Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

JP - Point of Entry

Go down 
+25
Troublezone
stepcousin
80s Metal Lady
brokentulsa
nevermore
JBall_Z
Thelemech
corplhicks
Lari
jstate
ultmetal
mc666
metalinmyveins
Witchfinder
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
MetalGuy71
manny
Fat Freddy
candlemass
29 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

JP - Point of Entry Empty
PostSubject: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 am

A lot of fans, critics, and even the band themselves, to some degree, have slagged off on this lp. It came out during my senior year in high school shortly after I discovered Priest, saw a show from the tour that year, loved it then and still do...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am

I dig it. It's a sentimental favorite of mine cuz the first Priest song I ever heard was from this album ("Headin' Out to the Highway," thanks to MTV back in the day).

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 am

A great album that I think holds up very well. 'Heading Out to the Highway', 'Desert Plains', 'Solar Angels', the album is a winner in my book
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 am

I never had any issue with it. It's got some cool tunes on it. Not top of the list when it comes to Priest, but not at the bottom of the pile either.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:47 am

I never understood the bad word of mouth for it. It's a great album and one I listen to quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:22 am

There's about half of it that I hate because I hate everything like it, but it has its great songs just like all the rest of them. It's a harebrained JP album and we have to admit they have a few. I'd love if the whole thing was more consistent in atmosphere, like 'Heading Out To The Highway', 'Solar Angels', 'Desert Plains'. Those songs accomplish this really certain 'biker' feel without lapsing into cheese city, which a lot of other bands failed at.

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am

I'd say it's a mid-tier Priest album. Their best work remains the 70s era. The best of 80s Priest is probably Defenders.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 10:52 am

I like it okay. I've discovered in recent years that Priest is not really essential to me. I pretty much just need Painkiller (the album) and then like a comp of hand-picked tracks from the rest of their albums prior to Painkiller and I'm set for Priest.

But yeah. PoE is good enough.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am

I like it, Priest is essential to me although you can pretty much keep everything after Defenders of the Faith.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am

I never had any issue with it. It's got some cool tunes on it. Not top of the list when it comes to Priest, but not at the bottom of the pile either. wrote:

Seconded.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:56 am

I like it - not their best, but certainly not their worst. I would reach for this any day of the week over Ram It Down.....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:58 am

It's half good and half garbage. Priest's worst album until they released Turbo. It was a definite misstep after British Steel.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:05 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I like it - not their best, but certainly not their worst. I would reach for this any day of the week over Ram It Down.....

I'll take it over any albums recorded after Screaming For Vengeance, I love Point Of Entry. Recorded at a time when Judas Priest seemed comfortable enough with their own identity to record a commercial little pop-saavy album and not worry about having to proclaim their metal cred on every song. I'll take a finely crafted little pop tune like Turning Circles over bonehead offerings like Eat Me Alive or All Guns Blazing any day of the week.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
It's half good and half garbage.  Priest's worst album until they released Turbo.  It was a definite misstep after British Steel.

I'm in this camp, as I for the most part echo your thoughts. I just got done listening to this album straight through, and the same five songs that I really liked before, are still those same songs (Heading Out to the Highway, Hot Rockin', Desert Plains, Solar Angels, & Troubleshooter). The songs that are really bad are "Don't Go", "You Say Yes" & "All the Way". I don't see myself ever getting into those three. There are aspects of "Turning Circles" that I like, but I don't know if I can I like this song? The one song that I may have turned the corner with is "On the Run". It's as if I didn't remember this song. Maybe it's due to the fact that the two worst songs on the album precede this last track?
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:12 pm

I don't dislike any song on that lp, just like some better than others. This lp was their first after the demise of Led Zeppelin, and there was talk of Priest now being on top of the hard rock scene. It may have influenced them to try and reach out to a broader audience by making a somewhat pop/hard rock lp as opposed to continuing in the more metal direction of British Steel...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I've always thought "You Say Yes" was kinda irritating. Something about the way Halford squeaks his way thru the chorus. "YOU say YEEEEEEEESSSS! Ahhhhh say NOOOOOO!"...it's like nails on a chalkboard.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:21 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've always thought "You Say Yes" was kinda irritating. Something about the way Halford squeaks his way thru the chorus. "YOU say YEEEEEEEESSSS! Ahhhhh say NOOOOOO!"...it's like nails on a chalkboard.

I love that song!  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I love that song!   Smile 

Man, that's one of Priest's most memorable tunes! I like it.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Yea, well, you say yes, he sez no!  Razz 
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:23 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Ok, now you've gone loopy!  \'arry \'eadbanger 
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:25 pm

It was an ok album. More laid back than the ones before it.

candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:31 pm

I really love this tune, eventually it morphed into one of my favorite tracks on the lp...

Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:32 pm

candlemass wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Ok, now you've gone loopy!  \'arry \'eadbanger 

Oh, I went loopy a long time ago. After all, I like Turbo better than British Steel! Razz
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 1:57 pm

JP - Point of Entry 499945 Shocked affraid 
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Heh, you'll get tarred for that around here. I like some of Turbo ok now but at the time, I wrote it off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JP - Point of Entry   JP - Point of Entry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JP - Point of Entry
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next