Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Empty
PostSubject: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:03 am

I had no idea Jefferson Airplane had a different female vocalist before Grace Slick. Signe Anderson who passed away the SAME day as Paul.

RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) 720x405-signe

Signe Anderson, Jefferson Airplane's original female vocalist who sang on the band's 1966 debut LP Jefferson Airplane Takes Off, passed away January 28th. Anderson was 74. No cause of death was provided, but Psychedelic Sight reports that Anderson had suffered health issues in recent years, while her former band mate Jack Casady said she recently entered a hospice facility. Anderson's death came the same day as her former band mate Paul Kantner, who passed away January 28th from multiple organ failure and septic shock.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:20 am

I didn't know Grace wasn't the original singer either.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 9:41 am

Go to about 1:38 to see her in the video

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 11:17 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Go to about 1:38 to see her in the video

That video cracks me up. I work with a guy who was in Haight Ashbury back then and he worked light shows for Airplane and Janis Joplin. He always talks about making those "oil and water" projections on the wall. He's actually met Grace Slick and Janis. One day he was telling me about this house where all the members of Airplane partied and how Grace would meet people at the door with a candy dish of acid. A few days later I saw the Behind The Music episode of Jefferson Airplane and lo and behold they showed the house, exactly like he described it.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2016 1:03 pm

I was shocked about the news myself, being a JA fan and how under reported it was. I was listening to Takes Off a few days ago. Signe was an excellent singer as well. My favorite psych band.

The 2400 Fulton House? That's cool. Don't think I've been by it in all the times I've been to The City, though.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3163

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 6:11 pm

Very unusual -
this clip is kinda odd also - about fate working -
as a side note Doug Flutie's parents died on same day also -
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 10:29 am

Loved her so much. Being younger, I discovered their music differently. What I usually do is listen through a band's work chronologically, and I listen to each album 2-3 times before I move on to the next. But anyways, I was so bummed to find that by the second album, they had a different female singer. Her voice really stood out to me, and I know it's not the popular opinion, but I definitely prefer her over Grace Slick. Jefferson Airplane Takes Off is my favorite album of the 60's and my favorite JA album, period.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)   RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Signe Anderson (Jefferson Airplane)
Page 1 of 1