Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Resurrection by Halford

Go down 
+29
MEGATRON
iamrockerfun
krokus
Metallic Blaze
the sentinel
Black Coffee
exact33
troublemagnet
GrandNational
Thrasher73
kmorg
TheButcher
James B.
Eyesore
scottmitchell74
Rex
JBall_Z
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
manny
7thSaviour
mc666
ghost
Temple of Blood
fingers
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:14 pm

Yes, best songs of that era. I'm a Ripper fanboy so I think they sound great with him singing.
My wife always says they sound angry on those albums and I think there's something right about that.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:16 pm

"Ultimatum" = generic?!
Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:36 pm

This thread is a showcase in how fans over-analyze music. If you dig it, then dig it. If not, don't. Who cares if it's generic or unoriginal or whatever. Is it good?

As for Resurrection, I quite enjoy it. It isn't original, but it is very good, which is far more important.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:38 pm

^
I concur

Metal novice
Metal novice
TheButcher

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:41 pm

I think that album is important for the year when it was released.
Metallians friends of mine waited for months this album, Judas Priest at time didn't was "at their best", and at the end of 90's their was too many band into keybords/synphonic sound.
In my opinion it's a very good album, I prefer the firsts song to the last, Lachman is a good guitarist but I don't like their "modernist" riffing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fallenfuckingangels
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Quote :
Temple of Blood wrote:

heavy metal should have good riffs and this album has ones that are decent but not great. Iommi wrote simple riffs that were good. Priest did too. This album's were worse than those examples I just cited. But this whole album is FULL of them! Nothing interesting at all!

And who is to say the riffs are good, mediocre or bad?

Any of us on this message board who wants to can say it. And any of us are free to disagree.

But your real question is who makes the final determination? No one person has a monopoly of truth in any argument, so you need to hear the reasoning in each person's viewpoint. To say all opinions are equally valid makes a website full of music reviews pretty worthless.

Quote :
I know you don't believe that this is all opinion, but it is.

There is a difference between informed opinion and uninformed.

There are artistic skills that are objectively quanitifed. The merit that someone places on different aspects of music is subjective.

Quote :

I don't find that album to be "nothing interesting at all". As a matter of fact, I revisit that album regularly. The simplistic nature of the music, the hooks, etc. are all something I enjoy.

Good for you. Is anyone trying to tell you not to? Must I agree with you for you to enjoy it?

Quote :
See, I don't think you know the difference between opinion and fact.

I think you're the one who doesn't get it. If you think musical skill is all just a matter of opinion then you're missing the point.

BTW, I used to agree with your viewpoint many years ago until I had a friend of mine who took the other side of the debate and I was convinced in the long run that he was right.

Quote :

You don't think the riffs are "good", therefor you think that the music is bland. I disagree with you. Does that make me wrong? I don't think so, thus my comment, "listen to what you like, ignore the rest."

And that comment means nothing because people already listen to what they like and avoid music they don't so you might as well be passing on the wisdom that they need to breathe air while they listen to music too.

Quote :
Yes, you are using the term "generic" for something you don't like. You don't find anything interesting about Fight, so you say it's generic.

I said there was nothing interesting in the guitar work.

Quote :
I've actually heard people call Ultimatum, Avenger of Blood and Temple of Blood "generic" on various boards, thus the reason I used them as examples.

So? Some people say Transformers was a great movie too. What kind of reasoning/examples can they back up their assertion with? That's the point.

Quote :
Obviously you don't think ToB is generic and you don't think you sound like every other 80's speed metal band, but others do. Obviously I don't think Ultimatum is generic or I wouldn't still be in this band after so many years. It's all opinions.

And not all are equal. I can specifically show you many things that my band has played that other speed metal bands have not. Can people on the other side support their opinions so specifically? If so, let's hear them do it.

Quote :

Unfortunately, you are known as one of the pickiest,

Absolutely. I have heard tons of metal and have a closet full of it and have strong views on it and I enjoy expressing them. I also like to read opinions from those who are musicians who also have heard a lot and have strong opinions.

Quote :
most pompous, arrogant people on the board. In general, you chime in 10x more if you have something negative to say about a band or album,

Well, if I agree it seems less useful for me to chime in. But I do at times.

Quote :
and usually it comes off as pompous.

I just try to be direct and cut through the baloney and group-think that passes for "free-thinking" in the metal scene. For a guy who loves Nugent, I would think you would appreciate that. I don't say anything nearly as offensive as the stuff Ted has said through the years.

Quote :
If I don't like a band, I might say so, but I consciously try not to be offensive about it.

If people are offended by opinions that differ from their own and feel the need to lash out personally then that is their own shortcoming. I'm not gonna hold someone's hand and sugar-coat everything. And I'm also not going to personally attack someone who disagrees with me ... kindof like how you decided to make this thread about me personally when you apparently couldn't think of a way to demonstrate that FIGHT's riffs weren't "generic".

Quote :
You come off as "music is about good songwriting and bad songwriting, good riffs and bad riffs. I know the difference and the rest of you don't."

I said no such thing and people's assumptions about things I never explicitly said are their own.

Quote :
Basically, you come off as a pompous jerk.

The jerks are the ones who make it personal when they disagree with someone.

Quote :

Whether you know it or not, it also affects how people view your band. Your attitude on the boards taints people's opinion of your band.

That's their own loss then. I'm not the only person in my band and my opinions are my own and not that of everyone who I've ever played with.

I think Kerry King comes across as a jerk but I listened to the latest SLAYER album irrespective of that and thought there was a lot of good stuff on it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Quote :
There is a difference between informed opinion and uninformed.

And you always come across as if yours is the only informed opinion. The rest of us hacks, we jus lissen to musik so we cun phil dose emppy spases in r hed.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:30 pm

It still all boils down to taste. If people like it, it is good to them, and that is all that matters. One cannot measure music as good or bad as set standards. It's all subjective. It's all taste.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:31 pm

kmorg wrote:
It still all boils down to taste. If people like it, it is good to them, and that is all that matters. One cannot measure music as good or bad as set standards. It's all subjective. It's all taste.
Your taste sucks.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

T-Roy wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Your taste sucks.

I know what yours do, but what does mine?

I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say to me stick back on you! Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 19976

lol!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm not really a musician, so I'm not sure if my opinion counts or not, but it's also about the songs. All of the vocal gymnastics and guitar wankery mean nothing if the songs aren't well crafted and cool.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 2:03 pm

JBall_Z wrote:
I'm not really a musician, so I'm not sure if my opinion counts or not, but it's also about the songs. All of the vocal gymnastics and guitar wankery mean nothing if the songs aren't well crafted and cool.

It's ok, ToB isn't a musician either and it does not stop him from giving us his pompous opinion.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:01 pm

How do I make an unqualified opinion qualified? Let's see I could go to school and get a degree in carpentry or go build a house. Both would give me insight that during discusion, I could elaborate well enough to state I knew what I was talking about. Which one holds more merit ?

I have been playing drums for 35+ years. Does that equate that I can only have an opinion on the quality or lack there of in regards to the drumming on somebodys songs?

Please tell me in regards to music being "good" or "bad", how one opinion isn't as valid as another.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40551

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:07 pm

manny wrote:
JBall_Z wrote:

It's ok, ToB isn't a musician either and it does not stop him from giving us his pompous opinion.

Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Lol That's hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

kmorg wrote:

Thats the best post I've seen all day.I agree with ya 100%
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 pm

How many lead singers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1 - they just stand there and hold it and wait for the world to revolve around them.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

detuned wrote:
How many lead singers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

1 - they just stand there and hold it and wait for the world to revolve around them.

Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 201269 Perhaps ToB will get the point.
Back to top Go down
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 pm

What does a stripper do with her anus before she goes to work?
Answer:Drop him off at band practice!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:14 pm

wow
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23270

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
manny wrote:
I love the 'Resurrection' CD and still thinks it is a kick ass metal album.

Same here. Loved it when I originally bought it brand new at Tower Records and still love it today.

x2. It has really stood the test of time.

Black Coffee
Metal student
Metal student
Black Coffee

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Resurrection is a prime example of a great heavy metal album. Great songs, great performances, especially by Mr Halford. Riffs that stick in your head. (I once couldn't get Slow Down out of my head for a full week. What an earworm)

Is it original? No. But you know what? A medium-rare ribeye isn't original either, but maaaaaaan it's good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:32 pm

Just throwing my hat in the ring.

I have not listening to Halford solo stuff in quite awhile. But which ever album it was that had Dickinson and Rob on the same song was very cool, imo. The two greatest voices of all time dueling on the same song. Was that on Resurrection [I am too lazy to actually look it up]?

The only album that was below stellar in the history of Rob Halfords recording career was Two [and I tried my ass off to find anything enjoyable on that album].

Just my opinion - but my opinion rules and anything the rest of you think should not matter whatsoever and be utterly disregarded....
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 pm

fingers wrote:
Just listened to resurrection and surprisingly I was not impressed by it even though Rob Halford sounds brilliant as ever I most likely be the lone man on this but I find the riffs really bland, poppy and monotonous and don't have the fire and energy of the two fight albums and Priest albums. The musicians in the band have that robotic feel and don't hold a candle to the musicians in Fight and Priest. Ok it's 1000 times better than Priest's worst album Nostradamaus which is almost on the same level as St Anger. The only song that really shines on that album is Locked and Loaded. But it's only the first time I have listened to this album and hopefully my opinion will change after I have listened to this album dozens of times and I'd imagine their next album Crucible will be more pleasing. Look I know I may be committing heavy metal blasphemy but at the moment I can't see anything good about the album.

You said that Halford "sounds brilliant as ever"; wouldn't that be the "one" thing you saw (or heard) good about the album. At least you have that to enjoy during (hopefully) future spins. I am more surprised that you think Nostradamus is JP's worst album. Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_eek Give it another spin. If you like it, great. If not, it's all good.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 6:43 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Just throwing my hat in the ring.

I have not listening to Halford solo stuff in quite awhile. But which ever album it was that had Dickinson and Rob on the same song was very cool, imo. The two greatest voices of all time dueling on the same song. Was that on Resurrection [I am too lazy to actually look it up]?

The only album that was below stellar in the history of Rob Halfords recording career was Two [and I tried my ass off to find anything enjoyable on that album].

Just my opinion - but my opinion rules and anything the rest of you think should not matter whatsoever and be utterly disregarded....

It is this album. The song, I believe, is called "The One You Love To Hate" and it is a killer tune. Peace.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resurrection by Halford
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next