Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lacuna Coil

Go down 
+15
Joe
ultmetal
Gilbert
Orion Crystal Ice
Eyesore
Addy
MetalRob331
Troublezone
mc666
manny
DallasBlack
Svengo
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
Metallic Blaze
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:41 pm

I know that most here probably don't feel the same as I do about this band, but does anyone here like Lacuna Coil?

I really like them and have for years. I do prefer their older stuff, but I still like their more recent output.

I've seen them live twice, and they always do well on stage.

Anyone a fan?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:44 pm

I really like their older material but with the release of Comalies, I think they morphed into a slightly heavier version of Evanescence.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:46 pm

I liked COMALIES and KARMACODE a lot. Haven't heard much from them other than those two.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm not really a big fan but I have recommended them to Evanescence fans as a better alternative.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 pm

Svengo wrote:
I'm not really a big fan but I have recommended them to Evanescence fans as a better alternative.

Reinforcing my opinion that Lacuna Coil has become a slightly heavier version of Evanescence.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:51 pm

The chick from Lacuna Coil is way hotter (and sings better) than the chick in Evanescence.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The chick from Lacuna Coil is way hotter (and sings better) than the chick in Evanescence.

Agreed.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Not sure about that, but they are both hot and have nice voices. I don't know, for some reason I just don't really care for this band, they just don't do much for me. I do like Evanescence though. Different strokes and all that jive.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 8:57 pm

I've always found it kinda odd that I like L.C. so much, actually, cuz they are SO not what I usually listen to. But I had a compilation CD a while back with that damned song "Heaven's A Lie" on there and it was so freakin' CATCHY that I ended up buying the whole "Comalies" CD.

I was afraid to even tell my brother (the black/death/grind guy of the family) about that purchase because I figured he'd rag on me, but when I mentioned it to him he laughed and said "Damn! I bought that CD a couple of weeks ago too! What is it about that band that crosses so many party lines?" Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:24 pm

I like both Lacuna Coil and Evanescence, both bands have great music and hot chicks who can actually sing. Not ground breaking both are great bands but I do slightly like Lacuna Coil a little bit more than Evanescence.

Of course all of us mentioning Lacuna Coil in the same breathe helps reinforce toho previous statement regarding Lacuna Coil morphing into a heavier version of Amy Lee's project.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've always found it kinda odd that I like L.C. so much, actually, cuz they are SO not what I usually listen to. But I had a compilation CD a while back with that damned song "Heaven's A Lie" on there and it was so freakin' CATCHY that I ended up buying the whole "Comalies" CD.

I was afraid to even tell my brother (the black/death/grind guy of the family) about that purchase because I figured he'd rag on me, but when I mentioned it to him he laughed and said "Damn! I bought that CD a couple of weeks ago too! What is it about that band that crosses so many party lines?" Lacuna Coil Lmao

Heaven Is A Lie is a great song and they do have good songs but on whole, the albums do nothing for me (kind of like Trivium).
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

Yeah, I guess you could compare the recent albums of Lacuna Coil to Evanescence, but it's a stretch.

Evanescence is WAY more alternative rock in their approach.

Lacuna Coil started out as a die-hard goth metal band, and to a great degree - they still are. I'd compare them more to Within Temptation than Evanescence. Just me I suppose.

Anyway ... I like Evanescence a little bit, but IMHO - Lacuna Coil OWNS them!!!

Anyway ... what does everyone think of the new Lacuna Coil album, "Shallow Life"?

I wasn't too wild about it at first - because it is a further journey into 'alternative' territory (like Evanescence), but after a while ... this thing really has grown on me. I cranked it today after giving it a few month's break, and it really grabbed me for some reason. I was rockin' to it!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:42 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I really like their older material but with the release of Comalies, I think they morphed into a slightly heavier version of Evanescence.

I thought you liked Evanescence though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:23 am

i like them (Evanescence too), & agree with Toho about them doing a heavier version of Amy Lee's band these days. it's all good though.

i only wish that if the guy was not going to growl/scream any more that he'd just shut the hell up. he has the worst singing voice. it's truly is horrid. Scabbia has to carry him. which she does very well i might add.

Shallow Life is a good album, although that "I Like It" song is the dumbest thing they've ever recorded... lyrically & musically. i always skip it.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:41 am

mc666 wrote:
i like them (Evanescence too), & agree with Toho about them doing a heavier version of Amy Lee's band these days. it's all good though.

i only wish that if the guy was not going to growl/scream any more that he'd just shut the hell up. he has the worst singing voice. it's truly is horrid. Scabbia has to carry him. which she does very well i might add.

Shallow Life is a good album, although that "I Like It" song is the dumbest thing they've ever recorded... lyrically & musically. i always skip it.

I agree, "I Like It" is probably the worst song they ever recorded!

Lacuna Coil Lol

And about Andrea Ferro's vocals - I used to feel the exact same way! I always wished he would at least sing a lot less. And you're right Cristina does a good job of carrying him. However, I must confess that lately I've kinda warmed up to his singing. I feel that he fits the band well now. Especially in the sense that he gives them something different. Most bands in this genre have a growling/feminine combo. This clean male voice really sets them apart.

But alas, I used to feel much the same way.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 2:51 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
mc666 wrote:

I agree, "I Like It" is probably the worst song they ever recorded!

Lacuna Coil Lol

And about Andrea Ferro's vocals - I used to feel the exact same way! I always wished he would at least sing a lot less. And you're right Cristina does a good job of carrying him. However, I must confess that lately I've kinda warmed up to his singing. I feel that he fits the band well now. Especially in the sense that he gives them something different. Most bands in this genre have a growling/feminine combo. This clean male voice really sets them apart.

But alas, I used to feel much the same way.
clean male vocals may indeed set them apart. i just feel that the guy they have doing it is holding them back. realistically, they would fair better having Scabbia do all the vocals. the woman has the talent to keep the listener interested. they have no need for the male counterpart, if they do not wish to introduce aggression. which his growl vox certainly did. his clean "singing" however, does not. it simply dulls any melody which both the music & Scabbia are able to conjour.

true, i have gotten used to him as well. however, i still find him to be the weakest link.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:54 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean and agree. He is the weakest link.

When he growled like on "Unleashed Memories", it did make for a all round much better album. Heck, that's actually my favorite Lacuna Coil album to this day.

The biggest problem is the guy doing the singing (Andrea) actually started the band with Cristina. Way back when. He's a founding member. The band is actually his and Cristina's. So ... I doubt he'll stop singing anytime soon.

By the way, did you know that he and Cristina used to be a couple? They broke up and decided to remain friends (as to not ruin Lacuna Coil). But when the band first started and a few years in - they were almost married at one point. LOL.

Kinda weird huh?

I also wish they would get a different singer. They would be much better for it!

I still really like them though, but they aren't nowhere near as great as say Within Temptation is ... and I think you're right - it's the male vocals that are holding them back.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:33 pm

As far as good clean male voices in gothic/symphonic metal as apposed to the beauty and the beast vocals, there is Visions Of Atlantis. The male vocalist really stepped up his game on Trinity and is miles ahead of what it was in previous albums (probably got some vocal coaching). Maybe the Lacuna Coil guy just needs some good vocal lessons. Soem of the best singers in metal (i.e. Bruce Dickinson, Jorn Lande, Russel Allen, James LaBrie, Rob Rock, etc.) suggest taking lessons.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:26 pm

I've heard many good things about Visions of Atlantis. They seem to be right up my alley. I will add their stuff to my list of stuff to get.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:43 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
I've heard many good things about Visions of Atlantis. They seem to be right up my alley. I will add their stuff to my list of stuff to get.

I'd sugggest Trinity, it is the strongest one yet. Also they are scheduled to release a new album this year.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:55 pm

I could never get into bands like this because i just don't care for the female vocals much and they always seemed to be gimmicky.
Their record sales always seemed to depend on how many guys were drooling over the singer. It's like (Tiger Beat) for metal guys.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 9:53 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I could never get into bands like this because i just don't care for the female vocals much and they always seemed to be gimmicky.
Their record sales always seemed to depend on how many guys were drooling over the singer. It's like (Tiger Beat) for metal guys.

Sorry but that is getting to be a tired cliche. While the women are very attractive, we enjoy the music and the vocals. Unless your looking at the album sleeves, watching music videos, or watching a live performance the women's looks don't come into play when you're listening to the music. If the music was bland or the women couldn't sing we wouldn't be listening to them.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 pm

"Music is meant to be heard" thats the bottom line. In this world we live in now it seems its all about how someone looks to sell more records.

As far as Lacuna Coil goes Im not a big fan, I dont dislike them I just find there songwriting average.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:16 pm

Quote :
we enjoy the music and the vocals

Who's we? and it's just my opinion...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:17 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
"Music is meant to be heard" thats the bottom line. In this world we live in now it seems its all about how someone looks to sell more records.

As far as Lacuna Coil goes Im not a big fan, I dont dislike them I just find there songwriting average.

Finally we agree. Lacuna Coil Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lacuna Coil Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lacuna Coil   Lacuna Coil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lacuna Coil
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next