Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Defiance "The Prophecy"

Go down 
+14
scottmitchell74
T-Roy
exact33
stevegarveyfan
MetalFRO
Metallic Blaze
sam
Stender
Coma
ultmetal
mc666
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Defiance "The Prophecy" Empty
PostSubject: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 7:12 am

Defiance "The Prophecy" Defiance_prophecy

Not a huge fan but i'm interested to see what they came up with.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 10:01 am

I don't know who did this, but it looks like a Travis Smith piece. Talented guy, but his work/style is getting a little overexposed. And the Defiance logo just looked slapped on there with no rhyme or reason.

Well, despite my criticism of the cover art, I hope the music contained whitin is good. I like Defiance.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Looks like a poster for one of those cheap Italian-made zombie movies from the late 70s/early 80s.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:13 pm

i think it looks good. much better than the Product of Society cover anyway.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:20 pm

I like Defiance. Look forward to hearing what they can do.

Cover is cool too.

Metal student
Metal student
Coma

Number of posts : 128

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't know who did this, but it looks like a Travis Smith piece. Talented guy, but his work/style is getting a little overexposed. And the Defiance logo just looked slapped on there with no rhyme or reason.

Overexposed? What about Ed Repka? lol!

What's the big fuss with the logo? I don't see anything wrong with how it's placed. 98% of the bands will place their logo anywhere on the cover, just to make sure you know it's them. Who worries about that anyway? The logo could have been right in the middle, I don't think anyone would have cared, as long as it's there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://thethrashzone.byethost32.com/df-trade.html
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Looks freaken awesome!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:10 pm

Ah, not doing anything for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Coma wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Overexposed? What about Ed Repka? Defiance "The Prophecy" Lol

What's the big fuss with the logo? I don't see anything wrong with how it's placed. 98% of the bands will place their logo anywhere on the cover, just to make sure you know it's them. Who worries about that anyway? The logo could have been right in the middle, I don't think anyone would have cared, as long as it's there somewhere.

Eh, just commenting on my first impression when I saw it. Travis Smith seems to be the "go-to guy" these days for metal covers. Either that or his style is being immitated by other artists. Not saying its a good thing or a bad thing. It just is. You want dark & epic? Go see Travis. You want zombies making a political statement? Give Ed Repka a call. It is what it is.

As for the logo, it just seems to me that it was just slapped on as an afterthought. It's not incorporated into the cover-art in any way. It says to me that the band (or management or whoever makes those decisions) saw a painting they liked, bought the rights to it and put a logo sticker on there. Again, not a good thing or a bad thing. It just is what it is. It's just another approach to getting a cover printed. Had they hired an artist to do something custom, maybe the logo could have been incorporated into the artwork a little more. That's all I'm saying. I'm a graphic designer, so I have an eye for that sort of thing.

I know in this day and age of downloading, the cover is inconsequential, so yea, no matter where they slapped the logo, it won't mean a hill of beans to Required Fields when he illegally downloads the album.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:31 pm

Quote :
it won't mean a hill of beans to Required Fields when he illegally downloads the album.

Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 3:44 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I like Defiance. Look forward to hearing what they can do.

Cover is cool too.

My thoughts exactly.

It's a cool cover, but not as cool as some of their earlier works.

I look forward to a new album from them though.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Wow, I didn't realize they were actually still working on an album! I knew they had reformed a year or so ago, but I heard nary a peep out of them since then. Cool to know these old-school thrashers are still back at it! I like the art as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:58 am

I wish thrash metal bands would just stop with all the computer-generated crap and get back to the good ol' hand-painted gnarly covers. Seriously.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 11:19 am

stevegarveyfan wrote:
I wish thrash metal bands would just stop with all the computer-generated crap and get back to the good ol' hand-painted gnarly covers. Seriously.

Yes! I agree.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 11:22 am

At first glance it looks a little like the maiden cover of Brave New world with different colors...

T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 11:37 am

Cover art is cool. Logo looks like a piece of cheese slapped on the corner.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:28 pm

I think the logo looks fine. The orange & red in the logo go w/ the orange & red in the design, so it's not THAT bad. It's an old-school logo on a CGI design, what do you expect?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:31 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
I think the logo looks fine. .....so it's not THAT bad.
As an artist when I hear this kind of feedback....thats polite for FAILURE!!!! lol!

Not exactly the reaction I would be looking for on my new cd cover.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 12:39 pm

Well, that's certainly not how I was trying to come across Razz

It really isn't bad, per se, just the concept is very "also-ran", very much a been-there, done-that kind of thing. I don't see the issue w/ the logo, however. Doesn't make sense to me. Bands have slapped their logo on artwork for years, and it didn't always "make sense" or fit 100% with the artwork. Why should it be any different in 2009?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:13 pm

MetalFRO wrote:
Well, that's certainly not how I was trying to come across Razz

It really isn't bad, per se, just the concept is very "also-ran", very much a been-there, done-that kind of thing. I don't see the issue w/ the logo, however. Doesn't make sense to me. Bands have slapped their logo on artwork for years, and it didn't always "make sense" or fit 100% with the artwork. Why should it be any different in 2009?
Well I certainly agree on logos. But this one just really clashes to me for some reason. You've got a very futuristic almost new age/sci-fi looking piece with a rough, hand drawn logo on it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
MetalFRO wrote:
Well, that's certainly not how I was trying to come across Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_razz

Well I certainly agree on logos. But this one just really clashes to me for some reason. You've got a very futuristic almost new age/sci-fi looking piece with a rough, hand drawn logo on it.

I agree with ya there T-Roy. Aside from my previous post about it just being slapped on there haphazardly, they could have at least tried to clean-up the old logo somewhat and make it fit the rest of the artwork.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 2:54 pm

I like it well enough, but I agree I much prefer the hand drawn/painted classic covers.

Stormspell is great for those. Half the appeal of his product is the art.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:57 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
I like it well enough, but I agree I much prefer the hand drawn/painted classic covers.

Stormspell is great for those. Half the appeal of his product is the art.

definitly

it doesn't get better then stuff like this:

Defiance "The Prophecy" 4299fa571ba744c343d5fb34c0e
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 11:39 am

Anyone planning on picking this up? It comes out Nov.3.Interested to see how it sounds.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitimeSun Nov 01, 2009 10:30 pm

I'm only familiar with Void Terra Firma but it is one of my all time favoirte thrash albums so I'd be willing to give it a go. I agree about the cover, it's pretty good but the logo just seems a bit out of place
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defiance "The Prophecy"   Defiance "The Prophecy" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Defiance "The Prophecy"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next