Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Cult - Sonic Temple

Go down 
+7
Leatherface
the sentinel
Fat Freddy
DeathCult
MetalGuy71
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The Cult - Sonic Temple Empty
PostSubject: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:26 pm

I love this album. Total soundtrack to my youth. I crank it and remember going to my first factory job and hearing,like, 3 different tracks off there on Z-Rock every morning!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 pm

I like a lot of tracks off of this one but it's not my favorite.

I feel it's the most commercial of their releases. I like Beyond Good and Evil and Electric a lot more.

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeTue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 pm

More of a "sentimental" fav in this case. That album just has alot of youthful memories attached to it.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 2:11 am

That is the first CD I ever bought. It's what brought me into the CD era. I still have my original copy, and I still love it. Geeze, that was like 18 years ago?!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:58 am

This was the 1st Cult cd I ever purchased as well, so it's always gonna be a sentimental favorite of mine.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 10:45 am

It's the first one I bought as well, but they always came off as mediocre to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 4:43 pm

Sonic Temple is a really cool album in that it combines the raw rock'n'roll of Electric with the psychedelic tone of Love. IMO, it sounds like Pump-era Aerosmith mixed with early Doors. "Sun King" is a really powerful tune. I especially like to chorus riff in "New York City"; single-note riffs make songs sound so interesting. I think Billy Duffy really shines on that song. And what a retro cover, eh? I love Duffy's pose; that's rock'n'roll, man.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 pm

SONIC TEMPLE is in my top 10 of all time, easy.

Unfortunately the band sucked ass when I saw them live during the tour for that album (when they were opening for Metallica's JUSTICE tour)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 7:03 pm

So no sound check, I assume FF? Had the Metalli-Ego already taken over by then?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeWed Mar 26, 2008 9:31 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
So no sound check, I assume FF? Had the Metalli-Ego already taken over by then?

Nah, from what I could see, Ian Astbury was drunk as a skunk and just didnt' wanna be there. They were getting no crowd reaction so Ian finally just laid on the drum riser for the rest of the set mumbling into the mic while the band played on around him.

I found out later that by that point in the tour (this was towards the end of their run w/Metallica) the Cult guys had gotten so sick of being abused every night by the Metallica crowds that they had just given up.

Which sucked for me, as a fan of BOTH bands who had been hoping for a killer double bill, of course!!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 11:08 pm

This album ruled my junior year of high school!!! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18903

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeThu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 pm

The only one of thiers I have and I think it's a very good record.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 10:25 pm

I like it.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 10:52 pm

Overblown, excessive, drunken, the curse of Bob Rock! etc. That's what i think about this album.

3 songs tops maybe 4 that are brilliant, Sun King, Edie (Ciao Baby), Fire Woman and New York City (iffy) and the rest......

......Well Astbury and Duffy blew it. The Cult could of been the biggest band in the world. Hell they were the best in 1987 after Electric. Something to do with getting fat, drunk and absorbing the worst aspects of LA rock lifestyles and sounds.

I see no thread for Ceremony? Better left unsaid i guess.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeFri Mar 28, 2008 11:09 pm

rattpoison wrote:

I see no thread for Ceremony? Better left unsaid i guess.

CEREMONY has its moments but it's basically a pale carbon copy of SONIC TEMPLE. The flat production by Richie Zito didn't help any. Title track and "Wild Hearted Son" are pretty decent songs though.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 am

Fire.....Smoke she is a risin

Love this album. It is my favorite by them.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:25 pm

When I first got this album I thought it was really good. But couldn't really understand all the hype it was getting. I also swore I never wanted to hear Fire Woman again as a sing-a-long party anthem. Eventually years later I got Love and Electric and thought those were incredible.

Today, my love for Sonic Temple has greatly increased while my love for the other two has somewhat faded. Sonic Temple is always the first choice when I go for some Cult.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi I'm new in the forum but i would like to say that sonic temple is a good album but my favorite is the Electric great album!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:36 pm

Elohyin wrote:
Hi I'm new in the forum but i would like to say that sonic temple is a good album but my favorite is the Electric great album!! Very Happy

Welcome, Elohyin to heart of metal. I hope you enjoy it here. Great album Electric is, but to me it's number 2 on my favs by them.

P.S. LOVE the AVATAR!
Rainbow Rising is a great album. Also one y favs.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:37 pm

Elohyin wrote:

I like both Beyond Good and Evil and Electric better than Sonic Temple.

Welcome!

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:39 pm

I don't have Beyong good and evil yet. I want it very bad though. I have heard alot of good things about that album.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:40 pm

thewalkofman wrote:
I don't have Beyong good and evil yet. I want it very bad though. I have heard alot of good things about that album.

Beyond Good and Evil is a lot heavier than the typical Cult album. The song Rise is pure metal IMO.

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:41 pm

I have heard rise before, and I like it. I didn't know it was from that album. I would like to hear a heavier Cult. I'll give it a try.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Here ya go;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8dN-5N1yzk

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitimeSat Apr 05, 2008 3:44 pm

SWEET! Thanks for the link, man. You rule.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cult - Sonic Temple   The Cult - Sonic Temple Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cult - Sonic Temple
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next