Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Local metal legends?

Go down 
+20
TheGooch
Required Fields
SAHB Healer
Witchfinder
GrandNational
Shiney
krokus
mc666
Temple of Blood
caniplaywithmadness?
Todd Jaymz
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Thrasher73
kmorg
sovdat
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Local metal legends? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 6:25 am

Necrophagia, I believe. I live in Ohio and it says they were founded in Ohio on Wikipedia.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 8:28 am

mc666 wrote:
not from the area i currently live, however i was born in Lodi, NJ in 1978. the Misfits came from there in 1977. humble

Haha, I grew up in Paramus, right up the road from Lodi. You got the Misfits, all we got was Trixter. I wuz robbed!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 1:43 pm

Def Leppard: Say what you will, I think they're okay (particularly their first three albums)

Saxon: A lot of the members still live around here.

Bruce Dickinson: Possibly Samson, but I've never found any info as to where the band were from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 2:03 pm

In the mid-80's I got to see my local heros--TROUBLE--quite a few times.
Absolutely love their first 3!!
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 2:21 pm

sovdat wrote:
Is / was there any at least a bit famous metal act from your neighbourhood / city / region?

I guess that I can take my whole county for my neighbourhood, as
everyone knows everyone and stuff, but sadly we never had a really
known metal act. Perhaps Pomaranča (Orange), they were somehow known in
the Japan in mid 80s, and maybe Sarcasm - their first album semms to be
pretty popular among the underground thrash circles here in Europe.

INCREIBLE but i have a vinyl by a band from LJUBLJANA and with the name ORANGE. The titel of the lp is MADBRINGER and its from 1983. COOL!!!!
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 2:35 pm

Yeah, that's their second album - the first one was under the name
Pomaranča and with Slovenian lyrics (Pomaranča is Slovenian for Orange
... they got the name from that movie ... ), and this is the first
international one Smile .
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 2:39 pm

sovdat wrote:
Yeah, that's their second album - the first one was under the name
Pomaranča and with Slovenian lyrics (Pomaranča is Slovenian for Orange
... they got the name from that movie ... ), and this is the first
international one Smile .

Thanks for the info brother.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 2:47 pm

The biggest known band to come from near where I am is probably Nickelback. lol! In fact, they are from a town very close to the small town where my grandma live. Apparently I am very distantly related to the singer. I'm not sure whether or not to be proud of that or embarrassed by it, but whatever.

As for metal, nothing really that big, to be honest. There is a black/death band called Axis of Advance from Edmonton, a city about 3 hours north of where I live, who tour Europe all the time, so I guess they are fairly well known, but nothing that most people would have heard of.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 3:27 pm

hmmmm...

KIX
FUNNY MONEY
WRATHCHILD AMERICA aka SOULS AT ZERO

are all from the baltimore area which is fairly close...

POISON were from around here...

non metal artists:

JEFFREY GAINES
THE BADLEES
BREAKING BENJAMIN
FUEL
BLOODHOUND GANG

are all from the area or within 2 hours of here...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 1:43 am

I'm from LA, there isn't much else that needs to be said. The list can go on forever.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 10:44 am

Maybe some band with rehearsal place 2 blocks away from your home? Smile
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Chastain
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 5:11 pm

Like Saxon 1500 I grew up in the same south Minneapolis neighborhood that spawned Husker Du, Replacements, and Soul Asylum. Unfortunately I really never cared much for the "Minneapolis" sound (Dave Pirner called it "really loud folk music"; and I agree.) I wish I had been into music when I was just a little younger, during the time when Crow, Gypsy (I like their first album anyway), and later Cain were around, but I never saw any of them. I think growing up in the middle of that folk-punk movement really made me into a devoted metal guy; as so many people that I knew felt like metal was just so uncool. I had to learn about it and seek it out on my own; since not very many of my friends listened to it.
Prince was born the same year as me, but he was in the northside neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 5:28 pm

Nope. No really well known metal bands from my province, even. A few local bands that maybe released one or two CDs/demos and then split up. No long lasting metal bands ever from here at all, that I know of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2007 6:13 pm

I should qualify what I said in the above post about Minneapolis bands, just for the sake of clarity. My point isn't that the pioneering bands from my area (Crow etc.) were more metallic than the later bands that were famous (Soul Asylum, etc.). They weren't, the later bands were actually much louder per se, especially when they started out as punk bands. They also played an occasional great metal song. The point I was trying to make is that the generation of bands that was ahead of my time were more to my personal liking than the ones of my generation. Cain was actually about as metallic as anybody around though in 1974; but Gypsy was at best a prog band with a few riffs; and Crow (despite being covered by Black Sabbath) was really a loud soul act. I sorry I missed that era though, for what it's worth.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 6:02 am

if live in the larges arable farming area in england
which is in the second LARGEST county in england
which is the Least populated country in England

so no there aint no famous metal bands from around here

it is all field and tractors lol!lol!
Back to top Go down
AchrisK
Metal master
Metal master
AchrisK

Number of posts : 975

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 am

Atrophy are from Tucson, where I am.

I went to college the same time that the guitarist Rick did (his first time, before the band got big) and was in a class with him. And we both got hired at Raytheon last year and had the same day of orientation, and then we sat in cubicals next to each other for a while, but then I moved.

Also Dover Trench, but I have had no personal contact with them.

Paul and Linda McCartney lived here. Not sure if he still does.

Up the road in Phoenix is the home of Sacred Reich and Flotsam and Jetsam and Alice Cooper.

ack
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 11:10 am

AchrisK wrote:

Up the road in Phoenix is the home of Sacred Reich and Flotsam and Jetsam and Alice Cooper.

ack

Doesn't Rob Halford live in Phoenix too, at least part time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 6:29 pm

Required Fields wrote:
Nope. No really well known metal bands from my province, even. A few local bands that maybe released one or two CDs/demos and then split up. No long lasting metal bands ever from here at all, that I know of.
What province are you from?
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 pm

Closest would be Sinikil, if you are talking my hometown. Now, if you are talking Nebraska in general, 311 was pretty big in the 90's. Now, Cellador is from Nebraska, and Dirtfedd just got signed.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2007 12:53 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:
not from the area i currently live, however i was born in Lodi, NJ in 1978. the Misfits came from there in 1977. humble

Haha, I grew up in Paramus, right up the road from Lodi. You got the Misfits, all we got was Trixter. I wuz robbed!!!
do you still live there?

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 11:31 am

The Artch thread inspired me to find this one again....

Close to me I have alot of bands. The closest being Obituary who are just about 15-20 minutes down Hwy 60 in Brandon. I am an "acquaintance" of Ben Meyer from Nasty Savage, and most of those guys live close. Morbid Angel (I'm pretty sure Trey Azagthoth is still in the Tampa area), Monstrosity, Deicide, alot of the old death bands.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 1:43 pm

Being from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area I can definatly sas Pantera. My step-sister used to say she hung out with them before they became big. Also even though he is origionally from Europe, King Diamond lives in Dallas (or he used to).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 1:46 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Philadelphia? The Hooters. Remember them? LOL!

When I was in college, DIRTY LOOKS were a big local band (Rochester, NY) and had just signed with Atlantic Records. I bought their In Your Face tape.

I just recently ran into a sound engineer that does some freelance work for us. He just came back from Europe working with The Hooters. Who knew they were still around and touring?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 26, 2007 1:47 pm

I'd like to do some work with the hooters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local metal legends?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next