Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos

Go down 
+14
assault_attack
XYZ
Schbopo
Thrasher73
MetalRob331
Lurideath
Required Fields
DeathCult
Sons-Of-Vengeance
MetalGuy71
sam
manny
ultmetal
thejokeriv
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Empty
PostSubject: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:50 am

http://www.guitarworld.com/article/100_worst_guitar_solos?page=0%2C0
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:19 pm

I got as far as reading the stupid comment for Peter Frampton and closed the page. This list is asinine.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 pm

C.C. Deville always gets picked on for this particular solo, sure the solo is crap but I will give him props for having the balls to release it without overdubbing it, plus I have heard worse solos.

Wango Tango is meant to be a b.s. song, so it only requires a simple riff not Beethoven's 5th and IMO this one Ted Nugent's final classics.

Mick Taylor bailed on the Stones because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards allow no input into the song writing process for their albums, and if you ever heard one of Mick Taylor's solo albums you can see why.

Greg Ginn of Black Flag is not Eddie Van Halen and a guitar solo on the level of Van Halen would sound silly in a hard core band, his guitar work sounds fine the way it is on that song.

Usually I agree with Guitar World's list but this one not so much. I do agree with some of the choices but for the most part I feel the writer was just trying to generate a reaction from the readers.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 pm

when you run out of content create controversy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 12:59 pm

I read down till about #12 or so before a tapped out. This is a stupid list.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Sons-Of-Vengeance

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm

Quote :
C.C. Deville always gets picked on for this particular solo, sure the solo is crap but I will give him props for having the balls to release it without overdubbing it, plus I have heard worse solos.

I agree. CC must have had an off nite... or year but I always thought he had some tasty solos on the studio stuff.

I always thought that Neil Youngs Cinnamon Girl contained the worst solo. When I was a wee lad just taking up the guitar and not even having the major chords down yet I told my teacher that I wanted to learn a solo. I was hoping for perhaps a Neil Schon passage or even something from Ace Frehley instead I was given Cinnamon Girl. Teachers intuition!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:18 pm

Quote :

CC is an easy target, but in reality, he's a pretty talented guitar player. The problem is that he's so all over the place and hopped up on goofballs that you'd never know it.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:49 pm

Yeah, I remember this issue of the magazine, total crap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28411

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 1:59 pm

That Manowar solo is actually a bass solo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:41 pm

yeah this is definitely a horrible list.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 3:19 pm

Quite a number of the songs don't deserve to be on the list (twisted sister - we're not gonna take it? come on! Ace? no way? The Nuge? He'll hunt down the author with his cross bow!)

Some of the comments where funny on the songs that I think suck anyway.

As far as CC, I never thought he was that great of a guitarist, but live he's running around and jumping around so much, he misses notes, etc, etc. But, if you are going to a Poison show, you don;t expect them to stand around looking bored, you wouldn't feel like you where getting your money's worth!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 3:47 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I got as far as reading the stupid comment for Peter Frampton and closed the page. This list is asinine.

Laughing very hard I agree who made this list? Some of these songs don;t even have solos in them. KORN Y'all want a single has no solo, since when was a riff a solo.

the worst solo of all time is Psycho Killer from the Talking Heads

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 3:55 pm

Remember when these publications were respectable and actually GLORIFIED these guitarists they slam now? I'd like to shoot them all.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 4:03 pm

I didnt realize Korn had guitar solos
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 4:08 pm

Didn't Eddie Ojeda do the solo in We're Not Gonna Take It? scratch This awesome article has Jay Jay listed.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 4:45 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Didn't Eddie Ojeda do the solo in We're Not Gonna Take It? scratch This awesome article has Jay Jay listed.

I don't remember - maybe Ult has the answer!
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Yankee Rose has a solo? When?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Some of the solos they list are just "breakdowns," not actual solos.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 pm

xyz wrote:

I guess the writers, like many popular guitarists, forgot what a solo ws during the last 10 years!!!!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 6:30 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
xyz wrote:

I guess the writers, like many new bands guitarists, forgot what a solo ws during the last 10 years!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:58 pm

We all know what the truly worst guitar solo is -

punk rock girl

But it takes alot of talent to purposely sound that bad!!
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 pm

I think they expect every solo to be as great and technical as Hot for Teacher or Tornado of Souls. Sometimes songs don't warrant the epic solo.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 10:33 pm

But I bet we can all agree: that Manowar bass solo sucks.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:59 pm

That Manowar bass solo isn't bad. Its just fast and occasionally irritating to hear.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 3:24 am

manny wrote:

Mick Taylor bailed on the Stones because Mick Jagger and Keith Richards allow no input into the song writing process for their albums, and if you ever heard one of Mick Taylor's solo albums you can see why.

I have read that he also left because he thought he would die hanging with keith. Heroin was a huge problem with Mick T. & Keith. IT was probably a combination of both........

The 6 years or so that Taylor was in the Stones are my favorite ERA by far.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos   Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Guitar World's 100 worst guitar solos
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next