Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The RIAA has lost their minds!

Go down 
+14
ensiferum2k
stormspell
Required Fields
Chairman_Smith
Thrasher73
exact33
Hamer12
7thSecond
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
krokus
mc666
ultmetal
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 4:43 pm

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071005/094552.shtml

What about playing music loud enough that others can hear it? Yep. Copyright infringement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 4:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20071005/094552.shtml

Quote :
if you fart and someone smells it are they violating your butt?

I love that response to this article. Smile
Back to top Go down
ensiferum2k
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ensiferum2k

Number of posts : 340

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 4:53 pm

Screw the RIAA. They know darn well know how to sell more albums and that's by lowering the price, but the labels won't do it. They rather stuff a DVD of bootleg material and still try to sell it at regular prices. CDs are competing against video games and cheap DVDs now. This isn't the early 90s anymore when cds had less competition for the entertaintment dollar, they have to adapt if they want to be stay relevant. Gimme 5-8 dollar new releases or I'll continue to buy the majority of my music used.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:01 pm

Or...have a 5.88 bin of 5 year old or earlier releases. Why the heck is Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell still $11.98, but I can get every Meat Loaf's movies for $6.00 a piece?
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 5:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I copies this information off another site, but thought this might make for an interesting discussion.

Apparently all of us criminal mp3 player owners out there should start shaking in our boots because the RIAA is coming after us.

Here is a brief excerpt from the article:

Quote :
The RIAA, which lobbies on behalf of a music industry hammered by tumbling sales as fans increasingly turn to free downloads and file sharing for their listening pleasure, insists that it is illegal for someone who has legally bought a CD to transfer that music into his computer.

The rest of the article can be found here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/31/riaa_cds_copies_computer/

Wow! That is insane. I have spend thousands and thousands of dollars on records, tapes and CDs over the years. I own several thousand CDs. In the 80's and 90's I made myself a tape copy of my CDs to listen to in my car. What's the difference if I make an MP3 copy of my CD to listen to as long as I paid for the CD.

Shoot, in some cases, I have purchased the same album over several times. I still own some albums in both CD and vinyl format. How ridiculous to say I cannot put the songs on my iPod.

ult

What do you all think?

Couldn't have said it any better.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 7:44 pm

mc666 wrote:

i doubt you'll find anyone here who would argue against that. my problem was more with the notion that i cannot rip my cds onto my ipod to enjoy them on the go. i find the whole idea of criminalizing that to be outlandish. i seriously doubt anything like that would fly in a court of law, however just the idea of it pisses me off.

To be honest I dont know what intentions that RIAA has based the articles. The lack of information and the fact that the reporter omitted some important facts leads me to question what exactly was being filed in the brief. I dont think based on the amount of caselaw that they have any argument to make ripping cds for own use criminal. If they did I am sure they would have found someone by now who rips and sued them.

I am sure they would like to but how are they really going to monitor it? My vista media player autorips stuff when you place the cd in the drive. It would be pretty hard to establish intent. The RIAA is just barking and while some low level judge may try to make waves I do not think anything will change fair use for own personal use.

Alex

thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 9:11 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Or...have a 5.88 bin of 5 year old or earlier releases. Why the heck is Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell still $11.98, but I can get every Meat Loaf's movies for $6.00 a piece?

Because Bat Out Of Hell still sells - general principal of supply and demand. I'm sure you find other CD's in Meat's back catalog that don't have the words "bat" and "hell" in the title at a discount. Look at the Led Zepplin releases. A few years back when I worked for AOL I was at a company wide (all parts of time warner) recruiting meeting. At the time, Warner Music was still part of Time Warner. The recruiters at Warner Music did a presentation on their business model. The had a slide on their biggest sellers - Led Zepplin was # 1, their back catalog still sells like crazy. Madonna was high on the list, as was AC/DC and Metallica (I think Metallica was right behind Madonna in terms of albums sold at the time). At the time, they were selling millions of copies of the back catalog a year. They never drop the price of the big sellers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 10:13 pm

Wow, the RIAA really made some good points. I'll read the article again tomorrow as a way to pass the time while I put some CDs in the iPod.
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2007 10:59 pm

This is crazy, how can backing up the cd you paid for be illegal? I rip all of my cd's to my ipod. I don't understand where the RIAA is going with this. If they are suggesting that in addition to buying the cd you must also purchase a copy for you ipod and computer then wouldn't that just expediate the end of the cd. Who is going to buy the same album twice or more to stay legal. I really enjoy having the media, but not at the price of paying twice. If need be I would be forced into buying the album for my ipod instead of the media (which I would rather have). I am all for copyright protection, but this is rediculous.

How about offering an enhanced cd that can be copied at a higher price and the regular cd that can't be copied.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 12:17 am

7thSecond wrote:
This is totally ridiculous. I put all of my cd's on my computer and then burn them for playing elsewhere so as not to scratch my originals. How awful of me wanting to protect my investments.

Same here. That is ubber rediculous and really uninforcable. I mean, how in the hell could they inforce that... put a homing device on the CD that alerts them when they are put in a computer? Suspect
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 am

thejokeriv wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

Because Bat Out Of Hell still sells - general principal of supply and demand. I'm sure you find other CD's in Meat's back catalog that don't have the words "bat" and "hell" in the title at a discount. Look at the Led Zepplin releases. A few years back when I worked for AOL I was at a company wide (all parts of time warner) recruiting meeting. At the time, Warner Music was still part of Time Warner. The recruiters at Warner Music did a presentation on their business model. The had a slide on their biggest sellers - Led Zepplin was # 1, their back catalog still sells like crazy. Madonna was high on the list, as was AC/DC and Metallica (I think Metallica was right behind Madonna in terms of albums sold at the time). At the time, they were selling millions of copies of the back catalog a year. They never drop the price of the big sellers.

That make sence. For exemple in Spain you can find all AC/DC albums very cheap, only BACK IN BLACK is more expensive and in some stores i found HIGHWAY TO HELL to be more expensive too, then the rest of AC/DC back catalog.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Rampant
Insanity
And
Avarice

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/avarice
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The RIAA has lost their minds!   The RIAA has lost their minds! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The RIAA has lost their minds!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2