock and ROLLLLLL!!)..although, this band does have a little original feel on their side...this is a good song...but I just don't know that I have a mood that this song perfectly fits.....I will not rule out that the band may grow on me, however.

Seasons of the Wolf - Storm of the Century... same as above, really.

Armegeddon - Illusions' Tale...a Christopher Amott project apparently..here we've got some uplifting, mid-paced AOR influenced powerish metal..what's this? Is that Ted Pilot from Fifth Angel on vocals? No..........but wow, that is close. Definitely a strong point. This is a good song......

Armageddon - Embrace the Mystery...hmm, slight change, although it's from the same album....some progginess here..don't like this one as much as the first one, however. Definitely not as memorable. Doesn't jump out at me like the first one..

Armageddon - Heart of Ice... a feel back to the first one from the band..and a little Whitesnake here and there...but the flaws are shared with the second song.

Circus Maximus - Glory of the Empire... I have a rule that I don't listen to bands with 'Circus' in the name. Don't ask me why. That's just one of the most irritating words I can possibly think of. This song makes me think of Knight Area, but I like Knight Area a lot, lot more...yeah, that's a pretty lame name too, but really, you CM fans, check that band out. Cool vocals here..but songwriting, this isn't hitting me.

Circus Maximus - Imperial Destruction...CM tries a groove thing and it doesn't work.

Deadlock - World Domination...this is a cool intro to..

Deadlock - We Shall All Bleed....the first thing I hear is some blasts and 'COME ON MOTHERF*****"...at which I loled. Seems death metal at first, which is a good thing, kind of turns into melo-death, which isn't typically as good...Great vocals, very old school sounding e.g. Steve Rowe....guitars not doing a lot unfortunately, which is strange...There are isolated female vocals in the chorus, which is a cool chorus, but the problem is she sounds about 15 and she is mixed in a really weird, distracting way. Undecided about this one...not great or terrible either..

CD 2 coming soon!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Circus Maximus is an awesome band, you pansy! lol!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Looks like my comp this time around isn't going too well. The problem is all the REAL good bands I have are bands everyone is familiar with (except in the case of AOR and melodic hard rock-which I was pretty sure OCI wouldn't care for) which makes these things so difficult. It's so much easier to make comps for someone who is just starting out in metal or hasn't been exposed to much of it. I always walk away getting more from Comp Swap than those who receive my comps.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 3:54 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Looks like my comp this time around isn't going too well. The problem is all the REAL good bands I have are bands everyone is familiar with (except in the case of AOR and melodic hard rock-which I was pretty sure OCI wouldn't care for) which makes these things so difficult. It's so much easier to make comps for someone who is just starting out in metal or hasn't been exposed to much of it. I always walk away getting more from Comp Swap than those who receive my comps.

Don't feel bad DB same thing happens with some of the comps I have created, anyway think of it this way you have expanded their knowledge on certain bands if they don't like 'em, they don't like 'em but now they are at least aware of them.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 4:38 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Men-on

Don't get maaaaad!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Well, I guess I did ok with Locky, judging from his reviews. I figured I'd have to dig pretty deep to find something he hasn't heard. Glad you enjoyed 'em.

Quote :
20 – The Outlaw Pandas – I Scream

Great song, I was singing “Ice Cream” for most of the track, thinking these guys sure do love their Ben & Jerrys. Hard to find out much about the band, but it’s real radio friendly Rock.

At the time I was putting together your comps, this song came up on the computer. I just threw it on there for a goof. It's from a buddy of mine's band from the early 90's. They had a Cheap Trick power-pop kinda vibe. Never really went anywhere with the music but they occasionally get together to play local dives. Check 'em out here...
http://www.myspace.com/theoutlawpandas

I haven't gotten Locky's discs yet, but I had fun doing this swap. Sign me up for the next one.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 5:35 pm

manny wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Don't feel bad DB same thing happens with some of the comps I have created, anyway think of it this way you have expanded their knowledge on certain bands if they don't like 'em, they don't like 'em but now they are at least aware of them.

That's the way I look at it too. Even if I someone hates every single track on a comp I make, as long as there was a band or two the person never heard before, I consider it mission accomplished; at least the person now knows to stay away from that band.

That said it is definitely more fun when the comp recipient likes some of the stuff.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 4:44 am

DallasBlack wrote:

I would beg to differ. Even if OCI didn't love all the songs on the comp, it gave him more then enough to write quite a lengthy review! If he totally hated it, I don't think he would have bothered. Besides, and I'm not saying this happened here, but I still wanna throw it out there, sometimes it seems that people wanna discover bands for themselves, and not jump on what someone else told them were good.

Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:08 am

Will be reviewing Disc 2 from Olaf probably Friday.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:11 pm

kmorg wrote:
I would beg to differ. Even if OCI didn't love all the songs on the comp, it gave him more then enough to write quite a lengthy review! If he totally hated it, I don't think he would have bothered.

Is that why Spec never reviewed my comps during my first time, PRD never gave me his thoughts on the comps I sent him apart from the Swap, and Bgast didn't review my 2nd from last time?

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 84826 I'm sure they just forgot about them, no sweat.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
kmorg wrote:
I would beg to differ. Even if OCI didn't love all the songs on the comp, it gave him more then enough to write quite a lengthy review! If he totally hated it, I don't think he would have bothered.

Is that why Spec never reviewed my comps during my first time, PRD never gave me his thoughts on the comps I sent him apart from the Swap, and Bgast didn't review my 2nd from last time?

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 84826 I'm sure they just forgot about them, no sweat.

hahaha no DB sorry I never wrote you about those extra cds. Was I suppose to make you more as well? I forget. I remember the cds you gave me. I found some cool stuff on them. I don't remember where that paper went where you wrote who was on what cd but I remember one band that you gave me a lot of that I really didn't care for too much. I wish I could remember the name. It was something I've heard of before. Either way sorry I didn't write you about it haha. Now I feel bad. You should have emailed me.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Toho and I swapped lots of tunes. Actually he gave me two discs to my one..... Toho great job as on disc one the only tune I heard before was from the latest WASP album.... I liked pretty much the whole disc here....

CD Disc 1

Gotthard – The Other side of Me…. very 80’s glam sound to
me.. pretty good..

Dark At Dawn – Road to Eternity….. Power Metal… vocalist a little to over the top… strained?

Bloodbound – Behind the Moon….very Maidenesque…as in VERY…
pretty good.. could look into a little bit more here

Epica – Another Me …. Female vocalist symphonic metal…. Epic
indeed!!

Hardcore Superstar – Blood on Me …… sleaze rock fer sure…. Pretty good tho..

KMFDM – Juke Joint Jezebel….. who??? Trippy stuff tho….. cyberpunk?? Cool ….

Lynam – Enemy …. Reminscient of early Bon Jovi… maybe even a rockier version of Bryan
Adams…. Cool sounding stuff.

Kiuas – Across the Snow… some speedy power metal… nice

Oysterband – We’ll Be There …. More rock n roll vibe….

Sabaton – Ghost Division …. Good sounding power metal begining of a trifecta!

Sandalinas – Fly To The Sun… vocals remind me of Allen Lande…. part 2 trifecta

Satyrian – Invictus ….. nice strong riffage…. Interesting
sound with male/female vocal… goth vibe to me… with heck a cyberpunk metal deal.... part 3 of the trifecta!

Sentenced – Drain Me… sleaze rock indeed….. the vocalist almost sounded too
melodramatic…. Lol….

Shinedown – Cry For Help…
very modern metal in vibe/sound…. Pretty good

Silent Force – Walk the Earth … good solid power metal… good chorus and
performances…

The 69 Eyes – The Good, The Bad and The Undead…. Sorta rob
zombie like pretty cool however....

Wig Wam – Rocket Through My Heart....... nice tune....

WASP – Live and Die another Day….. Great song…. iT’s WASP with a decidedly
different message…

This was a screaming disc for a lot of variety with bands I've never heard before but I've seen you post on your listening lists.... Disc 2 will be forthcoming.... thanks bro and sorry it took a little longer than normal from me...

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 506406
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 2:15 pm

Cool, glad you liked it.

I'm still working my way through yours. I pretty much only listen to music in my car these days and the commute to work is only about 15 minutes. Plus, I want to spin it several times. I'm finding stuff I like on it though.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 10:25 am

Locky's 2 discs arrived in yesterday's mail. I'll need a few days to digest all of this METAL. COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 778825

PostSubject: Re: COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews   COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

COMP SWAP VIII - The reviews
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next