Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Resurrection by Halford

Go down 
+29
MEGATRON
iamrockerfun
krokus
Metallic Blaze
the sentinel
Black Coffee
exact33
troublemagnet
GrandNational
Thrasher73
kmorg
TheButcher
James B.
Eyesore
scottmitchell74
Rex
JBall_Z
T-Roy
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
manny
7thSaviour
mc666
ghost
Temple of Blood
fingers
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Resurrection by Halford Empty
PostSubject: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 am

Just listened to resurrection and surprisingly I was not impressed by it even though Rob Halford sounds brilliant as ever I most likely be the lone man on this but I find the riffs really bland, poppy and monotonous and don't have the fire and energy of the two fight albums and Priest albums. The musicians in the band have that robotic feel and don't hold a candle to the musicians in Fight and Priest. Ok it's 1000 times better than Priest's worst album Nostradamaus which is almost on the same level as St Anger. The only song that really shines on that album is Locked and Loaded. But it's only the first time I have listened to this album and hopefully my opinion will change after I have listened to this album dozens of times and I'd imagine their next album Crucible will be more pleasing. Look I know I may be committing heavy metal blasphemy but at the moment I can't see anything good about the album.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:20 am

It's good but not a masterpiece. It was fueled by hype and people were excited that Rob was singing metal again. And many of the songs were catchy and it was overall pretty well done.

Nothing is more generic than those guitar riffs on that first FIGHT disc. Total beginner stuff crafted by Rob himself.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:29 am

I like Resurection. Totally agree what ToB said

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's good but not a masterpiece.

It was much better than that what Priest were putting out at the same time.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:36 am

it was a decent album. much better than anything Judas Priest were contributing at the time.

fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 3:42 am

mc666 wrote:
it was a decent album. much better than anything Judas Priest were contributing at the time.
hmmmmmmmm................
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:46 am

Resurrection kicks ass! 9.5/10
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 8:57 am

mc666 wrote:

100% agree
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 am

I think Resurrection is fantastic, and it has little to do with hype. It's just a good album. I think it is indeed a masterpiece and ranks as on of my favorite albums by Rob Halford outside of Judas Priest. "Resurrection", "Night Fall", "Locked and Loaded" and "One You Love to Hate" all come to mind as standout tracks.

Temple of Blood wrote:
Nothing is more generic than those guitar riffs on that first FIGHT disc. Total beginner stuff crafted by Rob himself.

Complex guitar riffs don't a good song make. Actually, I quite like the simplistic riffs and songwriting of War of Words. The songs are heavy, catchy and fun, headbanging fodder. I'm not sure when metal became something that had to be complex to be good. It's not rocket science. It's rock and roll.

I also get tired of hearing people used the term "generic" for something they don't like. (And it's not just you ToB. I hear this term used a lot on discussion boards.) What exactly is "generic"? Wouldn't generic be used for any band that plays a style that isn't completely new? Ultimatum are generic because we play a style of metal that has been around for a couple decades? Temple of Blood are generic because they sound like any number of speed metal bands? Avenger of Blood are generic because they have a sound similar to Sodom and Kreator? Absolutely not! Listen to what you like and ignore the rest.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:06 am

I love the 'Resurrection' CD and still thinks it is a kick ass metal album.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40544

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 am

I love Resurrection. I remember hearing the title track one time prior to release and was blown away by it. I went out and bought it as a new release and was not disappointed in the least. Really good stuff. My favorite track is Silent Screams.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:39 am

'Resurrection' is sort of like........there's your classic meat and potatoes metal that kicks like it's supposed to..(Priest or Running Wild or Manilla Road or..you know)..and then there's the same stuff, except with an empty ring to it instead...sturm & drang, but not much really going on...that's what this album feels like to me..

Last edited by Orion Crystal Ice on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 am

manny wrote:
I love the 'Resurrection' CD and still thinks it is a kick ass metal album.

Same here. Loved it when I originally bought it brand new at Tower Records and still love it today.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

RESURRECTION is the best Judas Priest album that Judas Priest never made.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 am

ghost wrote:
It was much better than that what Priest were putting out at the same time.

If you're only focusing to the vocals and excluding the guitar work then I agree.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 am

ultmetal wrote:
I think Resurrection is fantastic, and it has little to do with hype. It's just a good album. I think it is indeed a masterpiece and ranks as on of my favorite albums by Rob Halford outside of Judas Priest. "Resurrection", "Night Fall", "Locked and Loaded" and "One You Love to Hate" all come to mind as standout tracks.

I hate "One you love to Hate" and aren't crazy about "Nightfall" either.

Quote :
Complex guitar riffs don't a good song make.

No one said they did. But heavy metal should have good riffs and this album has ones that are decent but not great. Iommi wrote simple riffs that were good. Priest did too. This album's were worse than those examples I just cited. But this whole album is FULL of them! Nothing interesting at all! No dual guitar stuff. There is soloing on the album but all of it is filler and nothing stands out.

I think it's so ridiculous that the argument gets framed as "you want all riffs to be complex". It's not like I tell everyone to throw away their BLACK SABBATH discs and only listen to MEKONG DELTA. I hate MEKONG DELTA's music. There is complex garbage and simple garbage.

Quote :
It's rock and roll.

No, it's heavy metal.

Quote :

I also get tired of hearing people used the term "generic" for something they don't like. (And it's not just you ToB. I hear

I'm not using it for something I don't like. I'm using it for something that has no outstanding individual stylistic attributes and could've been generated by a random number generator or any faceless amateur guitarist without an identity.

And I'm not saying the riffs on FIGHT were "bad". They just weren't great and they lacked identity and having a whole album full of that stuff makes for a really bland disc. They needed a real guitar player to write that stuff. Good guitar riffs are essential for good metal.

Quote :
Temple of Blood are generic because they sound like any number of speed metal bands?

No we don't. In the same ballpark but that's about it.

Quote :
Listen to what you like and ignore the rest.

I'm not sure what this statement has to do with anything or who you think isn't following it.

Last edited by Temple of Blood on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:27 am

Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 10:28 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
RESURRECTION is the best Judas Priest album that Judas Priest never made.
I'll drink to that! Resurrection by Halford 634442
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:09 am

Halford's "Resurrection" is on my short list of top albums of the decade. It's a cohesive and focused heavy metal album featuring great heavy metal songs. I love it. Frankly, when "Crucible" was released I was hoping for "Ressurection" part II. I was initially disappointed with the direction of their sophomore effort, but I like it more now. However, I still prefer "Resurrection".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 am

[quote="Temple of Blood"]
ultmetal wrote:

Quote :
It's rock and roll.

No, it's heavy metal.

It's all just a form of rock and roll.

Temple of Blood wrote:

heavy metal should have good riffs and this album has ones that are decent but not great. Iommi wrote simple riffs that were good. Priest did too. This album's were worse than those examples I just cited. But this whole album is FULL of them! Nothing interesting at all!

And who is to say the riffs are good, mediocre or bad? I know you don't believe that this is all opinion, but it is. I don't find that album to be "nothing interesting at all". As a matter of fact, I revisit that album regularly. The simplistic nature of the music, the hooks, etc. are all something I enjoy.

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I also get tired of hearing people used the term "generic" for something they don't like. (And it's not just you ToB. I hear

I'm not using it for something I don't like. I'm using it for something that has no outstanding individual stylistic attributes and could've been generated by a random number generator or any faceless amateur guitarist without an identity.

And I'm not saying the riffs on FIGHT were "bad". They just weren't great and they lacked identity and having a whole album full of that stuff makes for a really bland disc. They needed a real guitar player to write that stuff. Good guitar riffs are essential for good metal.

See, I don't think you know the difference between opinion and fact. You don't think the riffs are "good", therefor you think that the music is bland. I disagree with you. Does that make me wrong? I don't think so, thus my comment, "listen to what you like, ignore the rest."

Yes, you are using the term "generic" for something you don't like. You don't find anything interesting about Fight, so you say it's generic.

I've actually heard people call Ultimatum, Avenger of Blood and Temple of Blood "generic" on various boards, thus the reason I used them as examples. Obviously you don't think ToB is generic and you don't think you sound like every other 80's speed metal band, but others do. Obviously I don't think Ultimatum is generic or I wouldn't still be in this band after so many years. It's all opinions.

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Temple of Blood are generic because they sound like any number of speed metal bands?

No we don't. In the same ballpark but that's about it.

I agree. I said the same thing.

Temple of Blood wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Listen to what you like and ignore the rest.

I'm not sure what this statement has to do with anything or who you think isn't following it.

Just a general statement that I make quite a bit when it comes to opinions on music. I don't think you follow it. Unfortunately, you are known as one of the pickiest, most pompous, arrogant people on the board. In general, you chime in 10x more if you have something negative to say about a band or album, and usually it comes off as pompous. If I don't like a band, I might say so, but I consciously try not to be offensive about it. I don't pretend that the things that I like are superior to the music that others like. You come off as very offensive and rude about your opinion. Like it or not, that's how people see you. You come off as "music is about good songwriting and bad songwriting, good riffs and bad riffs. I know the difference and the rest of you don't." Basically, you come off as a pompous jerk. Whether you know it or not, it also affects how people view your band. Your attitude on the boards taints people's opinion of your band.

Forgive my candor and bluntness, but basically that's how I see it. (And now I'm the jerk!)

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 am

I like it. I think Crucible is better though.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:43 am

Resurrection by Halford 12087

Just kidding.

I might need to look into this album. Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:48 am

Rex wrote:
ditto. i also liked Fight's Small Deadly Space better than War of Words. the second albums just seem more creative. they were all great albums though.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 11:53 am

Rex wrote:

Same here, both good, but I think I like Crucible just a hair better. I like them both better than the Fight albums although they've grown on me as well over time.

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Meh, Resurrection is ahead of Crucible for me but both are great listens. Of course, i'm so easy I like what JP was doing at the time.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitimeThu Jan 21, 2010 12:04 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Meh, Resurrection is ahead of Crucible for me but both are great listens. Of course, i'm so easy I like what JP was doing at the time.

Cathedral Spires and Bullet Train are two outstanding songs from that period IMO. Would love to hear those two songs re-recorded with Halford behind the mic. Resurrection by Halford 604261

PostSubject: Re: Resurrection by Halford   Resurrection by Halford Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Resurrection by Halford
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: