Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lacuna Coil

Go down 
+15
Joe
ultmetal
Gilbert
Orion Crystal Ice
Eyesore
Addy
MetalRob331
Troublezone
mc666
manny
DallasBlack
Svengo
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 pm

I think Janice Joplin was unattractive but man she could sing...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I could never get into bands like this because i just don't care for the female vocals much and they always seemed to be gimmicky.
Their record sales always seemed to depend on how many guys were drooling over the singer. It's like (Tiger Beat) for metal guys.

I don't totally agree with this viewpoint, while I very happy to state that I think Lacuna Coil's vocalist is hot, that alone would not motivate me to buy a CD. I have to like the music, I am after all buying music not a poster.

If I only bought or liked a female artists based only on looks then I would be the proud owner of the entire Pu$$ycat Dolls discography, but while I enjoy looking at the Kitty Cat Babes, their music sucks.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:22 pm

I like Lacuna Coil I think Comalies was a solid album, and I loved their Depeche Mode cover on Karmacode
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:24 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I could never get into bands like this because i just don't care for the female vocals much and they always seemed to be gimmicky.
Their record sales always seemed to depend on how many guys were drooling over the singer. It's like (Tiger Beat) for metal guys.

I don't totally agree with this viewpoint, while I very happy to state that I think Lacuna Coil's vocalist is hot, that alone would not motivate me to buy a CD. I have to like the music, I am after all buying music not a poster.

If I only bought or liked a female artists based only on looks then I would be the proud owner of the entire Pu$$ycat Dolls discography, but while I enjoy looking at the Kitty Cat Babes, their music sucks.

I'm not saying they can't play, i just don't care for their music and i think her image gets them more coverage than what they're worth.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:27 pm

I think you are right about image, when it comes to Lacuna Coil, but lets face who you rather look at Cristina or that tool male singer? From a marketing viewpoint it makes sense to push her upfront than any of the other male band members.

I happen to like their songs and songwriting. Is Lacuna Coil original? Hell no but good, but if you and Metalrob think they are average that is valid opinion. We can't all like the same music and hear music in the same way.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
we enjoy the music and the vocals

Who's we? and it's just my opinion...

Those of us who listen to this music. I understand it's your opinion but I'm just tired of the same old rhetoric about this style of music.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:56 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Those of us who listen to this music. I understand it's your opinion but I'm just tired of the same old rhetoric about this style of music.

I'm tired of a lot of things too... and you're going to continue hearing things you don't want to hear because we all have different tastes in music. I do believe that i'm correct about the image thing though.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:13 am

manny wrote:
I think you are right about image, when it comes to Lacuna Coil, but lets face who you rather look at Cristina or that tool male singer? From a marketing viewpoint it makes sense to push her upfront than any of the other male band members.

I happen to like their songs and songwriting. Is Lacuna Coil original? Hell no but good, but if you and Metalrob think they are average that is valid opinion. We can't all like the same music and hear music in the same way.

Exactly, of course they have to make her the main spotlight of the band. When people think of LC they think of her no one else. If it is going to get them to sell a few more records then so be it.

Manny I am extremly picky when it comes to songwriting. It has to draw me in emotionally more then anything. Its hard for a band like LC to get that emotion out. Its hard to explain I guess...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 4:51 am

Quote :

Exactly, of course they have to make her the main spotlight of the band. When people think of LC they think of her no one else.

Same with No Doubt.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 10:29 am

Troublezone wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I'm tired of a lot of things too... and you're going to continue hearing things you don't want to hear because we all have different tastes in music. I do believe that i'm correct about the image thing though.

I understand all that but that doesn't mean I can't state my displeasure of it. I wasn't trying to cause trouble (so many people here always seem asume that about me) I'm just trying to give you an alternative reason for why people like those bands. And I can definatly tell you that what the women look like has absolutley no bearing on whether I like the music or not.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Wow, this thread really got side-tracked. For everyone's information - I started this thread to talk about the music of Lacuna Coil - not how hot the singer is.

Though I will admit that Cristina is pretty hot. She does well in concert too. Last time I saw them, she pretty much blew me away with her stage presence.

But back to the topic at hand ... for those of you who like this band, what are your favorite albums?

My favorite will probably always be "Unleashed Memories". That album defines why I love female fronted gothic metal.

I like all their albums though, to varying degrees:

1. Unleashed Memories 10/10 (a PERFECT album IMO)

2. Halflife
3. Comalies
4. Karmacode
5. Shallow Life
6. In a Reverie

How about you?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Unleashed Memories is my favorite LC album too.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Unleashed Memories is my favorite LC album too.

Lacuna Coil - Page 2 669452
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Sorry Metallic Blaze, didn't mean to highjack your theread. It's just that female fronted gothic/symphonic bands are a love/hate thing around here (same thing happened to my Nightwish thread a while back). I do remember enjoying In A Reverie several years ago (can't remember what happened to the CD though).
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 pm

No prob bro! I actually agree with you about female fronted bands. I wish people would stop just thinking it's 'all about looks'.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 6:59 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
No prob bro! I actually agree with you about female fronted bands. I wish people would stop just thinking it's 'all about looks'.

I know, but in their defence though, the bands do make the woman's looks a focal point of their band (but again all bands use one thing or another to suck people into their music-either through a gimmick, album artwork, controversy, or in this case a pretty woman).
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 7:02 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

I know, but in their defence though, the bands do make the woman's looks a focal point of their band (but again all bands use one thing or another to suck people into their music-either through a gimmick, album artwork, controversy, or in this case a pretty woman).

Agreed!

Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Halford
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 7:05 pm

The fact that I have since dumped this band proves that looks do not have any impact on why I do or do not like a band.

Hell, I like the Rolling Stones...is there an uglier band?

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:37 am

tohostudios wrote:
The fact that I have since dumped this band proves that looks do not have any impact on why I do or do not like a band.

Hell, I like the Rolling Stones...is there an uglier band?

Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 1:30 pm

I recently got LC's SHALLOW LIFE in a trade, been listening to it on and off for the past couple of days. Decent enough record I suppose. It's one of those discs that sounds fine as background noise while it's playing, but once it's over nothing is really 'sticking' if that makes any sense.

Other than the single "Spellbound" I can't say that there are any other tracks that are out-and-out grabbing me by the nards. So it's not a flop but it's not on par with COMALIES or KARMACODE (the other two LC discs I own) either. Hopefully it'll grow on me (and my nards) with further spins.

And before anybody points it out, yes, I like using the term "Nards." Nards nards nards.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 3:55 pm

I was a bit disappointed in "Shallow Life" when it first came out too. Took me about three spins to really click with it. Now I like it - but I agree, it's not one of their better albums.

"Unleashed Memories"
"Halflife EP"
and
"Comalies"

are the essentials from this band. The rest of their stuff is for hardcore fans (like me) only.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 23, 2009 8:04 pm

I've liked everything they've put out. I'm partial to the debut EP, mainly because that's the album that introduced me to them. I was a little underwhelmed when the follow-up came out, but I still dug it. They produced quality after that, though.

But Shallow Life fell a bit flat with me. Karmacode was a bit different, but there was life to it; it sounded like a band trying something new for the right reasons. Shallow Life sounds like a band going through the motions. Easily their worst, but still a decent outing.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:30 am

I was cranking "Comalies" tonight and I couldn't help but think how good they would sound if they had not abandoned this sound. This album and it's predecessor ("Unleashed Memories") really epitomize what I love about female fronted metal.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 3:23 am

Six-Pack Thunder Dong wrote:
I've liked everything they've put out. I'm partial to the debut EP, mainly because that's the album that introduced me to them. I was a little underwhelmed when the follow-up came out, but I still dug it. They produced quality after that, though.

But Shallow Life fell a bit flat with me. Karmacode was a bit different, but there was life to it; it sounded like a band trying something new for the right reasons. Shallow Life sounds like a band going through the motions. Easily their worst, but still a decent outing.
very much how i feel. this last album seemed pretty lifeless overall. a few decent tracks, but not up to par with previous outings.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2009 2:02 pm

I've been on a Lacuna Coil kick for the past couple of days. I was spinning "Karmacode" this morning.

I think I'm gonna blow the dust off "Shallow Life" and spin it next.

Sometimes it just takes some time for an album to fully grow on you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lacuna Coil
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next