Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The hate for Point Of Entry

Go down 
+16
Luvers
Lari
Wrecked Neck
Gilbert
mc666
nevermore
assault_attack
Boris2008
80s Metal Lady
metalinmyveins
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
Fat Freddy
Thelemech
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

The hate for Point Of Entry Empty
PostSubject: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 3:42 pm

I keep reading how horrible and bland this album is supposed to be, but I like it -a lot!

It is not as great as say Killing Machine/Hell Bent For Leather or Screaming For Vengeance, yet I still find it a enjoyable listen, sometimes I like when bands go a bit out of their comfort zone.

Any fans or haters of this maligned hidden gem??
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't have any hate for it. I think it's actually pretty good. Besides Heading Out To The Highway and Desert Plains, other cool tunes are Solar Angels, Troubleshooter and Turning Circles.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 3:49 pm

"Heading Out to the Highway" was the first Priest song I ever heard, and I dug it immediately so no hate here. "Hot Rockin'," "Desert Plains" and "Solar Angels" are killer as well.

It's got a couple of clunkers on it - "You Say Yes" in particular - but it's a decent record overall.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 4:08 pm

It was the first Priest album with some really bad material on it and that's why it gets the hate. I think it's merely average, but it does have some Priest classics on it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 4:41 pm

I don't mind it. Not a go-to choice, but not a complete stinker either.

Released between the awesome British Steel and Screaming for Vengeance though, I can see why it pales in comparison. It's the week old bologna sandwiched between 2 slices of fresh-baked focaccia bread.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 4:56 pm

Love this album! Its my second favorite Priest album of all time. I like every single track. I have an original cassette of it as well as a remastered cd and 180g vinyl from Europe..
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 5:04 pm

I've grown to really love the album over the years. The obvious bitchin' songs are: Heading Out to the Highway, Solar Angels, Desert Plains and Hot Rockin'. The other songs I like to revisit are Turning Circles, Troubleshooter and On the Run.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 6:26 pm

The first side of the album is awesome. "Solar Angels" on the second side is awesome. The rest is meh to yuck.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 6:27 pm

No hate here
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 7:50 pm

"Heading Out To The Highway" Killer J.P. song.. Love the drums on this track.   The hate for Point Of Entry 604261
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25889

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2017 9:30 pm

I don't hate it. There's some good stuff on this album. Like others have said some bad stuff too. It's just the bad songs are really bad.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 1:12 am

Has quite a few good songs on it. Desert Plains, Hot Rockin'. You Say Yes, Heading Out to the Highway, On the Run...

Judas Priest have never released a total turd. Just a few mediocre albums. Although Demolition was pretty close to flushable.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 2:31 am

No hate. I love it.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 am

I think demolition is very solid. Ok it is not an instantly enjoyable album, but definitely a grower.
Subterfuge is one of my favourite priest tracks ever.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 am

I don't hate any JP album, including the Ripper stuff, Turbo, or Nostradamus. That's not to say I love everything on all their albums, but they all have enough good stuff to make up for the bad on each album. Point of Entry gets a lot of play when I am in a Priest mood. Desert Plains has always been a favorite song of mine. Really love the live version too from the US fest. Gives me chills when he hits those HIGH notes.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 am

Point of Entry is pretty tame. Songs weren't edgy enough (or not at all), and it must have confused Priest fans at the time.

It's okay for what it is, but personally, it's certainly towards the bottom of my own "favourite Priest albums ever" list. An interesting glimpse at a different side of Judas Priest, that's all.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 9:33 am

I might have been a bit hasty on my judgement. I played Point of Entry this morning on the drive into work and found it rather enjoyable. Musically, it's fine. Just some of the lyrics are a bit cheesy on a few tunes. I love 'Desert Plains'.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 10:11 am

Desert Plains has to be one Priest's best tunes. Certainly in the top 10 for me.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 11:56 am

007 wrote:
Desert Plains has to be one Priest's best tunes. Certainly in the top 10 for me.

Would be interesting to start a JP top 10 or poll!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 2:27 pm

Or a song battle.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 5:19 pm

James B. did a whole Priest thing sometime back...
http://www.heartofmetal.net/t23265-tale-of-the-tape-the-priest-polls

Luvers
Metal novice
Metal novice
Luvers

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Do not get the hate, great album for rocking out too. For me though, I usually skip the first three songs because they are too bland. Hot Rocking is okay and HOTtH is only good (to me) live. Don't Go is just laughably bad. After that, Turning Circles to Thunder Road, sans the boring All the Way, is killer.

Turning Circles, Troubleshooter, On the Run and You Say Yes are fun to play in a band with. Great rhythm sections, awesome and diverse vocal lines by Halford. Solar Angels is one of Glenn's most underrated solos and is one of the bands most overlooked tracks. Desert Plains is great, even better live, though the cover by Virgin Steele is slightly better. Check it out if you never have.

This is one of my favorite Priest albums because of the above songs. I am in the minority of Priest fans as I prefer Halford when screaming a lot less and keeping in his mid range more often. For instance, because he did the mid range during the verses of On the Run, it made the screams during the refrain more diverse and - to me anyway - a ton more effective.

I think Rob has one of the best natural mid range singing voices, the ability to make his voice authoritative and yet with a benevolent sexiness all the same. Like when he improvises during the climax of Troubleshooter, Turning Circles and You Say Yes. Rob is the best part of this album for me...

So much better than when all he did was scream every word like in Painkiller. It has some good moments but I think Painkiller is one of Rob's lesser efforts while Point of Entry was in top five.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 7:42 am

I do not love the album but I enjoy it quite a bit. I admit it has been a long time since I spun the disc but it was one of my first Judas Priest albums I bought as a kid, and I really loved a few tracks on the disc.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2017 3:51 pm

I like it. Sure, it has a few weak songs... but I enjoy the stripped down rock sound they went for.

It's a great road trip album.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2017 10:50 am

This came out when I was a senior in high school, was just getting into Priest and looking forward to a new lp. I absolutely loved it! Still do, and didn't hear anything negative about it for decades to come...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The hate for Point Of Entry   The hate for Point Of Entry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The hate for Point Of Entry
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next