Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Viking Metal

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 7:47 pm

Anyone like Viking Metal? Just started to hear some!

Wargod48

NP: Ensiferium - Victory Songs
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 9:09 pm

if you mean stuff like Enslaved or Unleashed, then yeah i love it. i never really called it viking metal though.

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 6:12 am

Mithotyn (now Falconer) would be my favourite band from the Viking Metal genre.

As for Enslaved, yes most people commonly brand them as a Black Metal band which is true but it's the lyrical content not the music that determine wheither bands are labeled Black Metal or (and) Viking Metal.

Unleased : well I've never seen them as anything more than a Death Metal band myself.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 7:21 am

Locky wrote:

As for Enslaved, yes most people commonly brand them as a Black Metal band which is true but it's the lyrical content not the music that determine wheither bands are labeled Black Metal or (and) Viking Metal.

Unleased : well I've never seen them as anything more than a Death Metal band myself.
but Unleasheds lyrics deal with viking lore & norse mythology. so by your standards, would that not make Unleashed viking metal as well, even though musicly they play death? also, what about a band like Bathory?

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 9:40 am

I LOVE Ensiferum! They combine many elements of metal I llike very nicely.

Don't know if Korpiklaani is Viking, but it's at least in that same vein. They are a fun listen...

I was just surfing youtube yesterday to find new Viking and Pagan bands to listen to. I love the folk/ancient elements in the music...

I had Eluveitie - Spirit - But it didn't quite do it for me...something was off and I couldn't place it. They were good, just no single song stood out for me.

I have Holy Blood and Finntroll on my LaLa want list as well, as what I've heard from them rocks.
Back to top Go down

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 11:47 am

mc666 wrote:
Locky wrote:

but Unleasheds lyrics deal with viking lore & norse mythology. so by your standards, would that not make Unleashed viking metal as well, even though musicly they play death? also, what about a band like Bathory?

Have to hold my hands up, I walked straight into that ! humble
Back to top Go down

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 3:55 pm

You need stuff by this band:

Týr - Regin Smiður
Týr - Hail To The Hammer
Týr - Ormurin Langi

Seriously. One of the best bands I've ever heard in a non-English language. The songs are ridiculously catchy, and you don't even notice it's not English. Crazy.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Viking Metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Viking Metal   Viking Metal Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 5:10 pm

Yeah I like a lot of Folk Metal stuff.

Skyforger
Manegarm
Moonsorrow
Ensiferum
Korpiklaani
Tyr
Finntroll
Turisas

and celtic bands like
Primordial
Mael Mordha