Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Favorite Power Metal Band?

Go down 
+22
Olafsto
ghost
SAHB Healer
White_Mage
mr.electric39
nevermore
Invader
candlemass
Temple of Blood
ultmetal
Rex
kmorg
scottmitchell74
MoonChild
Vordul
Thrasher73
A Handful of Wayne
INVADERS
mc666
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
MetalRob331
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 4:45 pm

kmorg wrote:
The GENUINE power metal:

Metal Church
Helstar
Deadly Blessing
Heretic
Jag Panzer
Iced Earth
Sanctuary
Screamer
Vicious Rumors
Destiny's End
New Eden

and many, many others

The MODERN definition of power metal (in othe words, melodic speed metal bands copying Helloween):

Helloween
Edguy
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Axel Rudi Pell
Rhapsody
Vision Divine
Scanner
Firewind
Steel Attack
Pagan's Mind
Highland Glory
Running Wild
Rage
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nostradameus
Brainstorm
Symphorce

and many, many more

The only glaring mistake I see in that list is that you placed Helloween under the Modern definition of power metal bands when you stated just before these are bands that copied Helloween's style. How that is that possible?!

I also think Rage, Running Wild and Scanner are forerunners to the movement, and therefore belong in the original list as well.

I'm not really a 'power metal' fan, I prefer the original 80s heavy metal bands that prefaced what was to come. The only two examples of 90s power metal I dig are (early) Iced Earth and (early) Stratovarius.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:18 pm

Heeereee We Go!!!!! (keep in mind this is NWOBHM, classic metal, power/prog, speed metal, modern power metal...the works)

Angra, Antithesis, Avantaisa, Axel Rudi Pell, Axenstar,Balance Of Power, Barren Cross, Blind Guardian, Black Sabbath with Dio, Blind Guardian, Bruce Dickinson,
Circle II Circle, Cryonic Temple, DawnRider, Domain, Doro, Dragonforce, Dragonland
Dynasty, Edguy, Edenbridge, Emerald Sun, Final Axe, Firewind, Gallowglass, Gamma Ray, Gothic Knights, Grave Digger, Halford, Hammerfall, Heartcry, Helloween, Human Fortress, Iced Earth, Impellitteri, Iron Maiden (not power per say, but godfathers of), Jacob's Dream, Jag Panzer, Jon Oliva's Pain, Judas Priest (see Maiden), Kamelot, Kategory V, King Diamond, Luca Turilli, Majestic Vanguard, Masterplan, Metal Church, Metalium, Mob Rules, Motorhead (again godfathers of PM), Narnia, Nevermore, Nightwish, Nocturnal Rites, Oil, Primal Fear, Pyramaze, old Queensryche, Rainbow w/ Dio (godfathers), The Revoltons, Rhapsody, Rising Faith, Rob Rock, Running Wild, Royal Hunt, Sacred Warrior, Savatage, Seventh Avenue, Shinning Star, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Theocracy, Thunderstone, Tribuzy, Twisted Tower Dire, U.D.O., Visions Of Atlantis, Warlock, and Yngwie.

Those are the ones I have albums from at this time. Others I like:

Wisdom Call
Sons Of Thunder
Oratorio
Steel Prophet
Angel Dust
Oratory
Pagan's Mind
Shadow Keep
Total Eclipse
Wizard
Zandelle
Black Majesty
Gun Barrel
Lana Lane
Magic Kingdom
Ayenna
Laudamus
Iron Savior
Virgin Steele
Saxon
Mercyful Fate

There are probably more out there but this list is long enough.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 pm

decapitate wrote:
kmorg wrote:
The GENUINE power metal:

Metal Church
Helstar
Deadly Blessing
Heretic
Jag Panzer
Iced Earth
Sanctuary
Screamer
Vicious Rumors
Destiny's End
New Eden

and many, many others

The MODERN definition of power metal (in othe words, melodic speed metal bands copying Helloween):

Helloween
Edguy
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Axel Rudi Pell
Rhapsody
Vision Divine
Scanner
Firewind
Steel Attack
Pagan's Mind
Highland Glory
Running Wild
Rage
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nostradameus
Brainstorm
Symphorce

and many, many more

The only glaring mistake I see in that list is that you placed Helloween under the Modern definition of power metal bands when you stated just before these are bands that copied Helloween's style. How that is that possible?!

I also think Rage, Running Wild and Scanner are forerunners to the movement, and therefore belong in the original list as well.

No, Helloween belongs to the second list becasue they were never really power metal. They started out as a speed metal act, but softened up, becoming more melodic, and less speedy. Thus I have always called them melodic speed metal, NOT power metal. Only problem is that today people call every metal band that adotped their style power metal, so by todays definition Helloween must be a power metal band too.

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 1:13 am

kmorg wrote:
decapitate wrote:
kmorg wrote:
The GENUINE power metal:

Metal Church
Helstar
Deadly Blessing
Heretic
Jag Panzer
Iced Earth
Sanctuary
Screamer
Vicious Rumors
Destiny's End
New Eden

and many, many others

Helloween
Edguy
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Axel Rudi Pell
Rhapsody
Vision Divine
Scanner
Firewind
Steel Attack
Pagan's Mind
Highland Glory
Running Wild
Rage
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarius
Nostradameus
Brainstorm
Symphorce

and many, many more

No, Helloween belongs to the second list becasue they were never really power metal. They started out as a speed metal act, but softened up, becoming more melodic, and less speedy. Thus I have always called them melodic speed metal, NOT power metal. Only problem is that today people call every metal band that adotped their style power metal, so by todays definition Helloween must be a power metal band too.

I don't think you understood. You placed Helloween in the second list as part of bands that copied Helloween's style. Is there another Helloween I should know about? Helloween copied Helloween? It doesn't make sense.

And I'm aware Helloween started out as speed metal. But by the time of the "Keeper" albums, they were no longer 'speed' of any sorts, not even melodic speed metal. They were purely a power metal band by that point.

And by power metal, I mean power metal along the lines of your first list: Screamer, Vicious Rumors, Sanctuary, etc. Not the crap ass bands like Hammerfall or Sonata Arctica.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:32 pm

GAMMA RAY
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25905

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Helloween
Blind Guardian
Edguy
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:50 pm

scratch angry surprised thinking

I'm so confused after reading this thread.... I mean... I've followed metal for over 28 years.... genres of subgenres.... of subsub genres.....

I like heavy metal........... maiden to def leppard (hard rock sorry, oh wait pop rock) to rush ( progressive sorry) to led zeppelin (classic rock sorry).... to Hammerfall (power metal or heavy metal... sounds like priest heavy to me....) To Riot (melodic metal?) to Stratovarious (?) to oh I give up....

just having a little fun guys... Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:

I'm so confused after reading this thread.... I mean... I've followed metal for over 28 years.... genres of subgenres.... of subsub genres.....

I like heavy metal........... maiden to def leppard (hard rock sorry, oh wait pop rock) to rush ( progressive sorry) to led zeppelin (classic rock sorry).... to Hammerfall (power metal or heavy metal... sounds like priest heavy to me....) To Riot (melodic metal?) to Stratovarious (?) to oh I give up....

I'm inclined to agree with you. Just let metal be metal and damn the genre (I only seperate by genre in my library for easy access).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 pm

Dio \m/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:57 pm

+ more
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 10:59 pm

Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Manowar_logoFavorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 150018_logo
Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 SavatageLogo2
Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 LogoFavorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Ronnie2
Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 PrimalFearLogo
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:55 am

angry Yes, I got sick of this controversy a long time ago.

But two things most people here know about me already...

1. I have no bloody idea what power metal is right now.

2. I absolutely love Tad Morose & Veni Domine (hey, check out track #3 on "Tounges"!) And Tarot is coming along nicely, though I haven't heard "Crows Fly Back" yet.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 3:30 am

I like lots of Power Metal. But my favorites are:

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Stratovarius
Primal Fear

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Angel Of Eden

http://www.myspace.com/angelofedenband

🤘

Wow! I like this one... never heard of it before...
🤘
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:21 am

DallasBlack wrote:
mr.electric39 wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you. Just let metal be metal and damn the genre (I only seperate by genre in my library for easy access).

This is how I feel about this too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:29 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
angry Yes, I got sick of this controversy a long time ago.

But two things most people here know about me already...

1. I have no bloody idea what power metal is right now.

2. I absolutely love Tad Morose & Veni Domine (hey, check out track #3 on "Tounges"!) And Tarot is coming along nicely, though I haven't heard "Crows Fly Back" yet.

Can`t help you with your point 1. because I have no bloody idea myself Smile
As for TAROT, you should get it asap, Crows fly black is an awesome album.
Will check out VENI DOMINE, never heard them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:33 pm

If it helps any here is how my playlists are organized and labeled.

1. "Classic Power Metal"- mostly from the 80's
2. "Modern Power Metal"- starts in the early 90s

Since there isn't much between 90-95, it's easy to sort them that way. Many bands are included in both catagories, but more by era than by band. (Helloween etc.) Some people would prefer the term "Traditional" for the older stuff, but I have a lot of Euro stuff that I wouldn't really call traditional in there, so I just call it Classic Power Metal. Beyond that, screw you guys, all of you! Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 19976
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:39 pm

I stand screwed!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:48 pm

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:56 pm

Gothic Metal perhaps, wasn't that what it was called back in the 80's. I got burned out by alot of this stuff, most of it lacks new ideas and identity. Although i will say Blind Guardian are an amazing band, that big twisted Queen influence they have keeps me coming back to them.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

It wasn't until I started hanging around the CMR and HofM about 2 1/3 years ago that I used these many, many sub genre terms. I had hard music in these basic lumped categories:

Hard Rock

Heavy Metal

Speed Metal

Death Metal

Black Metal

For me a band had to fit into one of these because I knew of no other name.

I'm enlightened now! (But still fuzzy quite often!)
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:01 pm

For bands that have permanent keyboardists, I call it symphonic power. If keyboards are used sparingly or not at all, I call it just power metal (I used to call it raw power metal) and if it is power/progressive I call it progressive metal. These days I rarely even bother naming it because I've grown tired of trying to pigeonhole certain bands. On my next day off I will figure out loose categories to put them in.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
If it helps any here is how my playlists are organized and labeled.

1. "Classic Power Metal"- mostly from the 80's
2. "Modern Power Metal"- starts in the early 90s

Since there isn't much between 90-95, it's easy to sort them that way. Many bands are included in both catagories, but more by era than by band. (Helloween etc.) Some people would prefer the term "Traditional" for the older stuff, but I have a lot of Euro stuff that I wouldn't really call traditional in there, so I just call it Classic Power Metal. Beyond that, screw you guys, all of you! Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 19976

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! Laughing very hard

gotta love it.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4603

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 9:25 pm

For me:

Grave Digger

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 am

the only band i actually listen to where they are classed as a power metal band is Iced Earth
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 6:05 am

Freedom Call and Silent Force have become favorites of mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Power Metal Band?   Favorite Power Metal Band? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Power Metal Band?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next