Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

38 years ago today

Go down 
+3
Troublezone
Lari
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 11:40 am

10th September 1981 Iron Maiden played at the Odd Fellow's Mansion in Copenhagen and it was Paul Di'Anno's last ever show as a member of the band.

When they got back to England, Bruce Dickinson was hired and he mopped up the final 5 remaining shows left on the tour.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm

No offense to Di'Anno, but that was the one of the best moves Iron Maiden ever made.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 pm

007 wrote:
No offense to Di'Anno, but that was the one of the best moves Iron Maiden ever made.
In hindsight, yes, but those two albums they did were both great. 

Di'Anno said he wasn't really "fired" fired. More like he felt like it wasn't happening anymore, and the band felt it wasn't working, and he may have had different priorities at the time (alcohol). He got money out of the split, so everybody was happy. Sold off his royalties to Rod Smallwood. Probably didn't know how big a metal band from East London could get.

But anyway, those first two albums were magical. I'm playing Killers now and it's always a great listen. Another Life is brilliance. And Purgatory. I would have loved to see Maiden back in 1981. The original Beast.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 6:48 pm

I love the albums DiAnno was on, but I think they were very limited with him. Bruce is the total package. A powerhouse voice and energetic stage presence (still to this day).

They definitely made the right choice!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 7:25 pm

The fact that it's been 38 years shows that really Paul was a small player in the IM story but I love the albums he made with them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Lari wrote:
007 wrote:
In hindsight, yes, but those two albums they did were both great. 

Di'Anno said he wasn't really "fired" fired. More like he felt like it wasn't happening anymore, and the band felt it wasn't working, and he may have had different priorities at the time (alcohol). He got money out of the split, so everybody was happy. Sold off his royalties to Rod Smallwood. Probably didn't know how big a metal band from East London could get.

But anyway, those first two albums were magical. I'm playing Killers now and it's always a great listen. Another Life is brilliance. And Purgatory. I would have loved to see Maiden back in 1981. The original Beast.

I just listened to Killers today. Great listen (as well as the debut too). But once Dickinson was brought on board, the band went to the top.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2019 4:51 am

Troublezone wrote:
I love the albums DiAnno was on, but I think they were very limited with him. Bruce is the total package. A powerhouse voice and energetic stage presence (still to this day).

They definitely made the right choice!

I agree with you 100%!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2019 9:13 am

Pretty much agree with what's been said. Paul was good but compared to Bruce kind of limited and his drinking probably was hurting the business model Steve had in mind.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Like everyone else, I believe Bruce was the best for them. I like the Paul albums (Killers is one of my top 5 Maiden albums) but Bruce is one of my all time favorite vocalists (the rest of my top 5 are all Bruce albums) and a big inspiration for my love of singing.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

38 years ago today Empty
PostSubject: Re: 38 years ago today   38 years ago today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

38 years ago today
Page 1 of 1