Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Take Back The Horns- campaign

Go down 
+7
Eyesore
manny
Stender
sheets
Lurideath
Orion Crystal Ice
kmorg
11 posters
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Take Back The Horns- campaign Empty
PostSubject: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 12:54 pm

Heavy Metal Icon Dee Snider Launches Takebackthehorns.com

Motivated by what he calls, the 'systematic abuse' of the metal horns, heavy metal icon and front man for the legendary Twisted Sister, Dee Snider has launched a web site dedicated to the reclamation of our iconic heavy metal symbol, www.Takebackthehorns.com

"The rampant misuse and overuse of the metal horns is an insult to true fans of the music form it represents," says Dee, "They were never intended to be thrown by members of the hip hop, country and pop communities. We fought long and hard for the music we love to be recognized. They have no right to use our sign!" 

While absolutely recognizing the humor in the situation, Takebackthehorns.com is dedicated to not only raise awareness of this abuse, but the site has been designed to inform and educate the reader on the history and proper use of the metal horns. Dee Snider hopes it will unify the massive, heavy metal community in the fight to stop the metal horns' further exploitation and degradation. Says Dee, "I appreciate the appeal of throwing the horns and even acknowledge that its overuse shows just how far the acceptance of heavy metal has come as a music form. But when little Johnny throws the horns to his mom because he’s successfully made a number two, things have gone way too far."

Takebackthehorns.com also contains a section for visitors to post photos of abusers of the horns and an interactive "Metal or Not" rating system to help define and decide the proper usage of the iconic symbol. 

Dee goes on to say, "In the 80’s I went to Washington, DC to defend heavy metal and fight censorship. Now it’s time for me to defend the music I love again and fight a very different enemy. I need headbangers the world over to join me in this important fight. Let’s say to the purveyors of other music forms, the usurpers of our mark...get your own damn sign bee-otch! Let’s take back the horns...dot com!"

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: only an emoticon will suffice   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm

Take Back The Horns- campaign 170371
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Yeah he did a huge rant on this when he was here in Vegas singing with Monster Circus! The best speech I've ever heard him do. It was funny, but it was truth!
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 1:57 pm

The Onion article that helped inspire this site is also very funny:

Metal Council Convenes To Discuss 'Metal Hand Sign' Abuse
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Metal-or-not rating system...haha.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Finally a cause I can throw my support behind
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 2:24 pm

The horns are lost for good, I'm afraid. Not too many people throwing up the claws, though.

Please visit claimingtheclaw.com and show your support.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 am

The "horns" are for sheep anyways. Always have been. Looking at the crowds, it always reminded me of the nazi's "sieg heil"-ing [not comparing metal fans to the SS, so don't go there. Just the motions-in-unison aspect.]. RJD is the only person that has ever been actually cool doing it. So let unoriginal pop culture keep it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 am

Kudos to Dee for trying to have some fun with this, but who cares really? So it's not evil anymore and accepted by the general public. Noone truly evil would throw the horns anyway, would they?

Take Back The Horns- campaign Bushhand-726061

I stand corrected. Take Back The Horns- campaign 778825

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:00 am

I'm not really one to put a whole lot of effort into the argument about it, but I must admit it does kinda annoy me when emo/screamo bands, Hollywood icons, or pop culture icons throw the horns. It's just more evidence on how clueless they are about some things.

They'll do the horns, but then if you let them listen to some real metal, they tread it underfoot, so to speak, or at the very best, put it at the same level as trendy stuff. Therefore, never cast your pearls before swine.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:43 am

imagine patent this for heavy metal purposes only. that would be cool. jaja Take Back The Horns- campaign 170371
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 12:44 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Kudos to Dee for trying to have some fun with this, but who cares really? So it's not evil anymore and accepted by the general public. Noone truly evil would throw the horns anyway, would they?

Take Back The Horns- campaign Bushhand-726061

I stand corrected. Take Back The Horns- campaign 778825
I think DIO should run gfor presindent. JAJA. IS IT TRUE THAT DIO PATENTED ORANGE JUICE? OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?
Back to top Go down
ohwellmonkey
Metal student
Metal student
ohwellmonkey

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 1:59 am

This really funny. I winder if that is why he's doing it.
Kinda tongue and cheek, like his humor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Take Back The Horns- campaign   Take Back The Horns- campaign Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Take Back The Horns- campaign
Page 1 of 1