Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mastedon reunion?

Go down 
+13
James B.
shamgar75
Dave the Boss
Metallic Blaze
thejokeriv
stepcousin
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
fishingd
kmorg
DallasBlack
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 4:02 pm

James B. wrote:
Mastedon was a contributing factor to the break up of Emerald. I still hate the programmed drums they (Elefante Bros) Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Angry used for California Metal 2. Always have liked John's voice but him and his brother had the habit of polishing a band in studio while removing thier balls.

The budget for a comp CD release probably wasn't very big so they were most likely forced to use programmed drums as opposed to finding drummers to play on the different songs.

IMO, the Elefante's made BARREN CROSS plenty heavy...just polished the backing vocals, mastering, etc.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 12:35 am

James B. wrote:
Mastedon was a contributing factor to the break up of Emerald. I still hate the programmed drums they (Elefante Bros) Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Angry used for California Metal 2. Always have liked John's voice but him and his brother had the habit of polishing a band in studio while removing thier balls.

This is also a huge reason why Soldier broke up. I remember reading an interview with them after the fact.

I love John and Dino's music. They did a great job on Petra and Barren Cross. Mastedon was also good.

However, I agree to some extent. Their 'signature' sound started to sound a bit redundant in early 90s Christian metal. It started to sound 'stale', and ultimately contributed to Christian metal's downfall in the mid 90s.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:07 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:

The budget for a comp CD release probably wasn't very big so they were most likely forced to use programmed drums as opposed to finding drummers to play on the different songs.

IMO, the Elefante's made BARREN CROSS plenty heavy...just polished the backing vocals, mastering, etc.

agree about BC Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Headbang

The drummer was there and willing to play. The Elephante's had too much other stuff going on and didn't have the time to set up a kit and mike it properly. Bands were given a choice, either have your tune(s) with programmed drums or another band will take your place.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12635

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 7:15 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
James B. wrote:

This is also a huge reason why Soldier broke up. I remember reading an interview with them after the fact.

I love John and Dino's music. They did a great job on Petra and Barren Cross. Mastedon was also good.

However, I agree to some extent. Their 'signature' sound started to sound a bit redundant in early 90s Christian metal. It started to sound 'stale', and ultimately contributed to Christian metal's downfall in the mid 90s.

They contributed to Emerald's demise by continuing to ask Larry to quit and join a touring version of Mastedon, He eventually did and the Mastedon thing didn't materialize. It was a very lame situation and certain individuals integrity was shown to be lacking BIG TIME.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Oh that sucks about Emerald. They had a lot of potential too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2009 2:43 pm

I don't see how being forced into programmed drums on a single compilation song can cause a band to break up.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 13, 2009 12:05 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't see how being forced into programmed drums on a single compilation song can cause a band to break up.

From what I read ... and this was a long time ago - but Soldier was just pissed because they were told the outcome would be much different than it was. Those two songs on CMII were the first signed songs Soldier had ever put out. It was their initial breakthrough into the market.

If you listen to Soldier's first two demos (both of which I have), they were actually quite heavy and had their own sound. Very original. When they released their second demo, "Babylon", it was hailed with much acclaim! Many had high hopes for this band (myself included).

But they were devastated with the outcome. They sounded like a heavy "Petra" or "Mastedon" now. Whereas before they had a strong Dokken-esque vibe circa "Tooth and Nail" going on.

Anyway ... I always liked "California Metal II", but from what I have heard ... and from many of those who were there. This was quite a dramatic affair. Almost all the bands were pissed with the outcome. They wanted an outcome much like the original "California Metal" album. A heavy, crisp production. Not a fluffy "Petra" sounding end result.

Anyway ... this might be me and how I interpreted what I heard at the time. But I was very aware of this controversy back then. Even though I was only like 15 at the time.

Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 4:05 pm

Getting back to Mastedon...this album is very good!

It's got hints of John's style from the first couple Mastedon albums, but with more up to date production...overall, it's a blend of John's entire musical legacy...a mix of Kansas, Mastedon & his solo stuff...I am loving it!!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 7:58 pm

where did you get it?

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2009 8:12 pm

To review...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37658

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 8:50 pm

I just found Mastedon's LOFCAUDIO for a buck at the local thrift shop. The booklet is heavily water damaged but the CD itself plays fine (thus far anyway... I've only listened to two tracks so far). Did I do good? I seem to remember that this particular disc tends to go for stoooopid $$ on eBay.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:00 pm

If you can listen to the CD without skips, you got a good deal...they're on Amazon for between $38 and $180...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I just found Mastedon's LOFCAUDIO for a buck at the local thrift shop. The booklet is heavily water damaged but the CD itself plays fine (thus far anyway... I've only listened to two tracks so far). Did I do good? I seem to remember that this particular disc tends to go for stoooopid $$ on eBay.

Good deal!!! I only have this one on cassette - I need to upgrade!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
If you can listen to the CD without skips, you got a good deal...they're on Amazon for between $38 and $180...

Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 778825 Woot! Viva Le Thrift Shop!

thejokeriv wrote:

Tell ya what, I'm not even sure if this band is my kinda thang yet, I mainly picked it up due to the name recognition (I've only heard one other Mastedon song previously). If, after listening to it a few times and it turns out to be not my thang, (assuming the CD plays OK), maybe we can swing a trade, what say?

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 778825 Woot! Viva Le Thrift Shop!

thejokeriv wrote:

Tell ya what, I'm not even sure if this band is my kinda thang yet, I mainly picked it up due to the name recognition (I've only heard one other Mastedon song previously). If, after listening to it a few times and it turns out to be not my thang, (assuming the CD plays OK), maybe we can swing a trade, what say?

Sure - that could work!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 11:48 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I need to upgrade too. Both of those early Mastedon albums in fact. They just reissued their first one, "It's a Jungle Out There" with the release of their new album. Does anyone know if they are planning on doing the same with "Lofcaudio"?
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 5:31 am

NEH has the new one and the re-release of Jungle now!

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:41 pm

So hey, I'm giving the LOFCAUDIO disc I found yesterday its first full spin right now... not the kinda stuff I listen to a lot of but it's pretty good nonetheless... I get a lot of Night Ranger/Styx/Van Hagar vibe from it...

So I guess it'll be a keeper for now at least (sorry Joker!).

I hear that their first album (IT'S A JUNGLE OUT THERE) rocks a bit harder than LOFCAUDIO, which leans more towards the AOR end of things. Can anyone confirm? (Sorry, I'm obviously a total noob to this band/project)...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 pm

Jungle has one song that is harder than the other stuff, the title track, but overall it's in the same vein...

The new album is FANTASTIC!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Jungle has one song that is harder than the other stuff, the title track, but overall it's in the same vein...

Cool, maybe I'll check it out if I ever stumble across it, but I'm in no hurry. The Wiki entry for JUNGLE sez that David Robbins (X-Sinner) sings lead on one song, I'd like to hear that track. I was a big geek for that band back in the day. Laughing

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 7:32 pm

FF- No worries!!! The first one does rock harder than the second one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 7:41 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Cool, maybe I'll check it out if I ever stumble across it, but I'm in no hurry. The Wiki entry for JUNGLE sez that David Robbins (X-Sinner) sings lead on one song, I'd like to hear that track. I was a big geek for that band back in the day. Laughing

He's the one who sings the title track...sounded like Tom Keifer...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 7:49 pm

1$? That's an outstanding find. I think the first one had three or four harder songs.
Anyone know anything about Perry Lee? I love the two songs he sings and i've never heard of Tracer Fox except on their liner notes.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 10:42 pm

Yeah, I would say the first one is a bit heavier, but like Shawn pointed out - they are both in the same vein.

However, I think the first one is a bit better. However, both albums are great!

1. It's a Jungle Out There 9/10
2. Lofcaudio 8.5/10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 4:22 pm

Just spun Mastedon III again...IMO, it's a perfect A+. John Elefante has one of the best voices in Rock history...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mastedon reunion?   Mastedon reunion? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mastedon reunion?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next