Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

30 Years Ago Today!!

Go down 
+15
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
James B.
CrookedCross
nevermore
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Lurideath
Troublezone
Gilbert
bgsully
Wrecked Neck
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

30 Years Ago Today!! Empty
PostSubject: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 pm

I feel more than compelled to be the one to honor this album. If "Kill 'em All" was a game changer for the genre, this album was a game changer in "my" life. It was my senior year and this album took precedence over anything else that came out that year. I probably listened to this album every day for a really long time. Anyways...

30 Years Ago Today!! _and_j10

30 Years Ago Today!! _and_j11
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Amazing album, brother. Many memories of cranking this on the headset. It's funny, I remember riding home on the school bus and then having a brief walk home from the drop off site. The first side of the cassette was almost always the same length as my journey. I always seemed to be walking down the street as the last few bars of "One" were playing out. Good times.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2018 11:25 pm

I hate the liner notes giving credit to Cliff Burton for writing the spoken words in the song Orion. Do any of the newer versions still give him credit for that? It happens to be a line spoken by Merlin in the movie Excalibur.

Still a great album, makes me cry hearing that, then realizing what came after. Great memories for that one though for sure. Was lucky enough to see them on that tour, with Faith no More opening. Don't remember a ton from that night, cause I drank way too much, but still a great show.

EDIT: lol I said Orion, when I meant To live is to die! Embarassed

Last edited by Wrecked Neck on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bgsully
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 12:15 am

This album was a game changer for me as well. It was the 1st time I had ever heard anything that heavy. I still spin this one fairly often.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 2:14 am

I only got into this album and other Metallica classics around 1992. My introduction to the band was through the Black Album which is an awesome album. I am glad that their latest album was a step in the right direction. Gets lots of spins from me.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 3:31 am

Are they not gonna reissue this one like the others? A deluxe edition with the bass remixed would be great.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 11:52 am

this album was so damn trendy when it came out. People that would tell me Metal sucks and so on started listening to this and it really pissed me off!! Everything from Jockboys, Surfers, skaters, punkers, Mod people etc... I never liked it and still don't care for it. It is better than anything they have done since its release, but still.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 12:51 pm

Lurideath wrote:
this album was so damn trendy when it came out. People that would tell me Metal sucks and so on started listening to this and it really pissed me off!! Everything from Jockboys, Surfers, skaters, punkers, Mod people etc... I never liked it and still don't care for it. It is better than anything they have done since its release, but still.
You sure your not thinking of the black album? I don't remember those things happening for this album, but for sure happened when the black album came out.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 9:41 pm

This is my 2nd favorite Metallica album.Master would be at the top for me. Shortest straw was my favorite song for a long time. Such a great riff!
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28460

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 9:57 pm

...And Justice for All is a classic album. Their last great album. "Blackened", "Dyers Eve", and "The Frayed Ends of Sanity" are my favorite songs from it.

I was only three when it was released, but Metallica performed only a 15-20 drive from my house during the tour. If only I had been born about 10 years sooner.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Are they not gonna reissue this one like the others? A deluxe edition with the bass remixed would be great.

I think it's supposed to be reissued in November.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 12:16 am

Quote :
You sure your not thinking of the black album? I don't remember those things happening for this album, but for sure happened when the black album came out.

No it was this one. It all started with the One video and their appearance on the MTV Music Awards. When the S/T album came out I was overseas and had no idea they even released that album.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 12:59 am

Lurideath wrote:
Quote :

No it was this one. It all started with the One video and their appearance on the MTV Music Awards. When the S/T album came out I was overseas and had no idea they even released that album.
I remember the One video being all the hype, but my Mom didn't start liking them until the Black album came out lol

I see your from Vegas, you live there back then too? I was born and raised there, but moved out in 1992ish.
Back to top Go down
CrookedCross
Metal novice
Metal novice
CrookedCross

Number of posts : 42

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 am

I saw RIP Magazine and another page on Facebook had erroneously posted this album as being released on August 25th, 1988 Saturday (the Wikipedia page is now showing August 25th, also - I checked there Saturday and August 25th and September 5th(?) were both listed on the page in different spots, no idea why) - the actual release date was Tuesday, September the 6th, 1988. Hard to believe it will be 30 years, though - I still remember getting out of school that day and going to my friend Kyle's, firing-up the bong and listening to the albums on his turntable. To this day one of my all-time favorites.

https://www.metallica.com/releases/albums/4212/and-justice-for-all
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12634

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 am

When I do put it on, it is very hard to listen to the entire thing. Way too many other thrash bands doing it better when this came out, so it has never resonated with me.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 10:07 am

James B. wrote:
When I do put it on, it is very hard to listen to the entire thing.  Way too many other thrash bands doing it better when this came out, so it has never resonated with me.

I find it to be very cold and mechanical sounding and difficult to get into. I rarely listen to it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 10:34 am

This album hit at just the perfect time for me. I was in high school, just developing my taste for thrash, and was getting familiar with the Big Four and all their cohorts. I bought it as a new release on cassette and wore that sucker out. It'll always be a sentimental favorite of mine just because of that. 'Dyers Eve' still smokes.

Fun Fact: Years later, this album would inspire an infamous nickname my buddies bestowed upon my college girlfriend, The Harvester of Sorrow.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

Geez, that was a quick three decades.

When Justice was released, my Metallica obsession was at an all time high. I'd been a fan boy all thru high school and had just seen them live for the first time on the Van Halen's Monsters of Rock tour. They'd played one track from the new album ("Harvester of Sorrow") at that gig and my friends and I argued for the rest of the summer about whether the new song was "Harvester of Sorrow"  or "Harvester of Souls," cuz the live sound at the Monsters gig wasn't great, so we weren't sure, haha.

By the time I moved into my freshman dorm room I already owned the U.K. 12-inch single of Harvester (with non-album tracks "Breadfan" and "The Prince" on the B-side) which came out a few weeks ahead of the album release. I was way too proud of the fact that I was the only person on campus with new Metallica stuff. Of course, nobody cared, but in my mind, merely owning that record meant I had major "scene" cred. Yes, I was a nerd. Laughing very hard  

I actually got Justice the day before its street date. One of my new dorm buddies and I took a trip to the local shopping mall to get a break from all the stupid Freshman Orientation Week activities, and while nosing around the music dept. in a Crazy Eddie's store I found a whole box full of Justice cassettes on the floor in a corner, priced up and ready to go on the shelf the next day. Naturally I grabbed one and headed straight to the checkout, sweating that they might not sell it to me yet cuz it wasn't the "official" release date, but the guy behind the counter either didn't know or didn't care cuz he took my money and didn't say a word.

Needless to say, the album became the soundtrack of my freshman year. When I look back at it now, I'm a bit more critical of than I was back then ("Where's the bass? Why is the production so brittle? Why is the title track so friggin' long?") but at that time Justice was the greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I was concerned.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm pretty much the opposite of FF on this one. Over the years I've become less critical and realised that it's a flawed gem. At the time I hated the sound of it and it was the end of a love affair.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 1:30 pm

CrookedCross wrote:
I saw RIP Magazine and another page on Facebook had erroneously posted this album as being released on August 25th, 1988 Saturday (the Wikipedia page is now showing August 25th, also - I checked there Saturday and August 25th and September 5th(?) were both listed on the page in different spots, no idea why) - the actual release date was Tuesday, September the 6th, 1988. Hard to believe it will be 30 years, though - I still remember getting out of school that day and going to my friend Kyle's, firing-up the bong and listening to the albums on his turntable. To this day one of my all-time favorites.

https://www.metallica.com/releases/albums/4212/and-justice-for-all
I thought that date was wrong, cause that's my birthday and I would remember if that album was released on it or not.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 1:38 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm pretty much the opposite of FF on this one. Over the years I've become less critical and realised that it's a flawed gem. At the time I hated the sound of it and it was the end of a love affair.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the album to this day, but as I've gotten older I've obviously grown out of the "Holy sh** this is the BEST ALBUM EVERRRRRR" mindset I had when it was current, haha.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Anybody remember a NFL Films compilation of hardest hits/tackles that used "The Shortest Straw?" I swear I saw this back in like '89 or '90.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6338

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 3:32 pm

Never liked it much. But it does have good moments.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 8:25 pm

To this day I still enjoy the album. It was my introduction to real metal! Before that I was listening to the glam and hard rock bands like Winger and Bullet Boys. I was a late bloomer to metal in general back then. I only discovered thrash sometime in late 1990 as a high school freshman.

On a side note, (and I'm not proud of it)
I had been to a theater to see the film "Lord of the Flies", and when we returned back to the parking lot I noticed the car next to ours had the window down and I saw the cassette single that had "Eye of the Beholder". So I ended up grabbing it and the rest is history! Not long after that I bought the Garage Days $5.98 EP and instantly became a big fan until the next year when the Black Album was released. I was shocked at the style change they made, but over the years I've grown to enjoy it's non radio "deep tacks".

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2018 9:47 pm

nevermore wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think it's supposed to be reissued in November.

Oh, cool. I loves me some Deluxe Editions. I have a couple of boots from this tour, so I hope for some rarities (if there are any left) and maybe some good demos/ alternative takes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Today!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next