Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First power metal band EVER?

Go down 
+15
firestarter
James B.
kmorg
allthingsmetal
Fat Freddy
metalhead777
Temple of Blood
exact33
Gilbert
stepcousin
ultmetal
romeolimagolf
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
19 posters
AuthorMessage
holydiver97595
The Prophet of Dio
holydiver97595

Number of posts : 1348

First power metal band EVER? Empty
PostSubject: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 6:57 pm

I know it's tough to tell, and these genres are sometimes quite vague, but what do you all think was the first power metal band in existence? The earliest I have is 1987 with Savatage's Hall Of The Mountain King. Is there much else that's earlier? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My library was screwed up due to some update; anyway, Helloween's Walls Of Jericho is my first.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/demonousmetal

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Metal Church released in 1984 as did Omen's, Battle Cry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:17 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
Metal Church released in 1984 as did Omen's, Battle Cry.

and Helstar's Burning Star
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:26 pm

Well there are 2 different types of Power Metal (which I learned, on here) US Power Metal and Euro Power Metal.

I still don't believe in the US Power Metal to me it was either Heavy Metal or Thrash. Anyway.... I think I'm with you Helloween's Walls Of Jericho was the first Power Metal album.

Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 pm

that depends on your defenition of Power Metal doesn't it? As I understand it, "Power Metal" was a term originally used to describe a more aggressive, thrash style of metal, and not the flowery, happy metal with songs about unicorns and dragons that we know and love today. So do you go with the original definition or the modern one? If you go with the original, the first band to call themselves "power metal" I believe were Pantera.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Power metal was those bands that were too fast/heavy for traditional heavy metal but not quite as fast/heavy as thrash bands, thus POWER metal.

Metal Church were the very definition of Power Metal.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 pm

romeolimagolf wrote:
that depends on your defenition of Power Metal doesn't it? As I understand it, "Power Metal" was a term originally used to describe a more aggressive, thrash style of metal, and not the flowery, happy metal with songs about unicorns and dragons that we know and love today. So do you go with the original definition or the modern one? If you go with the original, the first band to call themselves "power metal" I believe were Pantera.

yeah, back in the mid 80's I was taught that Power Metal was stuff like Metal Church, Master Of Puppets type stuff. Fast-forward years later and people are calling power metal stuff the European speed type stuff so I dont even know what the heck it is anymore.

So I'm assuming that under the old definition, it would be Metal Church's s/t album. Under the newer definition, I suppose I would go with Helloween's Walls, or even their s/t album with Starlight, Murderer, etc...

I know that Ult wrote a big post once that was pretty much spot-on about the history of thrash, power, speed, etc...Maybe it's time for a refresher course there pal Smile
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 am

I think it has to be Metal church.

I was listening to blessing in disguise on my way to work this morning.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 8:15 am

Gilbert wrote:
I think it has to be Metal church.

I was listening to blessing in disguise on my way to work this morning.

headbanger

Great album!! I would go with Helloween personally but Metal church is a good pick too..

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39570

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 9:15 am

ultmetal wrote:
Power metal was those bands that were too fast/heavy for traditional heavy metal but not quite as fast/heavy as thrash bands, thus POWER metal.

Metal Church were the very definition of Power Metal.

The first and the best , as far as I'm concerned. (Helloween ain't too shabby either)
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:52 am

Walls of jericho is also outstanding.

Although i'm more of the Deris era fan.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

As far as what most people nowadays call "power metal" the first (and best) band would be HELLOWEEN.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm

Possibly omen...I'm not quite sure what the TRUE first would be!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37644

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 12:55 pm

I vaguely remember Metallica being called "Power Metal" back in the KILL'EM ALL days...

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:33 pm

Flotsam and Jetsam referred to themselves as 'power metal' on their first album--but it doen't really apply.
I would go with Helloween.
And if we boiled it down one more degree, we'd find Iron Maiden.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I vaguely remember Metallica being called "Power Metal" back in the KILL'EM ALL days...

They had a demo named "power metal", before Kill 'em All.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 1:40 pm

kmorg wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

They had a demo named "power metal", before Kill 'em All.

Well, there you go. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 2:57 pm

There are some goofy songs in Iron Maiden's discography that would fit nicely under the power metal umbrella; "Flash Of The Blade", "Sun And Steel", "The Duellists", "Quest For Fire"...all the cheesy imagery and overly catchy pop-influenced arrangements scream today's definition of "Power Metal".
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:03 pm

detuned wrote:
There are some goofy songs in Iron Maiden's discography that would fit nicely under the power metal umbrella; "Flash Of The Blade", "Sun And Steel", "The Duellists", "Quest For Fire"...all the cheesy imagery and overly catchy pop-influenced arrangements scream today's definition of "Power Metal".

"In the daaaaayyyyyys when di-no-saurs walked the earrrrrrrrrth...." \'arry \'eadbanger

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12615

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Savage Grace was "borderline" speed/power metal on "Scepters of Deceit" Metal Massacre II (1982) and "The Dominatress" EP (1983)

Again, all dependes on what "is"... is

Metal student
Metal student
firestarter

Number of posts : 109

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 pm

From what we called Power Metal in the 80s, the earliest albums would be:

Hawaii - One Nation Underground (83)
Wild Dogs - Wild Dogs (83)
Back to top Go down
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 816

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 pm

firestarter wrote:
From what we called Power Metal in the 80s, the earliest albums would be:

Hawaii - One Nation Underground (83)
Wild Dogs - Wild Dogs (83
)

I have not heard these two in over 20 years, but if memory serves me, I would whole heartedly agree.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am

Rainbow - Long Live Rock'n'Roll

Songs like Kill the King were totally power metal and influential to what became the European power metal scene.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 6:09 am

ahhh, yes, plodding songs like Rainbow's "Stargazer" could almost fit the Power Metal category
That song structure/style seems to be what I think of when I hear the term.

Though a lot of the bands mentioned and more - Metallica, Omen, Metal Church, Overkill, Exciter, Liege Lord, Jag Panzer, etc all used to be labelled Power Metal right before the term "thrash metal" seemed to be mentioned everywhere almost overnight when I looked in fanzines and mags in 1985, and The Big Four were the bands to be compared to if they fit the genre.
Back to top Go down
labrekk
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 8:48 am

One of the first power metal discs for me came from France in 1983. The H-BOMB - Coup De Metal EP. This was one of the first with speedy double bass stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First power metal band EVER?   First power metal band EVER? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First power metal band EVER?
Page 1 of 1