Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album

Go down 
+7
ultmetal
tohostudios
Temple of Blood
powermacho
manny
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Empty
PostSubject: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 9:56 am

DT is released an "offical bootleg" of covers (along with 3 other "official bootleg" covers.

Ytsejam Records, DREAM THEATER's official "bootleg" store, has made the following new titles available:

* "The Making of Falling Into Infinity" (1 CD) (details)
* "Train Of Thought Instrumental Demos 2003" (1 CD) (details)
* "Uncovered 2003-2005" (1 CD) (details)
* "Santiago, Chile 12/6/05" (1 DVD) (details)

I am most interested in the Covers album - look at the track listing!!!!SKU: YTSEJAM018
1. Death On Two Legs (Queen) 3:49
2. Heart Of The Sunrise (Yes) 10:29
3. Heaven And Hell (Black Sabbath) 6:19
4. Paradox (Kansas) 3:43
5. Mother Father (Journey) 5:32
6. Machine Messiah (Yes) 3:19
7. Since I’ve Been Loving You (Led Zepplin) 6:49
8. Diary Of A Madman (Ozzy Osbourne) 5:59
9. Cemetary Gates (Pantera) 8:19
10. Won’t Get Fooled Again (The Who) 10:06

Here's the link to order:

http://www.ytsejamrecords.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=35&idcategory=7

I have a some of the other ones (Master Of Puppets, The Number Of The Beast, The Making of SFAM - Alternate Mixes (I like Kevin Shirley's better) and Dark Side Of The Moon. I need to add this one to my collection!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:17 am

I'd love to hear the KANSAS cover...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37868

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 am

Sounds cool. I actually kinda like Dream Theater better as a cover band than I like their original stuff. Laughing They did a bang up version of "Cemetary Gates" on the first Gigantour DVD.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:20 am

I love that MP3 of Dream Theathre cover albums you sent me recently, listened to them a few times.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:31 am

manny wrote:
I love that MP3 of Dream Theathre cover albums you sent me recently, listened to them a few times.

Awesome - I was going to ask you about that!
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:52 am

I have seen some booklets from this band.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 11:55 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I actually kinda like Dream Theater better as a cover band than I like their original stuff.

I agree when it comes to their recent material.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:01 pm

Machine Messiah is a great choice for a cover tune, it's from the most underrated Yes album of all-time.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

It's not just their recent stuff with me... I dunno, I guess I never quite "got" this band. I bought IMAGES & WORDS back when it came out cuz I dug the song "Pull Me Under" (which as I soon found out, was not exactly a "typical" DT song), but the rest of the album bored me to tears... I've liked an odd track here and there since then but overall I guess they're not really my thang. Phenomenal musicians, though, I will admit.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:05 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

It's not just their recent stuff with me... I dunno, I guess I never quite "got" this band. I bought IMAGES & WORDS back when it came out cuz I dug the song "Pull Me Under" (which as I soon found out, was not exactly a "typical" DT song), but the rest of the album bored me to tears... I've liked an odd track here and there since then but overall I guess they're not really my thang. Phenomenal musicians, though, I will admit.

My sentiments exactly.

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:07 pm

detuned wrote:
Machine Messiah is a great choice for a cover tune, it's from the most underrated Yes album of all-time.

+10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:08 pm

Although I'm sure I'll get slammed for this opinion...I'll say it anyway.

Opeth succeeds at what Dream Theater has been failing at since their inception.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

Years ago I walked into my local Tower Records and Dream Theater happened to be doing an in-store. I was unaware of it till the store security guard (a guy I knew from high school, and who knew of my musical tastes), who was by the door keeping people in line, stopped me and asked "I guess you're here to see Dream Theater?" I was like "Um...no," so he let me through so I could shop elsewhere in the store. Though I have to admit, I briefly considered getting on the line to meet DT just so I could tell them, "You guys are pretentious as hell." Haha.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm

"Pretentious" is the word I always used to describe DT's music too.

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:28 pm

I went thru a dry spell w/ DREAM THEATER after being a major fanboy for years...I pretty much was bored with them from ToT until Systematic Chaos....then it's like it just "hit me" again...my fandom has been crawling back...

As for comparing OPETH to DT, I see them as different entities...

What I see OPETH doing is playing a heavier version of 70's Prog Rock ala Genesis, Camel, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd etc while mixing in elements of Death Metal...

What I see DT doing is playing 80's/90's inspired Heavy Metal/Hard Rock ala Queensryche and Metallica with technical parts drawing influence from 70's and 80's Prog/Art Rock like Kansas and Rush...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:30 pm

Yeah, I can definitely see that. I guess what I was driving at is that Opeth writes really great songs and melodies...Dream Theater writes instrumental tunes and figures out ways to stitch vocals over top. Opeth is song driven and Dream Theater is "noodling" driven.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 12:42 pm

I wouldn't call OPETH "song-driven". They noodle too, just in a different way.

I LOVED DT back in the 90s. "Pull Me Under" is definitely one of their coolest songs I think, so I can see why you only liked that one. I wish they had more stuff like that. I started getting disappointed in them with "Awake" even though it had some great moments on it and after that I think they lost the plot. I even like their debut album a lot even though a lot of people criticize the vocals for reasons I don't understand. Without Kevin Moore in the band, I think their music has gotten lame and tasteless. Their new music actually actively turns me off now, I'm not even indifferent to it. There is just so much filler in there, Portnoy's vocals are annoying, and their lyrics are terrible I think. I feel sorry for LaBrie for having to memorize them. LaBrie has lost a lot of his range from back in the day (as have a lot of metal vocalists) but he still has really good pitch control and tone in his middle register I think.

Agree on "Drama" being underrated. "Tempus Fugit" especially is a great song. They should've covered that one!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Would love to hear DT cover Yes, especially "Machine Messiah". A very cool song from the underrated "Drama" record. Too band they didn't cover some Nektar and old Genesis as well.

"Heaven & Hell" has been covered many, many times.

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 1:20 pm

I agree a little w/ ToB about Kevin Moore...he added something distinctive to their sound...and it is missed, by me at least.

I don't agree about DT not being song-driven...the vocal melodies are usually pretty strong and don't sound like an afterthought...IMO, anyway. And the songs usually have good choruses. James is a good singer and does a good job with the melodies.

I do love Mikael Akerfeldt's approach to melody as well...both musically & vocally.

I think we're getting into "personal taste" territory now... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 pm

I ordered it - I will post a review after I get it.

I do thing DT is song-driven. I would agree that they lost something when Kevin left (see Falling Into Infinity), but I think Jordan brought alot of prog influences to the table. Derek was just not the right fit for DT.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 1:43 pm

I think Falling Into Infinity is a good album...and to this day I prefer Derek Sherinian to Jordan Rudess. Plus, that was an album that the record company was too involved in which affected the band's mindset...but I still think it's really good...some of my favorite DT songs are on that album..."Lines In The Sand", "You Not Me", "Hollow Years" and "New Millenium"...all great songs, IMO.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12761

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 10:10 pm

I try to like Dream Theater but can't do it.

excellent musicians fer sures but something bores me to tears.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeFri Jul 24, 2009 11:50 pm

detuned wrote:
Yeah, I can definitely see that. I guess what I was driving at is that Opeth writes really great songs and melodies...Dream Theater writes instrumental tunes and figures out ways to stitch vocals over top. Opeth is song driven and Dream Theater is "noodling" driven.

You really need to check out Pagans Mind my friend. Melody first then technicality. Amazing prog band...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeSat Jul 25, 2009 10:01 am

PAGAN'S MIND indeed rules!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 4:59 pm

Is the "covers" album taken from live material or are they studio recordings? Either way I'm interested, just wondering. I have a cdr of the 'Master of Puppets' tribute cd which I kinda dig, even if James' vocals don't quite fit.

PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album   New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dream Theather "Official Bootleg" covers album
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next