Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slipknot

Go down 
+21
Mglaffas81
MetalGuy71
TheGame2k2
ramreb
Gilbert
DeathCult
tohostudios
Lurideath
XYZ
Wargod
Metallic Blaze
Stender
Schbopo
manny
ohwellmonkey
Ben Grimm
James B.
ultmetal
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
BrokenCYDE
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:35 pm

manny, grunge is a legitamate genre. It's a mixture of metal and alternative and later it morphed into nu metal.

Anyway ... feel free to see it differently than me. But also know that I am not alone. Most agree.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Neither one of these bands are actually and truly 'metal'.

They both have elements of metal in their music.

But Slipknot is nu metal - and Alice in Chains is grunge.

So bands can't be more than one genre? At what point does something cease to be grunge and become metal? Personally, I think Alice In Chains would qualify as metal. Yes, they had angsty lyrics, wore plaid and were from Seattle, but that's really where the grunginess ends. Slipknot, although I'm not a fan, don't fall into the cesspool of "nu metal", as they avoid most of the defining features of that genre; mainly the pseudo-rap qualities. Still, even nu metal is a form of metal, like it or not. To be honest, I really don't get what makes something 'nu metal', considering the two leaders of it, Korn and Limp Bizcrap had nothing AT ALL in common.

Oh but Korn and Limp Biscuit do have something in common. It's called 'alternative rock'. That's the main fiber of nu metal. Nu metal isn't necessarily nu metal because of rap. It's new metal because of the mixture of alternative and metal. So yes, it has metal in it. But most metalheads don't consider it true metal, because it's been 'tainted'. Personally, I like a lot of alternative stuff. There's nothing to be ashamed of.

Ever heard the expression "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"?

Call it what you want, anything going "WOOOOAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!" in the vocal department is a sow's ear IMO.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:37 pm

LOL Toho.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:38 pm

It simplifies my musical world.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:32 pm

there is only two (2) genres actually...stuff I dig and stuff that I don't

Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:36 pm

James B. wrote:

Marry me please. Slipknot - Page 2 253444
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Schbopo wrote:
James B. wrote:

Marry me please. Slipknot - Page 2 253444

I think my wife would kick your @$$ over that !

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:15 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Put a guy with a guitar in a clown mask in a trash can along with a cat, then roll it down a hill. Theres slipknot.

that is by far the funniest thing I've read today. Slipknot - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:21 pm

James B. wrote:

I can dig that man!

Slipknot - Page 2 778825
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 am

tohostudios wrote:

In my simplistic world, catgorization is really easy. Any band that has vocals that sound like "WOOOOAAAAAARRRRGGGGH" all fall into the same category: "CRAP".

This is why Toho and I get along so well. Slipknot - Page 2 778825

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 4:17 am

DeathCult wrote:
Put a guy with a guitar in a clown mask in a trash can along with a cat, then roll it down a hill. Theres slipknot.

AMEN Slipknot - Page 2 201269
Back to top Go down
ramreb
Metal novice
Metal novice
ramreb

Number of posts : 40

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 12:47 am

Quote :
Influences and style

Slipknot - Page 2 166px-Sid_Wilson_%26_Shawn_Crahan_2005Slipknot - Page 2 Magnify-clip

Sid Wilson and Shawn Crahan at a concert in Wisconsin in 2005.

The band have stated that their primary influences include Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Slayer, Judas Priest, Korn, AC/DC, Kiss and Beastie Boys.[84][85][86][87] Death metal, black metal and heavy metal have been mentioned as a key influence on the band's musical direction alongside nu metal, the category the band is generally listed as.[88][89][90][91] They have also stated that they are influenced by industrial bands like Head of David, Godflesh and Skinny Puppy as well as Neurosis and jungle music like Roni Size.[92][93]
Slipknot are seen as pioneers of the New Wave of American Heavy Metal developing a lean and aggressive brand of metal formed from thrash, metalcore and death metal. In this they can be compared with groups such as Pantera, Machine Head, Biohazard, Life of Agony, and Prong and are known for often chaotic and energetic live shows.[94][95][96] The extreme performance style provided by their large line-up featuring a typical heavily down-tuned
guitar set-up (lead, rhythm, and bass guitars), two percussionists in
addition to the primary drummer, and electronics (samplers and
turntables).[97] Robert Cherry of Rolling Stone compared the band's sound to "a threshing machine devouring a military drum corps".[50]
Their early work hosted a diverse range of vocal styles, ranging from rapping to occasional singing to growled vocals.[97] In more recent work, this vocal style remains present, but now includes more melodic singing.[49] The lyrics generally follow a very aggressive tone and feature themes such as darkness, nihilism, anger, disaffection, love, misanthropy and psychosis.[13][49] Rick Anderson of Allmusic regards the group's lyrics as "not generally quotable on a family website".[27]
There has been controversy surrounding Slipknot's lyrics, including a
case in which a pair of young killers blamed the lyrics from the song
"Disasterpiece" for their vicious crime[98] and a case in 2006 in which lyrics from the song "Surfacing" were found at the site of a grave robbing.[99]
Back to top Go down
TheGame2k2
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheGame2k2

Number of posts : 56

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:30 pm

I've listened to a couple of Slipknots songs and just didn't like their sound at all.
Back to top Go down
http://TheGame2k2.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:40 pm

This band is like Soulfly to me.

I can't figure out why I don't like them - but I don't.

They both just sound like noise to my ears.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Quote :
They [Slipknot] just sound like noise to my ears.

I've listened to a few songs and some are ok, but mostly what I've heard is chaotic noise to me as well. Especially when I saw live footage of them in concert. Too much going on.

I wonder if at some point further down the road when their popularity slumps, if they'll ditch the masks like KISS did with the make-up? Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:40 pm

HERE'S THE GIST

There's nothing "extreme" or overly heavy about SlipKnot - Just because you tune your guitar as low as possible, shout your vocal chords out and dress up like teenage slasher emo's does not make you "extreme". I am sorry. Anyone can sound like that. It's about writing a good, heavy riff, not relying on low tuning just because you can't write a song. Maybe they can, but they just don't show it. If you actually listen to the guitar playing on most of their songs, and any modern rock/metal band today for the matter, there really is nothing there, riff-wise. It just saddens me how so many songs have great potential, but bore me to death after the first two minutes because of lazy, boring music. One example of this is "What If" by Creed - AWESOME start, awesome, damn catchy vocals, everything - NO solo.....just a boring break. I will admit that SlipKnot's music has gotten a bit better in recent years, but still nothing spectacular. SlipKnot is a gimmick band for stupid, immature teens. There, I said it. At least it is, if you're one of those people who have no musical knowledge, ans lable something "extreme" or "psycho" just because the guitars are detuned and the vocalist's screaming like mad - If you want mind-blowing Heavy Metal - Listen to something like Painkiller or Scream Machine - Now THAT'S heavy!!
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:51 pm

Quote :
SlipKnot is a gimmick band for stupid, immature teens. There, I said it.

My son is 16 and making A's in Honors Biology, US History & Algebra II and he loves Slipknot...his 4 favorite bands are:

Slipknot
Iced Earth
H.I.M.
Metallica
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

My son is 16 and making A's in Honors Biology, US History & Algebra II and he loves Slipknot...

Oooooh... BURRRRRN!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:57 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

My son is 16 and making A's in Honors Biology, US History & Algebra II and he loves Slipknot...

Oooooh... BURRRRRN!

BLAH, all right, I will re-phrase - The people who actually think their badass psycho's, ranting, "Oh, their so brutal, they beat each other up on stage, did you know one of the guys have a body in their back yard?" - I just don't see how you can like Iced Earth and HIM at the same time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I have the same feelings towards HIM.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:59 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

Oooooh... BURRRRRN!

BLAH, all right, I will re-phrase - The people who actually think their badass psycho's, ranting, "Oh, their so brutal, they beat each other up on stage, did you know one of the guys have a body in their back yard?" - I just don't see how you can like Iced Earth and HIM at the same time. Not that there's anything wrong with that, though I have the same feelings towards HIM.

I like both H.I.M. and Slipknot, it is not that much of stretch, most folks including yourself listen to a huge variety of music both metal and non metal.
Back to top Go down

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:36 pm

H.I.M. is a very melodic band...dark & melodic...good stuff.

Slipknot I've already commented on.

It's all about variety...he likes each band for a different reason...they each fill a certain spot in his tastes perfectly...
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
H.I.M. is a very melodic band...dark & melodic...good stuff.

Slipknot I've already commented on.

It's all about variety...he likes each band for a different reason...they each fill a certain spot in his tastes perfectly...

I can totally understand that.

I'm a HUGE metal fan. Probably one of the biggest power metal people you will ever meet.

However, to be honest with my own tastes - I also like HIM, Depeche Mode, U2 and The Cure. They are all some of my favorite bands.

So yes, that makes complete sense to me.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:13 pm

My collection includes both Slipknot, H.I.M., Depeche Mode, Madonna, Morbid Angel, The Doors, The Cure, Nirvana and on and on and on....
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:15 pm

manny wrote:
My collection includes both Slipknot, H.I.M., Depeche Mode, Madonna, Morbid Angel, The Doors, The Cure, Nirvana and on and on and on....

Sounds just like me (minus the Slipknot, and add Korn)!

Slipknot - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:51 pm

I am fortunate.... the only Slipknot song I've heard is a clip of a Joey (the drummer) solo on Youtube cause this kid I give lessons to says he is good.

Not my cup of tea, but I can see from the various descripts given how they may be enticing to some folks ? It would be interesting to check em out onstage perhaps, cause I do lke to be entertained. But like the other old dudes round here.....I hate loud down tuned feedback and cookie monster vocals. I do like Lemmy, Slayer. and Venom cause they were kinda/sorta doin that years ago when I wasn't so particular in my tastes in music.

Slipknot - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slipknot   Slipknot - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slipknot
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next