Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

It Was 35 Years Ago Today...

Go down 
+2
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Empty
PostSubject: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 11:54 am

Yea, another KISS thread. Sue me. I just thought this story (from Blabbermouth) was pretty cool and had to share. 🤘

KISS Celebrating 35th Anniversary Of First Concert Today - Jan. 30, 2008

Thirty-five years ago today — January 30, 1973 — KISS performed its very first concert at Popcorn (The Coventry) in Queens, NY. The band played two sets at the club that night for a crowd of under 10 people.

Earlier this week, KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons recalled how that show came about: "1973 was the beginning. WICKED LESTER [pre-KISS] had just finished its album for Epic Records. There were five members in the band, including Paul [Stanley] and myself. Though we had a real recording contract with a major label, and though we had finished an entire album, we were depressed. It just wasn't what we had envisioned. So, we started again. We tried firing the other three guys in WICKED LESTER, but some wouldn't leave. So, we quit. We started again with a vision. 'Let's put together the band we never saw on stage' We got a manager named Lou Linet, who managed JF MURPHY AND FREE FLOWING SALT and DIANA MARCOVITZ (or something like that)...and when he heard the newborn baby — KISS. He thought it was the worst crap he had ever heard. Needless to say, he was gone immediately. So, we were managerless. I put together a bio kit while I worked at the Puerto Rican Interagency Council as assistant to the director. Peter's [Criss] friend owned a printing press and printed up our invites. But where to play? We didn't have a manager. We didn't have an agent. We never had. I made a phone call cold to a place called Popcorn in Queens, NY and on the phone convinced the guy to hire a band, who would soon be changing their name from WICKED LESTER to KISS. We got the gig — three nights — Wednesday, Thursday and Friday for the sum total of $150. That was the beginning."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 11:58 am

That's really weird. It was only 20 years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 pm

*making phone calls to attorney, filing subpoena*
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 pm

T-Roy wrote:
*making phone calls to attorney, filing subpoena*

I'm sorry, did Gene $immons already have a copywrite on that phrase?
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:25 pm

lol! No, I'm suing Freddy, he said to. I need the money....you want in?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:30 pm

T-Roy wrote:
lol! No, I'm suing Freddy, he said to. I need the money....you want in?

"Ahhhhh, I see" said the blind man. Sure, count me in for a few grand.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:33 pm

lets go for the collection too. 🤘
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Thats awesome for Kiss! Its not often you see a band around 35 years!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:36 pm

T-Roy wrote:
lets go for the collection too. 🤘

Ohhh, that's really going for the jugular. I hear he's got some sweet Metallica vinyls.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:37 pm

SCORE!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:42 pm

Sad No respect, I tells ya. No respect at all.

YOU CAN HAVE MY METALLICA VINYLS WHEN YOU PRY THEM FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!
:kickbutt:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:45 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

dont worry i intend to Freddy
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:45 pm

TheGooch wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

dont worry i intend to Freddy

Don't YOU start with me too!!!
cheers

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 pm

FF, you left this part of the press release out....

Fake Press Release wrote:
"To commorate this grand anniversary in the history of KISS, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have released a 6 disc DVD box set that goes into detail, minute by minute of this landmark show. Also there will be 3 minutes of the show that are not released on the original 6 discs. Each of these minutes will be released seperately at different retailers. An exclusive minute will distributed to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Tractor Supply Stores nationwide. Be sure to pick up your copies today!"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 12:47 pm

spectrefate wrote:

"To commorate this grand anniversary in the history of KISS, Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley have released a 6 disc DVD box set that goes into detail, minute by minute of this landmark show. Also there will be 3 minutes of the show that are not released on the original 6 discs. Each of these minutes will be released seperately at different retailers. An exclusive minute will distributed to Wal-Mart, Best Buy, and Tractor Supply Stores nationwide. Be sure to pick up your copies today!"

Laughing very hard At least it's on topic. Smile

I myself wonder if Gene $immon$ still has his share of that first $150 payday framed and hanging on the wall somewhere in that big ol' house of his.

Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28438

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 3:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Laughing very hard At least it's on topic. Smile

I myself wonder if Gene $immon$ still has his share of that first $150 payday framed and hanging on the wall somewhere in that big ol' house of his.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It Was 35 Years Ago Today...   It Was 35 Years Ago Today... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

It Was 35 Years Ago Today...
Page 1 of 1