Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mercyful Fate overrated?

Go down 
+20
zombiewalkin
A Handful of Wayne
King D
nevermore
Troublezone
manny
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
Lurideath
Olafsto
sam
thejokeriv
candlemass
MetalRob331
Smindas
kmorg
mc666
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
fingers
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 25, 2008 6:09 am

In my opinion MF isn't overrated. Don't Break the Oath and Melissa both are some of the best metal albums ever created.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 26, 2008 12:32 am

Mercyful fate deserve every bit of recognition. Not overrated.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 27, 2008 3:22 pm

UNDERRATED if anything, MF were not only the kings of time changes but made truly amazing music coupled with King's voice, regardless of the lyrics, one of the best bands ever IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 am

I happen to have been on a Mercyful Fate kick lately and have been listening to their entire catalog on and off for the past week or so. Here's how I'd rank the MF discs from top to bottom:

1. DON'T BREAK THE OATH (Not just MF's best disc but Top 10 of All Time for me. Glory, majesty, hail, hail, bow down to its sheer awesome creeping evilness)... Laughing
2. IN THE SHADOWS
3. TIME
4. MELISSA
5. INTO THE UNKNOWN
6. THE BEGINNING (compilation)
7. 9
8. DEAD AGAIN

9 and especially DEAD AGAIN don't have the same staying power that the other albums have had IMO. By that time the band was cranking out a new album every year or so (in addition to King continuing with his ongoing solo efforts at the same time!) so they were beginning to sound a bit tired on those last two CDs. Also, the exit of Michael Denner (replaced by Mike Wead) was a big loss (I am of the opinion that Denner and Hank Shermann were a guitar team on par with Smith/Murray or Tipton/Downing). Now that I've re-evaluated it, DEAD AGAIN looks likely to end up on my next trade list, as that disc does little for me. Those first five albums are unbeatable, however, and belong in everyone's classic Metal collection IMO!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 11:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
DON'T BREAK THE OATH (Not just MF's best disc but Top 10 of All Time for me.
my sentiments exactly!

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 1:07 am

I don't think you could call any band that has had as much influence as MF, a band that has never had mainstream support, overrated. I'm not as familiar w/ Mercyful Fate as many of you, but I would never call them overrated.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mercyful Fate overrated?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2