Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mercyful Fate overrated?

Go down 
+20
zombiewalkin
A Handful of Wayne
King D
nevermore
Troublezone
manny
scottmitchell74
ultmetal
Lurideath
Olafsto
sam
thejokeriv
candlemass
MetalRob331
Smindas
kmorg
mc666
Temple of Blood
Schbopo
fingers
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Mercyful Fate overrated? Empty
PostSubject: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 22, 2008 11:49 pm

I keep on hearing constant hype about how great this band is and how bands keep on banging on how influential they were on them maybe so and I gotta admit they were pretty good for their time and were pretty outrageous for metal back in 1984 but when you look back their music is quite basic when you compare it to King Diamond's albums and not as good like cmon Break the Oath doesn't in anyway hold a candle to albums like Abigail, Them and Conspiracy in a way break the oath just a basic hail satin metal album
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 12:07 am

So what if they're overrated? Led Zeppelin is overrated, but they're still a great friggin band.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 12:41 am

No way!

They're post-reunion albums are underrated, just like the non-Ozzy Sabbath albums are underrated.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 am

fingers wrote:
I keep on hearing constant hype about how great this band is and how bands keep on banging on how influential they were on them maybe so and I gotta admit they were pretty good for their time and were pretty outrageous for metal back in 1984 but when you look back their music is quite basic when you compare it to King Diamond's albums and not as good like cmon Break the Oath doesn't in anyway hold a candle to albums like Abigail, Them and Conspiracy in a way break the oath just a basic hail satin metal album
Even if you had used punctuation, this statement makes no sense. Mercyful Fate deserves every bit of credit they get. Hail Satin! 🤘

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:26 am

It's kinda strange, but I think I have yet to hear an entire MF album Shocked

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:57 am

The MF albums are just as important as the KD albums. I think these "overrated" threads are pretty "overrated".
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:28 am

No, they're not overrated. What a ridiculous point to make.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:34 am

I prefer most MF albums to King Diamond with the exception of Abigail
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:07 am

What is Satin metal, like really smooth and silky?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 9:27 am

I like Mercyful Fate, the only King Diamond album I liked was Fatal Portrait. As for how influential they are that's a matter of opinion, they basically just built on the Judas Priest foundation and added operatic vocals and satanic lyrics. But if you go back and listen to Melissa it sounds unique for the time.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:04 am

Nope, not overrated
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 am

mc666 wrote:
Hail Satin! 🤘

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 10:29 am

candlemass wrote:
What is Satin metal, like really smooth and silky?

lol!
Satin, smooth. silk, Melissaaaaaaaaaaah
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:14 pm

There is no way Mercyful Fate is over-rated.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:38 pm

mc666 wrote:
Hail Satin! 🤘

Laughing very hard

Dude, that had me rolling!!!!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 2:39 pm

I think you all are missing the initial point. Basically all he's saying is that he thinks King Diamond's "Abigail", "Them" and "Conspiracy" are better than the classic MF albums. I don't happen to agree, but I can agree that it's a valid opinion.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:00 pm

Quote :
just a basic hail satin metal album

There's not enough of this, really, as satin deserves all the praise it gets. It's a sub-genre I'd really like to see take off.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 3:14 pm

I like both Mercyful Fate and King Diamond, and I don't feel that either entity is overrated, if anything I feel both bands do not get enough credit for helping pioneer a less mainstream form of metal in the 80's. Music business was not like today, no internet, what little press you received was from fanazines, and how you made your mark and get fans to buy your album was tour, tour, tour, MTV certainly was going to put King Diamond or Mercyful Fate in heavy rotation. It is amazing that King Diamond, whether solo or with his band has managed to not only have a career but able to maintain a world wide following 25 plus years later.

If he prefers King Diamond over Mercyful Fate I agree with ULT it is a valid opinion, one I don't share, but valid. Mercyful Fate overrated? No way they are rarely given their due even by the metal press and critics.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 5:03 pm

M Fate has great music.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 5:42 pm

spectrefate wrote:
The MF albums are just as important as the KD albums. I think these "overrated" threads are pretty "overrated".

Well said.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Satan........just checking! Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
King D
Metal novice
Metal novice
King D

Number of posts : 16

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 7:29 pm

No they are not.

*points at avatar*
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 23, 2008 8:08 pm

My eyes almost fell out of my skull when I saw the title of this thread! No way are they overrated. If anything they are very underrated for what they have accomplished with all their releases.

If you put KD and MF in the same category yes I think KD has a little more strength, but thats the problem just because King Diamond is in both bands people tend to put them together. They are 2 totally seperate bands and you have to think of them that way.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 am

The original MF albums before King went solo are in no way overrated. They are classics. I really like the song structuring on those albums.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 12:47 pm

I actually prefer most of MF's work over King's solo material. MercyFul Fate is in no way overrated in my book.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate overrated?   Mercyful Fate overrated? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mercyful Fate overrated?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next