Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25

Go down 
+13
Lurideath
DallasBlack
A Handful of Wayne
Dave the Boss
SideShowDisaSter
ultmetal
Metallic Blaze
Jesusandmetal23
jstate
Temple of Blood
mc666
Getizzyback
scottmitchell74
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Empty
PostSubject: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:38 pm

I was re-organizing my collection and came across more Thrash than I expected. I decided to make my Top-25 Thrash albums. I based this on only one thing - how much I like it. Not album importance, not historical importance, not was it seminal, etc...just how much did it Thrash me? Do I return to the album often? Do I remember the songs? Etc...

1 - Deliverance - Deliverance - 20 years and this never gets old. Every time I listen to it I'm amazed. That's how I know it's #1

2- Vengeance Rising - Once Dead - This was an album in high school I'd let my "secular" buddies borrow to show them Christian Thrash wasn't acapella. This was a band at its creative and energy peak. It has a sound I can't quite describe that I've never heard on another album. Bluesy Thrash?

3- Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding - Definately on the speed-metal side of Thrash. Again, this blows me away every time I hear it. Timeless. I know the vocals throw some people on this one. The vocals are part of the appeal for me.

4 - Overkill - Horrorscope - 1st listen = "man, this is good" 2nd listen = "wow, this is awesome" 3rd listen = "this is a classic, I can't believe how good this is." I've got a feeling that if I'd been listening to this 2 decades instead of 2 weeks this would be ranked high(er(est).

5 - Metallica - Ride the Lightning - 1/4 of a Century? Are you kidding me? This never gets old. Best from the Big 4, if you ask me.

6- Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare - Slightly more slick and accessable than S/T, but just as timeless for me. They had an amazing run there.

7- Testament - The Formation of Damnation - This one has melody, vocals and balls in a nice Thrash stew that works perfectly. The songs are strong and memorable.

8 - Mortification - Mortification - The brutal side of Thrash. I distinctly remember the day I got it (my 18th Birthday) and the looks on the faces of my friends at my party. Basically 9 people doing this scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_eek while me and my one metal buddy were doing scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 11840 this. Steve Rowe and Co. had an early 90's stretch of incredible music that started with this.

9- Once Dead - Visions of Hell - I know for sure this will be the biggest "what!?" head scratcher. I love this album so much. For reasons I can't explain, it seems everything this album got panned for I love. Vocals, drums, production...everything. This album kicks my butt every time and makes me play it again.

10 - Ultimatum - Into the Pit - So tight, so much energy. Love everything about this album.

11 - Warbringer - War Without End - Very fast and has a brutal edge that appeals to me.

12 - Testament - First Strike, Still Deadly - Again with the melodic accessability. These guys are great song writers.

13 - Paradox - Heresy - The lyrics, the skillful playing and the great vocals make this one of my surprise trades of 2009. How did I not hear this for so many years?

14 - Forbidden - Forbidden Evil - Here's another one I've only had for a few weeks that made me sit up and say "wow." I bet the longer I own this the higher it might climb. This deserves its reputation

15 - Metallica - Death Magnetic - Head-scratcher #2, I bet. Yes, I have this highter than MoP. That's because I like it more. MoP is good, but something about it sounds too processed while this one doesn't. I don't know...the heart wants what the heart wants. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_biggrin

16 - Vengeance Rising - Released Upon the Earth - Over the years this one has risen from its already lofty position in my Pantheon. Yes, Human Sacrifice is awesome, seminal, etc...but I love so much about Released that I couldn't rank it lower.

17 - Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction - The other piece of Thrash bread in their Death Metal sandwich. Their 3 album stretch that ended with this one is one of the best in metal history, in my opinion. This album has tons of creativity and skill.

18 - Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance - Cranking up the brutality and technicality, this album still dominates all these years later. Although I like Stop the Bleeding more, I think they peaked here in skill and execution.

19 - Metallica - Master of Puppets - There it is! Yes, still a classic, I just don't love it as much as most do. Very accessible yet heavy-duty Thrash.

20 - Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice - I've told the story elsewhere, and won't repeat it, but this was with me during my closest brush with death. Although it's now #20, there's no shame in that and at one time I bet there wasn't an album I played more. Did a lot of push-ups and sit-ups to White Throne in high school.

21 - Ultimatum - Lex Metalis - I couldn't rank a covers album higher, but this is a very good album. It gets me pumped every time I listen to it. This is very tight and well executed. I think Ult has really found himself vocally the last 5-7 years. Awesome.

22 - Blood Tsunami - Thrash Metal - Reminds me somewhat of Angela Gossow in the vocals department. Listen to this and Rise of the Tyrant back to back. Anyhow, this is some killer Thrash. I hope their new one is as good.

23 - Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction - "Megadeth finally makes it with their least Thrashy album?" Yep, and I love this one. It's my favorite from them.

24 - Mortification - Erasing the Goblin - Morty came back strong on this one. Their best since the mid-90's in my opinion.

25 - Avenger of Blood - Death Brigade - I love the chaotic energy and war themes in this one. I find this one to be tight and well executed. Great Thrash.

There it is!

Anthrax? Something about their sound just doesn't do it for me.

Exodus? I had Bonded by Blood...just didn't hit me where it counts. Haven't given them another try.

Kreator? I bet they'd make the list. I had Coma of Souls in the late 80's or early 90's. It was great, but I don't remember it enough to rank it.

There are plenty of great Thrash bands that didn't make this list. However, that might change in the future. This is the 2010 version of my Thrash 25.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

Is Death Magnetic really a thrash album?

I seriously don't know, I've not heard it, just from what I've
heard is that it's more to the commercial side.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Is Death Magnetic really a thrash album?

I seriously don't know, I've not heard it, just from what I've
heard is that it's more to the commercial side.
if you're going to consider Countdown to Extinction as thrash, then Death Magnetic would probably be considered so as well.

personally i just consider them regular metal. same with Ultimatum.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Some nice picks in there. I'm surprised to see BLOOD TSUNAMI in that list.

Check out these if you get a chance, you may really like them:

TESTAMENT - "The Legacy"
ANTHRAX - "Spreading the Disease"
FLOTSAM AND JETSAM - "No Place for Disgrace"
EXODUS - "Fabulous Disaster"
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Good stuff Scott. I badly need to re-organize my collection.

Both Horrorscope and Heresy would be in my top ten, maybe even top five.

I always see that Blood Tsunami disc. Might have to pick that up.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Overkill's Horrorscope is an amazing disc. I would encourage you to get the rest of their catalog, starting with Years of Decay. Work your way back from there, then get I hear Black on.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Some great stuff in your list. I have most of those -- and they are among my faves as well.

Just to follow your lead, I'll do my 'current' top 25 thrash albums as well.

1. Exodus - The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A (yes, it really IS that good!!!)

2. Overkill - The Years of Decay

3. Kreator - Extreme Aggression

4. Sodom - Agent Orange

5. Forbidden - Forbidden Evil

6. Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare

7. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

8. Testament - The Legacy

9. Slayer - Reign in Blood

10. Testament - The Formation of Damnation

11. Metallica - ... And Justice for All

12. Metallica - Master of Puppets

13. Metallica - Ride the Lightning

14. Sacrament - Haunts of Violence

15. Deliverance - Deliverance

16. Exodus - Fabulous Disaster

17. Testament - The New Order

18. Testament - Practice What You Preach

19. Sodom - Tapping the Vein

20. Vengeance Rising - Destruction Comes

21. Exodus - Tempo of the Damned

22. Overkill - Under the Influence

23. Sacred Reich - The American Way

24. The Crumbsuckers - Beast on My Back

25. Ultimatum - Into the Pit
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

yes it is, but certainly not better than Bonded By Blood. somehow that didn't even make your list at all.

poser. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 201269 scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 84826

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Of the newer Exodus albums, I like Tempo of the Damned the best. I also really like the newly recorded Bonded by Blood.

Nice to see Into the Pit on both of your lists. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 11840

I have a list like this somewhere. I'll have to search for it and post it here.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:13 pm

mc666 wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

yes it is, but certainly not better than Bonded By Blood. somehow that didn't even make your list at all.

poser. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 201269 scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 84826

I like "Bonded by Blood", as I like all the Exodus albums, but truth be told - Paul is my least favorite singer. I know that sounds like thrashphemy, but I'm just being honest. I never clicked with him like I have with Rob Dukes or Steve Souza.

My fave Exodus albums:

1. The Atrocity Exhibition: Exhibit A
2. Fabulous Disaster
3. Tempo of the Damned
4. Let there Be Blood (yea, I actually like the Rob version better than the original)
5. Pleasures of the Flesh

that would be my top 5.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Baloff is my least favorite as well.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 4:38 am

I doubt I could do a list like that. A top 100 probably......MAYBE a top 50, but only if I worked on it for a long while. For me, there are just too many awesome albums out there to narrow them down to my "favorite" 25.

You definitely have a few "classics" in there! I'd argue about two or three being able to fall under the thrash tag, but it's not my list now, is it?

If you're doing the new comp swap, and we end up paired up, I may be able to turn you on to one or two thrash bands you'd like. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_lol

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 7:06 am

1. Slayer - Show No Mercy
2. Destructor - Maximum Destruction
3. Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
4. Exodus - Bonded by Blood
5. Metallica - Kill 'Em All
6. Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force
7. Venom - Welcome to Hell
8. Sarcófago - INRI
9. Sodom - In the Sign of Evil
10. Deliverance - Weapons of our Warfare
11. Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance
12. Sepultura - Morbid Visions
13. Holocausto - Campo de Exterminio
14. Exciter - Violence & Force
15. Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
16. Anthrax - Fistful of Metal
17. Expulser - The Unholy One
18. Destructor - Forever in Leather
19. Slayer - Hell Awaits
20. Living Death - Metal Revolution
21. Morbid Saint - Spectrum of Death
22. Deliverance - Deliverance
23. Kreator - Endless Pain
24. Agent Steel - Skeptics Apocalypse
25. Believer - Extraction from Mortality
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 am

get Kreator Pleasure To Kill then you'll have to make a Thrash 26 list.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:26 am

SideShowDisaSter wrote:
I doubt I could do a list like that. A top 100 probably......MAYBE a top 50, but only if I worked on it for a long while. For me, there are just too many awesome albums out there to narrow them down to my "favorite" 25.

You're not alone my friend. I always have a hard time ranking and limiting to a certain # as well (not just in thrash but in several genres).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Thank you Scott! That's awesome to be on anyones top list! Made my day man!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Nice list man.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 12:15 am

Just like my flower metal list these are just my top thrash albums:

Tourniquet-Stop The Bleeding
Toruniquet-Microscopic View
Ultimatum-Into The Pit
Ultimatum-Puppet Of Destruction
Anthrax-Spreading The Disease
Anthrax-State Of Utopia
Anthrax-Among The Living
Anthax-Persistence of Time
Anthax-Sound Of White Noise (more power than thrash but I still think it qualifies
Metallica-Kill Em All through ...And Justice For All
Metallica-Death Magnetic (as close as they'll ever be again)
Megadeth-Peace Sells
Megadeth-Rust In Peace
Megadeth-United Abominations
Megadeth-Endgame
Death-Sound of Perseverance
Death-Symbolic
Slayer-South Of Heaven
Slayer-Reign In Blood
Xentrix-Shattered Existence
Xentrix-To Whose Advantage
Overkill-Under The Influence
Overkill-W.F.O.
Overkill-Necroshine
Overkill-Immortalis
Overkill-Ironbound (my newest addition to my favorites-and only on the 1st listen)
Exodus-Fabulous Disaster
Exodus-Pleasures Of The Flesh
Flotsam & Jestam-Cuatro
Flotsam & Jestsam-Doomsday For The Deciever
Flotsam & Jetsam-No Place For Disgrace
Bonded By Blood-Feed The Beast
The Crucified-The Crucified
Death Angel-Act III
Defiance-Void Terra Firma
Deliverance-Deliverance
Deliverance-Weapons Of Our Warfare
Deliverance-As Above So Below
Devastation-Idolatry
Hirax-El Rostro De La Muerte
Kreator-Coma Of Souls
Lazarus A.D.-The Onslaught
The Lead-Burn This Record
Living Sacrifice-s/t
Municipal Waste-Massive Aggressive
Prong-Beg To Differ
Prong-Prove You Wrong
Prong-Cleansing
Sepultura-Schizophrenia
Sepultura-Beneath The Remains
Sepultura-Arise
Sepultura-Chaos A.D.
Suicidal Tendencies-How Can A Laugh Tomorrow
Testament-The Legacy through Low (not including The Ritual)
Testament-The Formation Of Damnation
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:09 am

Like Sideshow,I'd have a hard time doing a top 25.So many great Thrash albums to include.
Scott,get some Exodus with Zetro on vocals.You will like it much better than Bonded by Blood.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:43 am

Some of my faves....listed in the order I thought of them in...

Slayer - Show No Mercy
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Deliverance - Deliverance
Deliverance - Weapons Of Our Warfare
Annihilator - Never, Neverland
Testament - Souls Of Black
Testament - Low
Tourniquet - Stop The Bleeding
Tourniquet - Psycho Surgery
Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Believer - Sanity Obscure
Believer - Extraction From Mortality
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Forbidden - Twisted Into Form
Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
Sepultura - Arise
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 am

My list would have some old Megadeth, old Metallica, early Exodus, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Sacred Reich, The first couple by Forbidden, the first couple by Annililator and some HIRAX !!!!!!!

I like newer stuff by Ultimatum, Bonded By Blood, Hatchet, Avenger of Blood, Dekapitator, some Toxic Holocaust, and some Municipal Waste.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:43 am

Shortened my list to the bare essentials...

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Overkill - Years of Decay
Overkill - Taking Over
Megadeth - Peace Sells...
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
Anthrax - Among the Living
Anthrax - Persistence of Time
Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal
Dark Angel - Leave Scars
Coroner - Mental Vortex
Coroner - RIP
Tourniquet - Psychosurgery
The Crucified - Pillars of Humanity
Living Sacrifice - s/t
Believer - Sanity Obscure
Believer - Extraction from Mortality
Mortification - s/t
DRI - Thrash Zone
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Exodus - Bonded by Blood
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster
Annihilator - Alice in Hell
Evile - Enter the Grave
S.T. - How will i Laugh...
S.T. - Lights Camera Revolution
Sepultura - Arise
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:12 am

Forgot one...

Flotsam & Jetsam - No Place for Disgrace

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 10:52 am

Quote :
Scott,get some Exodus with Zetro on vocals.You will like it much better than Bonded by Blood.

I'll check that out.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:35 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I was re-organizing my collection and came across more Thrash than I expected. I decided to make my Top-25 Thrash albums. I based this on only one thing - how much I like it. Not album importance, not historical importance, not was it seminal, etc...just how much did it Thrash me? Do I return to the album often? Do I remember the songs? Etc...

1 - Deliverance - Deliverance - 20 years and this never gets old. Every time I listen to it I'm amazed. That's how I know it's #1 10/10

2- Vengeance Rising - Once Dead - This was an album in high school I'd let my "secular" buddies borrow to show them Christian Thrash wasn't acapella. This was a band at its creative and energy peak. It has a sound I can't quite describe that I've never heard on another album. Bluesy Thrash? 9/10

3- Tourniquet - Stop the Bleeding - Definately on the speed-metal side of Thrash. Again, this blows me away every time I hear it. Timeless. I know the vocals throw some people on this one. The vocals are part of the appeal for me. 10/10

4 - Overkill - Horrorscope - 1st listen = "man, this is good" 2nd listen = "wow, this is awesome" 3rd listen = "this is a classic, I can't believe how good this is." I've got a feeling that if I'd been listening to this 2 decades instead of 2 weeks this would be ranked high(er(est). 10/10

5 - Metallica - Ride the Lightning - 1/4 of a Century? Are you kidding me? This never gets old. Best from the Big 4, if you ask me.
10/10
6- Deliverance - Weapons of Our Warfare - Slightly more slick and accessable than S/T, but just as timeless for me. They had an amazing run there. 10/10

7- Testament - The Formation of Damnation - This one has melody, vocals and balls in a nice Thrash stew that works perfectly. The songs are strong and memorable. 10/10

8 - Mortification - Mortification - The brutal side of Thrash. I distinctly remember the day I got it (my 18th Birthday) and the looks on the faces of my friends at my party. Basically 9 people doing this scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_eek while me and my one metal buddy were doing scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 11840 this. Steve Rowe and Co. had an early 90's stretch of incredible music that started with this.

9- Once Dead - Visions of Hell - I know for sure this will be the biggest "what!?" head scratcher. I love this album so much. For reasons I can't explain, it seems everything this album got panned for I love. Vocals, drums, production...everything. This album kicks my butt every time and makes me play it again.

10 - Ultimatum - Into the Pit - So tight, so much energy. Love everything about this album. 9.5/10

11 - Warbringer - War Without End - Very fast and has a brutal edge that appeals to me.

12 - Testament - First Strike, Still Deadly - Again with the melodic accessability. These guys are great song writers.

13 - Paradox - Heresy - The lyrics, the skillful playing and the great vocals make this one of my surprise trades of 2009. How did I not hear this for so many years?

14 - Forbidden - Forbidden Evil - Here's another one I've only had for a few weeks that made me sit up and say "wow." I bet the longer I own this the higher it might climb. This deserves its reputation 9.75/10

15 - Metallica - Death Magnetic - Head-scratcher #2, I bet. Yes, I have this highter than MoP. That's because I like it more. MoP is good, but something about it sounds too processed while this one doesn't. I don't know...the heart wants what the heart wants. scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_biggrin 9/10

16 - Vengeance Rising - Released Upon the Earth - Over the years this one has risen from its already lofty position in my Pantheon. Yes, Human Sacrifice is awesome, seminal, etc...but I love so much about Released that I couldn't rank it lower. 9/10

17 - Mortification - Post Momentary Affliction - The other piece of Thrash bread in their Death Metal sandwich. Their 3 album stretch that ended with this one is one of the best in metal history, in my opinion. This album has tons of creativity and skill.

18 - Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance - Cranking up the brutality and technicality, this album still dominates all these years later. Although I like Stop the Bleeding more, I think they peaked here in skill and execution. 9.5/10

19 - Metallica - Master of Puppets - There it is! Yes, still a classic, I just don't love it as much as most do. Very accessible yet heavy-duty Thrash.
9.75/10
20 - Vengeance Rising - Human Sacrifice - I've told the story elsewhere, and won't repeat it, but this was with me during my closest brush with death. Although it's now #20, there's no shame in that and at one time I bet there wasn't an album I played more. Did a lot of push-ups and sit-ups to White Throne in high school. 9/10

21 - Ultimatum - Lex Metalis - I couldn't rank a covers album higher, but this is a very good album. It gets me pumped every time I listen to it. This is very tight and well executed. I think Ult has really found himself vocally the last 5-7 years. Awesome.

22 - Blood Tsunami - Thrash Metal - Reminds me somewhat of Angela Gossow in the vocals department. Listen to this and Rise of the Tyrant back to back. Anyhow, this is some killer Thrash. I hope their new one is as good.

23 - Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction - "Megadeth finally makes it with their least Thrashy album?" Yep, and I love this one. It's my favorite from them. 9.75/10

24 - Mortification - Erasing the Goblin - Morty came back strong on this one. Their best since the mid-90's in my opinion.

25 - Avenger of Blood - Death Brigade - I love the chaotic energy and war themes in this one. I find this one to be tight and well executed. Great Thrash.

There it is!

Anthrax? Something about their sound just doesn't do it for me.

Exodus? I had Bonded by Blood...just didn't hit me where it counts. Haven't given them another try.

Kreator? I bet they'd make the list. I had Coma of Souls in the late 80's or early 90's. It was great, but I don't remember it enough to rank it.

There are plenty of great Thrash bands that didn't make this list. However, that might change in the future. This is the 2010 version of my Thrash 25.
scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 11840
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25   scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

scottmitchell74's "I'm not just a flowermetal wuss" Thrash 25
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next