Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

They Lost Me

Go down 
+12
AchrisK
TH Joe
stars destroy
mr.electric39
ultmetal
SAHB Healer
Fat Freddy
kmorg
Thrasher73
mc666
INVADERS
MetalGuy71
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:37 pm

The flip-side to the "Band Die-Hard" question.

What band you were totally into that lost you forever with an awful release or major change in members/sound?

Metallica - "St. Anger", 'nuff said
Danzig - after Danzig 4, when he started getting into the sampling and changing band members)
Kiss - no real 'awful releases', just to many re-packing of Greatest Hits and no NEW material
Skid Row - not with Bas it ain't
Van Halen - no matter's who's behind the mic these days, it's not 1978 anymore, the magic is gone
Def Leppard - couldn't take anymore after Hysteria, although I did get "Yeah!"
Exodus - not a fan of the new singer on "Shovel Headed...", would have to hear it before buying anything new
Godsmack - liked their debut, they've been putting out the same album over and over since then

Maiden lost me during the Blaze-years, but I came back with Bruce
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:49 pm

Exodus are still a very good band with the new singer and Maiden's releases with Blaze were very good too

The only bands that have lost me were:

Machine Head: the burning red / suppercharger
Judas priest: demolition
Megadeth: Risk
Kreator: outcast / Endorma
and Obviously Metallica: St Anger
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 12:57 pm

none that "lost me forever".

i didn't like the Ripper Priest years, the Blaze Maiden years, & many albums in different bands discographies. never one that made me say..."i'll never listen to them again" though.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 1:06 pm

mc666 wrote:
none that "lost me forever".

i didn't like the Ripper Priest years, the Blaze Maiden years, & many albums in different bands discographies. never one that made me say..."i'll never listen to them again" though.

I wasn't a big Ripper fan at first, but I stuck with Priest after I saw them live with Ripper. Dude can sing, no doubt. I never really gave the Blaze-Maiden years a chance at the time, and since then, I've been in no rush to pick them up. I've got hundreds of cd's on my want list before "Virtual XI"
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 1:32 pm

yeah, don't get me wrong. i like Ripper, just not as a replacement for Halford. it was an impossible task for him to try. plus, it wasn't all his fault either. Tipton did almost all the song writing on those two albums, including the lyrics. he takes 85% of the blame for those two releases.

INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 1:36 pm

Tipton is a great guitarist but for priest to write good heavy metal, you need the Chemistry of the Tipton/ downing/ halford writing trio,

Jugulator would have been an even better album if it didn't have the stupid lyrics that tipton was writing....

Beyond Fear is an excellent metal album by the way
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 1:42 pm

Metallica lost me long before St.Anger.None other that I cant think of.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 2:16 pm

I have to say that no band will ever lose me all together, if I already ws a die-hard at one point. But there are plenty of bands I don't have as high regard for as I used to.

Metallica - "St. Anger",I agree, but still bought a ticket today to catch them live July 10th

Kiss - It's not even KISS any longer. It was fun being a collector, but now the fun has stopped.

Skid Row - I'm a pre-Subhuman Race fan

Guardian - One of the few bands I really only dig 1 album of, but still seem hell bent to own everything of!

Bride - Donæt really dig anything past Live To Die as much as those first 2 albums, but still buy everything.

Mortification - See Bride

Stryper - Reborn wasn't exactly what one could have hoped for.

Deliverance - Last great album: Wepaons! Own everything they ever released. Must say though, I still have some hope for the new one.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm

INVADERS wrote:
Tipton is a great guitarist but for priest to write good heavy metal, you need the Chemistry of the Tipton/ downing/ halford writing trio,

Jugulator would have been an even better album if it didn't have the stupid lyrics that tipton was writing....

Beyond Fear is an excellent metal album by the way

Agreed. I like everything else I've heard Ripper on (Winters Bane, IE, Beyond Fear, LIVE w/Priest), but the 2 studio albums he did with Priest were sub-par. I gave him a chance with Juglulator, but I could never get into Demolition. Had he stayed, I would probably given up on them.
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 pm

METALLICA - ST. ANGER

Definitely lost me here. I totally dug Load/Reload; they were different, but still very good for the style they were in. St. Anger was just horrible. I mean, I listen to all kinds of different styles of music, and this album failed me on every front. The productions was horrendous, for starters, so even if it were a good album it would be very hard to listen to. But that didn't matter because the songs were terrible. There were some great moments on the album, but they made up approximately 10 minutes of the entire CD. Terrible.

TESTAMENT - DEMONIC

Not a terrible album, and I do love The Gathering, but Demonic was just kind of bland. "Hatreds Rise" is one of my favorite Testament songs, but that song was very different from the rest on Demonic. I just don't get Demonic, I guess; I'm not sure what possessed the band (demons?) to write this album.

DEF LEPPARD

Def Leppard lost me with X. They've been my all-time favorite back since around 1985. I liked Adrenalize, and I loved Slang and Euphoria, and album that had many songs with an old school feel—"Paper Sun," "Day After Day," "Kings Of Oblivion." But their last album, X, just baffled me. There's a bunch of songs on the album that were written by outside songwriters, the same songwriters that have penned songs for NSync, Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears! Why? "Long, Long Way To Go" may sound like a decent Def Leppard ballad, but it wasn't written by them, and Lionel frickin' Richie also recorded a version of the song! X is a joke. Aside from the songs "Now" and "Scar," I can't stand the album. It's too light and fluffy and girly. I just don't get it at all.

Yeah! was a damn good covers album. I like it a lot. Hopefully recording these songs pushed the band back onto that rock track. I don't expect them to ever write anything like the early stuff again, but that crap on X is just a joke.

There are plenty more, I'm sure, but I'm at work and the phone is ringing and derailing my train of thought.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 5:11 pm

Metallica were the big one for me. Even though I didn't care much for the LOAD or RELOAD discs, I still bought them out of some bizarre sense of duty because Metallica had been so important to me during my formative years. ST. ANGER was the last straw though...after buying that thing and listening to it about a dozen times I realized that this was no longer even a shadow of the band I used to worship and that I was through giving them my $$.

There are a few bands that have stung me a few times, but I never gave up on them totally, however...like Judas Priest, even during the Ripper Owens era, but DEMOLITION flat-out stunk. As another poster pointed out though, the disappointment in that album can be laid almost fully at Glenn Tipton's feet, even though Ripper got most of the blame. Ripper's got a great voice and he didn't write any of those crappy songs. At that point Tipton was driving the ship and he basically handed Tim a script and said "here ya go kid, just sing'em like Rob would." When I listen to DEMOLITION (which isn't often) I get the feeling that Owens must've known he was in a no-win situation but he didn't feel it was his place to speak up. I mean, can you imagine Halford being given a god-awful song like "Close To You" or "CyberFace?" He'd be like "Bloody'ell, Glenn, I'm not singin' this one, it's shite!" Smile

I also took a brief sabbatical from Iron Maiden during the Blaze Bayley era... I gave THE X FACTOR a fair chance when it came out but hated it SO MUCH at the time that I traded it away, which is something I never dreamed I'd do to an Iron Maiden album. Skipped VIRTUAL XI entirely when it was current but a few years later I put it on my Lala.com "want list" on a whim and when I received it, I didn't think it was all that bad... not classic Maiden but certainly a better album than X FACTOR. (Though I've since re-purchased X FACTOR as well and it's not nearly as bad as I remembered from 1995 either. Maybe time has cooled my dislike of it, or the knowledge that Sir Bruce is back in the drivers' seat has allowed me to be more charitable.)

Oh, and Helloween damn near lost me after the mostly-awful PINK BUBBLES GO APE and totally-awful CHAMELEON albums... those two REALLY hurt because when they were new releases they weren't available in the U.S. so I had to pay big $$ for 'em as imports and got burned both times. Therefore, I was gunshy about buying MASTER OF THE RINGS when Andi Deris came aboard but when I finally did I was like "WOO HOO!" Andi has gone on to become my favorite Helloween vocalist.
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Skid Row - No BAS, No Skid Row

Def Leppard- One word. Slang

Metallica - Load, Re Load, St Anger. UGH, forget em

Green Day - Like the first 3 releases, they have gone to total pop garbage

Guns N Roses - The entire band is gone. Gave up on em about 10 years ago

Lacuna Coil - Love the first few releases. Karmacode? They went downtuned, and low monotone vocals. They went in a new sucky direction with the bands sound. I gave up when Cristina cussed me out in email. lol!

Marilyn Manson - Love the first release. He got so heavily involved on coke it ruined all future releases. The guitarist who was there sound quit, could not take Manson anymore. There sound sucked after Portraits, they went pop, they went crap is what they did. Perfect example of how drugs can destroy a band

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Another band that has dedicated there time and energy to decorating the mansion. They have lost the "magic" they once had

WASP - Not sure what happened? Lost interest in this great band a while ago. All there recent releases have been mediocre. Guess once Chris left, they went downhill as far as I am concerned
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Forever A Heath Bar wrote:

Why does everyone dislike Slang. I think it's a very good album, just very laid back. I wish they kept the original version of "Truth?," though. It's wicked heavy.

And Green Day have never changed. Come on. They were pop punk from day one.
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 5:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Why does everyone dislike Slang. I think it's a very good album, just very laid back. I wish they kept the original version of "Truth?," though. It's wicked heavy.

They were Pop Punk. They have gone straight up Pop. That is the difference for me. There sound has changed if you listen to Sloppy Hours and Kerplunk compared to now. Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeMon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 pm

Lacuna Coil - Love the first few releases. Karmacode? They went downtuned, and low monotone vocals. They went in a new sucky direction with the bands sound.
i still liked Karmacode. my only problem with Lacuna Coil, is that male singer will not SHUT UP. he sounds ok when he is growling/screaming (whatever you call his style), but his actual singing voice is just sad. he just ruins the songs.

SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 2:49 am

Amorphis-they went a little too far with the melodic thing

Stratovarious- Either I just got sick of them, or they kept making the same album over and over again. I still like the early stuff.

Tad Morose- still a good power metal band, but the 90's stuff with the dark keyboards was the best!

Vanhalen- one of the best concerts I ever saw in 1978; saw Van Hagar in the 80's and fell asleep (sober).

Judas Priest- I got bored with their formulaic approach right along the time they got really popular (I preferrred the 70's material). I kind of liked Ripper, but I really didn't consider that the same band.
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 3:44 am

Eyesore wrote:

They were Pop Punk. They have gone straight up Pop. That is the difference for me. There sound has changed if you listen to Sloppy Hours and Kerplunk compared to now. Just my 2 cents
I don't hear it. They've evolved a bit on certain songs, but at the core they're still the same.
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 am

SAHB Healer wrote:
Amorphis-they went a little too far with the melodic thing
Have you heard their most recent album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttr-U77wLv0

That's a weird fan video from YouTube, but the song, "Perkele (The God of Fire)," is awesome! Their newest album, Eclipse, is more like Elegy than Am Universum, Tuonela or Far From The Sun.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 7:15 pm

Cool! Amorphis Elegy was by far my fave. I'm there! Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:17 pm

Tales from the Thousand Lakes still ranks at the top of my list.

ult

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Tales from the Thousand Lakes still ranks at the top of my list.

ult
Should I add that one to the want list? always wanted to check them out
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 8:52 pm

Ronni Lee Keel
Back to top Go down

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 9:05 pm

Pantera lost me with the last 2 or 3 they did. They went from Groove Metal, to fast noise. Not really sure what style they were doing in the end. I know Phil is a hardcore Black Metal fan, and there was a vision to be heavier. The last one just sounds irritating
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeTue Feb 27, 2007 9:53 pm

Anthrax... State of Euphoria... Just couldn't get into it. Loved 'among the living', 'spreading the disease' and the 'armed and dangerous' ep..

Deliverance... after 'Weapons' forget it... odd song here or there but disappointing...

Dio... everything after 'Holy Diver'.....

Bride... after 'Snakes' it was all down hill... keep hoping...
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
stars destroy
Metal novice
Metal novice
stars destroy

Number of posts : 22

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2007 4:03 am

First band that comes to mind is Savatage. They released Gurrer Ballet and that was the end for me. THey went from great metal band to wimpy piano metal band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

They Lost Me Empty
PostSubject: Re: They Lost Me   They Lost Me Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

They Lost Me
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next