Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pre-Cowboys Pantera?

Go down 
+12
TheGooch
Troublezone
Lurideath
Temple of Blood
Required Fields
nevermore
kmorg
DallasBlack
Mglaffas81
Fat Freddy
caniplaywithmadness?
Tall Tyrion
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Empty
PostSubject: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:20 am

Pantera was never on my radar screen until Cowboys From Hell came out. I really was never impressed with anything beyond that album, but last night someone told me that their older stuff (think Diamond Darrell lol! ) was really good.

I've seen the pictures from their glam look, but never heard the music. Are these albums worth tracking down (or is that even possible)?
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 am

Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Exposedpantera9

look at tough guy phil anselmo lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 am

He looks like he wants to kiss me. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:34 am

Those first four Panteras have been out of print for years (they were self released by the band back in the day) but have been bootlegged like crazy, they turn up on eBay pretty regularly. They can also be found on many download sites, you just gotta know where to look.

My fave of the four is POWER METAL (1988, first one w/Phil on vocals), it's got its cheesy moments but it's closest to the COWBOYS sound.

The other three - METAL MAGIC (83), PROJECTS IN THE JUNGLE (84) and I AM THE NIGHT (85) are more in the vein of '80s Kiss, early Def Leppard, Roth-era VH, with a hint of Judas Priest. PROJECTS and I AM THE NIGHT are pretty good if you like that sorta thing (I do), but METAL MAGIC is pretty well unlistenable to me, mainly because it's such a terrible sounding recording. I realize they were all teenage kids when they made that record, but it sounds more like a cheap demo tape than a legit album.

Hope that helps! Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 am

There seems to be a big black hole, those 8 years up until "Cowboys from Hell" ...check out their album "Power-Metal", the last album before "Cowboys from Hell", released in 1988. it's the first with Phil Anselmo on vocals, and he sings quite different. It's quite an enjoyable mix of the mainstream 80s metal of their early albus, and the pure heaviness and aggressive metal that is "Cowboys from hell". Their earlier albums Is a total 80s throwback, sounding like a mix of 80s era Judas Priest, Motley Crue, and some good ol' cheesiness thrown in for good measure (their first album, Metal Magic, featured song titles like,
"Ride My Rocket" and "Rock Out!" ...yes, it's PANTERA!).

I'd say, "Power Metal" is a really good album, actually, and their earlier...well...if you feel like some nostalgic 80s cheesiness, Pantera style...crank up "Latest Lover" and ROCK OUT! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 10:14 am

Yeah, the first singer was a Jor Elliott clone. I am sure these are Eyesores favorite Pantera releases.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 10:15 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Yeah, the first singer was a Jor Elliott clone. I am sure these are Eyesores favorite Pantera releases.

lol!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 10:19 am

I've heard a few of the older Pantera songs but was not super impressed with them. I love Cowboys, Vulgar Display, and to a lesser extent, Far Beyond Driven after that I agree with Tall Tyrion.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 10:23 am

What is Uncle Saxon doing next to Dimebag in that pic?
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 12:21 pm

They have never been released on CD, so you'll have to hunt down LP's, or bootlegs.

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 12:50 pm

Pre-Cowboys Pantera? ExposedPantera10

Pre-Cowboys Pantera? ExposedPantera11

Phil and Rex Shocked

Pre-cowboys Pantera is alright, not really my thing. You probably would want to listen to some before you try find the lps or bootleg cds.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 12:55 pm

kmorg wrote:
They have never been released on CD, so you'll have to hunt down LP's, or bootlegs.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe there was an official CD release of POWER METAL on the Pantera guys' "Metal Magic" label, but the others were strictly vinyl and cassettes.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 1:19 pm

Power Metal is my favorite and to my ears the best of the four early albums.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 1:55 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:12 pm

Required Fields wrote:
SAXON1500 wrote:

lol!
Haha. He's pretty much right. I frickin' love the first four albums! Too bad all the bootlegs are crappy quality, except for Power Metal. A good while ago I posted two songs from each album here. I can do it again, Tyrion, if you want, but you have to promise to download them. It seems like whenever someone asks for someone to upload something on a forum they never download it.

Either way, it's hard for me to say I like one era more than another because they're very different. But yeah, the first four are outstanding 80's rock/metal albums. And no, they never sold out. They naturally progressed and got heavier album to album. I always have to say this. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I'm not 100 percent sure but I believe there was an official CD release of POWER METAL on the Pantera guys' "Metal Magic" label, but the others were strictly vinyl and cassettes.
Yeah, Power Metal got a CD release as far as I know. The rest were vinyl and cassette. I have them on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:16 pm

"Power Metal" is a great heavy metal album.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Yeah, Power Metal got a CD release as far as I know. The rest were vinyl and cassette. I have them on vinyl.

All of them have been bootlegged onto CD at one time or another since Pantera got huge though. Makes you wonder why Vinnie doesn't just package them all together in a little box set ("Pantera -- The Early Years" or somethin' like that) and make some of that cash for himself. There's obviously demand for'em.

Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 2:52 pm

Metal Magic is like a Kiss clone album.
Power Metal is a lot like the band Danger Danger

I never cared for these guys at all though. Still don't like them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 3:16 pm

Eyesore wrote:
They naturally progressed and got heavier album to album.

True.

But I like Power Metal the best out of all their albums. I always thought they were trying too hard to be "metal" on Cowboys and Vulgar. I wasn't really surprised when I found out they had a few "lighter" releases earlier in their career.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
kmorg wrote:

All of them have been bootlegged onto CD at one time or another since Pantera got huge though. Makes you wonder why Vinnie doesn't just package them all together in a little box set ("Pantera -- The Early Years" or somethin' like that) and make some of that cash for himself. There's obviously demand for'em.
Yeah, I have Metal Magic and Go For The Throat by Shok Paris on one CD, and I Am The Night and Projects In The Jungle on another; both released by Reborn Classics. I have a bootleg of Power Metal on The Last Bootleg Records, which includes for remixes from Vulgar Display of Power.

But I've wondered this myself why Vinnie doesn't reissue them. I personally think he has no idea of the demand. If you read most internet talk, people talk trash about those early releases, calling the band sell outs and whatnot, saying they ripped of Exhorder, etc. Anyone with half a brain can listen to the first four albums and hear a band that steadily and naturally gets heavier album to album. Even Cowboys From Hell isn't devoid of the 80s metal like people claim ("Shattered," "Message In Blood," etc.). But people still call them sell outs. They, of course, base this mainly on the look.

Anyway, I would love Vinnie to remaster and reissue these. They deserve it. They're really good albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 4:14 pm

Lurideath wrote:
This is a joke post, right?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 5:08 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Lurideath wrote:
This is a joke post, right?

I have to agree w/ Eyesore (though not as harshly). "Power Metal" is much heavier/more metal and to me than any hard rock band and sounds like JUDAS PRIEST/OZZY with touches of speed metal here and there, such as the title track.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 5:43 pm

No way! Judas Priest???? hahaha! I have never heard any Ozzy in this album either.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 pm

"Rock the World" and "Down Below" sound PRIEST-ish to me.

"We'll Meet Again" reminds me a bit of something OZZY might've done in the mid-80s.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pre-Cowboys Pantera?   Pre-Cowboys Pantera? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pre-Cowboys Pantera?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next