Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...

Go down 
+24
7thSaviour
snooloui
Metallic Blaze
James B.
Addy
rattpoison
stevegarveyfan
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Cliffy
Schbopo
Lurideath
troublemagnet
Smindas
manny
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Thrasher73
scottmitchell74
kmorg
Temple of Blood
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Empty
PostSubject: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:12 pm

... don't you think this album is a bit too long?

They should've saved 3 of those songs for the UYI discs, which could've used some stronger tracks IMHO.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:15 pm

I think the UYI albums are too long, so 3 more there would def. be overkill.

I was never a huge fan of Appetite, save for the hits.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:19 pm

In my opinion, Appetite is set up just about perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:21 pm

kmorg wrote:
I think the UYI albums are too long, so 3 more there would def. be overkill.

But I am saying drop a bunch of the UYI tracks and make it just one disc with the 3 AfD tracks. Yeah, the UYI albums are WAYYYYY too long.

Quote :
I was never a huge fan of Appetite, save for the hits.

blasphemy!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
In my opinion, Appetite is set up just about perfectly.

I agree.Its one of those albums that is just about perfect from start to finish.The only song I cant really stand to hear anymore is Welcome to the Jungle because of radio overplay.But the rest just all fits nicely together.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Appetite for Destruction is perfect as is! UYI is full of filler...

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:37 pm

I never thought it was too long. Heh, i'm easy. I do agree UYI should have been pared down to one album.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:42 pm

Never been a fan of Axl Rose - I can't stand his voice, which is why I don't like the album. Plus, the freak that Axl is make me like the band even less. But, anyone, not a fan of Axl's "help, I am a dying cat that just got his balls stuck in a vice grip" singing style.

And I have this one pleanty of times, the album is the right length.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:52 pm

The album is great as it is.... How was anyone to know it would be as big a hit as it became.... suppose they cut 'Paradise City' and 'Sweet Child oMine...'
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 1:57 pm

I thought this was a thread about the 'Appetite For Flesh' EP by The Zombi.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
The album is great as it is.... How was anyone to know it would be as big a hit as it became.... suppose they cut 'Paradise City' and 'Sweet Child oMine...'

I'd listen to the album then. Those are the 2 songs I can't (and never could) stomach.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:06 pm

Appetite is fine the way it is. Besides, a few of the songs on UYI were written in the pre-Appetite days and left off already. I would guess that the tunes that ended up on Appetite were the strongest of the bunch at the time.

'November Rain' exists on bootlegs in various demo forms before they finally recorded it properly. 'Back Off B*tch' is another one that floated around as a demo way before the Illusion albums as well. I think there are a few more, but those 2 come to mind.

What 3 tunes did you have in mind, ToB?

EDIT: Now that I think of it, if memory serves, both 'November Rain' and 'Don't Cry' were written pre-Appetite, but both were left off at the time because the band (or was it the the record company?) didn't want any slow ballads on the album and both songs were too long anyway.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:26 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

I'd listen to the album then. Those are the 2 songs I can't (and never could) stomach.

Neither could I but those were the songs that got played to DEATH and made 'em a fortune.....

Gimme 'Mr.Brownstone' or 'Night Train'
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 2:58 pm

That whole album sucks in the worst way possible and the world would be a much better place if every shred of its' existence was erased from the planet. I would prefer the sound of my own head in a blender than to EVER have to endure Sweet Child one more time! Glorified wuss-rock pre-packaged for the mindless sheep of the world.

With that said, I have never liked this album very much....
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:

With that said, I have never liked this album very much....

I never would have known All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

If it weren't for that album, I might not have got hooked into heavy metal and thusly wouldn't be posting here. And if I wasn't posting here, it would make SpectreFate sad. All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_sad

Surely you wouldn't want that now, wouldya Saxy?

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Quote :
EDIT: Now that I think of it, if memory serves, both 'November Rain' and 'Don't Cry' were written pre-Appetite, but both were left off at the time because the band (or was it the the record company?) didn't want any slow ballads on the album and both songs were too long anyway.

It's hard to believe those songs were from the same time as AFD... they don't even have the same attitude as the other songs. I thougt they were from the time after they got huge along with Axl's big production state of mind.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm

I like 'Appetite' the way it is, an almost perfect debut.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

It's hard to believe those songs were from the same time as AFD... they don't even have the same attitude as the other songs. I thougt they were from the time after they got huge along with Axl's big production state of mind.

The demos are very raw comapared to what they would eventually become. I know at one point, I had 2 different versions of 'November Rain' on tapes. One was just piano & Axl singing and I think the other might have been piano with some acoustic guitar.

You can probably find them here.

http://onlybootleghere.blogspot.com/2009/03/guns-n-roses-1985-1994-rarities-4cd-set.html

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm

I think Appetite is probably just as close to perfect as an album can be. The only minor dip IMO is 'Think About You' and even that's a good track.

I always loved the UYI albums, but they were effectively an exercise in self-indulgence and often the mish-mash of styles was a bit flawed. Still, I think most the songs are pretty strong overall, I just don't think either one makes as cohesive an overall record as Appetite does.

As for the pre-Appetite songs that made UYI, I remember reading that Axl wanted to hone 'November Rain' to perfection. He wanted it to be the grandoise affair that it eventually became and it just wasn't at that stage by the time they were doing Appetite. It also just wouldn't have fit the album. 'Back Off smurfette' got demoed pre-Appetite as already mentioned, and I think I'm right in saying that 'Bad Obsession' was as well (with just Izzy and a slide guitar, if I remember right). 'The Garden' and 'Don't Cry' were also pre-Appetite. I'm pretty sure all of these appeared on the bootleg Rumbo Tapes, which was just a bunch of early demos. There's a few cool clips on Youtube of a very young GN'R doing 'Don't Cry' and the like live at bars. I think 'Back Off smurfette' and 'Bad Obsession' would've fit Appetite well, but the other two not so much.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 4:45 pm

They also used to cover 'Knockin on Heaven's Door' back in the club days long before they recorded it for UYI. It was usually dedicated to friend of the band and then-bassist of Jetboy Todd Crew who overdosed and died.

Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

One In A Million is their only good song.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 6:47 pm

I agree with you John. This album is horrendous. Its one of the biggest selling albums ever, and all the mindless sheep went ape smurf poo for it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I wonder if Kreator made it big their fans would be mindless sheep.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Not a big GnR fan. Mr. Brownstone, Welcome To The Jungle and Civil War are the only songs I really like.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...   All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All the songs on "Appetite" are great but ...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next