Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...

Go down 
+13
mc666
MetallicSeminarian
Gilbert
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
Eyesore
Runicen
Required Fields
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Thrasher73
corplhicks
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Empty
PostSubject: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 1:59 am

...and it's nuts. 150,000

Cue the anti-crowdfunding rhetoric.

I kind of get Jeff's idea here. He's always been, in my book, the epitome poster-child for the struggling artist. Hell, it's a wonder he's been able to put out music at all. But these are some mad shit packages of near-comic proportions here. Dude is actually giving away his 2012 custom Camaro. The prices are through the roof, though, and I'll be shocked if they actually reach their goal of 150k.

Check it out here and a penny for your thoughts (or 3,700 CAD for Skype lessons with Jeff):

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/annihilator#/

My favorite, for $6,500 CAD:

"Come on out to Dunrobin, Ontario, to Jeff’s home and studio! Spend 2 days/1 night with him & jam in his studio, get some lessons, go for a bike ride with him… or simply just hang out!"

That bike ride would be the goddamn thrill of a lifetime. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 3:24 am

Maybe I can get people to pay to hang out with me! Haha! This is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 6:17 am

corplhicks wrote:

Check it out here and a penny for your thoughts (or 3,700 CAD for Skype lessons with Jeff):

It's not really just Skype lessons though. He is chipping in a guitar and free concert tickets for life so people have a choice I guess. He also says that putting his car up as part of the deal is more for publicity and to get people talking (It worked, we are!) than thinking people are going to go for it. The 150,000 target is flexible so tbh he's probably much more realistic.

At least this is genuine crowdfunding and not 'Pre order my already funded album for twice the price that it will be in the shops' bullshit that has taken over in the last couple of years.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 12:21 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

It's not really just Skype lessons though. He is chipping in a guitar and free concert tickets for life so people have a choice I guess. He also says that putting his car up as part of the deal is more for publicity and to get people talking (It worked, we are!) than thinking people are going to go for it. The 150,000 target is flexible so tbh he's probably much more realistic.

At least this is genuine crowdfunding and not 'Pre order my already funded album for twice the price that it will be in the shops' bullshit that has taken over in the last couple of years.

All good points. I totally missed the rest of that Skype package, and the blurb about how they don't expect to give away the car.

The packages still seem rather pricey (or I'm just that poor thus my perspective is skewed haha), but like I said my heart goes out to Jeff and all his uphill battles. Dude is resilient.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 1:25 pm

More evidence that rock is dead (or at least, dying quickly).
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 1:31 pm

Wow, that is quite absurd.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 1:45 pm

It actually looks like fair value for money as you get into the higher brackets (that hangout includes two guitars and an amp, for example, and people pay far more for far less interesting vacations).

Where it loses me is that there's no actual "product" here. I can get it if they're without a label and want to crowd fund a CD or DVD release - but this is to PREP for work on a DVD and you don't actually get the DVD when it's done. You have to buy that on its own.

And, for however decent the bigger packages seem to be, spending $33 for two guitar picks and a signed postcard is pretty silly stuff.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 1:51 pm

Runicen wrote:

Where it loses me is that there's no actual "product" here.  I can get it if they're without a label and want to crowd fund a CD or DVD release - but this is to PREP for work on a DVD and you don't actually get the DVD when it's done.  You have to buy that on its own.  

And, for however decent the bigger packages seem to be, spending $33 for two guitar picks and a signed postcard is pretty silly stuff.

I've been trying to figure out why this seems so crazy to me but I think you nailed it. They're raising money for...what, exactly? Prep work for a DVD seems like a red herring.

He may as well say, "send us money and you'll get this thing in a briefcase! And it GLOWS!" Laughing
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 3:30 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
More evidence that rock is dead (or at least, dying quickly).

Nope. More evidence that fans are assholes and bands are trying to keep "rock" alive.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Maybe he'll use the funds to acquire a good vocalist.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 3:37 pm

corplhicks wrote:

He may as well say, "send us money and you'll get this thing in a briefcase! And it GLOWS!" Laughing

Still not as absurd as "Pay our legal fees Buy a share in Queensryche for $50,000!!' lol!

The one that gets me was Watch a livestream of us rehearse for an hour for 120 CD!!!!!! er, how's about no!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 4:23 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

^^ What he said. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2016 11:02 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

^^ What he said. Laughing very hard

The band definitely needs a good singer.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 12:42 am

I'm...kinda not seeing things the same way here. Both Dave and Jeff have fine voices...?
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 8:04 am

I thought both were good vocalists. Dave started out too screamo but got better with each release and Jeff always did an admirable job from the albums I heard. I have yet to get the most recent release.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 8:52 am

corplhicks wrote:
I'm...kinda not seeing things the same way here. Both Dave and Jeff have fine voices...?

Dave Padden isn't in the band anymore and Jeff's vocals are average at best.  They need an upgrade.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 9:19 am

I would love to see Coburn Pharr return.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 10:26 am

Last album wasn't bad, but Jeff's vox are the weak link, as someone else stated. I wish Dave would come back.

corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 11:34 am

007 wrote:
I thought both were good vocalists. Dave started out too screamo but got better with each release and Jeff always did an admirable job from the albums I heard. I have yet to get the most recent release.

Yeah this is how I've felt. Jeff did a pretty solid job on the last album delivering all the anger and snarl. He's no Coburn or Rampage, but then again I don't ask for a lot when it comes to thrash vox.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 12:52 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Dave Padden isn't in the band anymore and Jeff's vocals are average at best.  They need an upgrade.

True.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 2:44 pm

I thought Joe Comeau did a good job

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 2:57 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Me too.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2016 4:15 pm

The lack of a consistent lead vocalist coupled with less-than-dynamic songwriting has been the key factors in me not being able to fully embrace this band. The 4 or 5 albums I have are plenty.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 2:46 am

$130 for rehearsal live stream is steep... make it $10-20 and you can get a lot more kids interested in watching it
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

He did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...   Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Annihilator has a new crowdfunding campaign...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next