Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Souls at Zero or Pantera?

Go down 
+14
nevermore
jstate
James B.
sam
sheets
Temple of Blood
mc666
Stender
Troublezone
Leatherface
Schbopo
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
fingers
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Souls at Zero or Pantera? Empty
PostSubject: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 7:29 pm

Ok probably not the right time to ask this question but what the heck? When it comes to songwriting
and style of singing I say Souls at Zero is clearly better they've got more intelligent things to sing about and don't
always sing about themselves like Phil Anselmo does. It's weak compared to Souls at Zero it's like comparing Motley Crue's songwriting to Thin Lizzy's songwriting ability. I probably wouldn't of said this when I was 15 since back then I was an inspired Phil Anselmo fan but I gotta say that the singer in Souls at Zero is better but not more talented since Phil as I said before showed his full talent on Cowboys From Hell and Power Metal
since he doesn't yell like Phil does and you can hear what he is saying. When it comes to riffs I'd say Pantera since Souls at Zero were heavily influenced by them but certainly not Wrathchild America they had better technical riffs than Pantera. When it comes to drumming I have to Shannon Larkin he's the Cliff Burton of drumming don't know why he would play in a boring nu metal band like Godsmack though (probably needed the money). Vinnie paul is brilliant as well though but not as good.

But it doesn't surprise me that Pantera were more popular than Souls at Zero since the music was more extreme and angry and appealed to the angry alternative fan base more. But I will always respect Pantera what they did in the 90s they proved to those stupid a**holes who were saying "Heavy Metal is dead and gone" Heavy Metal definitely needed them back then. Alot of metal bands today owe their debt to Pantera and not just those trashy metalcore bands.
But in a way it has to be Souls at Zero
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 7:46 pm

Why does everyone view Pantera as the "Be All End All" of metal? Pantera were NOT that great! Just because Pantera kept metal in the mainstream don't mean a damn thing. Those who didn't want metal around didn't have to listen to it. It was just fine underground then as it is underground now. Sure its more acceptable now and probably more-so now than it was in the 80's. Pantera are and will always be a terrible band!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 8:31 pm

Never had much use for either one honestly, but since I do enjoy a couple of Pantera records I'd have to go with them.

Do you ever start threads about bands other than Pantera, by the way? Just curious.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 9:15 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Do you ever start threads about bands other than Pantera, by the way? Just curious.

Sure!

http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/cliff-burton-an-rem-fan-t9577.htm?highlight=burton
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm

I had the pleasure of knowing the members of Wrathchild America/Souls At Zero and saw them countless times between 1986 and 1995. I was also present for some of the rehearsal sessions for the 3-D album...an experience I'll never forget.

Souls At Zero was a far superior band, but didn't have a major label push behind them. The last show I saw them at was in Seattle on the "A Taste For The Perverse" tour...opening for Skid Row. ugh.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18928

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:22 pm

I liked both bands, but neither one thrilled me. So I can't really choose. Lame, I know.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm

Pantera is groovier so i'll pick them, although i'm not a fan of post Vulgar Display stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:19 am

One of the few times I will disagree with Lurideth here. I really enjoy CFH-FBD. Those three albums are solid through and through. My only wish is that Phil would have used more of his natural singing talent. On Cemetary Gates, the guy is unbelievable. But then he hardly ever used that killer clean vocal style after that. And even, sometimes when the mood is right, I like listening to the early pre-Anselmo stuff. Those first three are really good Def Leppard albums.

Just my opinion.

As far as S@Z go, no one has ever covered Bad Brains better!!!! And that is one big compliment coming from a lifelong 'Brains fanatic!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 12:41 am

Lurideath wrote:
Why does everyone view Pantera as the "Be All End All" of metal? Pantera were NOT that great! Just because Pantera kept metal in the mainstream don't mean a damn thing. Those who didn't want metal around didn't have to listen to it. It was just fine underground then as it is underground now. Sure its more acceptable now and probably more-so now than it was in the 80's. Pantera are and will always be a terrible band!

+8000
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 1:06 am

Stender wrote:
Lurideath wrote:

+8000
humble

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 3:53 am

In my recollection, PANTERA were about 100 billion times better than SaZ.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 6:08 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:22 am

I remember reading a magazine article about S.A.Z. years ago where the writer cruelly referred to them as "Sales At Zero" Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:46 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I remember reading a magazine article about S.A.Z. years ago where the writer cruelly referred to them as "Sales At Zero" Laughing very hard

Yeah, I remembered that too when I saw the title of this thread. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:59 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

100 billion times? Man, that's impressive, what equation did you use to come up with that number?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 10:02 am

detuned wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

100 billion times? Man, that's impressive, what equation did you use to come up with that number?

I know ... I'm as surprised as you are that it came out exactly to 100 billion. But it did.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 5:46 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

lol!

If you want to sell records you have to tour a lot and that is something Pantera specialized in back in the day.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Never heard Souls at Zero, but I do remember liking Wrathchild America a bit at one time. I like Pantera more than the WA stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 7:54 pm

was is up with all your pantera ranting lately?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12618

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:05 pm

It's subjective of course like all things. It seems folks are making a different statement than merely "Pantera is LAME" by saying that. I get this " I am/was too kewl to like them" vibe.

I saw Wrathchild America once and never really noticed they became Souls At Zero. I only saw Pantera twice after they got signed. First at Concrete in El Lay prior to CFH and once again here in Sac Town when they opened for the Skids. I saw them too many times to remember with Terry Glaze and dozens of shows with the teen age Phil back when he was actually kewl.

I listen to the first four Pantera on vinyl alot more than the first two major labels I have on CD. CFH and Vulgar....There are better players on each perspective instrument than the Pantera boys, that is for sure. Phil got caught up at looking at himself in the mirror too much and getting caught up in presenting himself in what he thought he saw. A talented singer who made a wrong turn and ruined the attraction I had in a band.
Folks can hate them, don't bother me a bit. But you can't deny they were talented musicians. my .02
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:43 pm

...of course as I sit here now I'm thinking...why are we comparing Souls At Zero and Pantera? They aren't remotely similar.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 8:49 pm

detuned wrote:
...of course as I sit here now I'm thinking...why are we comparing Souls At Zero and Pantera? They aren't remotely similar.

That too ... except that they were both 90s metal bands.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2009 9:11 pm

Detuned, I want to hear more about the 3-D rehearsals.

I always thought the name changes hurt them a lot. Build up the name Wrathchild then have to tack on the America for legal reasons. Then the change to Souls At Zero. We used always joke about how the band really was called "Souls At Zero (formerly Wrathchild America)" since that was how they always got billed locally.

Nothing against Pantera but I would pick Souls At Zero.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:35 am

Schbopo wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Sure!

[url=http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/cliff-burton-an-rem-fan-t9577.htm?highlight=burton
http://www.heartofmetal.net/heart-of-metal-f1/cliff-burton-an-rem-fan-t9577.htm?highlight=burton[/quote[/url]]

thank you.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2009 4:44 am

detuned wrote:
I had the pleasure of knowing the members of Wrathchild America/Souls At Zero and saw them countless times between 1986 and 1995. I was also present for some of the rehearsal sessions for the 3-D album...an experience I'll never forget.

Souls At Zero was a far superior band, but didn't have a major label push behind them. The last show I saw them at was in Seattle on the "A Taste For The Perverse" tour...opening for Skid Row. ugh.

What was the best show with Souls at Zero? Lucky you for the 3d album experience, 3D one of the most underrated albums of the thrash metal genre and should of been more popular than the black album by MetallicA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Souls at Zero or Pantera?   Souls at Zero or Pantera? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Souls at Zero or Pantera?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next