Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mercyful Fate and King Diamond

Go down 
+12
Fat Freddy
manny
A Handful of Wayne
tul
sam
Invader
DallasBlack
krokus
Leatherface
Troublezone
mc666
fingers
16 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Empty
PostSubject: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 3:07 am

Just wandering what you all think of their stuff and what's their best albums.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 3:36 am

can't go wrong with any of them imho. however these are my faves...
Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath
Mercyful Fate - Time
Mercyful Fate - Into The Unknown
King Diamond - Fatal portrait
King Diamond - Abigail
King Diamond - The Eye
King Diamond - House Of God

Last edited by mc666 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.last.fm/user/mc666
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 4:14 am

Them
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18909

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 4:23 am

Like them both.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 7:35 am

My fave´s:
MERCYFUL FATE:NUNS HAVE NO FUN mini
MELISSA
DON´T BREAK THE OATH
IN THE SHADOWS
TIME
KING DIAMOND:ABIGAIL
FATAL PORTRAIT
CONSPIRACY
THE PUPPET MASTER
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 8:39 am

My favorite King Diamond albums:

Abigail
"Them"
The Spider's Lullabye
The Graveyard

Mercyful Fate:

Time
Into The Unknown
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 am

Best Mercyful Fate - Melissa
Best King Diamond - Abigail
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 6:16 pm

merciful fate's good, but I don't care for the lyrics though I can look past them, and KD rocks hard and long, hard and long.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
tul
Metal student
Metal student
tul

Number of posts : 234

PostSubject: Burning the Cross   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 7:56 pm

My faverite Mercyful Fate song is Burning the Cross.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSun Aug 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Like both and all their albums. Only album I have an exception for is Mercyful Fates Dead Again. I probably listen to that one the least. The production is just horrible the songs are horrible its just bad all together.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 9:29 am

I would start with Mercyful Fate-Don't Break the Oath or Melissa
KIng Diamond-Them

Roadrunner did release two best of collections : The Best Of Mercyful Fate and The Best of King Diamond which is not bad place to start if you want a sampling of the some their material, and it should hold you over for awhile.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 9:35 am

For some reason I've always preferred Mercyful Fate to King Diamond's solo stuff, dunno why since they're very similar. Anyway, my fave MF discs are DON'T BREAK THE OATH, TIME, and IN THE SHADOWS, and my fave King solo would be FATAL PORTRAIT.

I saw MF on Halloween night '93 on their IN THE SHADOWS tour and it is still one of my all time fave concerts!! Could there be a more perfect band to see on Halloween??

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2008 5:50 pm

My favorite MF discs are Meliisa and Don't Break The Oath. Into The Unknown is very good,too.

My favorite KD cds are Abigail, Them and The Eye.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeTue Jan 06, 2009 9:55 pm

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/mercyful_fate_plan_new_album.html

hey mercyful fans
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:34 am

I always really liked both of these bands but just grew tired of the same old image of the "Hail Satan" stuff. To each his own but I thought these bands had the potential to really bust out of that rut and take the world by storm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:38 am

skullsmasher wrote:
I always really liked both of these bands but just grew tired of the same old image of the "Hail Satan" stuff. To each his own but I thought these bands had the potential to really bust out of that rut and take the world by storm.

King Diamond didn't do "Hail Satan" stuff.

The first 2 MF albums had some satanic lyrics but no other albums did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 am

I'd start with either Melissa or Don't Break The Oath...then maybe try Fatal Portrait and Abigail. If you like those you'll probably like the rest...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Quote :
King Diamond didn't do "Hail Satan" stuff.

Exactly. King Diamond (the band) told horror stories...
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:49 am

I think the evil imagery with the inverted crosses and such had a lot to do with putting them in that "Hail Satan" niche. I realize that it was their gimmick but most people can never get past that first impression to listen to the music and that is why they never achieved the status of Bon Jovi or Ratt or any of those other bands that achieved super star status with half the talent.

Nothing against Bon Jovi or Ratt I like them too, but do you get what I am saying?
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 am

Then again I can't imagine King Diamond in pretty boy makeup with teased out hair. There is something to be said for sticking to your guns and avoiding the trends.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:01 pm

I find the image of King Diamond in pretty boy make up singing 'You Give Love a Bad Name' more frightening than any concept album story line up he has ever come up with!!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 12:48 pm

I like em - as mentioned, start with Melissa/Don't break the oath then to Them/Abigail

For MF, they are awesome, BUT I can't stand some of the lyrical content. I have to skip the song the oath, it's hard for me to rock out to a song about taking an oath to satan. Even the first line, "I deny Jesus Christ" - I keep thinking to myself, well I don't!!!!
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Both bands are awesome!

Mercyful Fate's "Don't Break the Oath" and "Melissa" are both classics and should be where you start. Then just get every release after.

The only KD release I don't like is "The Eye", but everything else is really good.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37639

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:33 pm

sam wrote:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/mercyful_fate_plan_new_album.html

hey mercyful fans

Unfortunately King Diamond has shot down the rumor that MF is "planning" a new album ... (from Blabbermouth) The DVD's of vintage stuff he speaks about here sound like they'll be awesome tho! 🤘

Quote :
"The second rumour that's floating around, which is that MERCYFUL FATE has started writing new material, I really have no idea where it originated from.

"The present status of MERCYFUL FATE remains unchanged, meaning that we have not started writing new material. For that to happen, MERCYFUL FATE's recording contracts have to be renegotiated first. We certainly would love for this to happen so that we can finally make our long-overdue 'masterpiece.' Both Hank [Shermann, MERCYFUL FATE guitarist] and I are ready to go if that scenario presents itself, and who knows, that might happen this year.

"So... for this year, you will see a double DVD of old private KING DIAMOND video recordings and a double DVD of old private MERCYFUL FATE video recordings which I am working on as we speak. Andy [La Rocque, KING DIAMOND guitarist] has finished remastering 'The Graveyard', 'Spider's Lullabye', 'Voodoo', and 'House of God', all of which should also be available this year. And then there is 'the big surprise' (not little King babies with horns on their foreheads or MERCYFUL FATE writing new songs, at least not as we speak) but something that could lead to renegotiations of the MERCYFUL FATE recording deals. We'll see. Be patient.....

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitimeSat Jun 24, 2017 2:32 am

Just updated my original list, swapping Them for Fatal Portrait.

I still say Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath is probably the greatest traditional metal album ever recorded after Judas Priest's Sin After Sin.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercyful Fate and King Diamond   Mercyful Fate and King Diamond Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mercyful Fate and King Diamond
Page 1 of 1